PDA

View Full Version : Should we rest a few players this week.

bornadog
25-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Given that we need to be really fresh for the run home after the break, is it worth resting a couple of players, like Johnno, Aker, Hudson ie the older players and let them have a big rest before our final assault on the top four? Johnno, is not right, he can't kick very far and that to me means some groin trouble? The heat in Darwin could take its toll on the older players.

This would give a few players a go such as Hill, Harbrow, Doogs, Street (if not suspended).

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 11:35 AM
You cant be serious Bornadog? No team is good enough to rest players, let alone key players.
Ps This kind of arrogance is creeping into this board more and more. A reality check is nigh

Mantis
25-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Not sure, the week off comes after the Port game so I would think most of our senior players will play this week and then enjoy the following week off.

I still think Hill and Harbrow will play probably at the expense of Williams and maybe Ward.

Go_Dogs
25-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Given that we need to be really fresh for the run home after the break, is it worth resting a couple of players, like Johnno, Aker, Hudson ie the older players and let them have a big rest before our final assault on the top four? Johnno, is not right, he can't kick very far and that to me means some groin trouble? The heat in Darwin could take its toll on the older players.

This would give a few players a go such as Hill, Harbrow, Doogs, Street (if not suspended).

Thoughts?

I think it could be an interesting selection this week. I tend to agree that it's a good opportunity to rest up a few of the older bodies and give them a full two weeks to recover for the second half of the season.

Hill played as a lead up full forward on the weekend from all reports, and could possibly come in and play for one of Johnno or Akermanis if they were to miss.

Not sure we could rest Hudson as there isn't really anyone to bring in at the moment. Could also be a good option for Doogs if Williams goes out to show his stuff.

KEN
25-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Can't really rest Hudson - Peter Street Guilty of Charging - 1 Match Suspension.
May be Johno for Hill as a leading forwarded.

The Coon Dog
25-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Peter Street Guilty of Charging - 1 Match Suspension.

Thanks KEN, I was wondering about that.

aker39
25-06-2008, 02:13 PM
We probably only need to win 3, maybe 4 games to make the top 4.

Why would you rest anyone this week when we need to make this game one of those 3 or 4.

They get a rest the next week.

Topdog
25-06-2008, 03:55 PM
No way. Too early in the season for rests.

Scraggers
25-06-2008, 04:07 PM
I think it could be an interesting selection this week. I tend to agree that it's a good opportunity to rest up a few of the older bodies and give them a full two weeks to recover for the second half of the season.

Hill played as a lead up full forward on the weekend from all reports, and could possibly come in and play for one of Johnno or Akermanis if they were to miss.

Not sure we could rest Hudson as there isn't really anyone to bring in at the moment. Could also be a good option for Doogs if Williams goes out to show his stuff.

I disagree ... this game against Port is a danger game; there isn't much difference between the Port Adelaide team that played in last years Grand Final and this weeks squad ... probably the only difference is confidence.

We need to be at full strength this week with the weeks break to follow ... IF we are looking at resting a few of the older players for two consecutive weeks, it should be the following week against Melbourne.

Go_Dogs
25-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I disagree ... this game against Port is a danger game; there isn't much difference between the Port Adelaide team that played in last years Grand Final and this weeks squad ... probably the only difference is confidence.

We need to be at full strength this week with the weeks break to follow ... IF we are looking at resting a few of the older players for two consecutive weeks, it should be the following week against Melbourne.

Whilst I tend to agree in theory, the fact that it is a big trip up to Darwin, plus the likely humidity and heat it would be the preferred week (imo) to rest players...leave them in Melbourne to rehab etc, rather than treking all the way up to Darwin.

You won't get any argument from me that Port look good on paper, I still feel that they have a terrific list, lots of proven performers and good kids coming through, however they simply aren't performing or working hard enough for each other at the moment.

I'd be shocked, and very disappointed if we couldn't beat them with a few of our older players being rested.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Just off the top of my head its minus some big names...
Peter Burgoyne, Steven Salopek, Toby Thurstans, Stuart Dew, Darryl Wakelin

Throughandthrough
25-06-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd be shocked, and very disappointed if we couldn't beat them with a few of our older players being rested.

And we would be SHATTERED if they took it easy selection wise and lost.

Way too early for easing off the throttle, in my opinion.

I doubt Eade would even consider the team slipping in intencity, could derail the whole season.

aker39
25-06-2008, 04:54 PM
Whilst I tend to agree in theory, the fact that it is a big trip up to Darwin, plus the likely humidity and heat it would be the preferred week (imo) to rest players...leave them in Melbourne to rehab etc, rather than treking all the way up to Darwin.

Why???

When they've got the following week to recover. They will not play a game for 15 days.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Just off the top of my head its minus some big names...
Peter Burgoyne, Steven Salopek, Toby Thurstans, Stuart Dew, Darryl Wakelin

Stuart Dew?????????????????

The only big thing about Thurstans name is the length of it.

And that's not too big either.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Ok big names was used quite liberally but they were all running around with them last year. 2 of their stating midfield and 2 of their starting full back line.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Ok big names was used quite liberally but they were all running around with them last year. 2 of their stating midfield and 2 of their starting full back line.

Mate, Stuart Dew was drinking Pi.. with me at the footy not playing for Port.

lion in the midst
25-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Mate, Stuart Dew was drinking Pi.. with me at the footy not playing for Port.

off the top of my head, should've checked ;)

GVGjr
25-06-2008, 07:00 PM
You cant be serious Bornadog? No team is good enough to rest players, let alone key players.

I agree, we are not good enough to choose when we will or won't play our best side and it's far to early in the season to even consider it. I still haven't forgotten our last 7 weeks of 2007.

BulldogBelle
25-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Another no to resting players - if the medicos deem them fit to be out there then so be it. They can all rest up the week after with the week off.

Go_Dogs
25-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Why???

When they've got the following week to recover. They will not play a game for 15 days.

Only those who could really benefit from that amount of time off. Obviously they wouldn't just be sitting around doing nothing during this period anyway, but why not put one eye on the finals for a few blokes who will greatly benefit from an extended break to improve their conditioning for September?

bornadog
25-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Ps This kind of arrogance is creeping into this board more and more. A reality check is nigh

HELLO JERRY, no arrogance here not from me any way.:mad:

I put up the thread to stimulate discussion especially since Eade suggested about a month ago that he may rest Johnno mid season, so its not my idea. I am not saying rest everyone, but rather asking if there is an opportunity to do so this week, which gives players two weeks to fully recover and be fit for the rest of the season and finals time.

bornadog
25-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Only those who could really benefit from that amount of time off. Obviously they wouldn't just be sitting around doing nothing during this period anyway, but why not put one eye on the finals for a few blokes who will greatly benefit from an extended break to improve their conditioning for September?

Exactly why I suggested a discussion. WE all know that players play with niggles and injuries and the older you are the longer it takes to recover. To me, no way Johnno is fully fit. Last week he couldn't even kick the ball 35 metres and turned it over sevearl times attempting a pass only to find it dropping short.

Any way we will see what happens.

LostDoggy
25-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I think that resting player that deserves a spot in the side would be a stupid thing to do at the moment. It would be nice to see some of our younger players that are performing well in the Williamstown side play, but this should not be done until an injury creates a spot for these players, or until there is no way that we can drop out of the top 4.

The Pie Man
25-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Exactly why I suggested a discussion. WE all know that players play with niggles and injuries and the older you are the longer it takes to recover. To me, no way Johnno is fully fit. Last week he couldn't even kick the ball 35 metres and turned it over sevearl times attempting a pass only to find it dropping short.

Any way we will see what happens.

I'm happy with the topic (think most of us are) That's what forums are for, exploring ideas

You'd hope that anything someone like Johno is carrying could get mostly sorted with 2 weeks off - you'd hope guys aren't playing with anything that ideally would need more than 1 week to get close to 100% (or am I just completely niaive?)

Aka looked in worse shape last week, but looked so free against Brisvegas - wonder how he trained (and is training this week)

bornadog
26-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Aka looked in worse shape last week, but looked so free against Brisvegas - wonder how he trained (and is training this week)

He mentioned on Tuesday (SEN) that he had a bout of gastro just before the game and he didn't tell the medicos. He also said he got a serve from Rocket.

The Coon Dog
26-06-2008, 07:56 AM
He mentioned on Tuesday (SEN) that he had a bout of gastro just before the game and he didn't tell the medicos. He also said he got a serve from Rocket.

Surely you would expect better than that from someone like Aker. Sounds a little like putting himself before the team to me.

Go_Dogs
26-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Surely you would expect better than that from someone like Aker. Sounds a little like putting himself before the team to me.

I initially thought the same, but at that stage it was probably too late to change, plus Akermanis even on an off-day still warrants a top defender on him.