PDA

View Full Version : Ben Cousins - Should we draft him

bornadog
23-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Listening to SEN today Mark Robertson suggested he would be a great fit for the dogs.

If you were assured he is well and truly over his off field misdemeanours, do you think he would be a good recruit? He probably has a couple fo years footy left in him.

Mofra
23-06-2008, 02:58 PM
He is an absolute gun, but we may not want to sacrifice a young spot on the list knowing the 17th & 18th teams will be coming into the comp and starting to further dilute the talent pool

We have topped up well in teh last 2 years but perhaps we have topped up enough

craigsahibee
23-06-2008, 03:02 PM
We need to capitalise on the next draft. The current crop of midfielders will still be A graders in 4 - 5 years so we need to look at who'll takeover from these guys.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I heard Robbo as well.

Maybe once upon a time but 2 years out of the game is an eternity. Has anyone successfully come back after 2 years in the Modern Era?.

cheers,

Jaxs :cool:

bulldogtragic
23-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Only if:

If passes fitness and psych tests. Club beleives he is over it.

Then he nominates us AND ONLY US and we use a late pick os PSD pick.

Unlikely.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2008, 04:46 PM
He'd slot into our midfield beautifully, but I think it just hurts the team balance in terms of the future a little too much. We've done well over the last two years to pick up experienced decent players for very little (Aker, Hudson, Callan & Welsh) and I think it might be over doing it a little if we were to chase Cousins.

The club would probably look into it and identify the pros/cons and how much Cousins is going to cost, but you'd expect a club like Collingwood to take a bigger risk on him than we would. He's a great player, but I think we need to develop the kids as these next 3 years are vital due to the two extra teams coming in.

Crizza
23-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I hope he plays footy again at the highest level and wouldn't mind if he happened to land at the Dogs.

2 years out of football is tough to ignore though - especially in todays footy that seems to have developed at a rapid pace.

If Westy retires at the end of this year, i would chase harder from him, than if we had Westy. In terms of balancing experience and youth.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 05:23 PM
No. It will be a while before he is 'cured'.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 06:12 PM

Any info?

BulldogBelle
23-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Upside: Might be cheap. Proven player. One year deal. Could make big difference. Cream on the cake in the midfield rotations. Proven finals experience.
Downside: Upset team harmony? Young kids one rung further down the selection ladder. Is he 'well' enough to not relapse? Ages the list which has a few at the twilight end.

DOG GOD
23-06-2008, 06:35 PM

ABSOLUTELY!!!! dont want THAT type at the dogs. EVER!!!

1eyedog
23-06-2008, 07:25 PM
It depends on what we are prepared to do to win a flag.

Bulldog4life
23-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I would have thought that by now he should have at least attempted to play in a lower grade of football if his health allowed him to. If only to increase his chances of playing in the AFL next year by impressing with his form & lifestyle.

Twodogs
23-06-2008, 09:59 PM

You're never 'cured' of an addiction. You can sort out the problem that causes it, you can go the rest of your life without using, but you'll always be an addict.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 10:15 PM
We would only be wasting part of the salary cap on him if we did take him. I do not want to see our club being associated someone like him, I have always hated him and always will hate him. It may sound stupid, but if we do take Ben Cousins then there is no way that I will be renewing my membership next year

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 11:02 PM
You're never 'cured' of an addiction. You can sort out the problem that causes it, you can go the rest of your life without using, but you'll always be an addict.

I agree.
Its the problem I'm talking talking about. He needs a complete turn around in his life and touch of humility. I don't think thats happened.
The way they are saying 12 month out, then he is right. I don't think its that simple.

GetDimmaBack
24-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Apart from the personal issues, will he definitely regain his old form at 31 or 32?
That's also a big risk!