PDA

View Full Version : Dick Pratt stands down at Carlton

The Coon Dog
20-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Dick Pratt stands down at Carlton (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23893784-661,00.html)

Herald Sun - Norrie Ross, Matthew Schulz - June 20, 2008 01:47pm

FOOTY chief Andrew Demetriou has denied that Dick Pratt's dramatic resignation from Carlton has damaged the AFL's reputation.

Mr Demetriou said he supported Mr Pratt's move to stand aside, but denied he had played any part in the decision.

"I've spoken to Greg Swann and he's advised me that Mr Pratt has stood aside pending the investigation of the charges he will face," Mr Demetriou told reporters in Adelaide.

"It is an appropriate course of action, it is a very serious matter, but like any other Australian he is entitled to the presumption of innocence."

Mr Demetriou denied Mr Pratt's actions had brought the AFL into disrepute.

"He loves the Carlton Football Club and doesn't want to do anything that will harm the club," said the AFL CEO.

Mr Pratt stepped aside from the presidency of Carlton earlier today.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann confirmed Mr Pratt's decision and said that Stephen Kernahan would replace him.

Mr Swann described the developments as ''disappointing'' but emphasised that Mr Pratt deserved a presumption of innocence.

He also denied that the develpment were embarrassing for the club which has endured several high-profile scandals in recent times.

When asked if Mr Pratt would return as president if the charges were dropped, he answered, “the answer is yes if it happens quickly.”

He then described Mr Pratt’s mood when he spoke to him this morning.

“He was obviously very disappointed with what had happened.”

Mr Pratt faces up to four years' jail after being charged yesterday with lying about his knowledge of a price-fixing scandal, an exclusive report in today's Herald Sun reveals.
But Mr Elliott, who was made bankrupt and banned for four years from company dealings with $9.2 million in debts while head of a rice-milling company, said Mr Pratt was innocent until proven guilty.

“I’ve already talked to the family this morning. But it’s a very difficult thing, but once you’re charged people think you’re guilty – that’s the problem. I had the same problem. It’s not a very nice thing hanging over your head, but you’ve just got to stand up and fight," Mr Elliott said.

"I think it's very vindicative act myself, it's typical of the tall poppy syndrome in this country. He's a fantastic man and so generous to the community."

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission alleges the chief of cardboard manufacturer Visy gave false and misleading evidence before a commission hearing in 2005.

In a summons lodged in the Federal Court yesterday, the ACCC charges Mr Pratt with breaching the Trade Practices Act by denying knowledge of a plot to fix the price of cardboard boxes with Visy's rival, Amcor.

The ACCC released a statement today saying Mr Pratt's case would be set down for July 7, and said Mr Pratt had not entered a plea.

In evidence before the commission, Mr Pratt was asked by Peter Jopling, QC, if he had a conversation in the All Nations Hotel in Richmond on May 21, 2001, with Amcor's former chief executive officer, Russell Jones.

Mr Jopling said Mr Jones had told the commission they discussed the price-fixing arrangement and how it protected market share.

* Over to you Lantern...

Sockeye Salmon
20-06-2008, 04:02 PM
"I think it's very vindicative act myself, it's typical of the tall poppy syndrome in this country. He's a fantastic man and so generous to the community."

Top bloke.

He's so generous he managed to fleece the Australian public of $700 million pesky dollars!

Thanks, Dick!

bornadog
20-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Dick Pratt stands down at Carlton (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23893784-661,00.html) ["I think it's very vindicative act myself, it's typical of the tall poppy syndrome in this country. He's a fantastic man and so generous to the community."

Generous but rips off the community in other ways

firstdogonthemoon
20-06-2008, 06:20 PM
The bottom line is that he appears to be a dodgy old style capitalist who got caught ripping off mr and mrs australia and so he is the perfect guy to be carlton president.

The Underdog
20-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Careful bornadog. There are some folk in these parts who might wonder what you think is wrong with being generous to the jewish community. Israel is a bit different, but.....

He's also a patron of the arts but then again that doesn't make him less of a criminal.

Sedat
20-06-2008, 06:40 PM
What is the name of Amcor's owner? He/she is just as reprehensible and culpible as Dick Pratt. Not excusing what Pratt did but it was collusion between two parties, and the other party has gotten off scot free purely becaue they blew the whistle first. Both companies make me sick.

bornadog
20-06-2008, 06:53 PM
The bottom line is that he appears to be a dodgy old style capitalist who got caught ripping off mr and mrs australia and so he is the perfect guy to be carlton president.
agree

firstdogonthemoon
20-06-2008, 07:41 PM

LostDoggy
20-06-2008, 09:02 PM
So who is the next crook in line to be Carlton Presdient?
Rich, Vizard or Wheatley

LostDoggy
20-06-2008, 09:09 PM
It is wonderfull to hear that, that crook will no loner be the president of Carlton. Especially now that Carlton will stop benefiting from him.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Nothing to add -- pretty self-explanatory, I would have thought.

Except that the AFL has to look into funding sources -- if dirty money is propping a club up there is a problem. I wonder how Judd feels working for crooked cash. And charging someone for an alleged crime when there is direct proof is not being vindictive, it's called the rule of law and due process. Look it up sometime, John Elliot.

The Underdog
21-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Rich, Vizard or Wheatley

John So should be free soon. He's not very football savvy but he's got loads of dodgy cash

Nothing to add -- pretty self-explanatory, I would have thought.

Except that the AFL has to look into funding sources -- if dirty money is propping a club up there is a problem. I wonder how Judd feels working for crooked cash. And charging someone for an alleged crime when there is direct proof is not being vindictive, it's called the rule of law and due process. Look it up sometime, John Elliot.

I'm sure Judd was smart enough to know the truth and background to Pratt, yet he didn't seem too worried about talking the dirty money before this. Can't see it'd e any different now.

The Coon Dog
21-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Dark stain at Blues disappears as king abdicates (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23896905-5012432,00.html)

Patrick Smith | June 21, 2008

RICHARD PRATT's presidency at Carlton has been a dark stain on football since the moment he admitted last November to his substantial part in the Visy price-fixing scandal. The longer he stayed in charge of the club the more AFL football became increasingly tarnished and dirty.

And this in the 150th-year celebration of the birth of the indigenous game. Dark stain, darker moment. Not even a muted three cheers. The longer Pratt remained the more obvious it became that hardly anybody had the spine to tell the businessman his continued tenure was untenable.

As Pratt flaunted his position, the damage to the AFL name grew. It was apparent that the league would massage its principles according, not to what was appropriate or ethical, but what was convenient.

Standards were flexible, bend this way and that according to the size of the chequebook and bulk of the contact book.

The list of losers is lofty and long. Pratt heads the inventory. He felt the Visy-Amcor swindle had been dealt with last year, that the $36million fine levied by the ACC had bought back his stature and cachet. So he refused to resign.

The more he was lauded by Carlton officials, members and supporters, the more the AFL commission fumbled good governance; the more he swooned at the merest whiff of the liniment in the change-rooms; the more he appeared with his wife Jeanne, famously singing the club song after defeating Port Adelaide this month, then the more you fancy the ACCC felt he was deliberately flaunting the deal he struck back in November.

He was neither humbled nor contrite for his part in a rort that affected every Australian. So on Thursday Pratt was snared by his own hubris. Pratt splat.

If there was no tangible penalty for the biggest price-fixing scandal in Australian history, then the longer it appeared Pratt looked and felt invulnerable to the ACCC's power. And thus, the closer he came to the charges laid this week.

Perhaps it was his embracing the shambolic, failed businessman and disgraced former Carlton president John Elliott last Saturday at the Collingwood match that finally forced the ACCC to activate the charges of lying to a 2005 inquiry.

Worse, he appeared to value the Carlton presidency more than his Order of Australia honours. He returned those in February - possibly to head off the embarrassment of being ordered to give them up - but he would not relinquish the job at Carlton. He was under pressure to hand back his honours, he was never put under pressure to be stripped of his Carlton honours.

So yesterday he did what he should have done in November. He stepped aside. Elliott went to his defence here, there and everywhere. Nobody, as usual, took him seriously.

Another loser is the AFL commission which has acted feebly, seemingly struck both numb and dumb by Pratt's power and influence. The members of the AFL's most important body ought to feel ashamed.

Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, a former Carlton champion who sat in on the club board on behalf of the AFL when the Blues could not make a quid, said it was a matter solely for Carlton. That it reflected so poorly on the acceptable standards of the AFL did not appear to trouble him.

Not for the first time in his short reign as football's most important man, Fitzpatrick showed no leadership. Handpassed the matter to the Carlton board. A stronger leader would have said that the perception alone of Pratt's continued presidency was hurting the image of the sport.

So obvious were Pratt's conflicted interests that the AFL had to, first, put on hold its self-proclaimed code of conduct because it would have instantly wiped out Pratt.

Then, if the code was to work at all, it had to be rewritten. Which it was. Rather than the league have power to discipline club officials, that power was handed over to the club boards.

It was a major victory for Pratt, a shameful backdown by the commission. Pratt even taunted the commission to question his position. Not a peep from it.

The Carlton board members have appeared insipid. Happy to take Pratt's money and advice and not question the appropriateness of his presidency. The majority of Carlton supporters have proved to be nothing but Pratt toadies. So many have never dared to examine maturely the issue of Pratt's reign.

They drowned talkback radio with their drivel all yesterday. They argued Pratt gave much to charity. Thanks to price fixing he had much to give.

Club chief executive Greg Swann told a news conference that Pratt had done much for the club. Not the point and not in question. The issue was clear-cut: was football best served by Pratt's role as president? No, it wasn't. Carlton officials simply turned their backs. The media is a loser, too. It was never rigorous enough in analysing the issue. Set pieces played out in the newspapers, ill-informed commentators pontificated on matters beyond them. Too many got too cosy, some so much so they flew with Pratt in his private jet. Hardly anyone questioned, most found the issue hurt their brains.

He is gone now, jail faces him if he is found guilty. Power, money, ego, victory make a heady, deadly cocktail in sport.

The sycophants have killed off their king.

The Coon Dog
21-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Another well written Patrick piece, methinks he might have been salivating over this one. ;)

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 12:49 PM
I wasn't salivating. It's sad for all concerned. Carlton or the AFL should have done the right thing a long time ago.. this, more than anything any kid has said about umpiring or the tribunal, has brought the game into disrepute, and it was all done by people who should just have known better.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Patrick Smith is beginning to win me over.

Pretty brave to criticise the supporters as they are the ones who buy the paper.

Topdog
21-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I wasn't salivating. It's sad for all concerned. Carlton or the AFL should have done the right thing a long time ago.. this, more than anything any kid has said about umpiring or the tribunal, has brought the game into disrepute, and it was all done by people who should just have known better.

Spot on Lantern.

bornadog
21-06-2008, 01:56 PM

No sympathy for that club, its members or directors.

Last week listening to SEN there was a discussion on the Doggies and their chances for this year in the finals. A typical arrogant Carlton supporter rings up and starts the old tragic history bit and talking up how great his club is and how we are a ramble of a club.

They are a bunch of cheating crooks who bought premierships on the back of guys like Elliott (insert failed bankrupt businessman) and if you really want to know what I really think of Carlton, you only have to ask:D

Dry Rot
21-06-2008, 03:09 PM
Rich, Vizard or Wheatley

I think Mick Gatto would make an excellent Carlton president, representing all that the club stands for.

alwaysadog
21-06-2008, 04:30 PM
It's really a shame about the CFC's "tragic history". On the surface such nice chaps, but on closer inspection just plain old crooks.

I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't laughing all the way to the bank.

alwaysadog
21-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I think Mick Gatto would make an excellent Carlton president, representing all that the club stands for.

DR, don't think they need Micky G they got their home grown crooks aplenty.

I suspect their lining up replacements right now.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 05:39 PM

All the qualifications.
Add his experience in weightlifting, restuarant citique and debt collection.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 01:56 PM
All I can say to Carlton and Mr Dick is Karma,

You reap what you sow.

cheers,

Jaxs :cool:

Or otherwise:

Main Entry: prat
Pronunciation: \ˈprat\
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from argot prat buttocks
Date: circa 1961
British : a stupid or foolish person

westdog54
23-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Or otherwise:

Main Entry: prat
British : a stupid or foolish person

How wonderfully apt.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Mick Gatto is perfect. Boxing experience to take over at Visy as well.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Clever Ernie, might go over one or two people's heads.

westdog54
24-06-2008, 11:32 PM

Clever Ernie, might go over one or two people's heads.

Had to think about that one for a minute or two.

Effing brilliant, Ernie strikes again.

FrediKanoute
25-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Patrick Smith is beginning to win me over.

Pretty brave to criticise the supporters as they are the ones who buy the paper.

I have always rated Patrick Smith.....good journo and rarely sensationalist!!

firstdogonthemoon
26-06-2008, 10:37 AM

:D:D:D