PDA

View Full Version : Interview With Simon Beasley

The Coon Dog
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Simon Beasley was the Bulldogs full forward in its Team of the Century.He played 154 games & kicked 575 goals.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/852/beaserpl2.jpg

TCD: Simon, welcome to WOOF.

SB: Thanks, I’ve had the pleasure of checking out WOOF & I must say it’s a pretty impressive website.

Thanks for that. A lot of people have put a lot of time into making it what it is today. Now, when did you start playing football & who with?

I grew up in the Swan Valley area, about 7 or 8 miles out of Perth & played for my school, Guildford Grammar on Saturdays & Guildford Junior Football Club on Sundays.

Did you follow a team in the WAFL?

Yes, Swan Districts.

What about the VFL?

No, not really. In WA we used to watch ‘The Winners’ on the ABC & most people were more interested in how the Western Australian boys had performed.

When did you play for Swan Districts?

From 1977-1981.

So, how did you become to be a Bulldog?

Most VFL sides approached me. Footscray had initially spoken with me in the late 70’s. At the time I was working at the stock exchange in Perth & knew to succeed I had to go to Melbourne. Footscray again approached me after I made up my mind to head east. The timing was perfect.

What were your initial thoughts of Footscray?

It was very similar to my old club back in WA, very blue collar, so that made it easier for me. I copped a bit of flack initially as I lived in South Yarra.

Who was the coach of Footscray when you first arrived?

Royce Hart, but part of the way through 1982 he was sacked & replaced by Bluey Hampshire. It was a difficult season in 1982, Kelvin Templeton’s knee was sore, we had many younger players, but as the season progressed I started to find my feet & ended kicking 82 goals.

Do you remember you debut for Footscray?

It was awful; we lost by 138 points to Essendon at Windy Hill.

1984 saw Mick Malthouse arrive as senior coach. Is it true he thought you couldn’t play in the rain & dropped you whenever it got wet?

That’s a bit of an urban myth to be honest. It happened once when we played Essendon at the Western Oval. Both sides managed to kick 3 goals including a late one by Peter Bradbury for Essendon which won them the game.

There was another wet game in 1984, where we played Collingwood at the Western Oval. Do you remember it?

How could I forget it? Gubby Allen was awarded a free kick in the back pocket in front of the John Gent stand. I expected him to kick along the boundary line as Collingwood led by a point at the time. For some reason he decided to kick across the ground to my opponent, Greg Phillips. Gubby kicked it a little like a wedge shot in golf. It just seemed to hang in the air & I ran backwards & collided with Greg Phillips as the ball arrived. I managed to hold onto the mark, went back & kicked the goal. It was a great feeling!

How close were you & Les ‘Lally’ Bamblett?

Very close. Where I grew up in WA, many of my friends were aboriginal children. Lally was shy, but we had a strong report. I used to take him home from training to his home in Collingwood.

Is it true Lally was partial to McDonald’s?

Yes, on Thursday’s after training I’d drop him off at the McDonalds in Collingwood & he’d make his own way home from there.

Gee Lally was good in 1985!

Yes, his strength was his electrifying pace, even tho he was heavy. Unfortunately he burst his appendix in 1985 & whilst he returned to play that season, he just wasn’t the same.

Speaking of 1985, that season saw you kick 105 goals for the season. You brought up the ton against North Melbourne in a final.

That’s right. I took a pack mark in the third quarter. It was a great moment personally, but more importantly we won the game. Hawk was on fire that day.

Then the following week we lost by 10 points to Hawthorn in the Preliminary Final.

It was such a shame. We had struggled with Hawthorn that year, much the same as Essendon had struggled with us. Leigh Matthews had this never say die attitude & was able to impose his will on the game when it counted with a couple of late goals, which enable the Hawks to claim a 10 point victory.

Were you as critical of Brad Hardie as some that day?

No, Brad had played really well all day, maybe in hindsight Brian Cordy might have been a better match up.

You had a shot for goal after the siren against the Brisbane Bears at Cararra. Take me through it.

I had marked the ball on an extremely acute angle on the wrong side for a right footer. The siren sounded & we were 2 points down. It was incredibly dark, tho the TV doesn’t show that. The crowd had spilt onto the ground & to make matters worse the Bears decided to be creative & instead of a man on the mark, they created a human pyramid, with my old Swan Districts team mate Mark Richardson perched at the top. The league changed the rules after that, banning players from climbing atop their team mates on the mark. After all that I missed & we lost by a point.

When did you retire?

July 1989. I’d had a good innings at Swans & Footscray, but my back was just too sore to go on.

Were you ever reported?

Yes twice, for striking Barry Stoneham of Geelong & Scott Clayton of Fitzroy, but was cleared both times.

Who were some of the better players you played with?

• Doug Hawkins – The most brilliant player I played with by a long way. His skill level was unparalleled, particularly when under pressure.
• Brian Royal – A real terrier. Very unselfish & terrific in & under.
• Steve Wallis – He was only young but had a big heart, very dependable one on one.
• Andrew Purser – A man mountain who led our ruck brigade. Ben Hudson reminds me a bit of Polly, similar work ethic.

What about those you played against?

• Rod Carter – He was all over you, physically intimidating, just hard to compete against.
• Kelvin Moore – Very athletic & strong defensive skills.
• Gary Malarkey – A rock of Gibraltar. Very dependable & held his ground.
• Chris Langford – One of the younger brigade to come through. Quickest of all the full backs I played on.

Did you ever play on Rick Kennedy in match practice?

Yes, unfortunately. Kennedy loved to play on me because he was a pincher. It used to drive me mad, he’d just do whatever it took, including pinching.

Full forward in the club’s Team of the century. Must have been a huge honour?

Yes very much so, it was a great honour to have bestowed upon me, particularly when you look at quality of players in that team.

The plane trip in 1985?

Ah, yes, there’s no doubt a few of the boys mucked around, but quite frankly it was blown out of all proportion in my view. I reckon the staff from Qantas over reacted so we had to go into damage control. When Robert Groenewegen got onto one of the speaker phones & advised that he was the Captain & we were about to crash, it upset the staff more than anyone. Most of the passengers were asleep & those who were awake knew it was just a bit of fun.

Do you still attend the footy?

Yes, I have 3 children, 18 & 17 year old daughters & a 13 year old son. My eldest daughter & son love the footy & we regularly attend Bulldogs games.

Does your son play footy?

Yes, he’s in year 8 at Geelong College & represents the school as well as his local club in Glen iris on weekends.

How do you see the Bulldogs ending up this season?

I can’t see why we won’t finish in the top 4. There appears to be a real resolve, they are men on a mission. It’s like were playing this season how we were expected to in 2007.

So since you retired from football, what have you been up to?

I was a stockbroker from 1976 – 2000. After 24 years I felt I needed a change & an opportunity arose in 2001, so I got my bookmakers license. I’ve always loved horse racing, my father raced horses in WA & I loved going to the races at Belmont & Ascot in Perth.

What’s your website?

www.simonbeasley.com.au

Thanks Simon, I really appreciate your time.

It was a pleasure.

* Last January YHF did a write up on Simon. The link is below.

WOOF Profile (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=24117)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Great work as usual TCD.

Simon was one of my heroes as a little kid, I remember running out on VFL Park after the siren one day and making a bee-line straight for The Pieman to get his autograph on my footy record. I felt ten feet tall afterwards.

ledge
12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
His first game at Windy Hill my u17s coach said he would run around the ground naked if simon kicked a goal, Simon took a mark about 20 mtres out and we were celebrating.... he missed!
Didnt kick a goal that day and we had to put up with all our coaches statements about us picking up a dud all the way home.

Sockeye Salmon
12-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I wish we knew about the pinching bit before we did the Ricky Kennedy interview.

Rick, are you still here?

ledge
12-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Unlike Jakovich who was a well known pincher.

aker39
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I had the pleasure of running on to the MCG in 1985 when Simon kicked his 100th goal.
I was in the Ponsford stand and as soon as he kicked we just bolted. Back then it was all about getting to the player, not like now when people go out there and have a kick to kick with their mates.

Great interview TCD.

Did he have anything to say about Des Gleeson???

Chops
12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Craig Kelly was a pincher. Isn't it a type of dog?

I saw Beasley kick 10 in a side that lost by 100+ at Princes Park.

HAB54
12-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Another great interveiw TCD, I love being able to read these.

Doggy-Doo
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Have just read both the Laurie Sandilands and this interview.

Both were great reads, bringing back some fantastic memories.

Great questions - good substance - much appreciated.

dogs_r_barking
12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Great interview TCD - I hope the players realise that there playing career might be over - but the joy their playing career gave us is not forgotten by many of us grateful fans.:)

1eyedog
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Great interview, I loved Simon Beasley, did I say I loved Simon Beasley?

Simon Beasley was great, I loved him.

DOG GOD
13-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Simon Beasley was the reason i chose to barrack for the dogs...loved his hair :D

1eyedog
13-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Simon Beasley was the reason i chose to barrack for the dogs...loved his hair :D

I also assume the hair thing is why you got into Stanley and KISS?;)

Bumper Bulldogs
13-05-2008, 08:22 PM
A very good interview, I to will never forget the mark he took against Collingwood and then the goal.

That was one of the best times of my life and the only thing better would have been Beeza on the day.

Super 27
13-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks TCD....i am loving these interviews...keep them coming.

Dog Pound
13-05-2008, 08:59 PM
TCD thanks for the interviews, but your questions need work. They are enjoyable but not very insightful

Mofra
13-05-2008, 09:32 PM
TCD thanks for the interviews, but your questions need work. They are enjoyable but not very insightful
This is the funniest thing I've read all week, thanks jerry :D

strebla
14-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Great interview TCD did i ever tell you it was Simon Beasley who made me a Bulldoge for life
One thing though i remember him kicking 8 in the wet at the MCG and the story goes that Malthhouse tested him before the game by throwing the footy to him under the shower would like to know if that was true.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Enjoyable read TCD - never saw him play but Simon is obviously held in very high regard by all those who did.

Interesting tidbit that he was suspended for striking our current Recruiting Manager, Scotty Clayton!

Desipura
14-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Great interview TCD did i ever tell you it was Simon Beasley who made me a Bulldoge for life
One thing though i remember him kicking 8 in the wet at the MCG and the story goes that Malthhouse tested him before the game by throwing the footy to him under the shower would like to know if that was true.

Probably not a good idea to bend down in the shower

The Coon Dog
14-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Interesting tidbit that he was suspended for striking our current Recruiting Manages, Scotty Clayton!
Got cleared, so not suspended.

EJ Smith
14-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Interesting tidbit that he was suspended for striking our current Recruiting Manages, Scotty Clayton!

Scotty probably told him he had no upside!

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Enjoyable read TCD - never saw him play but Simon is obviously held in very high regard by all those who did.

6' 5" and skinny as Cam Wight 3 years ago. Had the finest of fine blond hair that looked like his last 3 wisps would blow off. He could barely pick up the ball off the ground, rarely tackled, shepharded or handballed. He was absolutely a one-position player.

He wasn't particularily strong overhead, nor was he particularily skillful.

In short he was no good except for one thing - he kicked more goals than any other player in the history of our footy club.

It's just got me buggered how.

bornadog
14-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Loved watching beasa in the 1980's especially 1985, didn't miss a match and still have all the video highlights.

Beasa kicked some big bags for us and 8 and 9 goals was a regular for him. 12 gainst Richmond at VFL park was a beauty. I can't imagine any one doing that these days, maybe Buddy has the potential.

Topdog
14-05-2008, 01:37 PM
One of my first memories as a Bulldogs supporter is that Brisbane game. The infamous pyramid. And I disagree with Mr. Beasley, the TV showed it was plenty dark.

Ozza
14-05-2008, 02:43 PM
6' 5" and skinny as Cam Wight 3 years ago. Had the finest of fine blond hair that looked like his last 3 wisps would blow off. He could barely pick up the ball off the ground, rarely tackled, shepharded or handballed. He was absolutely a one-position player.

He wasn't particularily strong overhead, nor was he particularily skillful.

In short he was no good except for one thing - he kicked more goals than any other player in the history of our footy club.

It's just got me buggered how.

From the footage I have seen Simon the Pieman was pretty strong body on body, read the play well and never ever missed on set shots. Straighest kick for goal ever seen. I only saw a season or two of him live - but have the 85 North final on VHS.

Sockeye Salmon
14-05-2008, 03:06 PM
From the footage I have seen Simon the Pieman was pretty strong body on body, read the play well and never ever missed on set shots. Straighest kick for goal ever seen. I only saw a season or two of him live - but have the 85 North final on VHS.

I was been facetious.

Beasley certainly didn't look like a footballer but he was an excellent lead, had good hands and as you say, was just about the straightest kick you'd see.

While he didn't take many pack marks he was very good one on one and used his body and long arms well.

The Dogs Bollocks
14-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Great read.

Keep them coming!!

Go_Dogs
15-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I was been facetious.

Beasley certainly didn't look like a footballer but he was an excellent lead, had good hands and as you say, was just about the straightest kick you'd see.

While he didn't take many pack marks he was very good one on one and used his body and long arms well.

Perhaps he could be a good person to impart some advice onto Cam Wight then? Although by the info presented here Beasley had better core strength.

Thanks TCD - can anyone recall the incident with Clayton and what exactly transpired? Never knew much about Clayton as a footballer either - what was he like?

Sockeye Salmon
15-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Perhaps he could be a good person to impart some advice onto Cam Wight then? Although by the info presented here Beasley had better core strength.

Thanks TCD - can anyone recall the incident with Clayton and what exactly transpired? Never knew much about Clayton as a footballer either - what was he like?

Tough HBF. Not heaps of skill but had a dip. He ended up playing over 150 games for Fitzroy. He was very much a negating type who rarely got much of the ball.

His last season was 89 and it was his best season by a long way - averaging over 20 touches/game.

He got 37 touches and a Brownlow vote in his last game.

The Coon Dog
15-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Never knew much about Clayton as a footballer either - what was he like?

Wore number 40 throughout his career if I recall rightly.

Came from Tassie originally. Was a tagger, but got his own ball. Won Fitzroy's B&F in 1990.

The Pie Man
02-06-2008, 08:47 PM
The Pieman was indirectly the cause of much pain to my old man's privates one day at th Western Oval. Let me explain (this is funny.....well at least my mates & think so)

Late 80's, we're playing Carlton. We've assumed our usual spot about 10 metres in front of the scoreboard, and a young Silvagni is playing on Beasley. He's all over him, and this old Carlton bloke is giving it to Simon, and my old man (with his bald head bearing some resemblance to Beeza) couldn't take it, and started giving it to Silvagni. It went back and forth, with something like 'Beasley's finished he's useless' being the last thing we heard him say for the day. My old man, at his witty best, retorts 'Silvagni? ......... Silvagni's a c..t' Little Carlton bloke took one step back, two quick ones forward and SLAM, slipper to Dad's groin. I was nudging 10 and standing there sheeting myself - the bloke moved away from the scene never to be seen again, and in the following weeks, a nagging pain remained in Dad's ...well you know. Went to the doctor, turned out something there was potentially cancerous and needed removing, and this could have potentially brought it forward.

P.ss funny to look back on - I loved Beasley.

JimmySewell
18-06-2008, 10:14 PM

Geez, Gerry ! Your hard to please mate ! Maybe you should track the players down and do the interviews yourself and we can all judge you on your performances then !

JimmySewell
18-06-2008, 10:18 PM
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/852/beaserpl2.jpg

With bizzas appeaarance, he always reminded me of the professor out of back to the future , with his blonde, puffy hair ! lol !

phroosh
29-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Great work.

I loved Simon Beasley. On my ninth birthday my parents actually put "Dear Beasley" on my card.

bornadog
27-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Bump

Was on SEN today in the special profile segment where they interview past Champions.

Interesting to hear that he kicked the most goals of any player for the whole of the 1980's.

He is a real champ of our club.

Lally
27-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Great nostalgic interview on SEN. Captain Gronewagon, the run at the flag in 85....and more. Great stuff

westdog54
27-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Bump

Was on SEN today in the special profile segment where they interview past Champions.

Interesting to hear that he kicked the most goals of any player for the whole of the 1980's.

Really? Interesting, you learn something new every day.

Twodogs
28-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Bump

Links:

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Jesaulenko-You-Beauty---Part-1/5700

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Jesaulenko-You-Beauty---Part-2/5701

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Jesaulenko-You-Beauty---Part-3/5702

KT31
28-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Bump

Not just the club but the league.

Greystache
28-08-2012, 11:37 AM

It's actually a trivia question under the lid of Carlton Draught bottles.

bornadog
28-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Not just the club but the league.

Correct

mighty_west
30-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Great player, my favourite game of his was against Geelong at Whitten oval where he tore Flannigan a new one kicking 12 goals in 82, Flannigan literally smashed the back of his scone every marking attempt, didn't stop Beaser!

merantau
02-06-2015, 11:57 PM
Loved the interview. Simon was a wonderful player and it was a privilege to witness his career with the Dogs. I saw his first game at Windy Hill. Who would've thought, after a start like that, that he would go on to become a champion? I saw him kick 12 against Geelong - a great performance. But there were many great performances by the Pieman. Thanks Simon, you were a great player for us.

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 02:48 AM
That was an ugly start at Windy Hill that day.