PDA

View Full Version : Media, Performance and Expectations

Bulldog Revolution
22-06-2008, 11:14 PM
So this past week we've had an enormous amount of positive media talking about our potential to win the flag this year. They even ran a Callan Ward would be about the same age as Rodney Eade when Rocket was first a premiership player angle story.

And clearly whilst we beat the Pies we weren't as super convincing as we have been in previous weeks.

Did we get too far ahead of ourselves?

How does this performance temper our expectations moving forward?

lowedog
23-06-2008, 01:27 AM
I think we had a bad game, yet any positive media attention is good media attention. Lets be honest, we could go through the rest of the season without dropping a game, yet still wouldn't get the cudo's we deserve! Did anyone hear that muppet(SEN) Dermie tell all the bulldogs supporters not to get ahead of ourselves? This is a bloke who has probably loaded up on the hawks for rnd17 against the cats, when no one is going to give a rats, as the big game is going to be the one the week earlier! We should probably thank the media for pumping up the other teams(Carlton last week, Richmond after a couple of honourable losses) and leaving us to do our thing. Trust me, the other teams know all about us, and are gunning for us! And lets bring it on!

Scraggers
23-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Confidence is a wonderful thing ... to turn around a seven game losing streak (end of 2007) and be sitting 11 - 1 - 1 at the end of round 13 is a direct by-product of that confidence ...

But if we start reading the hype and believing we are better, or 'we should win due to the opposition's form / injuries / off-field dramas', then our bubble will burst ...

We need to do what we do best ... treat ALL opposition with due respect and play our brand of footy ... when we do that, we are a serious threat !!

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 09:17 AM
We are only one loss away from the media jumping off us. You can see it now, "Bulldogs game plan will not stand up in finals".

Rocket has said we are now aiming for top 4. We have reached our first goal which was to win enough games to make the eight, and now it's time to reassess our priorities and the top four it is. It's an old cliche "one week at a time" but it's fair enough to keep one eye on a top four finish and hopefully "home" finals.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 11:56 AM
It's all a business the media side of things when you are hot they jump on and when we are cold they are quick to dig the heels in.

Only a few weeks ago Caro made a trip out to the Club absolutely astounded with the ELC facilities she has jumped on the wagon big time.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not entirely sure what the media expect every game to be like... a dramatic, super impressive win?
We fought hard from behind and won- and thats what good teams do, they win.
Im not fussed what they're saying, but i AM sick of excuses for the oppotition.

Mantis
23-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I was pretty disappointed with our efforts shortly after yesterday's game, but in hindsight it was good to win when we didn't play well.

Which bring us to another point, is it too much to expect our team to be switched on every week? We are always hearing that we can't experct our players to be up for every game, that we will have flat periods. In reality these guys are professional atheletes earning a good living representing our club.

We were flat yesterday, our workrate wasn't good enough, we didn't run hard enough to create an option and our defensive pressure was poor, but we found a way to work our way through it.

The parts I didn't like were the finger pointing (pick up that guy over there as I can't be bothered) and the lack of respect our players gave there opponents, especially in the first half when players like Thomas, the Shaw's and Lockyer were given far too much latitude.

Let's hope that we can get back to playing the type of footy that has been the cause for our improvement this year over the coming weeks and months.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Good teams find a way to win even if they play badly. Though it was ungly o watch the encouraging thing is we won. You get judged on the scoreboard not proformance. Happy with the win on to next week.

Bulldog4life
23-06-2008, 09:04 PM
It's all a business the media side of things when you are hot they jump on and when we are cold they are quick to dig the heels in.

Only a few weeks ago Caro made a trip out to the Club absolutely astounded with the ELC facilities she has jumped on the wagon big time.

What makes you say that? I haven't seen any evidence of her praising our team, either through her newspaper column or on Footy Classified. She is conspicuous by her silence on Footy Classified when our Club is mentioned...which is hardly at all.

Tonight I'm sure we'll hear about Richmond & Norths great wins which should please Caro & Archer no end.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 10:16 PM
What makes you say that? I haven't seen any evidence of her praising our team, either through her newspaper column or on Footy Classified. She is conspicuous by her silence on Footy Classified when our Club is mentioned...which is hardly at all.

Tonight I'm sure we'll hear about Richmond & Norths great wins which should please Caro & Archer no end.

To be fair, she did write a very good story on us a couple of weeks ago. However, she constantly harps on about us not having a big marking full forward - and that no premiership team has ever won without one. Can anyone tell me who was West Coast's big full forward in their premiership team - I thought they had a fantastic midfield that could kick goals:rolleyes:

Bulldog4life
24-06-2008, 12:39 AM
To be fair, she did write a very good story on us a couple of weeks ago. However, she constantly harps on about us not having a big marking full forward - and that no premiership team has ever won without one. Can anyone tell me who was West Coast's big full forward in their premiership team - I thought they had a fantastic midfield that could kick goals:rolleyes:

Yes I forgot about that one to be honest.:)