PDA

View Full Version : What was said to Kane Cornes?

Throughandthrough
30-06-2008, 07:01 PM
All over the 5aa about a "disgraceful" comment he made re Kane's child during the game?

Twodogs
30-06-2008, 07:09 PM
All over the 5aa about a "disgraceful" comment he made re Kane's child during the game?

It couldnt have been any worse than what the Port supporter next to me was saying.

firstdogonthemoon
30-06-2008, 07:22 PM
It couldnt have been any worse than what the Port supporter next to me was saying.

Which was....

bornadog
30-06-2008, 07:35 PM

What that it was as ugly as Kane

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Johnno doing hardcore sledging?
Hard to imagine..... i'd imagine the Port players/supporters doing the sledging the way they were going on Saturday night!

Go_Dogs
30-06-2008, 07:45 PM

Typical Adelaide media beat-up?

BulldogBelle
30-06-2008, 08:43 PM
It wasn't Johnno who did the sledging apparently it was broadcast on Adelaide tv that it was Will Minson who sledged Cornes about his son Eddy's condition Will has apologised and Kane isn't pursuing the matter.

MikeSheahan
30-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Will has apologised and Kane isn't pursuing the matter.Best possible outcome.

Stevo
30-06-2008, 09:15 PM
It wasn't Johnno who did the sledging apparently it was broadcast on Adelaide tv that it was Will Minson who sledged Cornes about his son Eddy's condition Will has apologised and Kane isn't pursuing the matter.

Our players need to be better than that. There is a line that should not be crossed and its a simple one to remember. If I was part of the leadership group I would be more concerned with that than the handstand. I wonder if Motlop heard it and that is why he was going for Minson all night

ledge
30-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Minson was just , on , on the couch , he did say something and apologized

BulldogBelle
30-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Just on "On the Couch...he spoke to Mike Sheehan, regarding the incident. Will said he said something for which he was deeply sorry for and he apologised and the incident occured in the heat of battle and he is very sorry about what was said. He didn't say what he said but didn't want to disclose what was said.

He contacted Kane as soon as could after the game but Kane didn't answer the phone and left a message and apologised wholeheartedly. Will said the club contacted Kane and Peter Rhode and he wanted to clear the air and that why he came on air. He is very troubled and very dissapointed for what he said.

He again reiterated he came on air to show his remorse...Sheehan asked him if there was any provocation but Will said he wouldn't go into that.

He left a message for Kane and Chad called him back but wouldn't say what was said.

There will be some articles coming out in the press tomorrow.

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Ergh i had a feral port supporter a few rows back, every time Aker got the ball without fail he would yell YOUR SH1T AKER or YOU SUCK AKER...it got very old after the first time...

Now, when Aker kicked that amazing soccer goal, the crowd practically turned around pointed and laughed at this feral port fan..

Aker 1 - Adelaide Feral 0 :D

The Coon Dog
30-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Any chance the thread title could be ammended? Change Johnno to Will.

Thanks for doing that!

Twodogs
30-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Which was....

That he should have stayed at home and let his brother who could actually play make the trip. Quite a few references to his, ummmm, lack of 'manliness'* as well

* Not actually the words he used but this is a family forum.

The Pie Man
30-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Just on "On the Couch...he spoke to Mike Sheehan, regarding the incident. Will said he said something for which he was deeply sorry for and he apologised and the incident occured in the heat of battle and he is very sorry about what was said. He didn't say what he said but didn't want to disclose what was said.

He contacted Kane as soon as could after the game but Kane didn't answer the phone and left a message and apologised wholeheartedly. Will said the club contacted Kane and Peter Rhode and he wanted to clear the air and that why he came on air. He is very troubled and very dissapointed for what he said.

He again reiterated he came on air to show his remorse...Sheehan asked him if there was any provocation but Will said he wouldn't go into that.

He left a message for Kane and Chad called him back but wouldn't say what was said.

There will be some articles coming out in the press tomorrow.

He looked gutted, lump in the throat stuff. Chad (not Kane) apparently called back wild at Will. Looks like he's doing it very tough, and sadly he just has to and ride it out - very happy he's showing some genuine remorse, show's character. It'll blow over once we play again.

Do I sound like Wayne Carey if I say if something like this had to happen, the break is probably the best possible time?

They're about to talk about the Aka handstand too. This is all turning very weird

LostDoggy
30-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Big Will does appear to get quite heated at points... but talking about kids is completely crossing the line, way out of line.

Good of Will to apologize, but shouldnt have happened to start with. Our club isn't usually related to this sort of stuff and it's a bit dissapointing.

At the end of the game, from what i could tell Cooney and i think Ray were discussing Aker's handstand (they were doing the handstand motion with ther arms, hah) and im not sure if they were completely happy with it. Didn't look pleased, but didn't look angry. Did Aker cop any slack on any of the Sunday footy shows?

al_smith07
30-06-2008, 10:25 PM
im sorry guys not trying to be heartless but what happens on the field stays on the field. Words are words when your in the heat of battle shit happens its not personal its just words and when you get someone off there mind your job is done, Its just how i see things

The Pie Man
30-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Big Will does appear to get quite heated at points... but talking about kids is completely crossing the line, way out of line.

Good of Will to apologize, but shouldnt have happened to start with. Our club isn't usually related to this sort of stuff and it's a bit dissapointing.

At the end of the game, from what i could tell Cooney and i think Ray were discussing Aker's handstand (they were doing the handstand motion with ther arms, hah) and im not sure if they were completely happy with it. Didn't look pleased, but didn't look angry. Did Aker cop any slack on any of the Sunday footy shows?

Don't know bout the Sunday footy shows, but they said On the Couch the Dogs leadership group 'chastised' Aka after the game for it. Their words to sum it up 'no big deal'

Not a betting or Buddy in a nightclub type of scandal really

Sockeye Salmon
30-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Ergh i had a feral port supporter a few rows back, every time Aker got the ball without fail he would yell YOUR SH1T AKER or YOU SUCK AKER...it got very old after the first time...

Now, when Aker kicked that amazing soccer goal, the crowd practically turned around pointed and laughed at this feral port fan..

Aker 1 - Adelaide Feral 0 :D

That guy was in front of the food tent next to the scoreboard, about 10 metres around from Ernie and me.

Alexx, we seemed to spend a fair bit of time close to each other without actually managing to meet.

hujsh
30-06-2008, 11:28 PM
That he should have stayed at home and let his brother who could actually play make the trip. Quite a few references to his, ummmm, lack of 'manliness'* as well

Does Kane have a medical problem with his manliness?

If not then he's a wuss

Just read on Port board that it's bout his son who has had problems with his heart

"There have been five stays in hospital - up to five nights - this winter when Eddy's heart has beaten to a fast rhythm, often without explanation. And when Eddy is four, with his heart bigger and the risks smaller, he will have open-heart surgery in Melbourne to correct his heart anomaly."-The Advertiser

GetDimmaBack
01-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Apparently Will sledged K. Cornes on Saturday night.
Looks likely to blow up in Adelaide tomorrow, with M Rucci all over it.

Anyone know what it's about?

Throughandthrough
01-07-2008, 12:06 AM
aah ok.

Not good, clever or smart by Minson.

But as someone who has grown up watching the 'real port adelaide tradition" in the SANFL, that sort of thing is/was a very regular incident for a Port Magpies player...or their head runner.

Many a time i've heard David Armfield swearing profanities at opposition players.

I know that doesn't excuse Minson for one second, but fuggem.

GetDimmaBack
01-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Just noticed a thread already exists on this. Will go there...

BulldogBelle
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Just noticed a thread already exists on this. Will go there...

You are there...I merged the thread. :)

GetDimmaBack
01-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks BB.

BulldogBelle
01-07-2008, 01:08 AM
Here is an article on the issue...

Dog sorry for sledge on Cornes (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/minson-sorry-for-sledge/2008/06/30/1214677943557.html)
The Age
Samantha Lane | July 1, 2008

WILL Minson has apologised for the distasteful personal remark he made about Kane Cornes' sick son during last Saturday night's Western Bulldogs-Port Adelaide match in Darwin.

Anxious about a hurtful on-field exchange as soon as he left the field, Minson informed the Bulldogs' football manager about his comment, left an apologetic message for Cornes later that night and asked him to phone back if he wanted to discuss the matter further.

While The Age believes they have still not spoken directly, Cornes did discuss the matter with the Bulldogs' football operations manager James Fantasia yesterday and has since informed Port Adelaide that he does not wish to make a formal complaint through the AFL.

While there were conflicting reports yesterday of what was said — and neither club would detail their versions publicly — sources said Minson made reference to Cornes being selfish for playing and that he should have been at home with his sick son, and that Cornes retaliated with a comment about Minson's deceased father.

Unbeknown to Minson, Cornes had made a late trip to Darwin — he arrived on match day — because his wife Lucy had delivered the couple's second son on Friday.

Cornes' son Eddy Jack, who turns two in September, was born with rare heart problems. Before his first birthday, he had two operations and he is due to have open-heart surgery in the next few years. In the lead-up to Port Adelaide's qualifying final last year, Cornes told The Age about the trauma and stress Eddy Jack's condition had caused him and wife.

"Sleeping on a hospital floor two nights before a game and then still being able to play well has sort of changed my attitude a little bit," Cornes said last September, referring to his altered perspective on football.

Fantasia last night confirmed Minson's part in the exchange and that he had spoken with Cornes yesterday. "We've spoken to Will and he was remorseful about saying anything and has tried to make contact with Kane. Subsequently, I have spoken to Kane as well, and the Port Adelaide Football Club and they were accepting of his apology and we're keen just to get on with it."

Port Adelaide's football manager Peter Rohde refused to identify Cornes, but said the player had indicated he did not want to pursue the matter further. "Whilst one of our players was certainly disappointed at the time, he's now happy to accept that the person is remorseful for what he said and he wants to move on," Rhode said.

Port Adelaide later released a statement identifying both players.

Cornes' father Graham yesterday identified Kane as the aggrieved player on his 5AA radio program, but suggested his son was disinclined to make a formal complaint.

Cornes' co-host, Ken Cunningham, said that, in his opinion, what had been said by the Western Bulldog player was worse than racial vilification.

"The clubs have to do something about this. This young man cannot walk away from this scot-free. This Western Bulldogs player, he has to be penalised because what he did was an absolute disgrace," Cunningham said.

The AFL does not act on sledging unless a player makes a complaint.

ledge
01-07-2008, 01:56 AM
Hopefully no one takes this wrong but Will was right, whats more important ?
Ok i agree it shouldnt have been mentioned but it is a fact.
I know if my children were ill football would be last thing on my mind.
And how is it disgraceful that Will mentioned he should be at home with him? I think its more a disgrace Port Adelaide naming him in the side and having him play.
Ken Cunningham needs a reality check.
And then Kane mentioned Wills dad, do 2 wrongs make a right?
Just leave it on the field i say then after if you feel bad go and apologize and have a beer together, thats how it was done in my day.
And Ken, the clubs have done something about it, they have sorted it out obviously as according to Kane he is ok with the apology.
And if he is ok with how it was sorted thats what matters, dont need some stupid commentator pouring petrol on the fire.

Sedat
01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I must admit I guffawed and snorted out loud when a poster on another chat forum asked what was wrong with Kane's son and the reply came, "he has Graham as a grandfather".

Sockeye Salmon
01-07-2008, 09:25 AM
"Yeah, well you're selfish for not staying home with your sick son, so there".

Not exactly the most vicious sledge I've ever heard.

I reckon there would have been a reference to the son having got his dodgy heart from his dad.

bornadog
01-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Can I just say there are two sides to every story and all we are hearing is the sledge by Will.

I also noticed in the article from The Age, the Cornes said something about Wills father, so unless we know about both sides of the story, we can''t make judgement.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Can I just say there are two sides to every story and all we are hearing is the sledge by Will.

I also noticed in the article from The Age, the Cornes said something about Wills father, so unless we know about both sides of the story, we can''t make judgement.

Exactly. Timely beat up to hide Port's shocking season for another week...

Topdog
01-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Cornes replied with something about Will's father.

2 wrongs do not make a right but clearly Will was first and as such deserved a comment back.

Mantis
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Could Cornes have had a go at Will's brother who recently 'retired' while on Port's list due to chronic knee problems?

bornadog
01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Cornes replied with something about Will's father.

2 wrongs do not make a right but clearly Will was first and as such deserved a comment back.

can you verify that 100%?

Topdog
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
can you verify that 100%?

nothing is 100% but I can't even verify that Will said anything at all. Even his word is not 100%, only if i heard it can I be 100% certain. However seeing as the following was written

and that Cornes retaliated with a comment about Minson's deceased father.

and you spoke in reference to that article then it is as verified as it needs to be.

You can't believe that Cornes said something about his father and disregard the retaliated part of the sentence.

G-Mo77
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
I can't believe the uproar over at BigFooty even amongst our own, you would think Will had murdered and raped someone. Give me a break! Am I alone thinking that what he apparently said was not that bad?

I have been sledged with much worse on the footy field over the years lets all stop being so precious.

The Coon Dog
01-07-2008, 05:22 PM
I can't believe the uproar over at BigFooty even amongst our own, you would think Will had murdered and raped someone. Give me a break! Am I alone thinking that what he apparently said was not that bad?

I have been sledged with much worse on the footy field over the years lets all stop being so precious.

I agree. I think people hear 'child' & just go over the top. The sledge, whilst not 'nice' but then again, what sledges are?

firstdogonthemoon
01-07-2008, 05:26 PM

I agree - Will is a dill, said something stupid and immediately regretted it. Did the right thing by apologising and took his lumps.

Cornes responded in kind so he is a donkey as well.

The worst you can say is "Will started it...."

G-Mo77
01-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I agree. I think people hear 'child' & just go over the top. The sledge, whilst not 'nice' but then again, what sledges are?

Fans just go over the top about anything now days. Most of these people are the same ones that sit in the crowd and sledge opposition players until their voice gives out. Lucky Will didn't call him a "Monkey" imagine the uproar then. :p

hujsh
01-07-2008, 05:38 PM

Doesn't help there's a Port supporter, who said he's glad someone's dead, who's helping stir it up

bornadog
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
nothing is 100% but I can't even verify that Will said anything at all. Even his word is not 100%, only if i heard it can I be 100% certain. However seeing as the following was written

and you spoke in reference to that article then it is as verified as it needs to be.

You can't believe that Cornes said something about his father and disregard the retaliated part of the sentence.

Sorry should have explained, did something else happen before Will sledged him.

Some one mentioned today that Cornes commented on his brother having no heart (being gutless). I don't know who said what when so thats why I said we can't be 100% sure what happened

AAHHHHHH who cares.

Topdog
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
fair enough. cheers for the clarification.

We will never truly know what happened.

Will said something he regretted. He apologised.

10 years ago this wouldn't have even been known by anyone outside the 2 clubs.

LostDoggy
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
When i heard kids, i was thinking it would have been harsher. It wasn't really an insult on his child, more on Cornes.
I think Cornes' possible retalliation was equally as bad, possibly worse.
Well done to Will for apologising sincerely.