View Full Version : Round 14 match preview Bulldogs V Port Power

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Last Time Out

Round 8, 2007
Western Bulldogs 20.13-133
Port Adelaide 17.11-113

Attendance: Attendance: 22691 at TD.

Leading Goalkickers B. Johnson 5, J. Akermanis 3, M. Robbins 3.

Brownlow Votes M. Boyd 3 D. Cassisi 2 C. Cornes 1

After a slow first half the Bulldogs broke the shackles to kick 14 goals to 9 in the second half to have a seemingly comfortable 20 point win. It was the Bulldogs more accurate conversion rate after half time, 77.5% to 60% that masked the rouble they had shaking off Port. As was the case a year ago Johnson kicked 5 and was the main man to go to with support form Robbins and Akermanis. Boyd, Cooney, Harris and Darcy were the best for The Bulldogs while Cassisi, Chad Cornes and The Burgoyne boys had plenty of it for The Power.

Form
What can you say about the Bulldogs form this year? It’s been either excellent or ordinary while still finding a way to win. Port have been all over the shop with some good wins and some confusing losses against sides they were expected to perform well against. It’s significant that Mark Williams virtually wrote 2008 off in his presser after the weekends game. Not that I doubt Choco’s word but his actions at the selection table on Thursday will tell us how serious he was. The Bulldogs are full steam ahead and wont want to drop this one-especially in front of their Darwin Diaspora.
Notable absentees

Williams hurt a shoulder V Collingwood and while it was feared it might have been a dislocation at first he returned to the field until late in the last quarter. When he left the field the last time he was having trouble lifting his left arm but didn’t seem in significant trouble-I expect him to play. Aker seems to be troubled by a groin/upper leg problem which is limiting his mobility. Other than that it’s the usual suspects missing-West and Higgins

Chad Cornes has some ligament damage to his knee and problems with his finger, calf and other knee but is expected to play. Salopek (archilles) and Peter Burgoyne (hamsring) are expected to miss and Matt Thomas is suspensded. Williams has indicated that a few young players will come into the lineup to see wheteher they are up to AFL standard.

Up forward

Our forward line has many options and it’s difficult to see where Port have the defensive options to cover them all.

In the Midfield

Hudson and Minson will have Brogan and Lade basically fighting for their career. Expect it to be their most searching physical examination for some time. Peter Burgoyne missing is a huge blow to Port although with Cassisi on board who always performs well against us we’ll need to pay them plenty of respect.

Down Back

In the past Port’s tall and small forwards have bothered us but with the inclusion of Williams and the release of Hargrave and Morris to stand players more their size this should be less of a problem. Harris/Tredrea should be a great match up, while Morris gets Rodan and Hargrave Burgoyne.
The X-Factor
Dominic Cassisi. Hard working midfileder in good form. We’ve not given him the respect he deserves in the past and if we make the same mistake again we’ll pay the penatly. Maybe Matty Boyd couldrun with him with Nathan Eagleton as a back up.

The verdict

Simply speaking we cant afford to slip up. We must win this one if we are to be a serious contender. This is the sort of game that in the past we’d typically drop after a run of good form-in front of a national audience, slipped a bit in form last week and against a side that all but written the year off. This time around I’m very confident we will win

Dogs by 35.

G-Mo77
24-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I did read somewhere that Cornes was expected to miss 2 - 3 weeks.

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Popped his calf last week. I would be very suprised if he made the trip north.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 04:35 PM

i was relying on this;

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=62044

Weird thing for Williams to say if they've put the cue in the rack but Choco is, well, a weirdo.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Traditionally Port's strength has been their speed. Very handy in Darwin where it's humid & the ball slips about all over the place.

I'm not so sure they are as nippy this season as they have been previously.

Not a game to be taken for granted.

bornadog
24-06-2008, 05:28 PM
A must win up there. I was there two years ago and Port were not fancied at all and they came out and beat us.

Really, on form we should give them a great big belting and really stick the boot in.

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Morris to Motlop. He's the only Port guy who seemingly can kick a goal. The Glove will do the business as usual and Port might not score at all.

Go_Dogs
24-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Good call on Cassisi for the X-Factor, been a good player over the past few years, and perhaps along with Rodan, one of few blokes actually pulling his weight in the midfield at the moment.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:07 PM
If Tom Williams is injured, who replaces him? Can't recall the Port forward set up off hand, but they did drop Westhoff for the Richmond game, so they may only have Tredrea as the forward tall. I would assume Lake takes him. Maybe then Tiller comes in as he can play on a medium forward or go forward himself.

Mantis
24-06-2008, 08:09 PM
The long range forecast is for a hot & humid night.

With Williams a definite out (so says the injury update) is there a need to replace him with a tall especially with Port having a fairly small forward line? I would like to see Harbrow given an opportunity, his ball handling in Darwin in the past has been pretty good and he adds another runner to the mix.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Dom Cassisi the X FACTOR??? Not sure about that. Dont think Rocket Eade will lose any sleep over Cassisi. And Boyd to run with him and Eagleton to be a back up. Wow.. he must of gained 5 yards of pace and added 15m to his kicks since i last saw him play. He is just a good AFL player who should be shown the same respect as the other 21 Port players. The reason why he wasnt given respect in the past is because we had the most unaccountable midfield in the comp.

craigsahibee
24-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Don't really see enough of Port to make a judgement here. They have always been one of those sides that I find boring and unwatchable.

As TCD mentioned in another thread Tiller may come in for Tommy as Port don't have a tall down forward other than Tredrea. Lade is capable as a forward and Brogan has been known to go forward also when not on the ball. The may try and stretch us in that regard so we may have to include Doogs or Cam Wight in the 25 as a precaution.

If we can stop the supply into their F50 Tredrea may work up the ground. His possesions outside of the F50 wont hurt us. One of the mobile defenders can run with him while Lake can float across half back.

Kane Cornes will be confused without Westy to hang on to.

Expected forecast 31. Take your shorts, thongs and stubby holders.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Dom Cassisi the X FACTOR??? Not sure about that. Dont think Rocket Eade will lose any sleep over Cassisi. And Boyd to run with him and Eagleton to be a back up. Wow.. he must of gained 5 yards of pace and added 15m to his kicks since i last saw him play. He is just a good AFL player who should be shown the same respect as the other 21 Port players. The reason why he wasnt given respect in the past is because we had the most unaccountable midfield in the comp.

Who would it be for you Jerry?

Mofra
24-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Kane Cornes will be confused without Westy to hang on to.

He'd be running pretty close with Cooney all night I'd think.

hujsh
24-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Just got thinking how unlucky Stack is to be under an injury cloud. Would almost be odds on to replace Williams for a match.

Need a defender, good matchups for him with mostly small forwards, in Darwin. The stars were almost aligned.

Then would likely be dropped after the bye.

dog town
25-06-2008, 06:30 PM
He'd be running pretty close with Cooney all night I'd think.
It is a little bit off topic but I dont think people in Victoria realise just how good Kane Cornes is. Gets his 25-30 touches every week but keeps his opponent to half that. Very few players in the league can do that. Will be a good test for Cooney or whoever Cornes goes to.

bornadog
26-06-2008, 12:21 AM
It is a little bit off topic but I dont think people in Victoria realise just how good Kane Cornes is. Gets his 25-30 touches every week but keeps his opponent to half that. Very few players in the league can do that. Will be a good test for Cooney or whoever Cornes goes to.

Kane Cornes is highly rated and very dangerous. He is the x factor at Port.

The Coon Dog
26-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Brendon Lade likely to be dropped for Round 14 clash

PORT Adelaide is on the verge of axing veteran ruckman Brendon Lade.

Just half a season after the 31-year-old was awarded his second All-Australian guernsey, Lade is almost certain to be sent to the SANFL to make way for Fabian Deluca.

And fellow veteran Michael Wilson is also treading a fine line, as Port seeks to unearth the true depth of its list.

"The older blokes probably feel threatened," Port forward Daniel Motlop admitted yesterday.

"We've got a few younger blokes coming in, which is exciting for the team, which will make it exciting this week.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen with them (older players). We've got a lot of young boys playing real good footy in the SANFL, like Damon White and Adam Thomson."

It is understood South Adelaide product Lade could spend as many as three weeks with the Panthers while Port puts 203cm Deluca to the test.

Power coach Mark Williams - after conceding his team cannot play finals - forecast changes on Monday, mentioning Deluca as a likely inclusion.

And with the 21-year-old coming off his best game in the SANFL on Saturday, with 14 disposals, seven marks and 26 hitouts, Port feels Deluca is ready to tackle the Western Bulldogs in Darwin on Saturday night.

"He's another one, who has been sitting in line with Broges (Dean Brogan) and Ladey there," said Motlop of Deluca, who has played only six games in four years.

"Hopefully he can come in and play really well."

Just how many of Port's opportunity-starved youngsters get a chance could also hinge on the fitness of game-breaker Chad Cornes, who is struggling to shrug a calf injury.

The Power superstar, who has also been plagued by knee and finger ailments this year, walked just one lap as his teammates trained at Alberton yesterday.

One thing that is certain is Port's need to make three changes, with Matt Thomas suspended for a week and Steven Salopek (Achilles) and Peter Burgoyne (hamstring) to miss the next fortnight.

Salopek, who had been enjoying a career-best season, will be sorely missed by the Power.

"Obviously I enjoy his presence, he kicks it in to me and he has one of the best disposals in the league," said Motlop of Salopek.

"It's going to hurt us a little bit, but we've got other blokes who can come in and do the job."

Port Adelaide insists it will not be ambushed by a hard-running, well-prepared Western Bulldogs outfit amid the heat and humidity in Darwin.

While the Bulldogs have spent the past month acclimatising in heat chambers, Port only stepped up its preparation yesterday, with players having icebaths before and after training.

Rodney Eade's men also arrive in the Northern Territory this morning - about 24 hours before the Power - giving them more time to adjust to the steep change in conditions.

The top temperature forecast for Darwin on Saturday is 32C, but it is the minimum of 19C that would concern both playing groups.

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Morris to Motlop. He's the only Port guy who seemingly can kick a goal. The Glove will do the business as usual and Port might not score at all.

Funny I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Good write-up TD. Do we know what the broadcast schedule is for this game?

Go_Dogs
26-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Melbourne viewers the game is on Fox.

Adelaide viewers will have on FTA live. Thank you Power.

http://afl.com.au/Fixture/BroadcastGuide/tabid/9451/default.aspx

Is the guide for those who want to check it out.

Scraggers
26-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Good write-up TD. Do we know what the broadcast schedule is for this game?

AFL

W Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
5.30pm – 8.30pm FOX Sports 1
Saturday 28 June 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only game in Darwin for the year pits the 2nd placed Bulldogs against a wounded Port Power. Mark Williams' team has been hit hard by injuries to key personnel but don't expect the Dogs to show them any mercy on a hot Darwin night.

bornadog
26-06-2008, 01:44 PM
AFL

W Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
5.30pm – 8.30pm FOX Sports 1
Saturday 28 June 2008 .

Thats Perth time.

In Melbourne its on at 7.30pm, FOX Sports 501

Scraggers
26-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Thats Perth time.

Oops ... Sorry, my bad :o:o:o:o

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys. :)

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 05:08 PM
If you are in Geelong you are welcome to come along to Buckleys Entertainment Centre to watch with the Barwon Bulldogs. We have the use of the Conference Room to watch the foxtel game. Meals and drinks can be purchased during the evening. Come along and barrack with fellow Western Bulldog supporters.
Go Doggies!

Twodogs
26-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Sounds like a great place to watch the game Mo.

hujsh
26-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Thats Perth time.

I was worried I'd have to tape before the game:eek: