PDA

View Full Version : You vs Eade and the Bulldogs

Dry Rot
21-06-2008, 01:14 AM
You are a coach of one of the other fifteen teams facing the Dogs.

You are playing them next round. They have just come off big wins against the Hawks, the Lions and the Pies. They have no injuries.

Pick your team. Pick your tactics. And how will you you beat the Dogs next week?

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 02:59 AM
I pick North and hope that Johnno misses after the siren.

1eyedog
21-06-2008, 03:07 PM
My team to beat the Bulldogs

B Aqua Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Green Lantern

HB The Silver Surfer, Captain America, Hellboy

C Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man

HF Mr. Fantastic, Superman, Thing

FF The Flash, Thor, Colossus

Followers: Optimus Prime, Batman, Conan the Destroyer

I/C: The fantastic four

Maybe a bit top heavy up forward but confident they'll get the job done.

Game tactics: Use superpowers, it's the only way we're gonna win.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I'll be boring and say Geelong. Must give as much ball to the run of Ablett, Wojinski ect. Richmond almost beat us with their run but can't be depended on to do it when required.

If they attack us and tackle fiercely they can definitely win.

Twodogs
21-06-2008, 03:53 PM
I'll be boring and say Geelong. Must give as much ball to the run of Ablett, Wojinski ect. Richmond almost beat us with their run but can't be depended on to do it when required.

If they attack us and tackle fiercely they can definitely win.

Directing all your attack through one man-no matter how good he is is a sure fire way to lose a game against quality, disiplined and well coached opposition. If the other mob know what you are going to do when you get your hands on the ball then they will win the game.

It's very rarely opposition stars that win games against us, it's the Carrazo or Petrie types, good players who we havent done our homework on. How many times did Scott Welsh kick a bag against us, say compared to Fevola or another gun forward?

In answer to DRs question, I'd try and block the space our blokes use to run and create-ie corrall the ball carrier and make him hold up the play whilst making sure that he had no easy option to give the ball to. When I had the ball I'd try and frustate the hell out of us by holding possession and not turning it over. One of our major scoring methods is to worry the opposition into turning it over and then kill them going the other way. You'd need to protect the ball carrier at all costs with blocks and shephards in order to stop our players from getting a hand on his body and unbalancing him as he is kicking the ball to make him spray the kick. This would work best on smaller grounds. I really dont know what you'd try on a larger ground where we could just mass numbers on the other side of the ground and then switch play while the other side were all in their alloted spots.

Some sort of semi automatic weapon is the only thing that springs to mind.

hujsh
21-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Directing all your attack through one man-no matter how good he is is a sure fire way to lose a game against quality, disiplined and well coached opposition. If the other mob know what you are going to do when you get your hands on the ball then they will win the game.

It's very rarely opposition stars that win games against us, it's the Carrazo or Petrie types, good players who we havent done our homework on. How many times did Scott Welsh kick a bag against us, say compared to Fevola or another gun forward?

I think you've missed what i was saying. The teams that have attacked us have succeeded (Richmond and 3/4 of Essendon). So players like Ablett and Wojonski who would run and take us on would be important. Stokes and Johnson as well.

LostDoggy
21-06-2008, 10:14 PM
To beat the dogs im gunna say the Australian 06-07 cricket team..

Forwards: Shane Warne, Andrew Symonds, Nathan Bracken
Backs: Matthew Hayden, Mike Hussey, Glen McGrath
Centre: Brett Lee, Stuart Macgill, Ricky Ponting

Go_Dogs
22-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Adelaide in Adelaide round 22. Just employ the usual structures, stop the Dogs run and choke their game plan.

Mantis
22-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Adelaide in Adelaide round 22. Just employ the usual structures, stop the Dogs run and choke their game plan.

It was easy to do that when we are poor contested side, but we now get our hands to the ball at stoppages which makes us harder to contain.

Go_Dogs
22-06-2008, 12:31 PM
It was easy to do that when we are poor contested side, but we now get our hands to the ball at stoppages which makes us harder to contain.

True, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how we play down here in Rd 22. Going to be a very good indicator before finals of how far we've come.

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 01:11 PM
True, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how we play down here in Rd 22. Going to be a very good indicator before finals of how far we've come.

They could just about be shot by season's close - will make the 8, but probably around 6th. We may need to win to keep 2nd spot...

I'm looking forward to Geelong @ Geelong (where we've played well previously) and then Geelong vs Hawthorn the next week (or is it the week before?) They looked scary good again last night, I wonder if I'm getting my flag hopes up for nothing with them in this form.

Still, Lake can take Mooney, I imagine Boyd would get a crack at Gary and try to win just as much of the pill as he does, and if Hudson can control the centre and give us first opportunity, we'd give it a crack.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I would attack the dogs. Get the ball into the forward line quickly, i still think the Dogs backline is vunerable in one on one contests. Would direct the ball through Williams opponent as much as possible. Make Gilbee more accountable. Still think the Dogs are front runners and a little loose through the midfield (not as bad as previous yrs). And would apply pressure to the midfield so they couldnt pin point passes into the forward line as easily. No long marking target.

Murph
22-06-2008, 10:33 PM
My team to beat the Bulldogs

B Aqua Man, The Incredible Hulk, The Green Lantern

HB The Silver Surfer, Captain America, Hellboy

C Spiderman, Wolverine, Iron Man

HF Mr. Fantastic, Superman, Thing

FF The Flash, Thor, Colossus

Followers: Optimus Prime, Batman, Conan the Destroyer

I/C: The fantastic four

Maybe a bit top heavy up forward but confident they'll get the job done.

Game tactics: Use superpowers, it's the only way we're gonna win.

Nothing more to add, thought this post deserved an extra showing, funny stuff:D

On a side note... Why is it the Dogs struggle when they are solid favourites? I know they won today, but I still get the Heeby Geebies when we are backed so solidly like today, and justifiably so. Although they have the resolve this year to get over the line, I believe something should be done differently to mentally prepare them on such games.

mjp
22-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I would attack the dogs. Get the ball into the forward line quickly, i still think the Dogs backline is vunerable in one on one contests. Would direct the ball through Williams opponent as much as possible. Make Gilbee more accountable. Still think the Dogs are front runners and a little loose through the midfield (not as bad as previous yrs). And would apply pressure to the midfield so they couldnt pin point passes into the forward line as easily. No long marking target.

Agree. Take the young defenders as deep as possible and try to get Lake away from the area - basically, try and isolate on Williams, Everitt and Addison close to goal.

Stopping the dogs from scoring in order to win? That is proving a hard task due to their profficiency around the clearances, but I would certainly try and play a 16-man press and drag the likes of Hahn and Welsh as far from the scoring zone as possible...I suspect Eade would instruct them to play across half-forward regardless though, which would lead to an interesting battle of wills...

Twodogs
22-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I think you've missed what i was saying. The teams that have attacked us have succeeded (Richmond and 3/4 of Essendon). So players like Ablett and Wojonski who would run and take us on would be important. Stokes and Johnson as well.

Yep, you're quite right, I was completely at cross purposes with what you had written. For some reason I read your post as saying that Geelong should direct all their forward line thrusts through Ablett.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:58 PM
How to beat Eade.
Get a half decent side and the magpie umpires.

hujsh
22-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Yep, you're quite right, I was completely at cross purposes with what you had written. For some reason I read your post as saying that Geelong should direct all their forward line thrusts through Ablett.

That would be fun to watch though

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Stopping the dogs from scoring in order to win? That is proving a hard task due to their profficiency around the clearances, but I would certainly try and play a 16-man press and drag the likes of Hahn and Welsh as far from the scoring zone as possible...I suspect Eade would instruct them to play across half-forward regardless though, which would lead to an interesting battle of wills...

Is that press, the rolling zone that everyone is talking about Clarksons team using

Is that similar to what Adelaide did to us at the MCG in round 2/3 last year?

Mofra
22-06-2008, 11:47 PM
2 keys would have to be:

a. Don't play a spare man in defence. The Bulldogs will push another man forward to make them accountable, then roll through the forward rotations, attacking via the weakest opposition defender/best mis-match almost everytime. This dumbfounded Lyon in two games already.

b. Go man on man for the kick ins, concentrating on not letting the Bulldogs switch the play after the first kick in. Bulldogs generally switch until the fat side is fat enough to "take the space" all the way up to the HF line, which breaks down the opposition defensive zones that crippled us last year. It worked a treat against Hawthorn.

I'd also have a roving "old style" centreman rather than a spare man in defence; the Bulldogs run in waves, so this player either forces an extra possession for the Bulldog avenue to goal, or is often free on the turnover (this seemed to occur during the North game, and also parts of the Freo game).

Lastly, 1 player has to play defensive side of Griffen. He charges forward every stoppage, and with purpose. If his opponent is not awake to it, the ball is already moving forward the Bulldog's way.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Agree. Take the young defenders as deep as possible and try to get Lake away from the area - basically, try and isolate on Williams, Everitt and Addison close to goal.

Malthouse tried this yesterday and it worked for awhile. Rocca's sole job was to drag Lake away from deep inside the backline and more towards the wings. When Rocca went off in the third quarter, Colllingwood were 23 points ahead.
Hahn and Welsh, literally stood shoulder to shoulder in the goal square and stuck to the game plan as they were being dragged away early on and Hahn even found himself in the backline at one stage.

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 11:36 AM

Consider this hypothetical..... Round 22 we have secured 2nd spot and have the potential to take top spot if we win. Hawthorn (3rd) and Sydney (4th) are vying for 3rd playing carlton at TD and Brisbane at SCG respectively. Geelong play the Eagles at Skilled and are favourites to retain top spot.

Do we rest some of our players allowing them to freshen up before the finals, or do we have a crack knowing that if we finish on top, we are a chance to play Sydney here (possibly at TD) in the first week of the finals..

Please consider

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Consider this hypothetical..... Round 22 we have secured 2nd spot and have the potential to take top spot if we win. Hawthorn (3rd) and Sydney (4th) are vying for 3rd playing carlton at TD and Brisbane at SCG respectively. Geelong play the Eagles at Skilled and are favourites to retain top spot.

Do we rest some of our players allowing them to freshen up before the finals, or do we have a crack knowing that if we finish on top, we are a chance to play Sydney here (possibly at TD) in the first week of the finals..

Please consider
I don't believe you can afford to flirt with form. It's not something that can be turned on & off like a tap.

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't believe you can afford to flirt with form. It's not something that can be turned on & off like a tap.

I agree. I would not like to "rest" players but it would be interesting to see the club's reaction.