Games:
2008: 13
Career: 89

Goals:
2008: 39
Career: 142

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/1151/2008motlopdaniellrgvq4.th.jpg

Bio:

Despite two injuries that saw him miss seven games, Motlop still made 2007 the best of his career, kicking 44 goals at an average of almost two-and-a-half per game. Has added reliability and consistency to his repertoire while still able to do the spectacular. Won the club’s One Percenter Award in 2007 for applying pressure to defenders.

My rant:

In thinking which player to preview this week I was left with few choices into which of there more important players would be actually taking the field. Do I pick ‘the Chad’ who is struggling with numerous injuries or so where told or perhaps Brendon Lade who when fit is a premier ruckman, but he too is battling with his body.

In the end I decided to go with the mercurial Daniel Motlop, who over the last couple of years has grown to be Port’s best and most dangerous forward. After starting his career at North Melbourne as a talented, but erratic half forward Daniel has matured into a consistent performer at Port. His mercurial talent’s mean that he has to be carefully watched as he needs little room and time to cause the opposition headache’s.

Daniel is known for his freakish talents which allow him to kick some remarkable goals, but equally for his miss after the siren back in 2006 which would have given Port a win against St.Kilda in Launceston.

So what can we expect from him this week? Well his form has been pretty strong recently, he kicked 6 in his latest game versus Richmond and if not for the heroics of Joel Bowden (I just spewed on my keyboard) he may well have had the chance to kick the winning goal. Looking closer at his statistics this season it can be found that Daniel wastes little of his possessions and is an extremely efficient player. It could be said that he is lazy in terms of his work ethic, but once the ball lands in his area he is cat like in his approach. A player who need’s a very diligent defender as his marker as he can change a game in just a short period.

Possible Match Up’s:

I would have thought that our 2 most suited player’s for this job would also be our 2 best performed defender’s in recent weeks, Dale Morris and Ryan Hargrave. I think Morris will get the first opportunity, he has long been our best performed mid sized defender. My only worry could be Motlop’s ‘freakish skills’ which may catch Dale out, but Dale very rarely has his colours lowered. Hargrave provides cover if the original match-up goes awry.

There has been a heavy reliance on Motlop to kick multiple goals for Port this year so we may see a few of our players zoning off there direct opponent to give Motlop’s opponent a hand. Ebert and Tredrea will need respecting, but neither are in career best form.

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Good choice Mantis.

He's very enigmatic & like Brett Burton, if he decides to turn it on, really he's bloody hard to negate. Doesn't do the conventional either which makes him doubly hard to match up on.

You're right, Morris is the man for the job.

GVGjr
24-06-2008, 06:33 PM
You never know which weeks or even quarters this guy is going to turn it on but when he does he wins games.
I agree that Morris is the man for the job this week.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 02:45 PM
You never know which weeks or even quarters this guy is going to turn it on but when he does he wins games.
I agree that Morris is the man for the job this week.

I think he's been pretty faultless most of the year. Considering he's the smallest full forward in the competition, it's extremely hard for a small forward to be dominant week in week out. Yet he's managed it more often than most this year.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I think he's been pretty faultless most of the year. Considering he's the smallest full forward in the competition, it's extremely hard for a small forward to be dominant week in week out. Yet he's managed it more often than most this year.

Most teams struggle when they need to match up on more than one small forward as they like to have gorillas down back.

Against Poor Power, teams need to cover both Motlop and Ebert who both play close to goal. Previous posters to this thread have suggested Morris and I agree.

The difference is, we will have Hargrave to match up with Ebert. If need be, Gilbee can play on Ebert leaving Hargrave to cover half-back. Lake usually keeps Tredrea under control so I think they will struggle to kick a winning score.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Most teams struggle when they need to match up on more than one small forward as they like to have gorillas down back.

I could name 2 small forwards on every team :confused:

hujsh
25-06-2008, 05:31 PM

Good ones?

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 05:36 PM

Who play close to goal?

Just one will do - other than the Bulldogs

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Start alphabetically, Adelaide
Burton , Porplyzia both same size or smaller

Mantis
25-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Start alphabetically, Adelaide
Burton , Porplyzia both same size or smaller

Midfielder...

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Midfielder...

Played the whole game in the forward pocket last round against the lions

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:57 PM
and what a great player he is too

Mantis
25-06-2008, 06:09 PM
and what a great player he is too

Start a new thread if you want to talk about small forwards....

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Start a new thread if you want to talk about small forwards....

Well its certainly hard for people to accept a small point that I made a long time ago... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz