PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom 8 Players (Analysis)

Go_Dogs
26-06-2008, 11:51 AM
One of the big reasons we are so much better this year, is that we are getting a much better output from our 'bottom 8' players rotated though the 22.

It seems to me that there are about 19 'safe' bets for spots in the side come finals;

Ray
Murphy
Cross
Boyd
Johnson
Hahn
Gilbee
Eagleton
Williams
Giansiracusa
Hudson
Griffen
Cooney
Akermanis
Hargrave
Minson
Welsh
Lake
Morris

These guys are all fairly well performed and pretty proven. We also have Higgins and West who fit in that category and may yet play a part in finals.

The next batch of guys has been where our improvement has come from.

Addison
Callan
Hill
Harbrow
Ward
Everitt
Tiller
Wight

We have had the luxury of not having to expose huge amounts of the list due to a good relatively good injury run. What has happened though, is that we have been able to rotate quite a few guys who have all come in and played a good role - Addison, Everitt and Callan in particular will have eyes on the 22 spot, and any of Hill, Ward, Harbrow, Tiller or Wight could yet find themselves back in serious consideration as all have done little wrong for young players. Their form at Williamstown has also been pleasing.

These guys have added some great hardness to our side, indicating that our recruiting is going well.

Addison, Callan, Ward, Everitt, Tiller and Wight all have a bit of go about them and attack the contest. Harbrow and Hill will continue to improve in this area as they get stronger, but they won't so much be about that. It's a good mixture of players we are building.

They are also pretty adaptable players. Addison, Callan, Ward, Hill and Harbrow have already demonstrated that they can play almost anywhere around the ground. Addison and Callan are classic defender/midfielders and Ward, Hill and Harbrow look as though they could potentially play forward, back or through the middle.

Everitt, Tiller and Wight also seem to have a bit of adaptability about them. Everitt is such a good mover and ball user that he can play tall or small at this stage, forward, back or through the middle. Going to be a pretty important utility over the next few months as holes in the structure appear.

Tiller and Wight have also been trialled back and forward, and played pretty good roles at times. Tiller looks like he could be a good option, just needs to get himself involved in the play more. Leads well, picks the ball off the ground and tackles/contests hard.

Basically, between these 8 guys who could fill the void in the final 22, we have some great, flexible options that I think most sides would be pretty jealous of.

Yes, even the top ones.

always right
26-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Don't underestimate the impact of having both Williams and Everitt in our defence. The flow-on effect is that Shaggy can pick up the most dangerous small which then allows Addison to take the next best small and Gilbee to take the least dangerous forward to enable him to run off (although Lockyer disproved this somewhat last week).

I can't ever recall our backline looking so well balanced.....although still a long way to go with Williams and Everitt still in early development. If we can keep them all on the park the structure of Lake and Williams taking the key forwards, Morris taking the most dangerous, Everitt being the swingman and Gilbee, Shaggy or Addison taking the remainder, sounds like a terrific backline for the next five years.

Bulldog Revolution
26-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Not sure I agree Griff

I dont think we've got a great deal out of the players you mention, they've been handy in patches, but more the icing on the cake

I think its actually our top and middle band of players who have stepped up and if anything we have been able to carry a few at the bottom of the squad, who are either being blooded (Ward) or getting themselves back to full fitness (Williams and Everitt)

The players I speak of would be Murphy, Hahn, Giansiracusa, Morris, Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, Gia, Cooney, Griffen etc - its really been the improvement in these guys and the fact that its really there team now, and now West and Johnsons that I see as the major reason for our improvement.

Obviously Hudson and Welsh have been great additions but its been the growth in our experienced players that has really made the difference IMO. They are fitter and doing far more of the defensive effort stuff.

Go_Dogs
26-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Not sure I agree Griff

I dont think we've got a great deal out of the players you mention, they've been handy in patches, but more the icing on the cake

I think its actually our top and middle band of players who have stepped up and if anything we have been able to carry a few at the bottom of the squad, who are either being blooded (Ward) or getting themselves back to full fitness (Williams and Everitt)

The players I speak of would be Murphy, Hahn, Giansiracusa, Morris, Boyd, Lake, Hargrave, Gia, Cooney, Griffen etc - its really been the improvement in these guys and the fact that its really there team now, and now West and Johnsons that I see as the major reason for our improvement.

Obviously Hudson and Welsh have been great additions but its been the growth in our experienced players that has really made the difference IMO. They are fitter and doing far more of the defensive effort stuff.

Very true, and obviously that plays a big part having all these more senior guys playing career best footy.

I just feel over the past few years we've really had to carry a few players every week, where as this year we can be pretty confident that every week, all 22 guys, regardless of who they are, will come in and pull their weight. It's given us deeper rotations and probably helped ease the burden of carrying players for a few guys.

Mofra
26-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't think Addison should be in the "maybe" list. He has played every game this year, Eade loves him, and he attacks the footy harder than maybe anyone else on the list (apologies to Tim Callan and Mitch Hahn).

Our hardness at the footy, especially in contested situations, would have to be our major improvement from last season.

craigsahibee
26-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think Addison should be in the "maybe" list. He has played every game this year, Eade loves him, and he attacks the footy harder than maybe anyone else on the list (apologies to Tim Callan and Mitch Hahn).

Our hardness at the footy, especially in contested situations, would have to be our major improvement from last season.

I agree 100%. Dylan is becoming very reliable as a defender and does his job and more each week. I must admit I am a huge Addison fan, and to be quite honest I can't find a player on our list that would be beaten by any other player in the league playing in the same position.

Maybe my judgement is a little clouded

The Pie Man
26-06-2008, 05:31 PM
I agree 100%. Dylan is becoming very reliable as a defender and does his job and more each week. I must admit I am a huge Addison fan, and to be quite honest I can't find a player on our list that would be beaten by any other player in the league playing in the same position.

Maybe my judgement is a little clouded

Addison would have to drop away badly to get dropped - he's best 22. Add him & Everett to the 19 listed, and I dare say Higgins would come in for Callan Ward from last week's 22 if fit. AND there's Scott West, though I think we have to plot life without him (at least at this stage)

Any injuries, and Hill/Harbrow get looked at, or Wight/McDougall/Street for talls/rucks, Tiller for the flankers (given he doesn't play FF for Willy, I presume they see him as a future utility)

Ahhhh the depth. Good lord it feels gooood

Bulldog Revolution
30-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Very true, and obviously that plays a big part having all these more senior guys playing career best footy.

I just feel over the past few years we've really had to carry a few players every week, where as this year we can be pretty confident that every week, all 22 guys, regardless of who they are, will come in and pull their weight. It's given us deeper rotations and probably helped ease the burden of carrying players for a few guys.

I've had more of a think about it and I can definitely see where you are coming from.

I think at times we've carried guys, but generally the faith shown in them by the match committee has been delivered on. Hill, Tiller, Williams, Ward, Everitt, Callan, Addison have all played good parts, or good games when given the opportunity and really justified that the match committee got it right in selecting them.

Our team has definitely been deeper, and injuries have helped that equation, but we've covered the loss of West and Higgins - and part of the evidence of that is at Willy where McDougall, Wight, Skipper, Street, OKeefe, Harbrow have all not been regular senior selections.

Sedat
30-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Which list does Scott West fit in?

Go_Dogs
30-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Which list does Scott West fit in?

Him and, although perhaps to a lesser extent, Higgins also fit in the automatic selection category, but it remains to be seen if they can get their bodies right for finals at this stage. Hopefully both can.