PDA

View Full Version : After the break

bornadog
29-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Eight games to go for the home and away.

Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
Sydney
Nth Melbourne
Brisbane Lions
Essendon
Adelaide

We have some tough games comming up and we have the potential to win all of them. To me the toughest games will be Geelong, Sydney and North. We have to play Kardinia Park, Canberra, Gabba and AAMI stadiums plus four at the Phone Dome. The most games we have ever won in a 22 round season is 16 games and we have never finished top.

If we can win the four at Phone Dome plus at least one away, it will be our best H & A season ever.

whythelongface
29-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I am confident that we can win the 4 at the dome and two away from home (more than likely Adelaide and Brisbane) at least with the only loss being against Geelong - even this game we will go close to beating the Cats (maybe a 40/60 chance)

I can't see any team in the league stopping the Bulldog's juggernaut bar Geelong.

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Carlton - should win - but they did manage to get over us last year when we 'should have won'
Sydney - have Barry Hall back - and seem to have found better form, luckily it won't be at Sydney - but we don't seem to have had much luck at our 'home game' ground at Canberra.
North Melbourne - tough team to beat at home- they don't seem to be any good playing away and hopefully they won't make the finals - so we won't have to face them again.
Melbourne - meh
Geelong - the big test - in some ways I hope we have a close loss - it will give us the psychological advantage when we face them again - hopefully in the big one. As they will think they can beat us, and we will know where we have to lift to beat them.
Essendon - meh
Adelaide - another away game where we have so far scored 100% (it's our home games that we have drawed and lost:confused:)
Brisbane - should win - another away game

By my calculations we could lose two of these games - but potentially could win all of them.

1eyedog
29-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Carlton - should win - but they did manage to get over us last year when we 'should have won'
Sydney - have Barry Hall back - and seem to have found better form, luckily it won't be at Sydney - but we don't seem to have had much luck at our 'home game' ground at Canberra.
North Melbourne - tough team to beat at home- they don't seem to be any good playing away and hopefully they won't make the finals - so we won't have to face them again.
Melbourne - meh
Geelong - the big test - in some ways I hope we have a close loss - it will give us the psychological advantage when we face them again - hopefully in the big one. As they will think they can beat us, and we will know where we have to lift to beat them.
Essendon - meh
Adelaide - another away game where we have so far scored 100% (it's our home games that we have drawed and lost:confused:)
Brisbane - should win - another away game

By my calculations we could lose two of these games - but potentially could win all of them.

I would not take Essendon too lightly, especially given their form over the past two weeks and the fact that they nearly toppled us in our earlier game. Out of all or Melbourne Phone Dome game, I am most worried about this one.

bornadog
29-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I would not take Essendon too lightly, especially given their form over the past two weeks and the fact that they nearly toppled us in our earlier game. Out of all or Melbourne Phone Dome game, I am most worried about this one.

How about North game?

Scraggers
29-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Eight games to go for the home and away.

Melbourne
Geelong
Carlton
Sydney
Nth Melbourne
Brisbane Lions
Essendon
Adelaide

We have some tough games comming up and we have the potential to win all of them. To me the toughest games will be Geelong, Sydney and North. We have to play Kardinia Park, Canberra, Gabba and AAMI stadiums plus four at the Phone Dome. The most games we have ever won in a 22 round season is 16 games and we have never finished top.

If we can win the four at Phone Dome plus at least one away, it will be our best H & A season ever.

I'm not too sure ... my memory is fading with age ... but where did we finish in 1998?

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm not too sure ... my memory is fading with age ... but where did we finish in 1998?

We finished second. We were one game and percentage behind North Melbourne.

bornadog
29-06-2008, 08:27 PM

15 wins in second place

Scraggers
29-06-2008, 08:31 PM

Cheers

Scraggers
29-06-2008, 08:32 PM

15 wins in second place

Cheers again

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 08:59 PM

In some ways I hope we thrash them by 90 points. Then the last dregs of doubt in our players' and the public's minds will be swept away and we will ride the wave of euphoria all the way to our win on the last Saturday in September.

Will absolultey HATE a close loss. Good teams win the close ones, usually. Can often be the difference between that final bit of the puzzle and a nearly team like Richmond, who have had quite a few close losses this year. Let's just win.

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 11:18 PM
In some ways I hope we thrash them by 90 points. Then the last dregs of doubt in our players' and the public's minds will be swept away and we will ride the wave of euphoria all the way to our win on the last Saturday in September.

Will absolultey HATE a close loss. Good teams win the close ones, usually. Can often be the difference between that final bit of the puzzle and a nearly team like Richmond, who have had quite a few close losses this year. Let's just win.

I would love to just 'thrash' geelong, but he reality is they are a good team - who have only lost two games our of their last 34 matches. I don't care if we lose this game as long as we win the one that counts;)

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 11:21 PM

We played Essendon earlier in the year before our confidence got up and we really hit our straps. If we can beat teams like Collingwood and Hawthorn, I don't think Essendon should trouble us - and I hope we don't do our usual 'lose one we should have won' caper, although some could argue we did that against North.

Rocket Science
29-06-2008, 11:47 PM
What the hell, I'll stick my neck out.

Melbourne - Win, 3 goal range, reckon they'll surprise and push us on a flat day post-break.
Geelong - Loss, a kick or two in it, reckon we'll push them.
Carlton - Win, 4-6 goal range, we'll smack them.
Sydney - Loss, 2-3 goal range, tough opponent seeking payback.
Nth Melbourne - Win, 8-10 goal range, we'll do it easy.
Brisbane Lions - Win, 1-2 goal range, they'll make us earn it.
Essendon - Win, 7-9 goal range, they'll be booking September Bali Hotel deals by then.
Adelaide - Win, 3-4 goal range, we can handle this mob.

Upon review that reeks a little of inflated confidence, but I reckon we're good for 4 from 8 as an absolute minimum, with a high probability of 6 from 8...barring key injuries or an unlikely drop in focus.

The boys are all business this year and I'm loving it.

firstdogonthemoon
29-06-2008, 11:49 PM
[B]Geelong - the big test - in some ways I hope we have a close loss -.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I mean you would never want to lose, but if I had to choose, I'd have to choose this one.

This team seems to have a good memory for the pain and humiliation of losing. They do a good line in smoldering resentment.

Dropping the cats game might - work for us later.

Maybe.

Scraggers
29-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I would love to just 'thrash' geelong, but he reality is they are a good team - who have only lost two games our of their last 34 matches. I don't care if we lose this game as long as we win the one that counts;)

Are we forgetting that Collingwood thrashed Geelong to the tune of 85 points playing our brand of footy ... we do have the ability to beat Geelong ...

We deserve to be 'top of the wozza' right now ... we have had one draw, and one loss (that we had a chance to win after the siren) ... we have not been blown of the park like most other teams ...

I say bring on Geelong :cool:

1eyedog
30-06-2008, 12:07 AM
How about North game?

I'm truly hoping we have learnt our lesson there, besides we really should have won that (not including Johnno's late shot) and I don't think North have one over us because of it.

1eyedog
30-06-2008, 12:09 AM
We played Essendon earlier in the year before our confidence got up and we really hit our straps. If we can beat teams like Collingwood and Hawthorn, I don't think Essendon should trouble us - and I hope we don't do our usual 'lose one we should have won' caper, although some could argue we did that against North.

Yep that's what I was referring to. The troubling thing is we were only a few points up at 3 qrt time and really they were crippled with injuries, sure we took full advantage of that as good teams should, but they really didn't have a chance after they lost Lonergan and McVeigh plus they had a heap of good players out through soft tissues. I reckon the Bombers are in good form, won 3 on the trot, Lloyd back in form, they are quick are we may underestimate them. Time will tell.

The Coon Dog
30-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Yeah I was wondering about that. I mean you would never want to lose, but if I had to choose, I'd have to choose this one.

This team seems to have a good memory for the pain and humiliation of losing. They do a good line in smoldering resentment.

Dropping the cats game might - work for us later.

Maybe.

I had been wondering for a while if you really were a closet Geelong supporter. This post & your avatar confirm my suspicions! ;)

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I think we'll have 3 or 4 Losses...

Geelong by 2-4 goals
Kangaroos by 3 goals max - we always struggle against them...although this time its not a milestone game or coming back from perth (or both like this yr)
Sydney by 3-4 goals - Premiership dark horse.. they have won 6 in a row and sit 4th with a good %
Adelaide @ AAMI... most interesting i think - havent won there since 2001 but hey this could be the year we break it...either team to win by less than 3 goals