PDA

View Full Version : AFL considers twilight grand final push

The Coon Dog
19-06-2008, 08:40 AM
AFL considers twilight grand final push (http://news.realfooty.com.au/sport/afl-considers-twilight-grand-final-push-20080619-2t0y.html)

The traditional Saturday afternoon AFL grand final could be a thing of the past as soon as next year, with the AFL considering a TV-driven push to start the grand final at 5pm.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has told News Limited he expected the Seven and Ten networks to push for a 5pm "twilight" game before their football broadcasting contract expires in 2011.

"I think they would be looking at a five o'clock start to finish at 7.30," Mr Demetriou said.

"I know that between now and the end of the broadcast agreement, we will be asked about it (a twilight grand final) again.

"If and when that occurs ... we will consider it then.

"I reckon if they are going to trial (a twilight final), they will want to trial it two years out because in the last year of the agreement, the agreement (for 2012 onwards) will be done."

Network Ten's general manager of sport, David White, said he was keen on a twilight match, perhaps starting at 5.40pm.

"I have spoken to Andrew about it in the past and I will be speaking to him about it in the future," he said.

"I've got little doubt at some point in the future there will be a twilight Grand Final. Not sure how far into the future."

The Seven Network did not comment but has previously discussed its desire for a later game.

The grand final started at 2.30pm last year, and has never started after 2.55pm

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I like it the way it is on a Sat arvo.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm all about a day grand final, don't mess with the tradition, please!

The Pie Man
19-06-2008, 10:19 AM

I agree - day grand final is steeped in tradition, for everybody. It's no coincidence that many GF's are played in dry & sunny conditions with a temp around 18-20 to best showcase the two best teams in the comp's skills.

If it had to change, twilight's better than full night, at least you get one half of real spring footy before the ball & ground gets a bit dewy.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2008, 11:07 AM
I wish a Bulldog premiership was this inevitable.

aker39
19-06-2008, 11:32 AM
If the Bulldogs were playing they could play it at midnight and I'd still go.

Wouldn't we all???

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2008, 03:47 PM
It'd be a real shame to see it change.

The whole Saturday morning/afternoon is dedicated to the Grand Final, as a family we watch most of it and have a special lunch - different from what we'd usually have. It wouldn't be the same having a night/twilight grand final.

The MCG never looks better than it does on Grand Final day, 90k strong with a hot sun.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Everyone starting drinking at breakfast ...

There's going to be some very messy sights by the first bounce, let alone after the game.

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I dont want them to scrap this piece of tradition either, but the AFL will do just about anything if they think that they will make a few extra dollars out of it. I dont want th AFL to throw away yet another piece of tradition but they will.

LostDoggy
19-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Here we go, the usual yearly debate about Grand Final Time is on again.

Must be a slow news week or maybe the AFL are in a bit of damage control and need to avert our attention.

Day Time all the Way for Me. Think about the younger and much older generations, there are a lot of people to consider in this move. A Day does not Alienate Anyone.

cheers,

Jaxs :cool:

westdog54
19-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Everyone starting drinking at breakfast ...

There's going to be some very messy sights by the first bounce, let alone after the game.

One of my concerns with a late start also SS.

Leave it as is.

Scorlibo
19-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Not a fan of twilight games let alone twilight grand finals. The game has gone through a lot of change in the past few years, for good or worse, but some things like the saturday afternoon grand final tradition are definitely best left alone.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I would hate this to move from the day, However I would be prepared to start at 3pm if the played the VFA or seconds game before.

if not lose the second rate pre-match stuff and bring on the football.

1eyedog
20-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Next they'll be playing it in Dubai or India (the APL anybody?)