PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast in bid for 20 of top 24

The Coon Dog
18-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Gold Coast in bid for 20 of top 24 (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/coast-in-bid-for-20-of-top-24/2008/06/17/1213468424244.html)

THE Gold Coast consortium has requested that it be given 20 of the first 24 picks in the draft the year before it enters the competition.

At a meeting with AFL and club officials last Friday, leading members of the consortium proposed that the new club be given picks 1-5 and 10-24 in the 2010 national draft, with the bottom four teams receiving picks 6,7, 8 and 9 in the normal reverse order.

If the AFL adopted the consortium's proposal, the bottom team would have pick 6, the 15th team pick 7, the 14th team pick 8 and the 13th team pick 9.

The team that finished 12th on the ladder would fare terribly — losing 20 places in draft order, given that it would not have a draft choice until pick 25, unless it managed to trade for an earlier pick.

The proposed concessions, which were viewed as an ambit claim, were more favourable to the Gold Coast than those proposed in a recent AFL discussion paper of picks 1-5, 14, 15, 24 and 41, plus access to the best 17-year-olds in 2009, and exclusive rights to the cream of the Northern Territory and Queensland.

But the Gold Coast consortium also suggested that it should be compulsory to trade 10 of those 20 early draft picks for players from other clubs — and it argues that this is a better system that forcing clubs to give up a player each.

In effect, the Gold Coast would end up with half of the top 20 picks, but with some strong mature players obtained in return for the other 10 picks.

The consortium's bid is expected to meet strong opposition from existing clubs, some of which have expressed concern about the impact of the concessions on the teams that finish low on the ladder in the relevant years.

Former Brisbane Lions chairman Graeme Downie, Southport Sharks chairman Alan McKenzie and AFL Queensland chief executive Richard Griffiths represented the consortium at the meeting with the AFL's subcommittee of club and league officials.

Downie last night said the Gold Coast consortium wanted an "extension" of the draft picks that the AFL had proposed (picks 1-5, 14, 15, 24 and 41), but with a compulsory obligation to trade many of them (at least 10 in this instance) back to clubs that lost players.

"We thought it was a far better proposal than forcing clubs to give up players.

"This way it's done on a voluntary basis, the market determines what … trade choice we give up for a player etcetera."

Downie said the GC17 consortium — headed by himself, McKenzie and leading local lawyer John Witheriff, who is slated to be chairman of the new club — had originally considered requesting something along the the lines of the top eight teams being compelled to give up a player.

"The discussion was very positive, trying to find a way to see whether the proposal had merits, see how it could be worked. So that the bottom clubs, for instance, that have struggled for a year or two before could be, you know, looked after to ensure that it's a fair system of trading."

Downie said it was ultimately for the AFL to decide what was appropriate.

Bulldog Revolution
18-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Surely they are just trying it on to put them in the best spot possible. The previous offer by the AFL was more than generous IMO.

I want to see these interstate teams do the hard yards and not just be handed premiership opportunities

Go_Dogs
18-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Agreed BR. This seems a bit over the top. I guess a big part of it would be though, that the GC will look to trade quite a few of the picks for quality established players at the other clubs, with perhaps as many as 10 of the picks traded on.

I guess it's all speculation at this point, but I don't really think it's such a great idea to take 25 kids from one draft.

Will they have list concessions too, as in, an extra amount of players on the list and especial subsidiary lists?

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 11:23 AM
The top 8 teams be compelled to give up a player? I'll bet there'll be a bit of tanking around 9th spot that year if this happened.

But I guess it depends whether you get to choose who you give up.

Boy, this is a hairy one. If the GC17 team have to trade on their first round picks you'd imagine that they would want pretty good mature players. This has an impact on the rest of the trade market as all of a sudden, 10 good, tradeable, mature age players just become off-limits to every other club, which may suck for clubs like the Dogs who may be wanting to top up to continue to be a contender, which means if we want good mature-age players this is the time to trade.

I personally feel that this is the time to just pillage top-line out of contract players from other clubs.. We have a good quality, young list, with a few more quality kids -- looking at you, Cordy -- coming in next year and four-five veterans bowing out over the next 3-5 years. One or two top line mature age players would complement the younger players nicely for the next 5-7 years, as we won't have much quality access to the draft anyway with the two new teams coming in. Make the most of our time at the top I say. It looks like the bottom clubs will be staying there for a while.

Sockeye Salmon
18-06-2008, 11:33 AM
If they got picks 1-5

Lets say they convince Nick Riewoldt to go north and they have picks 1-5. They could offer St Kilda pick 5 and say take it or leave it. If St Kilda don't like it they use pick 5 to draft him anyway.

Give them every second pick so they have to offer realistic picks up for trade.

westdog54
18-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Your proposal, which you made some time ago, still seems considerably fairer than what the GC Consortium is proposing.

Having said that, one of the primary rules of negotiation is that your first offer be considerably better than where you realistically expect the end result to be.

There will be a middle ground met somewhere. Hopefully...:(

westdog54
18-06-2008, 05:06 PM
A Hypothetical here regarding ourselves:

I can see the Gold Coast having red hot goes at recruiting Tom Williams and Mitch Hahn.

What would we reasonably expect in return should this eventuate?

hujsh
18-06-2008, 05:13 PM
A Hypothetical here regarding ourselves:

I can see the Gold Coast having red hot goes at recruiting Tom Williams and Mitch Hahn.

What would we reasonably expect in return should this eventuate?

Top ten picks for both, maybe 2 top 10 picks for Williams.

But remember we don't have to trade, if it's they want to go.

westdog54
18-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Top ten picks for both, maybe 2 top 10 picks for Williams.

But remember we don't have to trade, if it's they want to go.

I'm more worried that Tom might look to head home, Mitch would be a little more settled in Melbourne by now.

The way he's playing I can see the Gold Coast throwing plenty at him to get him to make the trip.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm more worried that Tom might look to head home, Mitch would be a little more settled in Melbourne by now.

The way he's playing I can see the Gold Coast throwing plenty at him to get him to make the trip.

After we've been so patient and nurtured Tom through all his injuries? I doubt it, unless he's like Brown, which I would think is very doubtful. Plus, Williams is good friends with Griffen and Ray. The club looks set for success - why leave now?

I can't see any of our players leaving.

LostDoggy
18-06-2008, 09:45 PM
After we've been so patient and nurtured Tom through all his injuries? I doubt it, unless he's like Brown, which I would think is very doubtful. Plus, Williams is good friends with Griffen and Ray. The club looks set for success - why leave now?

You are right anybody who would want to leave right now is a total idiot, but with the way we are plaing and the atitude of our current players I would be suprised to see us lose more than 1 player too the old Coast team.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Tom, we can offer you double what you're getting now and you'll be close to your family, whaddaya say?

Topdog
19-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Tom, we can offer you double what you're getting now and you'll be close to your family, whaddaya say?

Esp. with a kid who knows how short a career can be. I wouldn't call Tom an idiot if he decided to take the money whilst it is on offer.

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 02:57 PM
The top 8 teams be compelled to give up a player? I'll bet there'll be a bit of tanking around 9th spot that year if this happened.

But I guess it depends whether you get to choose who you give up.

Boy, this is a hairy one. If the GC17 team have to trade on their first round picks you'd imagine that they would want pretty good mature players. This has an impact on the rest of the trade market as all of a sudden, 10 good, tradeable, mature age players just become off-limits to every other club, which may suck for clubs like the Dogs who may be wanting to top up to continue to be a contender, which means if we want good mature-age players this is the time to trade.

I personally feel that this is the time to just pillage top-line out of contract players from other clubs.. We have a good quality, young list, with a few more quality kids -- looking at you, Cordy -- coming in next year and four-five veterans bowing out over the next 3-5 years. One or two top line mature age players would complement the younger players nicely for the next 5-7 years, as we won't have much quality access to the draft anyway with the two new teams coming in. Make the most of our time at the top I say. It looks like the bottom clubs will be staying there for a while.

Strongly disagree. Granted it might make it harder to find quality players in the draft, but this just means we have to use every available pick and choose carefully. Pillaging 'top-line' players will just waste our salary cap and leave us vunerable to the GC/West Syd raids.

Desipura
19-06-2008, 03:06 PM

We cannot guarantee you will play finals for a few yrs as we need to first establish ourselves.

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Might be a good opportunity to trade someone like Mitch Hahn. IT will be in 18months time, he will be 28/29yrs old. They will be after instant sucCess, we might be able to get a good draft pick for him.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2008, 03:47 PM
We cannot guarantee you will play finals for a few yrs as we need to first establish ourselves.

As Williams is not from a "football" background like the rest of us, I wonder how important a premiership is to him?

For those of us who have grown up watching Wayne Harmes belt the ball back into play from the sixth row or Dermie spew up before taking a mark or Snake Baker jumping on Kelvin Moore's head, the premiership is everything. What about for someone who has never heard of Harmes, Brereton or Baker?

I have no interest in Rugby League - Melbourne worn the premiership last year, ho hum (yawn). I wonder if I was involved in the Storm how much I would care?

Desipura
20-06-2008, 01:55 PM
As Williams is not from a "football" background like the rest of us, I wonder how important a premiership is to him?

For those of us who have grown up watching Wayne Harmes belt the ball back into play from the sixth row or Dermie spew up before taking a mark or Snake Baker jumping on Kelvin Moore's head, the premiership is everything. What about for someone who has never heard of Harmes, Brereton or Baker?

I have no interest in Rugby League - Melbourne worn the premiership last year, ho hum (yawn). I wonder if I was involved in the Storm how much I would care?

Surely that is what every player plays footy for. There would be no better feeling than being on the biggest stage in front of a packed house on the 'G'. Not knowing anything about the history of the game is a seperate issue to wanting to reach the ultimate in your sport.

The Coon Dog
28-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Gold Coast's numbers come up in 2010 national draft (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24252779-19742,00.html)

Mike Sheahan | August 28

THE new Gold Coast club will have the first three picks in the 2010 national draft among nine first-round selections.

Gold Coast will have picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15, and then take top spot in each subsequent round.

That means the bottom team in 2010 will have pick No. 4, with that year's premier having to wait until selection 25 for its first pick.

While clubs at, or near, the bottom of the ladder will be aghast at the drain on the best young talent in the country, seven of the existing 16 clubs were represented on the sub-committee that produced the formula.

It was adopted by the AFL Commission at its meeting on Monday, and will bring a warm smile to the faces of Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna and recruiting manager Scott Clayton.

Gold Coast also will have access to a maximum of one out-of-contract player from each of the existing clubs after the 2010 season.

That's on top of a selection of up to 20 of the best under-18 prospects in Queensland during the next two years, three of whom have already been claimed.

Clubs that lose out-of-contract players to the Gold Coast will be compensated with a draft choice to be determined, a choice that may be exercised any time during the subsequent five national drafts.

The AFL is likely to announce the draft package to club chief executives at league headquarters today.

The meeting had been called to announce details of the AFL's refined drugs policy, which will retain the three strikes but subject players to hair-testing, as tipped for several months.

While the Gold Coast package will shock supporters of Melbourne and other clubs fearful of being near the bottom in 2010, it is no more generous than the assistance Fremantle, Port Adelaide and West Coast received.

The AFL wisely involved club representatives in the exercise, which means both the interests of the competition and the clubs have been acknowledged.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Gold Coast's numbers come up in 2010 national draft (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24252779-19742,00.html)

Mike Sheahan | August 28

THE new Gold Coast club will have the first three picks in the 2010 national draft among nine first-round selections.

Gold Coast will have picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15, and then take top spot in each subsequent round.

That means the bottom team in 2010 will have pick No. 4, with that year's premier having to wait until selection 25 for its first pick.

While clubs at, or near, the bottom of the ladder will be aghast at the drain on the best young talent in the country, seven of the existing 16 clubs were represented on the sub-committee that produced the formula.

It was adopted by the AFL Commission at its meeting on Monday, and will bring a warm smile to the faces of Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna and recruiting manager Scott Clayton.

Gold Coast also will have access to a maximum of one out-of-contract player from each of the existing clubs after the 2010 season.

That's on top of a selection of up to 20 of the best under-18 prospects in Queensland during the next two years, three of whom have already been claimed.

Clubs that lose out-of-contract players to the Gold Coast will be compensated with a draft choice to be determined, a choice that may be exercised any time during the subsequent five national drafts.

The AFL is likely to announce the draft package to club chief executives at league headquarters today.

The meeting had been called to announce details of the AFL's refined drugs policy, which will retain the three strikes but subject players to hair-testing, as tipped for several months.

While the Gold Coast package will shock supporters of Melbourne and other clubs fearful of being near the bottom in 2010, it is no more generous than the assistance Fremantle, Port Adelaide and West Coast received.

The AFL wisely involved club representatives in the exercise, which means both the interests of the competition and the clubs have been acknowledged.
Any wonder why Clayton left.

God, i hope it's a lean year in 2010.

Mantis
28-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Why would you want that?

You are going to get screwed over by this draft regardless and in reality we should be pushing for a flag in 2010 not struggling down the bottom.

Sockeye Salmon
28-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Let's hope Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis keep improving

bulldogtragic
28-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Why would you want that?

You are going to get screwed over by this draft regardless and in reality we should be pushing for a flag in 2010 not struggling down the bottom.
My apologies, my english is how do say, inelegant.

I was refering to the draft pool being shallow for GC17 not our club.

Sockeye great point, if only Ayce could out to be drafted in 2010 with say pick 25... See how the other boys go.

KT31
28-08-2008, 12:26 PM

Double his salary might enable him to pay the Bulldogs back for his medical bills.

mjp
28-08-2008, 04:29 PM
They will have 15 of the first 20 picks...Mike Sheahan is understating it. Plus, the draft package was announced to the clubs a month or so back...

Or maybe things have changed and he is right?

mjp
28-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Double his salary might enable him to pay the Bulldogs back for his medical bills.

If we could get a top 10 pick for Williams I would take it. If we could get a first round pick for Hahn I would take it...

Topdog
28-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Gold Coast have come out and said they are not happy with that offer! Unbelievably they want more.

Dry Rot
29-08-2008, 12:52 AM
What season do they actually join the comp?

strebla
29-08-2008, 01:20 AM
I doubt Mitch or Williams will leave BUT they may target a young hardnut in Reid