PDA

View Full Version : Possible All Australian's

The Coon Dog
29-06-2008, 09:01 PM
It's a tough gig to break into the All Australian team, tho last season Geelong managed a few who made their debuts.

Which Bulldogs may be in line for selection in 2008?

Jason Akermanis - Would have to go very close.
Adam Cooney - A shoe in.
Daniel Cross - A chance with a really good finish to the season.
Ryan Griffen - If he keeps playing like he did last night he'll come under notice.
Ben Hudson - Doing better than most other ruckmen, but needs to really dominate a few games
Brian Lake - Like Aker, would have to go close.
Dale Morris - Almost a certainty.

hujsh
29-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Murph a shot

The Coon Dog
29-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Murph a shot

Oops, forgot about him, yes, well worth a shot. :o

hujsh
29-06-2008, 09:14 PM
It would be truly representative of out team if 2 or 3 small forwards from our team were All Australian.

Rocket Science
29-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Solid list, although while he's obviously been very handy for us, the possible exception of Huddo...then again it's been a far from stellar year for ruckmen across the board and if he continues to soldier on he could get a gig.

Here's a roughy: Hargrave a dark horse perhaps, IF he can keep it up. Been garnering plaudits in the press lately.

At the very least would be stunned if Murph, Cooney and Aker don't make the grade.

hujsh
29-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Solid list, although while he's obviously been very handy for us with the possible exception of Huddo...then again it's been a far from stellar year for ruckmen across the board.

Here's a roughy: Hargrave a dark horse perhaps, IF he can keep it up. Been garnering plaudits in the press lately.

Could easily see Murph, Cooney and Aker making the grade.

I thought about Hargrave but generally players need to be good enough 2 years in a row and his attacking skills aren't as widely publicized which most players seems to need bar one (eg Morris or Cambel Brown)

Mantis
29-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Would think that Cooney and Morris are certainities.

If Murphy continues in his present form he will make the team.

The other's mentioned in this thread will certainly come under consideration if they finish off the season strongly.

LostDoggy
29-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Gilbee? He has found some good form over recent weeks.
Johno - a bit quieter than recent years - but still a popular choice.

Happy Days
29-06-2008, 10:33 PM
wouldve thought gia would have to be close

Scorlibo
29-06-2008, 10:50 PM
IMO,

Certainties: Cooney, Akermanis.
Likelies: Murphy, Morris.
Should make it but won't because the media don't give them enough credit: Cross, Lake.
Could make it because the media pay them quite a lot of credit: Griffen
Possibility: Gilbee (only another couple of great performances off being the premier half back flanker in the competition again I'd say)

1eyedog
30-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Boyd, has been a gun all year and the people who nominate players for AA like unsung heroes who are team-orientated.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Cooney- As long as he turns up to 4-5 more games he is in.
Aker- He is in at the moment. Didak's form has dropped off a bit will further increases his chances.

Morris: I'd have him in but might struggle due to Campbell Brown always seeming to get more love for his performances.

Hudson: Cox is the clear #1 ruckman atm and I think Sandilands is clearly the #2. If Cox goes in for surgery soon Hudson would be competing with Jolly for the backup spot.

Griffen/Cross: Very good seasons from the pair so fair but the competition for AA midfield spots is insanely tough and I would give them no chance. Trying to fit in the likes of Cooney,
Gablett, Mitchell, Black, Power, Kirk, Goodes, Thompson, Judd and B.Harvey (I'm sure I've forgotten someone) into 5 starting spots and 1-2 on bench will be some sort of task.

Murphy: If the side was really going to play an actual game of Aussie Rules then I would definitely have him in alongside Ryan O'Keefe. They are the masters of modern day CHF. I think they will be with an extra tall forward with Franklin, Fev, Richo and Pav having strong seasons and I would have ROK ahead of him in the role they both play.

Hargrave: He is my smokey. AA sides are now picked on position so guys who aren't good enough for mid spots cannot be stacked in at HBF or FP which will increase his chances. The competition for quality BP/HBF's is relatively limited and sometimes AA selectors like to go with an out there choice to prove how in the know they are. Shags can play on smalls and mediums. He also has the benefit of playing for a gun side were BP/HBF's seem to always look better. Take a player like Josh Gibson, I think he would look a lot better in our side having the comfort of not having to always punch above his weight.

hujsh
30-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Cooney- As long as he turns up to 4-5 more games he is in.
Aker- He is in at the moment. Didak's form has dropped off a bit will further increases his chances.

Morris: I'd have him in but might struggle due to Campbell Brown always seeming to get more love for his performances.

Hudson: Cox is the clear #1 ruckman atm and I think Sandilands is clearly the #2. If Cox goes in for surgery soon Hudson would be competing with Jolly for the backup spot.

Griffen/Cross: Very good seasons from the pair so fair but the competition for AA midfield spots is insanely tough and I would give them no chance. Trying to fit in the likes of Cooney,
Gablett, Mitchell, Black, Power, Kirk, Goodes, Thompson, Judd and B.Harvey (I'm sure I've forgotten someone) into 5 starting spots and 1-2 on bench will be some sort of task.

Murphy: If the side was really going to play an actual game of Aussie Rules then I would definitely have him in alongside Ryan O'Keefe. They are the masters of modern day CHF. I think they will be with an extra tall forward with Franklin, Fev, Richo and Pav having strong seasons and I would have ROK ahead of him in the role they both play.

Hargrave: He is my smokey. AA sides are now picked on position so guys who aren't good enough for mid spots cannot be stacked in at HBF or FP which will increase his chances. The competition for quality BP/HBF's is relatively limited and sometimes AA selectors like to go with an out there choice to prove how in the know they are. Shags can play on smalls and mediums. He also has the benefit of playing for a gun side were BP/HBF's seem to always look better. Take a player like Josh Gibson, I think he would look a lot better in our side having the comfort of not having to always punch above his weight.

Even if he does i think he'll still get it

Rocco Jones
30-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Even if he does i think he'll still get it

You're probably right, the rucks seem a lock.

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I think u can pencil in Cooney & Akermanis for sure.

Got a feeling they'll look past someone like Morris for say Johncock and/or Bock..

Id love to see Morris in there though. Brian Lake i think is a 50/50 to get in..

And Murph id say 90% chance right now..

Rocco Jones
30-06-2008, 11:55 AM
I think u can pencil in Cooney & Akermanis for sure.

Got a feeling they'll look past someone like Morris for say Johncock and/or Bock..

Id love to see Morris in there though. Brian Lake i think is a 50/50 to get in..

And Murph id say 90% chance right now..

I think Bock and especially Johncock will be competing for different spots.

Here's my attempt at the AA backline so far:

B: Morris, Scarlett, Johncock
HB: H.Shaw, Bock, S.Fisher/C.Bolton

Doing that makes me feel more confident that Morris will land an AA spot, 5 of the 6 backline spots seem relatively automatic atm but the final spot is a battle between a few mobile, medium defender options for me. If Shaggy keeps up the form he is in with a chance.

Mantis
30-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I think Bock and especially Johncock will be competing for different spots.

Here's my attempt at the AA backline so far:

B: Morris, Scarlett, Johncock
HB: H.Shaw, Bock, S.Fisher/C.Bolton

Doing that makes me feel more confident that Morris will land an AA spot, 5 of the 6 backline spots seem relatively automatic atm but the final spot is a battle between a few mobile, medium defender options for me. If Shaggy keeps up the form he is in with a chance.

He has had 4 or 5 ordinary games in a side that is just travelling.

1eyedog
30-06-2008, 12:18 PM

But he does play for Collingwood.

aker39
30-06-2008, 12:36 PM
But he does play for Collingwood.

...who actually don't have a good record when it comes to AA spots.

Rocco Jones
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM

I think his ordinary games are different to those of players he is competing with. He is virtually getting tagged by his forward opponent in those games and they aren't doing much offensively at all. Not too bad for a HBF's poor performances to include his opponent not kicking goals or getting touches is it?

1eyedog
01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
...who actually don't have a good record when it comes to AA spots.

I thought the same thing after I posted it (Clement and Buckley regulars though). Its because they have had a solid group of players rather than consistently great players (Buckley aside and to a lesser degree Clement) for the past 10 years.

bornadog
01-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Tony Shaw gave a big rap for Dale Morris on 3AW tonight and told Healy he would be crazy if he is not picked as the all Australian back pocket.

lowedog
02-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Cooney, Murphy and aker all certs, barring injuries, dont reckon Morris will get a look in, more likely Lake from the back half. Cross and Griff withe 7 rounds to go, would do to have a few spectacular games to make it, and the smokey would be Hudson as a back up ruckman, might miss that spot to Hille, who is playing really well at the minute. I really like seeing our players in the AA squad but would give them all a miss for a slightly larger prize, in late september. Excuse me, but there seems to be a problem with the lid on my bin.....