PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Magpies

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 09:02 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays game and this is one that we always love to win.

Griffen for the first goal
Bulldogs by 36 points
Gilbee BOG

Is anyone concerned that the undermanned Magpies pose a big risk to us?

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 11:00 AM

Yes!!!
We've had more positive publicity this week than for the last 5 years. Meanwhile Collingwood look like they'll be a walkover. That never meakes me confident.

Cooney BOG
Cooney first goal
Cooney by 28, sorry Dogs by 28

Go_Dogs
22-06-2008, 11:32 AM
First goal Murph
BOG Lake
Dogs by 40+

Should be an easy win if we play well and work hard. Good opportunity to all but secure the top 4 spot and really position ourselves for the run home. Big worries about Didak, and Pendlebury for mine. Both could tear us up.

1eyedog
22-06-2008, 11:54 AM
This is the discussion thread for todays game and this is one that we always love to win.

Griffen for the first goal
Bulldogs by 36 points
Gilbee BOG

No.

Murphy for the first major
Bulldogs by 60 points
Akermanis will run amok today and get BOG, he could kick 8!

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 11:59 AM
First goal to Cooney. A win to the Doggies by anything less than 30 points will be disappointing given our recent form and the Pies' outs.

BulldogBelle
22-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Yes, these have been the sorts of games I am always weary of - Collingwood will come out blazing we must contain them from the onset.

In saying that I still think we will win confortably -

Dogs by 25 points
Cooney BOG
Mitch Hahn first goal.

aker39
22-06-2008, 12:54 PM
There's talk that Didak may be out.

Don't know how reliable the source is, but I've heard it from two people.

Max469
22-06-2008, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=BulldogBelle;43909]Yes, these have been the sorts of games I am always weary of - Collingwood will come out blazing we must contain them from the onset.

Same for me - especially as the Pies supporters that I work with a concerned we are going to thump them - they are not cocky at all - which worries me.

In saying that:

Dogs by 28 points

BOG - Aker

1st Goal - Gia

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 01:05 PM
After a hot opening, Hudson will take control of the centre and we will win by 7 goals. Cooney to keep on Ablett's tail in the Brownlow with another BOG, Brad Johnson first goal.

Wondering if Collingwood will flood with so many out....

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Danger game!

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 01:36 PM
All Dog supporters will know of so many games in the past where we have been rated and expected to win only to come off second best. Much prefer the under the radar status, as footy is so much played between the ears. I just hope our players haven't been reading and believing all the hype from this week. The all you have to is turn up to win mentality that seems to be pervading us from every quarter worries me. We only have to be 5% off our game and think we are home and we won't be.

Mantis
22-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Danger game!

There all danger games...

Let's hope our players are switched on for this one. If we are we should win this one pretty comforatbly.

Dogs by 39.5+

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I get uneasy when we get a lot of positive media attention going into a game like this.....
I'm actually a bt worried, i dont think it's going to be near as easy as people think!
Dogs by... 20 points
Welsh for first goal
I'll go with Cooney for BOG

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Murphy First Goal
Aker B.O.G
Dogs by 31pts

Rach
22-06-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm gonna go Welsh for first goal, Murphy BOG, Doggies by 26 points

wimberga
22-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Dogs by 47
Cooney BOG
Minson first goal

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Terrible half of footy, our worst for the year. Absolute crap delivery into the forward line, no forward line pressure, no half forwards presenting.

Lucky The Pies are kicking bad.

We'd want to improve if we're any chance of winning.

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Terrible half of footy, our worst for the year. Absolute crap delivery into the forward line, no forward line pressure, no half forwards presenting.

Defence stood up well early but didn't work hard enough in the 2nd term, last goal to Bryan really disappointing.

We've been up for a while, had to come down at some point, but with the margin what it is, we can still win pretty easy if we get going. Bregaking down at half forward very badly, Hahn did have a good quarter though. Best I've seen Eagleton play for a while, Ray too (though he farks up a bit) and Addison's attack on the footy first rate. Brad Johnson needs to drag Shaw to the goal square

Ipaidmy200in89
22-06-2008, 07:02 PM

We are in big trouble. Again not looking like we can win the games that we need to! A win today puts us ahead of Hawthorn. It is a must win. Lift ya game boys.....come on. Don't allow the pies to deny us!

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Thought we were gone when Wood put them 23 up, but injuries and Aka/Welsh standing up has given us a sniff

Footnote, I hate that Gerard Healy keeps calling Matty Boyd 'Brad Boyd'

Rach
22-06-2008, 07:59 PM
I can't stand Gerald Healy.
I was listening to SEN online in the first half before finally getting to watch it on TV, SEN's commentators annoyed me.... Something like this - "AND COLLINGWOOD GET A GOAL!" compared to "Bulldogs get a goal" :rolleyes:

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Boyd's tackle on Thomas was crucial and just gold really (especially since it was Thomas - I'd LOVE to know what Matty said to him) Got very nervous when Lake gave it up to Swan for a goal with a few minutes left.

Goes to show endeavour and game plan can take you a long way - though part of that game plan involved playing an unfit Rocca and it's cost em big. I hope Williams' arm isn't serious.

Everett was great, Hahn was pretty good, Cross was good, Cooney solid - they kept saying Murphy was quiet but he had just under 20 touches and two goals. Not ideal, but we'll take it.

Clearly I watched at home on Foxtel (given the time I'm posting this) what was the atmosphere like guys? It looked tense - good experience for the youngens

hujsh
22-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Boyd's tackle on Thomas was crucial and just gold really (especially since it was Thomas - I'd LOVE to know what Matty said to him)

HA HA HA HA! Thomas...HA HA HA

Golden moment that if we didn't win we'd at least have that.

Andy Everitt played very well and showed that poise for the first time this year.
Glad Williams is alright.

We won with dirty a dirty Aka and Johnno.

Dermot and Thomas on SEN are saying that "the more they win the more vulnerable they'll be":rolleyes:

The Pie Man
22-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Dermot and Thomas on SEN are saying that "the more they win the more vulnerable they'll be":rolleyes:

Yeah whatever Thomas, how he gets a job on radio, zero credibility. I'll take a loss later in the year once Sydney can't catch us.

Anyone know why Hudson was on the bench for so long? Will did well, but Hudson's clearly the better ruckman, and seemed to be sitting it out for plenty of it.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:14 PM
They are SO stupid. Don't get ahead of ourselves, Dermie says, because we had a 'review' at the end of last year. WE KNOW YOU DUMBASSES. Geelong won a flag after THEIR review.

The Dogs have won zero grand finals in a row, say Dermie.

How about Hawthorn and Dermie jumping all over their bandwagon after Round 5? How many grand finals have Hawthorn played in the last ten years Derm? Dumbass.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Johnson stepped up in the second half, he could have and should have kicked a couple of more goals, but I thought he at least lifted and he desperately needed to.

Murphy lifted a bit too, but not a great game despite his touches and two goals.

Aker was as bad as I've ever seen him. He looked incredibly slow, applied no pressure, fumbled and missed easy shots on goal. I hope it's just a bad week.

Everitt was fantastic, he ran hard, used his long kicking skills, fired off some long handballs and spoiled really well. Hopefully Williams is OK, he took a really strong contested grab in the first quarter, it's important he's OK.

Welsh sprayed a few, but he played well, he contests well and kicked crucial goals at pivotal times in the third quarter to get us back into the game.

Hahn was our best target up forward, he contested hard and creates opportunities from nothing. Took strong grabs and kicked goals - when a number of our forwards were down, it was great to see him step up.

Addison didn't get a lot of it, but he made every contest a strong one and really gave us an edge. It was a shame he didn't get more of it because what he did do was very effective, he won a number of really hard contested footballs.

Overall, it was clear Eade wasn't pleased with the way we played when being interviewed by Smithy after the game, and I'm glad - because we played terrible. Skills were ordinary, we slipped over too much, we were unaccountable & bombed long into the forwards with no strategy. Pleasing thing is we grinded out a win even though we played poor, and we now sit second on the ladder.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Oh, how could I leave out Hargrave and Morris - both brilliant in defense and really limited Medhurst & Didak which probably won us the game in the end, as both have been in good form. Hargrave is certainly in career best form at the moment, and that's largely due to Williams and Everitt being included into the lineup - hopefully Williams is OK.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Aker was as bad as I've ever seen him. He looked incredibly slow, applied no pressure, fumbled and missed easy shots on goal. I hope it's just a bad week.

Agreed, yet he still managed to kick it to Mitch's advantage twice in the goal square and kicked a goal on the run from just inside the fifty off two steps. The man is a gun and he will be pacing himself to hit top form in the finals.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh, how could I leave out Hargrave and Morris - both brilliant in defense and really limited Medhurst & Didak which probably won us the game in the end, as both have been in good form. Hargrave is certainly in career best form at the moment, and that's largely due to Williams and Everitt being included into the lineup - hopefully Williams is OK.

Hargrave played very well -- I just wish he would stop giving away freekicks and 50m penalties. That push on Medhurst was just silly and couldn't have been timed more badly -- put us down by our biggest margin all day.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Ben Johnson for the medal? Total Bullsh*t

Lindsay Gilbee played a fantastic game... He should have been ahead of him surely..

Listening to SEN on the way home, it was all about the pies...and their fans calling up to winge about the umpiring...they always goto the umpiring dont they...cant blame crap performances from top players (eg. Didak, Thomas) they have to go the easy option and blame the umps for every game they lose, sickens me.

On the plus side - We're 2nd!!! and they still arent giving us creidt, stuff the media i say.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:49 PM
BEN JOHNSON. Fark.

Umpiring? They got three 50s that resulted in goals and Lakey had all of 3 seconds to play on after his own 50, got caught and gave up a goal. That's FOUR goals to the umpire. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY ON ABOUT???

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Well as it ended up it was very much a danger game. The Pies prepared for this encounter as well as you could expect and they showed a lot of character but we also did very well to answer the challenge.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Well as it ended up it was very much a danger game. The Pies prepared for this encounter as well as you could expect and they showed a lot of character but we were also very doo to answer the challenge.

Haha very "doo", Gary? :)

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Nail biting stuff. Glad to get away with the four points. Full credit to the Pies

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Haha very "doo", Gary? :)

All fixed :D

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Ben Johnson for the medal? Total Bullsh*t

Lindsay Gilbee played a fantastic game... He should have been ahead of him surely..

Exactly what i thought when i herd Ben Johnson was awarded the medal...err, right....

I was talking to my Collingwood supporting friend, and he said he turned off the radio because the commentary was so biased! :eek:

My absolute favourite moment was the Matty Boyd tackle on show pony Thomas....
Tried to be all flashy!

Another gripe is that i think it was Healey or Frawley kept calling Brian Lake Brian HARRIS.
Repeatedly.

BulldogBelle
22-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Like everyone else I was surprised with Ben Johnson getting the medal - if I had to make an unbiased view I would probably have picked Heath Shaw.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:41 PM
My absolute favourite moment was the Matty Boyd tackle on show pony Thomas....
Tried to be all flashy!

Hahhaa i loved it...the collingwood supporters next to me werent impressed as i stood up cheering for my life, YOU CANT BREAK THE WALL OF BOYDY, DALE THOMAS

JimmySewell
22-06-2008, 10:42 PM
great character, guts and determination to get over the line after 1/2 time being down and out

dont forget, the pies would be seething after losing to carlton, so even though we played bad today, to stand up in the danger game and still get the chocholate was great !:)

Jim !

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 10:51 PM
To be fair Johnson kept Aker very quiet for a large portion of the match and was fairly damaging. Although I couldn't really tell you who was good for Collingwood as I don't usually see the opposition as players, just obstacles. Appreciating both teams is for when the Dogs aren't involved.
Boyd's tackle on Thomas was almost match winning. Lake's **** up after the 50 was almost match losing and unforgivable. There's been a few little things creeping into our game like that and Eags banana at goal last week that make me think someone's going to give us a reality check sooner or later if we don't rein it in a little, it was nearly today. Collingwood played us very well up until half way through the 3rd quarter then we started to get some run and broke it open.

Thought Gilbs was great and that Ray's run when we weren't playing so well was crucial to keeping us in the game. Morris also very good as was Addison although it doesn't show on the stats sheet. Minson had some big touches when it counted. Not such good days for Hudson, and Aker. Thought Collingwood's rucks exploited us a bit going the other way, although allowing them to kick goals from F50 marks when playing deep forward was disappointing. Cooney, Boyd and Cross are all just playing excellent football. A relief to get the 4 points.

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:52 PM
A couple of things really stood out for me. When we were under the pump earlier some really good courageous/sacrificial acts by some of the younger guys, Dylan Addison & Callan Ward in particular were outstanding.
The defence held it together early as the Pies clearly were the better team & should have been 4 goals + in front at 1/4 time.
Shaggy Hargraves is having a great year.
Did anyone else notice that for most of the game, the bounce of the ball and flukey stuff went in favour of the pies?
I couldnt get over it.
Good to win ugly.....

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Hahn should have won the medal.

Mantis
22-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Hahn should have won the medal.

Been smoking the 'waccy tobaccy'??

Mantis
22-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Really poor performance.

Heath Shaw is a vital player for Collingwood. His output over the past month has been way down due to close checking. Why the hell were our players either instructed or allowed to let him do as he pleased??

bornadog
22-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Danger game!

sure was

LostDoggy
Been smoking the 'waccy tobaccy'??
Me?
Are you telling me Hahn wasn't the most influential player on the ground. Beat his man regularily in one on ones, kicked 3, gave a few off, missed some easy one. I think it was only 17 possies but he was the difference between us winning and losing.

hujsh
Really poor performance.

Heath Shaw is a vital player for Collingwood. His output over the past month has been way down due to close checking. Why the hell were our players either instructed or allowed to let him do as he pleased??

Didn't he go to Johnson? Clever move as he wouldn't want to follow him around too much

Sedat
22-06-2008, 11:05 PM
dont forget, the pies would be seething after losing to carlton, so even though we played bad today, to stand up in the danger game and still get the chocholate was great !:)
Make no mistake, that was a Wallace style "crunch game" for the Pies today. Why else would they have taken a massive risk with Rocca. Extremely happy to guts out a tight win without playing at our optimum (or not being allowed to more accurately). Finals victories generally aren't 10 goal thumpings so matches like today's are invaluable as part of the learning curve.

bornadog
Lake's **** up after the 50 was almost match losing and unforgivable.

Watching the replay, Lake was saying to the umpire he didn't hear him call play on, so I think it is forgivable. Lake played a great game today.

Mantis
Me?
Are you telling Hahn wasn't the most influential player on the ground. He was the difference between us winning and losing.

His 2 kicks in the first half were awesome, really imposed himself on the contest.

hujsh
22-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Watching the replay, Lake was saying to the umpire he didn't hear him call play on, si I think it is forgivable. Lake played a great game today.

Lake moved half a step away if that and was called play on.

Just a bit trigger happy like with Johnson's holding the ball decision

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Watching the replay, Lake was saying to the umpire he didn't hear him call play on, so I think it is forgivable. Lake played a great game today.

I'd say good rather than great. I didn't think he paid a couple of his opponents enough respect at times, but he did some very good things as well.

bornadog
22-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I thought in the middle of the last quarter when we got on top and were 19 points ahead, we slacked off and let them back in. We started to be a little too cute with our passing and handballs. However, all credit to the boys to put in a last big effort to bottle up the game when Collingwood threw everything at us in the last 5 minutes. Four straight points was not good either.

Eades interview after the game was interesting. Eade looked like he was still fuming as he said the players didn't follow the game plan in parts of the game.

On the way home listening to the radio, the commentators mentioned that Malthouse was summonsing Heath Shaw to come off the ground, and he refused to come off. Reminds out at VFL park when Malthouse was trying to get Brad Hardie off the ground and Hardie was so pissed, he took his jumper off and started waving it at the coaches box.

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I thought in the middle of the last quarter when we got on top and were 19 points ahead, we slacked off and let them back in. We started to be a little too cute with our passing and handballs. However, all credit to the boys to put in a last big effort to bottle up the game when Collingwood threw everything at us in the last 5 minutes. Four straight points was not good either.

Eades interview after the game was interesting. Eade looked like he was still fuming as he said the players didn't follow the game plan in parts of the game.

On the way home listening to the radio, the commentators mentioned that Malthouse was summonsing Heath Shaw to come off the ground, and he refused to come off. Reminds out at VFL park when Malthouse was trying to get Brad Hardie off the ground and Hardie was so pissed, he took his jumper off and started waving it at the coaches box.

Yeah definitely not one of our most disciplined efforts. In the first half it looked like Collingwood had 22 on the ground. Constantly had loose men. Some very very lax marking. Saw Gilbee get caught out running forward of a 50/50 that we lost. Also Wellingham was on his own 25 out for 30 seconds while at least Shaggy was without an opponent 50 metres down the ground. Not saying it was his man but we've got to be more aware than that and cover.
If Shaw and Malthouse can't patch it up and Shaw wants a trade I'm sure we could find a back pocket for him...

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 11:34 PM
His 2 kicks in the first half were awesome, really imposed himself on the contest.
They would have been 2 contested marks for 2 goals and add a few given off. Important goals that kept us in the game.
We have didn't 4 quarter player nor did the pies. Basically the only player we had that bet his man consistently.
Who do you suggest, since you know all and are happy just to snipe me?

Mofra
22-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Me?
Are you telling me Hahn wasn't the most influential player on the ground. Beat his man regularily in one on ones, kicked 3, gave a few off, missed some easy one. I think it was only 17 possies but he was the difference between us winning and losing.
Was thinking the same thing about Hudson. His bulk in the centre was telling, saved some clearances & created some of his own.
\
Everything we'd been told prior to this season about his 2nd & 3rd efforts was true. He is awesome for us.

craigsahibee
22-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Good sides win ugly and we proved we are a good side today. Defenders were great gain. Some real positive signs from Everiit and DFA. Almost time to drop the F I reckon as he is getting better and more reliable each week. Dylan's second and third efforts are fantastic.

As for Boydy's tackle. Brilliant. Put that Paddlepop Lion freak back in his place.

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Good sides win ugly and we proved we are a good side today. Defenders were great gain. Some real positive signs from Everiit and DFA. Almost time to drop the F I reckon as he is getting better and more reliable each week. Dylan's second and third efforts are fantastic.

As for Boydy's tackle. Brilliant. Put that Paddlepop Lion freak back in his place.

Hasn't Addison really made some progress this year? He isn't the most skillful of players but he has a red hot go each week. Everitt is warming up nicely and will be even better in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

bornadog
22-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Hasn't Addison really made some progress this year? He isn't the most skillful of players but he has a red hot go each week. Everitt is warming up nicely and will be even better in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

I thought both youngsters did well. Although Addisons stats don't show a lot, he played his man tight and runs straight for the ball, he is a tough little bugger.

I thought With Williams being injured, Everitt more than filled in at CHB. 18 disposals including 4 marks and made good use of every ball he got and he is still only 19 years and three months old and played his 11th game of AFL.

1eyedog
22-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Danger game!

you were spot on in the end and I was over confident

Sockeye Salmon
23-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Me?

I didn't give Hahn votes but I considered him. I thought he was pretty good.

Saying he was BOG is stretching it a bit.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 08:47 AM
I didn't give Hahn votes but I considered him. I thought he was pretty good.

Saying he was BOG is stretching it a bit.
I really thought he was our only winner in his position.

Just thinking I beleive Morris and Hargrave won their positions well, but obviously didn't have as much influence on our score.

Go_Dogs
23-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Interesting game, and one that we didn't really play that well in. Our ball movement was pretty average for most of the day (Collingwood's forward forays seemed a lot smoother and more effective to me generally).

Thankfully we have Cooney, who seemed to bob up around most contests to help out.

aker39
23-06-2008, 09:51 AM

A few of us were saying the same thing at half time. Opposition clubs have been basically tagging Shaw in the last couple of weeks.

JimmySewell
23-06-2008, 12:02 PM
jarred malloy - as usual, didnt give cooney any credit !

in actual fact, cooney was our saving grace at crucial times in the game - he seemed to bob up and get a crucial hard ball or take away at pivital times in the game ! cooney definitely had a big influence on the outcome

As usual, Jarred Malloy - your a tosser who never gives us any credit !:mad:

Jim

Mantis
23-06-2008, 12:17 PM
A few of us were saying the same thing at half time. Opposition clubs have been basically tagging Shaw in the last couple of weeks.

So why did Gia and Johnson give him so much latitude?

Johnson fell back into his old habit's yesterday. The number of times he went to ground in a marking contest had to be counted on 2 hand's. He played for too many free kicks and took the easy option on too many occassions, which had hadn't been doing over the last month.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I really thought he was our only winner in his position.

Just thinking I beleive Morris and Hargrave won their positions well, but obviously didn't have as much influence on our score.

Last time I checked kicking 6 points equates to the same amount of influence as stopping 6 points does. Hahn did do very well, but I thought Morris was easily our BOG.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 01:46 PM
So why did Gia and Johnson give him so much latitude?

Johnson fell back into his old habit's yesterday. The number of times he went to ground in a marking contest had to be counted on 2 hand's. He played for too many free kicks and took the easy option on too many occassions, which had hadn't been doing over the last month.

I think that it may have been a case of monkey-see monkey-do. The Pies were getting a fair run of soft free kicks early, but when the boot was on the other foot we didnt get them, Johnno does play for them, too much in my opinion, but he may have thought that the umpires interprestation had been set in stone for the game and he wouldve got some frees due to the Pies being paid similar ones.

Sockeye Salmon
23-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Last time I checked kicking 6 points equates to the same amount of influence as stopping 6 points does. Hahn did do very well, but I thought Morris was easily our BOG.

Don't you just write this in every week before the game?

The Underdog
23-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Don't you just write this in every week before the game?

It helps that she's watching him 95% of the time:D

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 02:21 PM
It helps that she's watching him 95% of the time:D

Maybe...but the Herald Sun agrees with me this time. Mitch Hahn was good the 10 or so times the ball went near him, Dale had the most contested possessions on the ground, kept Didak and Thomas to nothing really, and did it all without having a second on the bench. To me that equals best on ground, just because he didn't kick the goals doesn't mean he wasn't the most influential or important.

The Underdog
23-06-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe...but the Herald Sun agrees with me this time. Mitch Hahn was good the 10 or so times the ball went near him, Dale had the most contested possessions on the ground, kept Didak and Thomas to nothing really, and did it all without having a second on the bench. To me that equals best on ground, just because he didn't kick the goals doesn't mean he wasn't the most influential or important.

It's alright I agree. Dale was fantastic as he has been all year

Mantis
23-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Take a chill pill....

I think a lesson has been learnt by all.

And yes Dale played another very good game yesterday.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Take a chill pill....

I think a lesson has been learnt by all.

And yes Dale played another very good game yesterday.

I'm sorry if I came off really defensive, I was trying to prove that I do pay attention to his statistics and facts rather than my own admittedly biased perception...sorry.

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm sorry if I came off really defensive, I was trying to prove that I do pay attention to his statistics and facts rather than my own admittedly biased perception...sorry.

Love your passion. It's all good. We all love Dale.

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Love your passion. It's all good. We all love Dale.

At one point yesterday I shouted encouragement to Dale while he was playing on Thomas. The Collingwood supporters around me looked at me with bemused expressions on their faces, thinking I was encouraging the Paddle Pop Lion. As if he's the only Dale in the world! :rolleyes:

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2008, 04:39 PM

I agree, I had him and Hargrave as our two best, both were very good in defense and they kept Collingwood's in-form and very dangerous small forwards to little impact.

Probably as good as game as Morris has played, certainly on par with his efforts in Round 3.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Which moments can you say they stopped a certain goal? At least with scoring goal its in the score and stats.
Otherwise I agree Morris was very good.

firstdogonthemoon
23-06-2008, 05:39 PM
At one point yesterday I shouted encouragement to Dale while he was playing on Thomas. The Collingwood supporters around me looked at me with bemused expressions on their faces, thinking I was encouraging the Paddle Pop Lion. As if he's the only Dale in the world! :rolleyes:

Ive told you before you need to stop cheering fictional characters who arent playing. This is like when Caramello Bear had to take out a restraining order against you.

And anyway, the Paddle Pop lion plays for Adelaide doesnt he?

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Ive told you before you need to stop cheering fictional characters who arent playing. This is like when Caramello Bear had to take out a restraining order against you.

Did you not read the most hated opposition player thread?

Heres a funny look alike for all you Dale Thomas Haters !:D

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n19/wian_ian/DaleThomas.jpg

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 06:03 PM
One thing i noticed was the free kicks paid against Hudson....
I thought he got a pretty rough deal off the umpires.
Was that just me?

Rach
23-06-2008, 06:11 PM
I've noticed Huddo seems to take the ball out of the ruck contest a lot and then gets caught holding the ball.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I've noticed Huddo seems to take the ball out of the ruck contest a lot and then gets caught holding the ball.

I think that was the dumbest rule change of all time.

dog town
23-06-2008, 06:58 PM
That was a good test for us. We had a number of players well down, were probably beaten tactically and had an opposition that were in a must win situation. To come away with the win says alot about where we are at.

The backline was again absolutely brilliant. Kept us in the game during the first half and then took over it in the second.

I thought Malthouse coached brilliantly against us. He really stifled our run and we struggled to find an outlet pass coming off half back. The only time we looked dangerous for the first quarter and a half was when we won a centre clearance.

I dont have time to do a full run down but I will mention a few players briefly.

Cross- Was close to our best IMO. He is a fantastic leader out on the ground and often does something vital just when we need it. It is as if he senses the moment. Two of these occured yesterday. One was when he sprinted to a contest at half back that he had no right to be in and won it with complete desperation. The other was deep in the last quarter when we were up by only a goal and desperately needed another score to make it two scoring shots between us and the pies. We kicked the ball down the line to a contest giving the pies a chance at getting the ball back but Cross took a brilliant contested mark. He does these things every week at crucial times. Just thought it was worth highlighting.

Hahn- Probably our most influential player on the day, Our only genuine winner up forward for the game. Going to be important in September. I thought we could have pushed him up the ground when we were falling down across half forward and played Murphy out of the square.

Ray- A couple of opponents really got the better of him and when he got the ball himself he used it poorly. He often just tries to do a little bit to much with the ball. I would like to see him take the first option a little bit more and not over think the situation. We have plenty of players pushing up from Willy so he would want to improve on that form.

Morris- Had my doubts about him on Didak as the clever guys can sometimes clean him up a bit but he was sensational and gave plenty of run as well.

Hargrave- Very good again. Beat Medhurst and gave plenty of drive.

Everitt- Got some amazing spoils in and played his best game of the year.

Aker- He is injured. Nothing surer IMO. He is our best tackler most of the time but 5 or 6 times he didn't even attempt to move laterally in pursuing someone. My bet would be its an ankle/knee/groin or hip. Something that stops him going sideays. Break could come at a good time for us.

1eyedog
23-06-2008, 07:15 PM
That was a good test for us. We had a number of players well down, were probably beaten tactically and had an opposition that were in a must win situation. To come away with the win says alot about where we are at.

The backline was again absolutely brilliant. Kept us in the game during the first half and then took over it in the second.

I thought Malthouse coached brilliantly against us. He really stifled our run and we struggled to find an outlet pass coming off half back. The only time we looked dangerous for the first quarter and a half was when we won a centre clearance.

I dont have time to do a full run down but I will mention a few players briefly.

Cross- Was close to our best IMO. He is a fantastic leader out on the ground and often does something vital just when we need it. It is as if he senses the moment. Two of these occured yesterday. One was when he sprinted to a contest at half back that he had no right to be in and won it with complete desperation. The other was deep in the last quarter when we were up by only a goal and desperately needed another score to make it two scoring shots between us and the pies. We kicked the ball down the line to a contest giving the pies a chance at getting the ball back but Cross took a brilliant contested mark. He does these things every week at crucial times. Just thought it was worth highlighting.

Hahn- Probably our most influential player on the day, Our only genuine winner up forward for the game. Going to be important in September. I thought we could have pushed him up the ground when we were falling down across half forward and played Murphy out of the square.

Ray- A couple of opponents really got the better of him and when he got the ball himself he used it poorly. He often just tries to do a little bit to much with the ball. I would like to see him take the first option a little bit more and not over think the situation. We have plenty of players pushing up from Willy so he would want to improve on that form.

Morris- Had my doubts about him on Didak as the clever guys can sometimes clean him up a bit but he was sensational and gave plenty of run as well.

Hargrave- Very good again. Beat Medhurst and gave plenty of drive.

Everitt- Got some amazing spoils in and played his best game of the year.

Aker- He is injured. Nothing surer IMO. He is our best tackler most of the time but 5 or 6 times he didn't even attempt to move laterally in pursuing someone. My bet would be its an ankle/knee/groin or hip. Something that stops him going sideays. Break could come at a good time for us.

I thought Ray was one of our better players on the day

dog town
23-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I thought Ray was one of our better players on the day He was ok when we had the ball but his opponents slayed us in the first half. It was the sort of game where everyone could see it was going to be an arm wrestle and we could not afford to be as unaccountable as he was early. He tightened up after half time but struggled with the ball in his hand. Might be a bit harsh but stats alone cannot measure performance. He can improve all those areas though.

dog town
23-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I forgot to mention our defensive stoppages. We coughed up 3 goals from defensive stoppages which is a concern. We didn't even have a sweeper at the back of the pack for one of them. That sort of thing can cost you close games as Geelong found out in a semi final a few years back.

Mantis
23-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I forgot to mention our defensive stoppages. We coughed up 3 goals from defensive stoppages which is a concern. We didn't even have a sweeper at the back of the pack for one of them. That sort of thing can cost you close games as Geelong found out in a semi final a few years back.

Good point, was simply astonished that we didn't have one player goal side of his opponent for this stoppage.

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 07:33 PM
He was ok when we had the ball but his opponents slayed us in the first half. It was the sort of game where everyone could see it was going to be an arm wrestle and we could not afford to be as unaccountable as he was early. He tightened up after half time but struggled with the ball in his hand. Might be a bit harsh but stats alone cannot measure performance. He can improve all those areas though.
I've just finished watching a replay. Seems there's a perception rather than fact about Farren's disposal. It was pretty good on the weekend.

dog town
23-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I've just finished watching a replay. Seems there's a perception rather than fact about Farren's disposal. It was pretty good on the weekend.
His actual skills are ok as a rule, its the decisions he makes with the ball that concern me. I can think of 4 times off the top of my head where he held onto the ball for way to long and pretty much butchered our forward foray. He did this alot last season as well. He just holds onto the footy until he is about to be tackled and puts enormous pressure on himself.

Did you see him run at an opponent and then handball backwards to another one when we had runners free everywhere?

I am not out to cut him down. Just calling it as I see it. He will get 20 or so tocuhes most weeks if given free reign but at this stage his best games have come as a defensive running player. I just want him to get the ball and give it off first option. The whole team is doing this and we are moving the ball better for it. It is when we start playing that pretty run and draw game of last season that we get into trouble. He was not on his own yesterday but its something Ray has been a repeat offender with.

Raw Toast
23-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Great report DT.

Agree that some of Everitt's spoils were amazing - I was actually a bit disappointed with his kicking in the first half, seemed to be leaving the ball just short of our lead-up players (which was an unfortunate team trend), but his desperation at the contest in the second half was inspiring. He has long arms IIRC, and put them to great use. If he builds his game around that sort of desperation then he'll be super.

Boyd did a number of super things as well, keeps on setting us up as well as negating opponents, and I think Eade was right to single him and Cross out.

Morris was as composed as I've seen him with the ball. Had a great moment where he feinted a hand-ball and then worked with the space that opened up for him. It seems like quite a few in the team are learning from Cooney's added composure this season and his ability to create space and size up his option. It's a dangerous thing to do, because you can open yourself up to being crunched and can get a bit too arrogant, but when balanced with normally using the first option, it can really help split the game open.

Eade said they worked harder than us for most of the game and I think he was spot on. In the second quarter there were a few moment where it was clear they were trying for an overlap down the wing, and we just didn't work defensively to try and stop it.

Eagle had some very good moments and some appalling ones. He played from behind as a forward a few times, and was pretty poor in some contested situations. His run is important but he'd want to do better, because Hill will be challenging for his spot sometime soon I reckon.

Ward's hands are so good in leading marking contests. From what we've seen, if the ball is put in front of him he'll mark it out in front. He might be dropped back for Hill, but I'd like to see used as a leading half-forward flanker, and maybe even a bit deeper in the forward fifty. When we're breaking down like we were across half-forward he looks like he could be another go-to small leading type.

Twodogs
23-06-2008, 09:47 PM

Judging by the size of his head he'd be a Hawthorn player.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 10:48 PM

Good to hear, I was beginning to think I saw things differently.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Good to hear, I was beginning to think I saw things differently.

It would appear the coaches agreed with you Ernie.

Coaches votes went to
H. Shaw
R. Shaw
Murphy
Hahn
Morris*

* Not really sure that the last one was actually Morris.

PS. It may have passed some of you by but the Shaw brothers were identified by Sockeye Salmon in the opposition profile thread as our biggest threat.

PPS. I didn't actually say 'threat', but it think that it could be assumed that was what I meant by choosing to profile them.

PPPS. When I said I was only picking them because they were the only ones I could think of anything to write about I was only being flippant.

Rocket Science
24-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Coaches votes went to
H. Shaw
R. Shaw
Murphy
Hahn
Morris*

* Not really sure that the last one was actually Morris.

Twas actually Hargrave as opposed to Morris. Testament to his good recent form.

...and naturally while discussing the game at reasonable length (Rocca/Collingwood) those Ch9 wankers couldn't find time to make mention of the victors.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:34 AM
No doubt if with normal umpiring Heath Shaw would not have been so influential. He had hands in Brad Johnson's back a number of times, each time it wasn't penalised and he ran off with the ball.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:39 AM
...and naturally while discussing the game at reasonable length (Rocca/Collingwood) those Ch9 wankers couldn't find time to make mention of the victors.
I turned off when the spin king Wallace was on.

I also can't believe how they didn't stick it into Collingwood for playing a suspect Rocca and reinjuring himself. Doc Larkins is a round about way said he was right to play but it was obvious they rushed him in. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:42 AM
No doubt if with normal umpiring Heath Shaw would not have been so influential. He had hands in Brad Johnson's back a number of times, each time it wasn't penalised and he ran off with the ball.

I watched the replay yesterday & noted what you said Ernie is spot on. Time & time again Johnno was nudged under the ball by Shaw in an illegal manner.

Mantis
24-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I watched the replay yesterday & noted what you said Ernie is spot on. Time & time again Johnno was nudged under the ball by Shaw in an illegal manner.

But does Johnno adear himself to the men in white (or whatever colour they wear) with his constant bickering. After almost every contest he was looking directly at the ump's with his arms raised almost perplexed to why he hadn't received a free. He would receive a few more free's, and many warranted, if he just got on with the job at hand, that is to stay in the contest.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 09:06 AM
But does Johnno adear himself to the men in white (or whatever colour they wear) with his constant bickering. After almost every contest he was looking directly at the ump's with his arms raised almost perplexed to why he hadn't received a free. He would receive a few more free's, and many warranted, if he just got on with the job at hand, that is to stay in the contest.

Yep. Thats true but why did it seem everytime a pies played asked for a free that got it. Expecially the 50m penalties.

aker39
24-06-2008, 09:22 AM

He ran off with the ball because Johnno was to busy whinging.

aker39
24-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Yep. Thats true but why did it seem everytime a pies played asked for a free that got it. Expecially the 50m penalties.

They must have asked nicely.

Just like our Brian Lake when he got his two 50m penalties, and then fcuked up both of them. Bloody umpires

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 01:00 PM
The hands-in-the-back rule is a complete lottery.

They may have brought it in with the best of intentions but it has been a complete ****up since day 1.

Every single game you will find 20 examples that aren't paid that are no different to the 5 that are.

Go_Dogs
24-06-2008, 01:12 PM

They may have brought it in with the best of intentions but it has been a complete ****up since day 1.

Every single game you will find 20 examples that aren't paid that are no different to the 5 that are.

Yup, and often it seems as though the hands in the back rule only applies to defenders, regardless of who takes front position.

Dare I say it, but do we need more umpires? :D

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Yup, and often it seems as though the hands in the back rule only applies to defenders, regardless of who takes front position.

Don't go there Griff

1eyedog
24-06-2008, 05:03 PM

He went there. I def think we need 2 more boundary umpires. A few times on the weekend in other matches the ball was clearly out yet not called because the boundary umpire was 20-25 metres away. I saw one in the Essendon vs Carlton game with Reimers that ended in an Essendon goal. Needless to say Blues supporters were furious. Quite simply the game is so fast now and considering that you can kick a ball a lot faster than a bloke can run it seems an extra 2 boundary umpires should be employed. At least they won't clog up the field of play.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 05:21 PM

I reluctantly have to agree. Hands in the back is a great rule on the odd occasion it's implemented consitantly early in the game. Then the players know not to push their luck and get on with actually competing for the ball.

It should be the easiest rule in the world to administer-if a players arms are in the air and reaching for the ball then he cant possibly have them in his opponents back. If they arent in the air then he is either using them to push his opponent illegally out of the contest or he is scratching his balls and thinking about what to do. In either case he deserves the kick to go against him.

bornadog
24-06-2008, 05:23 PM
He went there. I def think we need 2 more boundary umpires. A few times on the weekend in other matches the ball was clearly out yet not called because the boundary umpire was 20-25 metres away. I saw one in the Essendon vs Carlton game with Reimers that ended in an Essendon goal. Needless to say Blues supporters were furious. Quite simply the game is so fast now and considering that you can kick a ball a lot faster than a bloke can run it seems an extra 2 boundary umpires should be employed. At least they won't clog up the field of play.

Its already the most over policed sport in the world, no more umps please, in fact reduce the number on field back to two.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I reluctantly have to agree. Hands in the back is a great rule on the odd occasion it's implemented consitantly early in the game. Then the players know not to push their luck and get on with actually competing for the ball.

It should be the easiest rule in the world to administer-if a players arms are in the air and reaching for the ball then he cant possibly have them in his opponents back. If they arent in the air then he is either using them to push his opponent illegally out of the contest or he is scratching his balls and thinking about what to do. In either case he deserves the kick to go against him.

They've even started buggering up rules that weren't supposed to be affected.

How many time do you see players use their hip or forearms - supposedly allowed according to the AFL's propaganda speech pre-season - called for in-the-back?

That's right, about half.

Marking duels have become as farcical as the ruck rules.

wimberga
24-06-2008, 06:56 PM
got two pointswant queried here.

1st, there has been talk of aker being injured, but i wondered what others thought of Didak. There were rumours circulating he wouldnt play, but during the match he didnt seem to be himself. there was no real pace there and it certainly wasnt his normal game. That said, Morris did play a very good game on him.

the 2nd thing was, should the non-officiating umpires always have the right to call free kicks when the ball is not in there zone? 2 or 3 times on sunday there were stoppages in the middle where the officiating umpire was 5 metres away and didnt call anything, but one of the other umpires who was in the 50m arc and probably about 45 metres away would call a high tackle or holding the ball.

Mantis
24-06-2008, 07:04 PM

1st, there has been talk of aker being injured, but i wondered what others thought of Didak. There were rumours circulating he wouldnt play, but during the match he didnt seem to be himself. there was no real pace there and it certainly wasnt his normal game. That said, Morris did play a very good game on him.

I thought he gave them a lift when he was in the midfield. Was surprised by how hard he worked off the ball to create an option.

dog town
24-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Boyd did a number of super things as well, keeps on setting us up as well as negating opponents, and I think Eade was right to single him and Cross out.

. Boyd and Cross are sort of the heart beat of the team at the moment. They lead the way in alot of areas and are really putting their hands up for future captaincy honours.

Morris was as composed as I've seen him with the ball. Had a great moment where he feinted a hand-ball and then worked with the space that opened up for him. It seems like quite a few in the team are learning from Cooney's added composure this season and his ability to create space and size up his option. It's a dangerous thing to do, because you can open yourself up to being crunched and can get a bit too arrogant, but when balanced with normally using the first option, it can really help split the game open.

. I know the one your talking about. It created a goal for someone in the last quarter. Have not watched the game twice yet.

Eagle had some very good moments and some appalling ones. He played from behind as a forward a few times, and was pretty poor in some contested situations. His run is important but he'd want to do better, because Hill will be challenging for his spot sometime soon I reckon.

Ward's hands are so good in leading marking contests. From what we've seen, if the ball is put in front of him he'll mark it out in front. He might be dropped back for Hill, but I'd like to see used as a leading half-forward flanker, and maybe even a bit deeper in the forward fifty. When we're breaking down like we were across half-forward he looks like he could be another go-to small leading type. I dont like seeing Eagle playing as a forward. He ended up as a genuine forward a couple of times and I dont think it suits our set up. He is not a natural forward and really offers very little as either a crumber or marking player. His strength is his hard running and I think we should keep using him like that.

Ward looks to have really nice hands. They might as well give him a go now because we dont want to be experimenting later in the year. Personally I think its a huge ask for a kid his age and size to stay in the side up until the finals. Hope he can though. It looks like last years draft could be really big for us.

1eyedog
24-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Its already the most over policed sport in the world, no more umps please, in fact reduce the number on field back to two.

I don't see the problem with interrupting actual play here, all they will do is officiate on out of bounds calls, they won't interrupt play and they will barely be noticed if you ask me. They will make it fairer on close up out on the full decisions as well. Two boundary umpires cannot keep up with the pace of the game. Soccer is way more over officiated than Aussie Rules.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:02 PM
the 2nd thing was, should the non-officiating umpires always have the right to call free kicks when the ball is not in there zone? 2 or 3 times on sunday there were stoppages in the middle where the officiating umpire was 5 metres away and didnt call anything, but one of the other umpires who was in the 50m arc and probably about 45 metres away would call a high tackle or holding the ball.

I don't have a problem with that, particularly if the officiating umpire's vision is obscured.

Surely if we can see a free kick from 150 metres away in the crowd, then the non officiating umpire can from 45 metres.

Sockeye Salmon
25-06-2008, 12:23 AM

Didak did go in injured but Collingwood thought he could still play an important role. Morris always gets Didak (and always owns him) so Didak was selected basically so we wouldn't play Morris on Medhurst. Collingwood thought Medhurst was a chance of kicking goal on Hargrave especially if Hargrave gave up a few frees.

1eyedog
25-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Did anyone see? Adam Cooney's son made the first of many appearances on the Telstra Dome pitch against the Maggies. With Adam's 100th game as a Bulldog, he is now able to be taken under the father-son rule in 2025. Can't wait for that one:D

craigsahibee
25-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Did anyone see? Adam Cooney's son made the first of many appearances on the Telstra Dome pitch against the Maggies. With Adam's 100th game as a Bulldog, he is now able to be taken under the father-son rule in 2025. Can't wait for that one:D

From Row W on level 3 it looked like Cooney was carrying a footy out on to he ground.

BulldogBelle
25-06-2008, 07:19 PM
From Row W on level 3 it looked like Cooney was carrying a footy out on to he ground.

Your comment made me laugh. :D

I bet that little bundle of joy has given him a few sleepless nights, it was moving seeing the little bub in his arms and Sir Lake helping out and carrying Cooney's daughter.