PDA

View Full Version : Who'll be our next first gamer?

Bulldog Revolution
30-06-2008, 06:19 PM
OK so we have only had the one debutant in Callan Ward so far in 2008?

Who will be the next? Will there be a next?

The consistent Guy OKeefe? the bolter Sam Reid? or the maturing Brennan Stack? or another?

MikeSheahan
30-06-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure Rocket would want to mess with the line up too much. A minor tweak here and there in the lead up to September, generally doesn't include thoughts about rookies.

Bulldog Revolution
30-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure Rocket would want to mess with the line up too much. A minor tweak here and there in the lead up to September, generally doesn't include thoughts about rookies.

So thats a vote for no more debutants in 08 - I've ammended my post to ask if people think there will be another debutant in 08?

bornadog
30-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Early on in the year, Rocket thought Grant would make his debut towards the end of the year, however, with his OP, that one looks like its on hold.
Reid has been playing well and and up to a few weeks ago, Stack was right up there. If Stack can continue his form, I would bet my $$ on him. He has an amazing leap (better than Hill) and a bit of pace. He needs to improve his defence side, but is a promising prospect.

Twodogs
30-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Did Stack play for Willy on the weekend? I thought he waqs injured.

Bulldog Revolution
30-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Early on in the year, Rocket thought Grant would make his debut towards the end of the year, however, with his OP, that one looks like its on hold.
Reid has been playing well and and up to a few weeks ago, Stack was right up there. If Stack can continue his form, I would bet my $$ on him. He has an amazing leap (better than Hill) and a bit of pace. He needs to improve his defence side, but is a promising prospect.

Interesting Borna

I'd thought Stack was very much in the frame until injury

I am really interested in where you see OKeefe in this mix? He's been pretty impressive in the VFL, perhaps not in quite as good form as early. Do you think he is getting more attention from opposition clubs now and having to adjust to run with players etc? Or is he just experiencing a minor lull in a sparkling first year?

bornadog
30-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Interesting Borna

I'd thought Stack was very much in the frame until injury

I am really interested in where you see OKeefe in this mix? He's been pretty impressive in the VFL, perhaps not in quite as good form as early. Do you think he is getting more attention from opposition clubs now and having to adjust to run with players etc? Or is he just experiencing a minor lull in a sparkling first year?

Early on in the year, I thought OKeefe was almost ahead of Ward, but he has dropped off in the past few weeks and Reid has come from nowhere. Not sure if its the opposition, or as you say a minor lull.

This kid Reid can play. I saw him against Frankston a few weeks ago and he started in the centre in the last quarter when Willy was down a few goals, and he got clearance after clearnace to drive the ball forward. I believe he has also played well in the last two games as well.

Not sure on the injury to Stack and whether he is out ornot.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Apparently Stack played.

Reid seems to be improving, he's worked his way up from the reserves and has played some solid football in the seniors, earning himself a couple of mentions in the best. I haven't seen him play yet but the signs and reports are promising.

Who could he be compared to, or better yet, what's his style? Typical queenslander - tough, finds the ball, good in the contest but average skills or is he different?

1eyedog
01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Ben Cousins round 1 2009 :D just kidding

Bulldog Revolution
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Apparently Stack played.

Reid seems to be improving, he's worked his way up from the reserves and has played some solid football in the seniors, earning himself a couple of mentions in the best. I haven't seen him play yet but the signs and reports are promising.

Who could he be compared to, or better yet, what's his style? Typical queenslander - tough, finds the ball, good in the contest but average skills or is he different?

His actual physical size is kind of in judd like proportions, but that would be an unfair comparison in terms of his actual play, but I thought he was that running ruck rover type with a great spring, capable of taking a screamer across half forwar, but likes running with the ball. Not sure how great a kick he is, someone else would have to comment on that.

I haven't seen enough of him to have a ready made player comparison

Mofra
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Possibly our first round pick from the end of this year?
Assuming Ayce falls to our second pick of course.

Stack may be playing with a niggle if at all
Grant looks like he needs to be locked in a gym for 3 years
Reid & O'Keefe are doing better than ok, but not knocking the door down yet
Wood is a project player, as is Bouman if he gets his head right
Our rookies are injured/quite some way away

If we pick up the big kid Ayce, we may have a midfielder with our pick 1 or 2, and they generally debut in their first year (Skinny was more KPP but still cracked a debut).