PDA

View Full Version : Round 13 Match Preview: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs

westdog54
17-06-2008, 08:49 PM
A big thankyou to Twodogs for this opportunity. Having not seen a heck of a lot of football in the last month or two I'm relying on a lot of second hand info for this preview.

That having been said...

Last Time Out

Round 8, 2007

Western Bulldogs 5.3 8.8 15.12 20.15 135
Collingwood Magpies 5.3 11.7 13.13 14.18 102

Attendance: 46,990 at TD.

Leading Goalkickers: A. Cooney, S. Higgins 4; A. Rocca 3.

Brownlow Votes: 3: A Cooney, 2: S West, 1: S Higgins

After an even first quarter Collingwood started to assert their dominance to take a 17 point lead to the long break. From there, the Bulldogs ran riot, kicking 12 goals to 3 in the second half to win by 33 points. Led by a rejuvenated Jason Akermanis, the second half was all Bulldogs, with Brian Harris (Lake) proving too fast and agile on the rebound for Anthony Rocca, and Daniel Cross and Scott West having their usual quiet day with 28 disposals apiece. For the vanquished, Harry O'Brien worked hard all day on Brad Johnson, While Lockyer and Burns were busy through the middle.

Form
Western Bulldogs: What was supposed to be a hard-fought and close contest between the 3rd and 7th teams on the ladder, turned into a very easy victory for the Bulldogs, who were too fast, strong and skillful for the hapless Brisbane Lions. This on the back of convincing wins over StKilda and joint ladder leader Hawthorn, the Dogs go into this important match full of momentum.

Collingwood: I don't know how to describe Collingwood's form, other than that to say they are more hot and cold than a microwaved pie. A 100 point thumping against West Coast had many believeing they were on track to push for the top 4, but a less than convincing effort against cellar dwellar Melbourne last round was followed up on Sunday by a capitulation to a Brendan Fevola-led Carlton. They've now lost to the Blues twice this season, a feat not to be bragged about.

Notable absentees

The only major concern from Sunday was Ryan Griffen's corked thigh at the hands (or knees, more accurately) of Tim Notting, however with an 8 day break he looks likely to play. Apparently there's some midfielder out for the Bulldogs, might have won a B & F or seven, not sure... Some kid named Shaun is also sidelined.

The Magpies forward line will have a scheissen-load of work to do this week with the absence of Anthony Rocca through injury and Travis Cloke through stupidity. Brodie Holland is still MIA with an achilles, while several others including Simon Prestigiacomo may face fitness tests.

Up forward

Our forward line promises to be a rather difficult one to match up on for the Pies. You would think that Shane Wakelin would take Will Minson, which would leave Lockyer, O'Brien and Brown to divide Johnson, Welsh and Akermanis between themselves. O'Brien will likely go to Johnson given his efforts last year, which would likely leave Brown on Welsh and Lockyer on Akermanis. Heath Shaw will probably also go back, in which case I'd expect Giansiracusa to make sure he's accountable.

In the Midfield

The ruck duel here will be quite interesting. Where Hudson and Minson will have the edge at stoppages, Fraser and Bryan are more than capable of sneaking up forward and snagging a goal or two. Can't wait to see how it pans out. With Cloke out expect Fraser to spend a heck of a lot of time up forward.

On the ground, expect Matthew Boyd to make sure Dane Swan has a hard time of it, and Collingwood would be hard-pressed to stop Adam Cooney, who is having a wow of a season.

Down Back

The now confirmed abscence of Travis Cloke is very very good news for the Dogs. It leaves Collingwood relying more on Nick Maxwell and young Ben Reid as tall targets. I would be ambitious here and give Tom Williams the job on Maxwell, leaving Lake to make Ben Reid's life miserable. As for the smaller men in Didak and Medhurst, this is where the danger may lie. Expect Dale Morris to go to the dangerous Didak, with Lindsay Gilbee to get the Medhurst job.

The X-Factor

Leon Davis. Though he is inconsistent, his best is pretty damn good, and he has a habit of producing it against us. Mick Malthouse has been giving him runs through the midfield during this year, adding another string to his bow.

He'll need to be watched very very carefully and his influence needs to be negated. DFA, your club needs you.

The verdict

When Collingwood get up and running, they're very very hard to beat. Only problem with that is, we've got the weapons to make sure it doesn't happen this week.

Twodogs mentioned to me during the week that he'd never seen us muscle (or was it mongrel?) a team the way we did last week. Add to that the fact that Rocket described it as our best 4 quarter effort of the year. These were the two elements of our game that were AWOL for most of last year. Not only that, but we still play fast, attacking, skillful football, and we are the highest scoring team in the competition. Our backline has firmed up, and is ranked 5th in the league for least points scored by opponents. We're running beautifully at the moment, and I can't see us losing this game.

Collingwood will give us a run, but won't be able to keep up.

Dogs by 28.

westdog54
17-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Apologies to GVGjr and Twodogs for the late posting, have had some technical difficulties at home.

Feel free to pick my hap-hazard analysis to pieces.

Fire away:)

The Coon Dog
17-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Much is made of Collingwood's smalls up forward in Didak, Medhurst, Davis & Thomas.

Who matches up on who?

Didak, most dangerous - Morris
Medhurst, clever, good overhead - Hargrave
Davis, fast, crumbs well - Addison
Thomas, good overhead - Gilbee

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Fantastic effort Westdog. Thanks for sticking it out with the technical difficulties.

Much is made of Collingwood's smalls up forward in Didak, Medhurst, Davis & Thomas.

Who matches up on who?

It's whom Baz.

Much as I love DFA's pinball attack on the footy, Davis would cut him up. He's just to smart for Dylan. Maybe Farren Ray?

Mofra
17-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Top effort westdog54

I'm very much intrigued by the Pie's backline. We just seem to have 1 star too many for them.

Between Johnson, Aker, Welsh & Murphy we have plenty of firepower, however they will have to put big, strong players on Minson & Hahn as if they don't we'll cut them to pieces, which means 1 of our star-4 quartet will be playing on perhaps their 5th or 6th best defender.
With Gia, Ward, Cooney & Griff rotating through and hopefully snagging 1 goal each, Collingwood will have a helluva time containing us if we so much as break even in the inside 50s.

In the other direction, they have 4 dangerous smalls in Didak, Thomas, Medhurst & Davis.
I'm pretty happy to have Morris, Gilbee, Hargrave, & DFA in the team as initial match-ups, noting Everitt can play small & Ray has done some good defnsive work for us in the past as well.

Mantis
17-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Much as I love DFA's pinball attack on the footy, Davis would cut him up. He's just to smart for Dylan.

I would back Dylan in this duel. At every opportunity Dylan will rub his face into the dirt.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 09:10 PM
I would back Dylan in this duel. At every opportunity Dylan will rub his face into the dirt.

Davis is one of those players that the opposition underates at it's peril. He's smart, tough and never gives up. Yeah he gives the impression of being none of those things, but that's all it is-an impression. The truth is he's capable of 3 or 4 goals in no time if we take our eye of the ball.

Mofra
17-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Who matches up on who?

That's how I read it. Was close to putting DFA on Medhurst and we have that option if he starts playing up the ground. Thomas plays as loose as Didak so I'd prefer Gilbee on either of them so we generate some decent rebound.

Mantis
17-06-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm very much intrigued by the Pie's backline. We just seem to have 1 star too many for them.

Between Johnson, Aker, Welsh & Murphy we have plenty of firepower, however they will have to put big, strong players on Minson & Hahn as if they don't we'll cut them to pieces, which means 1 of our star-4 quartet will be playing on perhaps their 5th or 6th best defender.
With Gia, Ward, Cooney & Griff rotating through and hopefully snagging 1 goal each, Collingwood will have a helluva time containing us if we so much as break even in the inside 50s.

Some very good points here Mofra.

One valid point that Voss made in the telecast on Saturday, and yes there weren't many, was that at no stage did we allow the Brisbane defence to settle. We just kept rotating player's through this region, which changed the match-ups and the dynamics of the forwardline.

I can see us doing the same this week to try and create mis-matches on Wakelin and Brown especially.

Mantis
17-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Davis is one of those players that the opposition underates at it's peril. He's smart, tough and never gives up. Yeah he gives the impression of being none of those things, but that's all it is-an impression. The truth is he's capable of 3 or 4 goals in no time if we take our eye of the ball.

Yeah he is a good small forward, but I do not expect our players, especially Dylan to take his eye off the ball. Dylan plays every game like it's his last and I believe he would be up to this type of challenge.

Mofra
17-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I can see us doing the same this week to try and create mis-matches on Wakelin and Brown especially.
Welsh often goes to the square when Minson rucks, and I assume that's when Wakelin goes to him (assuming Hahn stays at half foward and Wakelin stays on the backline).
Welsh will be too quick for Wakelin who doesn't look comfortable in congested situations (Welsh roved 2 goals last week beautifully).

Murphy may attract someone good, then he'll dummy for 10 minutes & we can have Gia play his role as he did vs St Kilda; 4 goals would be more than handy.

Johnno is getting back into form (read: workrate skyrocketing) yet Aker will probably get the no 1 opposition small forward. Ouch :cool:

The Coon Dog
17-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I've often been amazed how Davis runs towards goal, following the ball in & he hits it at pace, runs out to his right everytime & screws it back over his left shoulder, not the other way round.

Twodogs
17-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I've often been amazed how Davis runs towards goal, following the ball in & he hits it at pace, runs out to his right everytime & screws it back over his left shoulder, not the other way round.

He is an amazing player.

hujsh
17-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Only one of Collingwoods victories has been vs a top 8 team.

They've played each of the bottom 4.

So they've beaten no one.

The Coon Dog
17-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Only one of Collingwoods victories has been vs a top 8 team.

They've played each of the bottom 4.

So they've beaten no one.
They did beat Geelong, & handsomely too.

Mantis
17-06-2008, 10:10 PM

But the rest look's pretty bad.

Stole this off BF ( I'm not wasting my time researching Collingwood)

Wins over:
Fremantle (14th currently) - M.C.G - in Rd1
Richmond (11th) - M.C.G - in Rd 3
Essendon (13th) -M.C.G - in Rd 6
St. Kilda (10th) - T.D - in Rd 8
Geelong (1st) - M.C.G - Rd 9
West. Coast (15th) - M.C.G - Rd 10
Melbourne (16th) - M.C.G - Rd 11

Loses to:
Brisbane - (7th) - Gabba - in Rd 2
Carlton - (8th) - M.C.G - in Rd 4
North Melbourne - (9th) - M.C.G - in Rd 5
Hawthorn - (2nd) - M.C.G - in Rd 7
Carlton - (8th) - M.C.G - in Rd 12

Raw Toast
17-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the preview wd54.

Clearly another should win game, but I think the people who see this as a gimme underestimate the pies at their peril. If they bring the tackling and pressure to this game which they brought to Geelong then it will be an excellent test for us.

That said Eade seems to love coaching against Malthouse, who tends (like Clarkson, Worsfold and sometimes Craig) to get a bit inflexible on match-day at times.

One valid point that Voss made in the telecast on Saturday, and yes there weren't many, was that at no stage did we allow the Brisbane defence to settle. We just kept rotating player's through this region, which changed the match-ups and the dynamics of the forwardline.

Great point Mantis. I reckon Malthouse's understanding of the game, and the nature of the backline in particular, has changed a fair bit over the last three years due to Eade making Mick's stable back six into a weakness rather than a strength. Malthouse has gone for flexibility in his backline the last few years, and they are much more adaptable than they were and can now change match-ups among themselves. Brown might match up quite well on Hahn, and I think Malthouse also might send him forward in the absence of Cloke and probably Rocca.

I think they might really miss (a fit and firing) Clement this game, as he might have matched up pretty well on Murphy. I can't believe they'd bring in Presti, but they might. If they do I'd expect Minson to go move up the ground a fair bit, with smaller faster types in the goal-square.

I agree with TwoDogs re Davis - he's been in career best form and him and Didak in the middle are going to need a lot of respect. A pies fan friend (I know, disown me) of mine reckons Davis is carrying something, so that's good news if true. Medhurst is another who needs close attention.

Pendlebury's also clearly a key - when the Pies are playing someone else I love watching him play. He's been laboring a bit of late though. And both Heath Shaw and Malthouse will have something to prove which is a dangerous combination. The Pies are at their best when under-rated and able to generate a heap of intensity. They'll jump us early if we're not on the ball, but will drop their heads I reckon, if we can meet their intensity and start drawing away with our better ball-movement and dangerous forward-line.

westdog54
17-06-2008, 10:47 PM

DFA is not one I can see losing sight of an opponent for any considerable stretch.

He's one of those players who lives for the contest and thrives on a challenge. If Davis sneaks one, maybe two on him, so be it. But I can see him making Neon Leon's life very very difficult if he goes to him.

hujsh
17-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Means nothing if they don't beat other top sides. The way they're going they'll be knocked out before playing Geelong

Go_Dogs
18-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Great preview wd54. Going to be a cracker of a game.

For mine, Ray goes with Davis. Has been playing the run with role well the last few weeks and I think his motor and overhead skills could be useful should Davis rotate through either the forward line or midfield.

lion in the midst
18-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Well done Westy, nice read and writeup.

Agree Griffen going to be a cracker. My 2 cents...

While I certainly don't think it'll be an easy game. Points initially raised by WD54 ceratinly may give the dogs significant advantage. That is, while Fraser is handy up forward, the dogs have an edge in the ruck at stoppages. The doggies already have an advantage in their midfield IMO and to be given first opportunity by Hudson/Minson gives them a chance to dominate in the middle.

Not to mention the fact that the pies forward line is in tatters minus Rocca and Cloke.

Go doggies!!!! Dogs by greater than 4 goals.

JimmySewell
18-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Gday, in all seriousness, i honestly dont see how they are going to contain our talented forwward line - i think the pies backline is their weakness. and god knows how they will contain our midfield - their midfield is slow !

and their strength is normally thier forwardline, which is now in tatters:confused::confused:

1eyedog
18-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Well done Westy, nice read and writeup.

Agree Griffen going to be a cracker. My 2 cents...

While I certainly don't think it'll be an easy game. Points initially raised by WD54 ceratinly may give the dogs significant advantage. That is, while Fraser is handy up forward, the dogs have an edge in the ruck at stoppages. The doggies already have an advantage in their midfield IMO and to be given first opportunity by Hudson/Minson gives them a chance to dominate in the middle.

Not to mention the fact that the pies forward line is in tatters minus Rocca and Cloke.

Go doggies!!!! Dogs by greater than 4 goals.

Hey lion in the midst are you thinking of coming over yet? We've given you so many great players in the past it's time for a few old Fitzroy die hards to jump on board:D

Mantis
18-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I think it's good that we are all pretty confident about this one, but Collingwood have shown in the past there ability to surprise. Yeah at present it doesn't look likely, but when they are on they play a very committed style of play which can match almost anyone.

But any saying that they just don't match up too well against us. The keys for us is to win the contested ball (which should be a fierce battle) and to then spread the ball using our pace and foot skills.

Collingwood like to play an in close game, a predictable game and play well against teams who kick the ball to the same spot and play a similiar style. In general Sydney, Geelong and Adelaide all tend to struggle against Collingwood because they are a bit easier to shut down ie. they contest strongly, but they don't really take risks.

We don't play this way, we have an unpredictable style which changes depending on the state of the game and also the make-up of our forwardline. Our players as a group are risk takers and this is one reason why we are able to 'break' games open.

Scraggers
18-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Where have you been all my life ... I LOVE THIS WEBSITE ... being over in West Australia i hear very little of our beloved Dogs ... this site rocks !!!

Thanks guys ... love the analysis

lion in the midst
18-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Hey lion in the midst are you thinking of coming over yet? We've given you so many great players in the past it's time for a few old Fitzroy die hards to jump on board:D

1eye, I'll always be a lion but have always liked the doggies and am rapt they are finally nearing the final hurdle. A lot of people (non dogs supporters) want to see the doggies win another flag.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 12:55 PM
"A lot of people (non dogs supporters) want to see the doggies win another flag."

True, i even heard that from Collingwood & Kangaroos supporters yesturday, i was shocked!

Mofra
18-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Collingwood like to play an in close game, a predictable game and play well against teams who kick the ball to the same spot and play a similiar style. In general Sydney, Geelong and Adelaide all tend to struggle against Collingwood because they are a bit easier to shut down ie. they contest strongly, but they don't really take risks.
Mick does tend to favour the corridor style, kicking long to big forwards. Hawks have a similar style of play, and when we rebounded via the flanks we cut them to pieces. Knowing how & where the ball will come into our backline helps us enormously.

We don't play this way, we have an unpredictable style which changes depending on the state of the game and also the make-up of our forwardline. Our players as a group are risk takers and this is one reason why we are able to 'break' games open.
I think this will be very much evident on the rebound, although we have been fairly predictable in the past 3 games as well to an extent - switch the ball until the fat sde is fat enough to run the space all the way to the HF line. Often that means 2-3 switches in the opposition backline, however for some reason the opposition tend not to go man on man when we are that far back. If they did, we'd be forced to use the corridor which may or may not work in our favour.

We really seem to have created a primary gameplan designed almost solely to beat Adelaide, Geelong & Hawthorn and then adapt it to whatever other opponent we have. That's why North & Freo who tend not to play a midfield zone can trouble us IMO (North having a single midfield-positioned stopper/rebounder cut us to pieces).
WCE probably woudl have too if they weren't so outclassed for sheer talent at the moment.

The Pie Man
18-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I think after the week they're currently no doubt having, their pressure will be high on Sunday night, we could be in for a pretty hot opening. I haven't been more confident in our ability to win it out of the centre than I am now, so as long as we match their intensity we should be ok.

Winning the St Kilda game so convincingly helped me to believe we're genuine - I was nervous about that game, but we just killed them. While Collingwood's pressure will be up no doubt, I'm not worried about the end result.

craigsahibee
18-06-2008, 02:54 PM
29 posts into this thread and yet still no mention of The Paddle Pop Lion. Is he one player that we do not need to consder a match up for?

If he starts to turn it on in front of the pro Collingwood crowd his impact on the game may be bigger than his actual output. If he goes forward it has to be either Shaggy or Morris.

Sorry TCD, you have mentioned him in post #3. My mistake

Sedat
18-06-2008, 03:00 PM
29 posts into this thread and yet still no mention of The Paddle Pop Lion. Is he one player that we do not need to consder a match up for?

What does Nickelback have to do with this thread? :D

You raise a good point about the pro-Collingwood crowd. There will be lucky to be 8-10k Dogs fans at the Dome this week being a Collingwood home game. Cloke missing will actually make them more unpredictable going into attack. We are one of the few teams in the competition that are ably equipped to handle Collingwood's excellent small forward depth.

Wakelin is usually dropped against the Dogs because he has no suitable match-up. He might play this week only as insurance for Minson going forward but I get the feeling he will make way for another midfield runner - Nathan Brown is no shrinking violet and has proven adept at successfully matching up on some of the best gorilla forwards in the competition.

gs17
18-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Just on Fraser, he has looked a bit ordinary the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know if he is injured? Just think if Hudson plays like last week, and with Big Will excelling with his tap rucking we may have the ability to dominate the stoppages which will go a long way to beating a side like Collingwood.

lion in the midst
18-06-2008, 03:05 PM

You raise a good point about the pro-Collingwood crowd. There will be lucky to be 8-10k Dogs fans at the Dome this week being a Collingwood home game. Cloke missing will actually make them more unpredictable going into attack. We are one of the few teams in the competition that are ably equipped to handle Collingwood's excellent small forward depth.

Wakelin is usually dropped against the Dogs because he has no suitable match-up. He might play this week only as insurance for Minson going forward but I get the feeling he will make way for another midfield runner - Nathan Brown is no shrinking violet and has proven adept at successfully matching up on some of the best gorilla forwards in the competition.

Dogs to exploit missing Magpie talls
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=61699

Mantis
18-06-2008, 03:15 PM

I think if we can get away to a good start we might be able to take the crowd out of it, almost similiar to an interstate game.

But if Collingwood get away to a fast start the ferals will get noisy and all hell could break loose.

One thing for sure is that Collingwood will come at us hard, especially after there poor performance last week so we need to be switched on from the start

aker39
18-06-2008, 03:19 PM
One thing for sure is that Collingwood will come at us hard, especially after there poor performance last week so we need to be switched on from the start

Which hasn't necessarily been the case the last few weeks.

aker39
18-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Just on Fraser, he has looked a bit ordinary the past couple of weeks. Does anyone know if he is injured?

He's been struggling since getting the injury in the Dreamteam game.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I also don't like the idea of DFA going against Davis. Not clever enough, not poised enough under pressure. Davis can milk a forward line free kick with the best of them (that's not a criticism) and DFA is a scragger. Agree that Ray would be a better fit, or Morris, but Morris might be needed elsewhere - probably Didak. I think Hargrave can contain Medhurst.

No Cloke and no Rocca. It is a dream come true. This is one game I expect to win very comfortably.

hujsh
18-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Since Didak has been pushing up the ground getting kicks then maybe Addison should go with him

Topdog
18-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Put simply if we turn up and play as well as we did last week we will smash the Pies.

I can see them trying to slow this game up a lot though, which surprisingly not many teams have really tried to do this year. Our rotations through the middle and up forward will be crucial this week and I can see Aker spending a fair bit of time in the middle.

We really should have too much class and toughness around the ground for the Pies though and I think we will win quite easily.

Topdog
18-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Where have you been all my life ... I LOVE THIS WEBSITE ... being over in West Australia i hear very little of our beloved Dogs ... this site rocks !!!

Thanks guys ... love the analysis

Glad to hear you like it Scraggers. Our love of the Bulldogs brings us together. Did you get out to the Fremantle game earlier this year?

dog town
18-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Even though we have had the wood on them they actually match up quite well against us in a like for like sense. We could even be a bit big down back by the looks of it. They are more than capable of upsetting us if we are not on our game.

I think the small forwards of the pies will definetly worry us if they get enough supply. It will be interesting to see who Hargrave gets. Morris is usually our go to guy but Hargrave has been doing such a good job on the smalls that you could put him on most of those guys with a fair bit of confidence. Davis is my biggest worry because we have struggled with him before. Everitt may have to stand up and play on a quality player like Medhurst at stages. It will certainly test our flexibility. Might also give us a chance to stretch the pies at the other end by throwing guys like Lake and William forward at stages. Alternatively it really free's up a guy like Lake enough that it could make it almost unthinkable for the pies to bomb the ball inside 50. If Rocca doesn't get up then Lake could well have a blinder in terms of contested marks inside our defensive 50.

The midfield is going to be the game breaker. The pies have alot of similar types in the engine room and a bit like North they just rely on an even output from 8-10 guys who rotate through. If Hudson and our onballers can really get on top through the midfield and get the game on our terms then its all over. If we get first use of the footy we will run them ragged IMO.

Dane Swan is a guy to watch out for. Not flashy but runs all day and gets to the right spots to recieve the footy. Will silently cut us up if he is allowed to. Crossy would be a good match up for him and Boyd will probably try and nullify Pendlebury a little bit although its pretty rare to see two opponenst at it all day these days. Would not be shocked if Dale Thomas goes to Cooney. Malthouse doesn't mind doing that with Thomas. The pies are generally a workmanlike side with very little flair. The creativeness and flair they do have comes from the kids Mick throws in all the time. He likes to give them little jobs like that to ignite them. He did it against Geelong so keep an eye out for that. Rhys Shaw is another one who could well go to Cooney.

Guido will probably get the job on Heath Shaw.

Mantis
19-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Heard on SEN that Fraser and Davis are out for C'wood.

lion in the midst
19-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Woo hoo!!!
Guy McKenna on Pies' injury woes
http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio/AFL/guy-mckenna-on-pies-injury-woes-2897

craigsahibee
19-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Damn. Now that Leon is out who am I going to get stuck in to on Sunday.

It only leaves

Shaw H
Shaw R
Thomas D
Burns S
Didak A
Medhurst P
O'Brien H
O'Bree S
Lockyer T
Wakelin S - Providing the trains are running on time
Wellingham S
Swan D
Clarke M
Bryan C

Hopefully Malthouse M will have a sense of humour and rush Prestigiacomo S back in the side.

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 04:59 PM
COLLINGWOOD has been dealt a pair of blows in the lead-up to Sunday's clash with the Western Bulldogs, with ruckman Josh Fraser and forward Leon Davis expected to miss.

Fraser is still suffering the effects of a strained posterior cruciate ligament, sustained in the Hall of Fame Tribute Match, while Davis is carrying an ankle injury.

Mofra
19-06-2008, 05:40 PM
COLLINGWOOD has been dealt a pair of blows in the lead-up to Sunday's clash with the Western Bulldogs, with ruckman Josh Fraser and forward Leon Davis expected to miss.

Fraser is still suffering the effects of a strained posterior cruciate ligament, sustained in the Hall of Fame Tribute Match, while Davis is carrying an ankle injury.
At this rate John Anthony will play

Topdog
20-06-2008, 09:36 AM
At this rate it should be a hammering.

Go_Dogs
20-06-2008, 10:10 AM

Yes, just saw this mornings paper, very pleased about this. If we're switched on, it should be a solid win.

Rocket Science
20-06-2008, 01:03 PM
At this rate it should be a hammering.

You'd think so given the nick we're in, but I dunno if I necessarily want the players feeling the same way going into this tilt, lest we lose focus and drop our guard.

We've been a much more professional unit this season and we should knock them over pretty comprehensively, but I'm somewhat nervy going into this one.

firstdogonthemoon
20-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Leon Davis is a big out, he usually hurts us.

The trouble is - unless we absolutely flog them, we will have to listen to all the ...we had all these injuries hoo haa.

Admittedly beating Geelong was impressive (although due) but they havent done anything else.

I didnt hate the pies when I moved to Melbourne all those years ago. I thought it was a bit harsh the way people despised them.

But I understand now.

The Underdog
20-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm actually more concerned now that they are understrength than I was before. Certainly I think this team seems to be one of the most mentally strong teams we've had for a long while, but Collingwood are a dangerous unit when they are on and watching the Geelong game you know what they are capable of. They'll also be fired up after losing to Carlton.
I'd hate to see us switch off a bit because they are missing a few players. Certainly we should be able to beat them easily but I've got a bad feeling.
One thing that's probably been overlooked is that even with Rocca injured and Cloke not in great form, they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and 6th best in points against despite having a fairly nondescript backline. So we still need to be wary of their small forwards. I'm kind of wondering whether Williams might be a reasonable matchup for Medhurst. Medhurst is pretty strong in the air for a guy his size and I think Williams could go with him on the lead. I'd also like to see Morris pick up Didak when he's forward. Everitt can easily go with a Reid or Maxwell so I don't think we'll need to worry about any of their talls particularly if we do match up this way.

1eyedog
20-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm actually more concerned now that they are understrength than I was before. Certainly I think this team seems to be one of the most mentally strong teams we've had for a long while, but Collingwood are a dangerous unit when they are on and watching the Geelong game you know what they are capable of. They'll also be fired up after losing to Carlton.
I'd hate to see us switch off a bit because they are missing a few players. Certainly we should be able to beat them easily but I've got a bad feeling.
One thing that's probably been overlooked is that even with Rocca injured and Cloke not in great form, they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league and 6th best in points against despite having a fairly nondescript backline. So we still need to be wary of their small forwards. I'm kind of wondering whether Williams might be a reasonable matchup for Medhurst. Medhurst is pretty strong in the air for a guy his size and I think Williams could go with him on the lead. I'd also like to see Morris pick up Didak when he's forward. Everitt can easily go with a Reid or Maxwell so I don't think we'll need to worry about any of their talls particularly if we do match up this way.

Collingwood are a rabble at the Dome this year, they beat Geelong at the G, they seem to like it there.

I don't like this match up, Medhurst is too smart for Williams, I'd start Shaggy on him. Like Morris on Didak.

LostDoggy
20-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Massive danger game!

The Coon Dog
20-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Massive danger game!

Why?

LostDoggy
20-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Collingwood are a very proud club. After last weeks loss and all their injuries i can see them playing well. The unpredictable forward line is a worry, Medhurst and Didak need close attention. Malthouse is a very good coach in these circumstances. Plus the dogs might be due for a flat performance.

Desipura
21-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Massive danger game!

No more dangerous than the rest of them. Who do you follow?

bornadog
21-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Collingwood are a very proud club. After last weeks loss and all their injuries i can see them playing well. The unpredictable forward line is a worry, Medhurst and Didak need close attention. Malthouse is a very good coach in these circumstances. Plus the dogs might be due for a flat performance.

We must stick to our game plan as well as ensure the dogs aren't getting ahead of themselves. Yes this is a danger game especially, if the boys become complacent and think with all the Collingwood outs its going to be a walk in the park.

Lets hope we have the mental tougness to see a win as its a big game and Collingwood will lift and hit us hard.

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Massive danger game!

No Collingwood are without it's big guns and I cannot see us losing this whatever way I look at it. Every week someone says it's a danger game or I'm nervous about this one. We will smash Collingwood tomorrow. When are people going to wake up that we are not the side we used to be, we are more switched on and we don't let opportunities like these slip?

hujsh
21-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Massive danger game!

I agree.

But there are few games without danger nowdays

Topdog
21-06-2008, 01:34 PM
No Collingwood are without it's big guns and I cannot see us losing this whatever way I look at it. Every week someone says it's a danger game or I'm nervous about this one. We will smash Collingwood tomorrow. When are people going to wake up that we are not the side we used to be, we are more switched on and we don't let opportunities like these slip?

Agreed. For the past 7 weeks people in the media and even Dogs fans have been saying

"Their next 4-5 weeks is going to really see where they are at"

7 ****ing weeks people and we have won 6 of those 7.

This is not a danger game. We may play crap, we may have an off day that every team is bound to have but there is no way that this is a danger game. Even if we lose it still won't have been a danger game. It would just have been us having an off day.

bornadog
21-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Dogs to exploit missing Magpie talls
By Jennifer Witham
7:06 PM Thu 19 June, 2008

Brian Lake could find himself taking more grabs like this one over Jonathan Brown last Saturday

THE WESTERN Bulldogs could try to capitalise on Collingwood's small forward line at Telstra Dome on Sunday, with defenders Brian Lake and Tom Williams a chance to play in attack.

Eade said the absence of big Magpie forwards Anthony Rocca and Travis Cloke gave his side a chance to experiment with an unconventional set-up.

"We'll have to weigh that up at this stage," Eade said at Whitten Oval on Wednesday.

"Both Tom and Brian can play forward, and Tom can play on a small as well, so I think we've just got to wait and see who lines up."

But Eade isn't expecting the Pies to be any less potent without their two tall targets.

"Obviously Cloke and Rocca are quality players, but I think a lot of their goals have come from their small forwards," he said.

"[Paul] Medhurst, [Dale] Thomas, [Alan] Didak, [Leon] Davis and [Scott] Pendlebury are all good quality players.

rest of article here: http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=61699

Personally I wouldn't be experimenting too much, lets keep the winning formula going.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Ive always wanted to see Harris/Lake play a game up forward...

But i dont think this is the game to be doing it in...lets leave it for when we play Melbourne or something.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Brian Lake could find himself taking more grabs like this one over Jonathan Brown last Saturday

If it's the same one from the Herald sun it was a free against not a mark

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 02:47 PM

The above include a set of contingencies that we are faced with every week. All clubs are proud and while Medhurst and Didak have been in good form every team has players in form one way or another, look at Freo with Pav. You could say we are due for a flat performance every week, is every week a danger game? We'll kill the Pies tomorrow because we are a much harder and skillful side than they are. The lose of Davis, Cloke, Fraser and Rocca will simply be rubbing salt into their wounds. I hope we win by 10 goals.