PDA

View Full Version : Hardie v Worsfold - Radio Clash

The Coon Dog
24-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Riveting radio, worth a listen for sure.

Hardie v Worsfold (http://www.mytalk.com.au/aspx/pages/mediaplayer.aspx?t=audio&w=10424)

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with Worsfold, what would Brad Hardie know??

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 08:35 PM
What do you agree with? His smug, arrogant manner or his defensiveness and avoiding answering questions?

If I were a West Coast fan I'd be thinking that the coach had far more important things to do than getting involved in spats with talkback hosts.

GVGjr
24-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I agree with Worsfold, what would Brad Hardie know??

I know your a huge admirer of Worsfold but as a coach he was given a class team and with only a couple of star players missing from 2007 and another one (Kerr) down on form they have still crashed down in a big way.
Good on him for sticking to his digs but you also shouldn't dismiss Hardies knowledge of the game or his right to ask some hard questions. It was after all supposed to be an interview.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I know your a huge admirer of Worsfold but as a coach he was given a class team and with only a couple of star players missing from 2007 and another one (Kerr) down on form they have still crashed down in a big way.
Good on him for sticking to his digs but you also shouldn't dismiss Hardies knowledge of the game or his right to ask some hard questions. It was after all supposed to be an interview.

Fair enough GVGjr, point taken.
The Eagles are closer to winning a premiership than half the sides in the AFL.
Plus Brad Hardie is a Big head, him and Karl Langdon have the most ignorant ,self serving crap on radio. About time someone yanked Hardie into line. WTF would he know about winning an AFL premiership?

GVGjr
24-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Fair enough GVGjr, point taken.
The Eagles are closer to winning a premiership than half the sides in the AFL.
Plus Brad Hardie is a Big head, him and Karl Langdon have the most ignorant ,self serving crap on radio. About time someone yanked Hardie into line. WTF would he know about winning an AFL premiership?

There has also been plenty of players that have won a premiership who still know very little about the game and of course vice-a-versa.
In my opinion, winning a premiership does not make some players or even coaches the oracle of all things football.
Worsfold is being tested now and in another season or two we will know if he just inherited enough star players to give him a dream run or if he has the list management skills, vision and tactical nous to rebuild the club.
The fact that he didn't handle the questions raised that well was not a great reflection on him.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 09:41 PM
There has also been plenty of players that have won a premiership who still know very little about the game and of course vice-a-versa.
In my opinion, winning a premiership does not make some players or even coaches the oracle of all things football.
Worsfold is being tested now and in another season or two we will know if he just inherited enough star players to give him a dream run or if he has the list management skills, vision and tactical nous to rebuild the club.
The fact that he didn't handle the questions raised that well was not a great reflection on him.

If Hardie has such an insight, why didnt he ask these hard questions after the Eagles flogged Adelaide? It was the same young team only 2wks earlier.

westdog54
24-06-2008, 10:06 PM
"There's a very simple solution to stop that happening..." well? What is it Woosha? Still waiting!

"Name 1 player on the West Coast list..." he named 3, and got fobbed off!

"I know how to build a side to win a premiership". Perhaps so, and people now say that not having Judd and Cousins has really hurt the Eagles. Well, John Worsfold is reaping what he has sowed. He turned a blind eye to the culture that existed at his club, it resulted in an ex-captain being de-registered and his current captain jumping off a sinking ship. He knows how to build a side, but maintaining it? He's got no idea.

"It takes a special character to be part of an AFL premiership". Yep, A drug taker, a turncoat, a convicted criminal and an athletic ruckman, all it takes.

Hardie may not have won an AFL premiership as a player. So what? That makes him unqualified to analyse the game and apply the blowtorch to a team that is a glorified rabble at the moment?

John Worsfold, you are an arrogant tool, and you proved it with this interview. Great Work. Keep going the way you are and you may yet have Naitanui as a consolation prize from the season.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 10:20 PM
John Worsfold, you are an arrogant tool, and you proved it with this interview. Great Work. Keep going the way you are and you may yet have Naitanui as a consolation prize from the season.

He thought he'd take a shot at the messenger but missed and shot himself in the foot.

Twodogs
24-06-2008, 10:24 PM
If Hardie has such an insight, why didnt he ask these hard questions after the Eagles flogged Adelaide? It was the same young team only 2wks earlier.

The Adelaide game was not representitive of WCs form this year. If you're going to base where they stand on that game then you are fooling yourself.

You seem to think that Worsfold deserves no criticism or examination for West Coast's plight-why is that?

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 10:39 PM
The Adelaide game was not representitive of WCs form this year. If you're going to base where they stand on that game then you are fooling yourself.

You seem to think that Worsfold deserves no criticism or examination for West Coast's plight-why is that?

I know the Adelaide game wasnt ,the Geelong wasnt either. My point is the same young kids ran around both weeks. If they are miles from a premiership now, what about 2 wks ago?
Sure the Eagles should be critcised for their poor form, but every team gets flogged when they are in the rebuilding faze. I have faith that with Worsfold at the helm and Woodhouse the recruiter they will be back in premiership contention within 5yrs.
Dont forget they lost Cousins and Judd, 2 all time greats.
At the end of this year BRaun and Fletcher will be gone. STaker ,Seaby, KErr and Embly could be offered as trade bait.

westdog54
24-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Dont forget they lost Cousins and Judd, 2 all time greats.

They lost Cousins and Judd because Worsfold turned a blind eye to a poor culture, which he could afford to do because they were performing well on the field.

Cousins was found out by his own behaviour and dealt with accordingly by the AFL, Judd jumped off a sinking ship.

Worsfold has to accept his share of the blame for the loss of these two players.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 11:13 PM
They lost Cousins and Judd because Worsfold turned a blind eye to a poor culture, which he could afford to do because they were performing well on the field.

Cousins was found out by his own behaviour and dealt with accordingly by the AFL, Judd jumped off a sinking ship.

Worsfold has to accept his share of the blame for the loss of these two players.

Im sure he does. Im sure the club does.
Doesnt matter why they lost them and who is to blame, they still lost 2 all time greats. A massive loss for any team.

westdog54
24-06-2008, 11:30 PM
[/B]

Im sure he does. Im sure the club does.
Doesnt matter why they lost them and who is to blame, they still lost 2 all time greats. A massive loss for any team.

But if you're going to rabbit on about how to build a premiership side and what it takes to play in a premiership side, as far as I'm concerned part of that is overseeing a healthy, positive culture in your playing group, something that Worsfold failed abysmally at.

He's not as good as he thinks he is and Brad Hardie had the balls to tell him that.

There's been one positive to come out of this. We've found out what club you really barrack for.

LostDoggy
24-06-2008, 11:56 PM
But if you're going to rabbit on about how to build a premiership side and what it takes to play in a premiership side, as far as I'm concerned part of that is overseeing a healthy, positive culture in your playing group, something that Worsfold failed abysmally at.

He's not as good as he thinks he is and Brad Hardie had the balls to tell him that.

There's been one positive to come out of this. We've found out what club you really barrack for.

We found out what club u really barrack for? What are you 12? What a pathetic response

Topdog
25-06-2008, 12:39 AM
How many games did Judd and Cousins play in last year? Their problems lie a lot deeper than those 2 leaving.

They actually had a very overrated list with many players looking great because of all the attention the others got.

Sockeye Salmon
25-06-2008, 12:57 AM
We found out what club u really barrack for? What are you 12? What a pathetic response

Actually we've been running a competition behind your back to try and find out!

Freo was favourite for a while but it looks like WD54 has got the chocolates!

JimmySewell
25-06-2008, 01:01 AM
If footscray had have had the facilities and the truck loads of money and all the other perks that the Eagles have now back in 1985, maybe we would have won the flag !

What a prick Worsefold was to say that Brad Hardie wouldn't know anything about winning a premiership as he didn't play in a premiership team himself ! Arse Wipe !

Brad Hardie gave his all for the Red White and Blue !

Wian

Scraggers
25-06-2008, 02:54 AM

Its about time Worsfold was held accountable for his sides poor form ...

If that was Freo that copped that flogging, the WA media would have been calling for the coaches immediate resignation ... but not Woosha ... he's untouchable ...

All Eagles players / administrators / coaches / supporters deserve the provoking that they are currently receiving and I'm glad Hardie had the balls to do it on live radio !! :D

westdog54
25-06-2008, 03:07 AM

Great piece of selective replying there Seinfeld.

I love the fact that you couldn't be arsed typing out the Y and O to go with the u, then accuse me of being 12.

Come on jerry, you're happy to lay the boots into Rocket but as soon as a radio commentator (an ex-bulldog, ironically enough) has the gall to criticise the Eagles coach, you come out swinging. We've connected the dots, can't you just fess up?

craigsahibee
25-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Worsfold's inability to deal with the issues his club has faced over the last few seasons is proof that he has the ability to not build a premiership side but to de-construct a premiership side. His coaching ability is up there with Alan Joyce.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Worsfold didnt react well in the Hardie interview, i admit that. But...i dont understand why after one massive loss everyone jumps on his case. I prefer to take a long term view and realise that these loses will come when u play young kids. He should be congratulated for taking the gutsy path of rebuilding with 18yr old kids. Dean Laidley, Ross Lyon, Mark Harvey dont have the foresight, the nouse and the balls to take this path.

westdog54
25-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Worsfold's inability to deal with the issues his club has faced over the last few seasons is proof that he has the ability to not build a premiership side but to de-construct a premiership side. His coaching ability is up there with Alan Joyce.

Another fine example of a coach who had a premiership line-up handed to him on a silver platter.

Worsfold had absolutely zero to do with the recruiting of Judd, Cousins, Cox, Kerr, Embley, Hunter or Hansen. The hard work was done before he got there.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Another fine example of a coach who had a premiership line-up handed to him on a silver platter.

Worsfold had absolutely zero to do with the recruiting of Judd, Cousins, Cox, Kerr, Embley, Hunter or Hansen. The hard work was done before he got there.

Ken Judge managed to stuff it all up, even with that lineup. Got to give him some credit Westdog

Sedat
25-06-2008, 05:10 PM
"It takes a special character to be part of an AFL premiership". Yep, A drug taker, a turncoat, a convicted criminal and an athletic ruckman, all it takes.
You forgot, a 3 moritorium on the state of WA with their introduction back in 1987. No wonder their virtual WA state side won premierships in 1992 and 1994 - they were able to stockpile the best emerging talent that WA football had at the time.

Woosha sounded quite smug in that little grab, and his backhanders at Hardie were clearly aimed at the fact that Hardie's direct opponent kicked 3 goals in the last qtr of the '85 prelim. Not to mention that Woosha's mentor at WCE, Mick Malthouse, had what you'd call a reasonably public fall-out with Brad Hardie the year after. Petty and smug stuff from Woosha I'd have thought: it was akin to someone pointing at the scoreboard.

GVGjr
25-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Worsfold didnt react well in the Hardie interview, i admit that. But...i dont understand why after one massive loss everyone jumps on his case. I

prefer to take a long term view and realise that these loses will come when u play young kids. He should be congratulated for taking the gutsy path of rebuilding with 18yr old kids. Dean Laidley, Ross Lyon, Mark Harvey dont have the foresight, the nouse and the balls to take this path.

For the first highlighted section - I think the main thing is that there are very few signs that things will get better and the point Hardie was making was that the game has past players like Fletcher and Braun by and yet they were still being played.

For the second highlighted point - you must have loved Terry Wallace because no one takes a longer term view than him.

The fact is that West Coast have over promised and under delivered which will always put a coach under pressure. Remember it wasn't until round 6 or 7 where they came clean that they couldn't make the finals. Before that the coach thought they were a top 3 not a bottom 3 side.

In the paper today he also admitted that Hardie was right to ask those questions

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 07:03 PM
For the first highlighted section - I think the main thing is that there are very few signs that things will get better and the point Hardie was making was that the game has past players like Fletcher and Braun by and yet they were still being played.

For the second highlighted point - you must have loved Terry Wallace because no one takes a longer term view than him.

The fact is that West Coast have over promised and under delivered which will always put a coach under pressure. Remember it wasn't until round 6 or 7 where they came clean that they couldn't make the finals. Before that the coach thought they were a top 3 not a bottom 3 side.

In the paper today he also admitted that Hardie was right to ask those questions

No. Im not a big fan of Terrys long term view. Recruiting Mcmahon,Morton and to be chasing David Mundy is the short sighted quick fixes that will bring him undone.
He isnt helped by the standard of the Richmond recruiting team. No wonder he was chasing Clayton again.

westdog54
25-06-2008, 09:59 PM
You forgot, a 3 moritorium on the state of WA with their introduction back in 1987. No wonder their virtual WA state side won premierships in 1992 and 1994 - they were able to stockpile the best emerging talent that WA football had at the time.

Woosha sounded quite smug in that little grab, and his backhanders at Hardie were clearly aimed at the fact that Hardie's direct opponent kicked 3 goals in the last qtr of the '85 prelim. Not to mention that Woosha's mentor at WCE, Mick Malthouse, had what you'd call a reasonably public fall-out with Brad Hardie the year after. Petty and smug stuff from Woosha I'd have thought: it was akin to someone pointing at the scoreboard.

This whole thing has reminded me of the story of Bulgarian footballer Yordan Letchkov.

Bulgaria went to the 1994 USA World Cup and made the quarter finals against Germany. Letchkov scored the goal that put Bulgaria through to the Semis.

After he returned to a hero's welcome, he eventually entered politics, being elected mayor of his hometown, Sliven.

Whenever he wants to win a political debate, all he need to is flash the photo of him scoring the historic goal, as if to say "I scored against Germany, what have you done?"

To me, all Worsfold is saying is "I won a premiership, you didn't, so ner!"

That, and not the fact that his team is crap, is why I'm jumping on his back.

The Pie Man
25-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Decent comparison beween Joyce & Worsfold actually. I remember Walls a few years ago (and I'm pretty confident everyone hates Rob, but occasionally he can be good) saying 'all Worsfold's got in coaching flexability is to put Hunter at full forward if they need goals, that's it.' Was kinda funny, as it ended up happenning all through the finals as well. Like Malthouse, can be regurlarly outcoached on game day.

Was having a good laugh at their spectacular fall from grace on Saturday while getting royally spanked by Geelong, though I did take the coversation somewhere else....

Me : 'Still, I'm kinda jealous of their past few years, even right now'

Mate : 'whaahht, why?'

Me : 'Cos they won a flag'

Topdog
25-06-2008, 10:59 PM
No. Im not a big fan of Terrys long term view. Recruiting Mcmahon,Morton and to be chasing David Mundy is the short sighted quick fixes that will bring him undone.
He isnt helped by the standard of the Richmond recruiting team. No wonder he was chasing Clayton again.

Agree with McMahon but what was wrong with going after Morton? He is still young. Same with Mundy but to be honest I dont know anything about him as a player.

westdog54
26-06-2008, 04:15 AM
Agree with McMahon but what was wrong with going after Morton? He is still young. Same with Mundy but to be honest I dont know anything about him as a player.

He's one of the few shining lights on Fremantle's abysmal list.

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 11:13 AM
He's one of the few shining lights on Fremantle's abysmal list.

David Mundy? I dont agree, he is another Daniel Bandy. He looks like he will develop into a good player, but he will never make it. No mongrel in him

westdog54
26-06-2008, 08:41 PM
David Mundy? I dont agree, he is another Daniel Bandy. He looks like he will develop into a good player, but he will never make it. No mongrel in him

That is a completely contradictory statement.

You openly admit he looks like he'll develop into a good player.

You can't have it both ways.

GVGjr
26-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Whilst Woosha carried on about Hardie taking him to task, both Fletcher and Braun have been dropped for this week. Perhaps he was listening afterall

LostDoggy
26-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Some players look good but never make it. Watch David Mundy closely. How often in crunch situations will he lope out of defense and turn it over. Or not go hard enough.

Topdog
27-06-2008, 12:22 AM

No its not. Its a great example.

Bandy always looked like he would be good but never was.

Pembleton
27-06-2008, 05:29 AM
I'm listening to it now. Woosha is unimpressive. So much of what he says reminds me of idiots in the outer.

MikeSheahan
28-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Many thanks for the link. Ripping stuff, and I was a bit disappointed in Woosha, starting the personal stuff, but great listening.