PDA

View Full Version : Ins and Outs - Round 14 v Port Adelaide

bornadog
22-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Williams - Injured Shoulder today, depends how he pulls up.

Cal Ward - only three disposals, 3 tackles, not a good game for him. Do we drop him or give him another go?

Should Harbrow and Hill come in, they have played well at Willy, but who do you drop?

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Very difficult bornadog.
Wight or McDougall would be on standby for Williams and Hill would be my preference if we were to drop Ward.

We are starting to look a bit jaded so it might prompt another change or two. I wonder if Reid might be in the mix?

Scorlibo
22-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Ward could probably do with a confidence builder at Willi, Hill in for him.

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 11:39 PM
If Williams misses I'd almost be tempted to give Doogs a shot. He looked fairly solid for Willy yesterday and I think he could do a defensive job. That of course depends a bit on there being a matchup for him in Port's mostly smallish forward line. I know I'll probably get shouted down for that suggestion but I think it'd be a relatively low risk call that could pay off if we ge further injuries. We've seen what Wight gives us already and Doogs is the only other possibility to step up into a tall defender's role if we have a long term injury to a Lake or Williams (touch wood).

If Ward goes then I'd think Hill would get another shot, although Harbrow would be the only other option for a call up. I'm not sure one bad game after 2 good ones warrants dropping Ward yet though.

Now please feel free to point and laugh at me...

bornadog
Eade likes to take a few of the indigenous boys up to the NT, so It wouldn't surprise me to see Harbrow and Hill go at least for the trip.

Is Reid ready to take the next step?

LostDoggy
Williams was brave. You could see him grimace Judd like everytime he was on the screen. Hopefully he can get up for next week, and im sure he'll be feeling it tomorrow. I think his injury will be similar to Franklins. It cant get worse but its not worth operating on until seasons end.

Outs: Ward
Ins: Hill - Reports say BOG for WIlly so he deserves a spot in the team.

The Underdog
22-06-2008, 11:42 PM
We are starting to look a bit jaded so it might prompt another change or two. I wonder if Reid might be in the mix?

My only concerns would be a question on Reid's skills at this stage and that he might not physically be 100% after yesterday. He seemed to be pretty sore at 3/4 time and I'd hate to throw a young kid into the team for his first game with a sore body. His endeavour can't be questioned though.

How far away is Tim Callan? You'd think Ward would be the logical one to come out for him. Who else comes out for Westy when he's ready?

GVGjr
22-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Eade likes to take a few of the indigenous boys up to the NT, so It wouldn't surprise me to see Harbrow and Hill go at least for the trip.

Is Reid ready to take the next step?

One way to find out is to play him but if he was given a specific task it could work well.
I am reluctant to drop Ward but Hill will pressure a few of them in the side.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Hill for Ward at this stage.

Ward's played well up until today, and it'll be good for his progress and development to see what he's learned to go and play back in the VFL. Unlucky - but with only 3 possessions it's probably needed, especially as Hill really has earnt his spot with some great performances since being dropped.

Is Eagleton in any danger now, or when Westy comes back? He did some nice things but there's a hell of a lot he doesn't do. He doesn't seem to work hard enough and is very tentative at times to go in and get the footy. He hasn't played poorly but he could be doing so much more.

Thoughts on that one?

LostDoggy
22-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Eagleton had a better 2nd half. You can blame him on Ward being quiet. Basically got in the head with friendly fire.

1eyedog
23-06-2008, 12:43 AM
If Williams misses I'd almost be tempted to give Doogs a shot. He looked fairly solid for Willy yesterday and I think he could do a defensive job. That of course depends a bit on there being a matchup for him in Port's mostly smallish forward line. I know I'll probably get shouted down for that suggestion but I think it'd be a relatively low risk call that could pay off if we ge further injuries. We've seen what Wight gives us already and Doogs is the only other possibility to step up into a tall defender's role if we have a long term injury to a Lake or Williams (touch wood).

If Ward goes then I'd think Hill would get another shot, although Harbrow would be the only other option for a call up. I'm not sure one bad game after 2 good ones warrants dropping Ward yet though.

Now please feel free to point and laugh at me...

If Williams is not fit to play bring Doogs in x2

Go_Dogs
23-06-2008, 09:28 AM
What was the extent of Williams injury? I missed it at the time.

I feel it would be a good opportunity for some of the kids to come in. Believe Port will be a fairly re-shaped and unpredictable side next week, with perhaps a few guys coming in and playing for a spot on the list for next year.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Williams got smashed into the turf. In the end, it should have been a free. Looked like a shoulder problem. Everitt covered for him well enough anyway. He came back on and did well so I expect him to play.
Worst case I'd rather Wight than Doogs.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 09:54 AM
What was the extent of Williams injury? I missed it at the time.

I feel it would be a good opportunity for some of the kids to come in. Believe Port will be a fairly re-shaped and unpredictable side next week, with perhaps a few guys coming in and playing for a spot on the list for next year.

Apparently did a shoulder and was in alot of pain. Came back on and played on smaller opponents so that he didn't have to reach up too much. He will be assesed today.

Mark Williams has been quoted as saying forget the finals he is now building for next year and will play more kids. I don't really believe him , its part of the psychology he uses. Having said that, they have been pretty bad this year only winning 4 games, so we should really give them a belting.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 09:57 AM
We got beaten by Port in Darwin 2 years back when they had nothing to play for.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Yes, I was there for that one, very dissapointing. We can't take any team for granted as they are all capable of winning on their day.

Sedat
23-06-2008, 10:09 AM
We are 2 for 4 in Darwin, with both losses coming against Port. We have always had trouble with Port since their inception. Not sure if Choco is using bluff this time - they really do look shot to pieces. We will know at the selection table on Thursday if the likes of Chad Cornes are booked into surgery.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 10:11 AM
We are 2 for 4 in Darwin, with both losses coming against Port. We have always had trouble with Port since their inception. Not sure if Choco is using bluff this time - they really do look shot to pieces. We will know at the selection table on Thursday if the likes of Chad Cornes are booked into surgery.

Why do we keep having to play Port up there?

Sedat
23-06-2008, 10:13 AM
I'd rather play Port and Freo up there and collect the $400k because we would be lucky to draw 20k against either side at the Dome.

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 10:17 AM

Purely economics. If we played them here we would have to wear a significant loss. I am assuming we request this fixture, similar to Fremantle last year to be played in Darwin. Makes sense to be paid by the NT Government rather than wear the loss, although wouldn't it be nice to be in a position where we didn't have to sell any games.

Go_Dogs
23-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Purely economics. If we played them here we would have to wear a significant loss. I am assuming we request this fixture, similar to Fremantle last year to be played in Darwin. Makes sense to be paid by the NT Government rather than wear the loss, although wouldn't it be nice to be in a position where we didn't have to sell any games.

Port also has a bit of a connection to the area with their number of Aboriginal players and tend to like to play up there too. I think it's a good fixture for the top end w/o doubt.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I'd rather play Port and Freo up there and collect the $400k because we would be lucky to draw 20k against either side at the Dome.

Good point, $$$$$ :D

The Pie Man
23-06-2008, 06:50 PM
Williams got smashed into the turf. In the end, it should have been a free. Looked like a shoulder problem. Everitt covered for him well enough anyway. He came back on and did well so I expect him to play.
Worst case I'd rather Wight than Doogs.

I take it we've given up on McDougall playing as a forward - or are we furthering his football education down back?

I always thought Kinglsey Hunter could hold down full forward (well actually, I wasn't that confident) but we tried to mould him into a CHB with little success....why do we trade for young forwards and f%$& their career by playing them out of position? He's a big unit, he should be in the forward 50.

If Williams is out, Wight would likely get in as he was in the best for Willy, though McDougall has a body ready for senior footy - I doubt Cam ever will (I think I accidentally upset someone from his family at Willy against Frankston - he got the ball in the 3rd quarter and I said to myself 'Cam Wight, do something' and this guy sitting next to me goes 'yeah it'd be the first thing he'dve done all day, he jumps at his own shadow normally' I chuckled and continued watching - Cam gets an out on the full free a minute later, and this old lady sitting near us yells in our dierction 'are you happy now, he's DONE SOMETHING'

Sorry Mrs Wight (I presume) He could be anything, hope he gets there, just doubt he will.