PDA

View Full Version : Turn SEN off when Thomas comes on

Ipaidmy200in89
23-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I am sick of this guy bagging us. Turn SEN off when Thomas is on!!!!

Please join the fight against the ignorant one!!

Mantis
23-06-2008, 05:21 PM
No.

I quite like him.

The Coon Dog
23-06-2008, 05:31 PM
It's well known he doesn't rate us. Not sure he has worked out yet that we are not the same Western Bulldogs he constantly thinks are 'mentally fragile' Gee, he's a stubborn bugger isn't he? Just won't admit he's wrong.

He has a different way of looking at things to others which does make him interesting. I don't like him, but won't let him spoil SEN for me.

Mantis
23-06-2008, 05:42 PM
He was on this morning explaining his comments.

He said that we were a mentally weak in the team in the past (which is partly correct), but made mention that this is an area of huge improvement in our team and of our players. Also made mention that our contested work had really improved this year and that we are one of the main challenges to Geelong for the flag.

I really can't see what's wrong with those comments.

aker39
23-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Did he expalin what he meant by his comments that the bulldogs would become more vulnerable as the year goes on.

Mantis I know you have defended his comments in the past, and rightly so at times, but why would bulldog supporters want to listen to someone that says he hates our club.

If someone says that they hate you, then they can't comment in an unbiased manner.

bornadog
23-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Did he expalin what he meant by his comments that the bulldogs would become more vulnerable as the year goes on.

Mantis I know you have defended his comments in the past, and rightly so at times, but why would bulldog supporters want to listen to someone that says he hates our club.

If someone says that they hate you, then they can't comment in an unbiased manner.

I agree, can't stand Thomas. Couldn't coach for peanuts and now he thinks he is the world expert in special comments.

The Pie Man
23-06-2008, 06:40 PM

I don't listen to SEN so I don't know, but did he really say he hates us?

I'd be amazed a media person (even though I don't doubt he does feel that way) would admit that on air.

hujsh
23-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Apart from when he talks about the Dogs i have no problem with Thomas apart from being a bit negative

GVGjr
23-06-2008, 06:55 PM
He was on this morning explaining his comments.

He said that we were a mentally weak in the team in the past (which is partly correct), but made mention that this is an area of huge improvement in our team and of our players. Also made mention that our contested work had really improved this year and that we are one of the main challenges to Geelong for the flag.

I really can't see what's wrong with those comments.

Agreed. I have a bit of time for him. He didn't rate us because his team regularly beat us which is understandable. The only thing left for him to do is acknowledge that we are a very different team from when he was coaching.

dog town
23-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I dont agree with much of what he says but as a special comments man he is a breath of fresh air. Insightful and brutally honest which makes him well worth listening to.

Twodogs
23-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I dont mind Thomas. He smacked Robert Walls with one of the greatest sledges I ever heard a couple of saturdays ago on Crunchtime.

Did he give reasons why he thinks that? It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. My opinion is different and I can give you several reasons and examples to back my case.

Any way isnt it mentally fragile to get worked up about what someone says about us? If Thomas is silly enough or complacent enough to assume because we were mentally fragile, and I wouldnt argue that we werent, then that's his problem. Hopefully it's a misconception that 15 senior AFL coaches share with him.

As an aside I'm curious to know what his opinion on how mentally tough Nick Riewoldt is? Actually someone ring in and ask him about the whole St Kilda list.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 08:50 PM
I suppose we were his bitch for many years so he only has that view of us.

I thought he was spot on with his assessment of us over the summer but his lack of acknowledgement about our current performance has made him a dill in my eyes.

Can't wait to stick it up him.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Thomas was probably the worst coaching appointment of modern times, Rhode and Lyon notwithstanding. Any other coach worth his salt would have developed a hell of a team from the number of first round picks he had, but the fact that he didn't even develop a decent team says a lot about his coaching ability. Just looking at the debacle that is St Kilda now is a testament to the job he did. And because of his insistence on doing everything -- scouting, etc etc -- himself, he has no one to blame. No one.

He didn't need ruckmen either. Everytime he opens his mouth to give tactical insight I have to stop myself from giggling. This guy learnt his coaching from clever or controversial cliches he got out of a book or off tv.

The fact that he has not stopped being embroiled in lawsuits since he's left says a lot about the way he conducts his personal affairs as well.

Bulldog Revolution
23-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I dont mind Thomas. He smacked Robert Walls with one of the greatest sledges I ever heard a couple of saturdays ago on Crunchtime.

As an aside I'm curious to know what his opinion on how mentally tough Nick Riewoldt is? Actually someone ring in and ask him about the whole St Kilda list.

What was the sledge TD?

I dont hate Thomas, I think he definitely has something to offer a club, but he is a sanctimonious character

And it could be argued that he coached the most brittle mental club in the history of the competition

Twodogs
23-06-2008, 10:04 PM
What was the sledge TD?

I dont hate Thomas, I think he definitely has something to offer a club, but he is a sanctimonious character

And it could be argued that he coached the most brittle mental club in the history of the competition

"He's coached two clubs that no longer exist. Having played under him at one of them, it's not something that suprises me" That's not word for word but it's the gist of it.

LostDoggy
23-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have been turning off the radio whenever he comes on, since I first heard him.

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I have been turning off the radio whenever he comes on, since I first heard him.

I turn SEN off whenever Thomas is on, or they start talking about horse racing, basketball, tennis and boxing.

Do you reckon someone could pull Grant Thomas aside and let him know that he no longer is coach at St Kilda. I am certain he still turns up to Moorabbin on training days with a his tracksuit, a clipboard and his own set of witches hats and pretends he is in control. He would be the coaching version of that guy that used to dress as Mark Harvey at the old Army Reserve Cup games at the Lake Oval on a Sunday Afternoon.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I turn SEN off whenever Thomas is on, or they start talking about horse racing, basketball, tennis and boxing.

Basketball, tennis and bloody KB and his obsession with golf have me reaching for the switch.

Cant stand the first two at the best of times, but I usually like golf. However KB and golf just brings out the worst in me for some reason. Rohan Dummet ( Australia's 51st best golf coach or something) has to be the least interesting person ever to be allowed on radio. I dont whether he's got one of KB's kids held hostage or something but puhlease! Then there's Mark Allen and his regular spot on monday mornings. I like Allen and when there's actually an interesting tournament to talk about he's great, but Kenny Spenny the third winning the Timbuktu invitational doesnt warrant a 45 minute spot.

hujsh
24-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Thomas was probably the worst coaching appointment of modern times, Rhode and Lyon notwithstanding. Any other coach worth his salt would have developed a hell of a team from the number of first round picks he had, but the fact that he didn't even develop a decent team says a lot about his coaching ability. Just looking at the debacle that is St Kilda now is a testament to the job he did. And because of his insistence on doing everything -- scouting, etc etc -- himself, he has no one to blame. No one.

He didn't need ruckmen either. Everytime he opens his mouth to give tactical insight I have to stop myself from giggling. This guy learnt his coaching from clever or controversial cliches he got out of a book or off tv.

The fact that he has not stopped being embroiled in lawsuits since he's left says a lot about the way he conducts his personal affairs as well.

He did develop a good team. A team that was 1 kick from beating Port and facing a depleted Brisbane in their home city.

The fact that they're crap now tells me Lyon can't coach as they made the top 8 3 years in a row and top 4 twice while Thomas was in charge.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 05:45 PM
He did develop a good team. A team that was 1 kick from beating Port and facing a depleted Brisbane in their home city.

The fact that they're crap now tells me Lyon can't coach as they made the top 8 3 years in a row and top 4 twice while Thomas was in charge.

How St. Kilda failed to evem make a grand final with the side they had under Thomas would be one of football's great mysteries - except that the answer was obvious - Thomas couldn't coach.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Basketball, tennis and bloody KB and his obsession with golf have me reaching for the switch.

Cant stand the first two at the best of times, but I usually like golf. However KB and golf just brings out the worst in me for some reason. Rohan Dummet ( Australia's 51st best golf coach or something) has to be the least interesting person ever to be allowed on radio. I dont whether he's got one of KB's kids held hostage or something but puhlease! Then there's Mark Allen and his regular spot on monday mornings. I like Allen and when there's actually an interesting tournament to talk about he's great, but Kenny Spenny the third winning the Timbuktu invitational doesnt warrant a 45 minute spot.

Oh and more thing SEN. If I wanted to hear Alan Jones voice I'd move to Sydney and listen to his show or hang around the Paddo public lavatories at night time. Couldnt you have found someone else to do your olympic spots?

hujsh
24-06-2008, 05:57 PM
How St. Kilda failed to evem make a grand final with the side they had under Thomas would be one of football's great mysteries - except that the answer was obvious - Thomas couldn't coach.

Maybe, but i think he's better than Lyon

Sedat
24-06-2008, 05:58 PM

What he had in spades was the players walking over hot coals for him. When you have that, you are halfway there. But he really didn't make the most of the list he developed, for a couple of key reasons: he paid no attention to the science of injury recovery (training services :rolleyes:), and he paid no respect to the pivotal role of the ruck work at stoppages. In hindsight, St Kilda's drafting history during the Thomas years was appalling, and after his first year in charge (when, to his credit, he did pin his faith in youth), he repeatedly went the quick fix recycled option with very little success. His record was a bit like Wallace in that it progressively regressed from 2004 until he was sacked. Really, St Kilda should have challenged hard for a premiership between 2004-2008, such is the quality of their core. But Thomas did not adequately address structural weaknesses (midfield pace, key defensive posts, tap ruckmen) during his tenure, which slowly eroded the quality of the list over time.

Lyon took on a tough job that involved a stagnating list, and precious little quality youth in the 25-75 game bracket - that was a direct legacy of Thomas and his recruiters. Lyon has done himself no favours also going the cheap fix with the likes of Gardiner x 2, King, Dempster and Schneider, and his game plan is clearly not suited to the attacking personnel on the Saints' list. It would have been like Rocket going a purely defensive game plan when he took over the Dogs in 2005.

It is clear that Thomas despises Eade because of Eade's media reputation as a coaching svengali and Thomas' as a tactical retard. So when his clearly more talented teams would toy with ours, he would develop a very smug exterior, and fair enough too. That is why he has so little love for the side that is coached by Eade.

Really, he does not have to respect us, let alone love us - I actually prefer him not to do so. But if we do happen to win a premiership, rest assured it will cut him to the quick.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 06:22 PM
What he had in spades was the players walking over hot coals for him. When you have that, you are halfway there. But he really didn't make the most of the list he developed, for a couple of key reasons: he paid no attention to the science of injury recovery (training services :rolleyes:), and he paid no respect to the pivotal role of the ruck work at stoppages. In hindsight, St Kilda's drafting history during the Thomas years was appalling, and after his first year in charge (when, to his credit, he did pin his faith in youth), he repeatedly went the quick fix recycled option with very little success. His record was a bit like Wallace in that it progressively regressed from 2004 until he was sacked. Really, St Kilda should have challenged hard for a premiership between 2004-2008, such is the quality of their core. But Thomas did not adequately address structural weaknesses (midfield pace, key defensive posts, tap ruckmen) during his tenure, which slowly eroded the quality of the list over time.

Lyon took on a tough job that involved a stagnating list, and precious little quality youth in the 25-75 game bracket - that was a direct legacy of Thomas and his recruiters. Lyon has done himself no favours also going the cheap fix with the likes of Gardiner x 2, King, Dempster and Schneider, and his game plan is clearly not suited to the attacking personnel on the Saints' list. It would have been like Rocket going a purely defensive game plan when he took over the Dogs in 2005.

It is clear that Thomas despises Eade because of Eade's media reputation as a coaching svengali and Thomas' as a tactical retard. So when his clearly more talented teams would toy with ours, he would develop a very smug exterior, and fair enough too. That is why he has so little love for the side that is coached by Eade.

Really, he does not have to respect us, let alone love us - I actually prefer him not to do so. But if we do happen to win a premiership, rest assured it will cut him to the quick.

Interesting.

Rocket has no respect for Thomas, either.

He said Thomas would never have coached a winning side against Rocket except that Rocket had no way of stopping Thomas' weapons - meaning big forwards. Rocket was pretty sure he could always outcoach him, he just needed the cattle to let him have a shot at it.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Maybe, but i think he's better than Lyon

And Caroline Wilson is better looking that Aranxa Sanchez-Vichario - so what? I don't want to shag either of them.

hujsh
24-06-2008, 06:52 PM
And Caroline Wilson is better looking that Aranxa Sanchez-Vichario - so what? I don't want to shag either of them.

Don't you like braces?;)

dog town
24-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Brilliant summation of Thomas as a coach and his current attitude towards Eade. Still think he is worth listening to though. All recent coaches are actually.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Exactly. A blind donkey could have coached that side -- half the team were made up of top 5 picks. They should have been able to coach themselves to a premiership, but Thomas's great little theories actually meant most of those players went backwards. Some of them are unrecognisable from their draft day selves -- confident, hard, skillful players turning into second-guessing, slow, soft, clueless hacks.

The Pie Man
24-06-2008, 08:56 PM

That really is gold

And so is this :D