PDA

View Full Version : Interview With Doug Hawkins

The Coon Dog
01-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Doug Hawkins – Western Bulldogs 1978-1994, 329 games, 216 goals – Fitzroy 1995, 21 games, 11 goals.

Captain 1990-1994
Best & Fairest 1985
Team of the Century Vice Captain
Club games record holder (until Chris Grant broke it)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9417/8412mc3.jpg

TCD: G’day Hawk & thanks so much for your time.

DH: Not a problem buddy.

Now everyone knows you grew up in Braybrook & played your junior football there. Pretty successful time there.

Yes it was. Won 6 flags in 8 seasons there.

Very successful club too, given the number of very good players who went on to play VFL football.

EJ, Wally Donald, Georgie Bissett & myself, all in the Western Bulldogs ‘Team of the Century’. Not a bad effort for a suburban club, no other club in Australia even comes close. Captain & Vice Captain of the Team of the Century!

Who did you barrack for as a kid?

I used to love Keith Grieg of North Melbourne. Matter of fact I even wore the white ankle guards at Braybrook. I also loved EJ.

You were zoned to Footscray. What did it take to convince you to go there?

A yellow Gemini! Laughs. The engine was gone, conked out after 3 months so they then gave me a green ‘Sandman’ panel van.

I nearly didn’t go to Footscray you know.

No I didn’t, what happened there?

Oberon Pirek was at South Melbourne & he took me to a few functions & games at the Lake Oval. I applied for a clearance but Footscray wouldn’t have a bar of it.

I didn’t know that.

Not many people do.

Now, you got to the club in 1978. Who was the coach?

Billy Goggin was there, but he only lasted 1 game & resigned. I didn’t find out why until recently. Without his knowledge the club sold Dennis Collins to Carlton. He couldn’t work with people who wouldn’t even discuss with him matters that affected him directly.

You had a number of coaches. Don McKenzie, Royce Hart, Bluey Hampshire, Mick Malthouse, Terry Wheeler & Alan Joyce. Who stood out & why?

It’s funny, when Bluey took over from Royce he knew all my little tricks so I couldn’t get away with them anymore, but the 2 that really stood out for me were Mick & Wheels. Mick got the absolute best out of you & Wheels was always thinking of new things. I was shattered when Wheels got the arse.

You also nearly went elsewhere at the end of 1983 didn’t you?

Yes, I had some friends who were high up in the Essendonian’s & they arranged for me to meet with Kevin Sheedy. I was nearly gone but Mick Malthouse turned up, told me I’d been there through the tough times & we were going all out & recruiting some good players. He asked how I’d feel if I left & we had success. I stayed, what happens? Essendon win back to back flags in 84-85. They also won another in 93, so I could have been a triple premiership player.

Was 1985 your best season as a player?

Yes. It was the only season I won the Best & Fairest. I’d been pipped by 1 vote in 1984 by Andrew Purser. I remember Steve Wallis was leading the count as we came to the finals. I had a pretty good final series in 1985 & got over the line.

Do you remember a pass to Jim Edmond against North Melbourne at the MCG during that finals series?

Yes, I played a nice one two with my good mate Robert Groenewegen to get around Ross Glendinning & speared a pass to Jock about 35 metres out. The ball just seemed to follow me that day, I couldn’t do anything wrong.

You must have been shattered the following week losing to Hawthorn by 10 points in the Preliminary Final?

It was gut wrenching. As soon as we lost I knew Essendon would towel up Hawthorn in the Grand Final. We had the skill to match Essendon. I really believe we would have beaten them.

1986 didn’t go to plan did it?

No, our captain Jim Edmond was at loggerheads over a relatively small amount of money. Jim ended up signing for Sydney after Dr. Geoffrey Eddleston came waving his chequebook. I don’t know why the club didn’t just pay Jim what he was after.

That’s not all that went wrong in 1986, was it?

No, we were playing Collingwood at the MCG & 2 minutes in I was trying to lose my tag for the day, Darren Gayfer & chased after Darren Millane when I collided with Tony Shaw. He fell across me & I did my knee. It was a very hard time for me emotionally. I wasn’t sure I was ever going to play again & it was all I knew. I had a goretex fibre inserted. Much like Malceski at Sydney.

Do you remember your comeback game?

Yes, it was against West Coast at the Whitten Oval. Mick had made me play 4 or 5 games in the reserves. Fair dinkum I looked like ‘Haystacks Calhoun’. I’d been in a good paddock. There wasn’t the rehab in those days they have now. Anyhow I started on the bench & my great mate Super MacPherson was lining up for goal when I came out of the dug out. The crowd went wild. Super thought it was for him. Laughs.

Who were some of the better players you played with?

• Kelvin Templeton – His 1980 season was as good as you’d ever want to see. He was exceptional in a poor side.
• Brad Hardie – He just read the play so well.
• Brian Royal – Just a ripper. 10 years & he was in the top 3 in the B&F every year.
• Steve Wallis – A glaring omission from the TOC in my opinion.
• Peter Foster – Rarely beaten & had the wood on Dermott Brereton.
• Stephen MacPherson – Had lots of tricks & never took a backwards step.

What about opposition players?

• Gary Ablett – Just a freak.
• Keith Greig – His balance.
• Schimma – Never gave up.
• Mick Turner & Ricky Barham – Couldn’t catch them.
• Dipper – Unpredictable
• Geoff Cunningham & Merv Neagle – Tough.
• David Glascott – Ran all day.
• Dunstall, Lockett, Blight, Carey.

So, would you ever do a parachute jump again?

No way! I had to be pushed out. I hate small planes & I hate the ocean, sharks.

Why did you end up at Fitzroy?

Alan Joyce was the coach & he wanted me to retire. I just loved playing footy & felt I could play another season. I met with John Birt & was good mates with Bernie Quinlan. Also Axe was there.

Do you remember playing against the Bulldogs?

Yes. The ball got bounced & Matthew Dent cleaned me up. He was psycho, good nickname too, psycho chicken. Matter of fact I kicked the first goal of the game, but it felt weird.

What number did you wear at Fitzroy?

Number 3, after EJ.

Was Ted glad it was you who broke his games record for the club?

No, Ted didn’t want anyone to break his record! Laughs. He said to me, someday someone will break your record too & it’s a privilege that it’s you breaking mine. We played Geelong that day & Ablett cleaned up Rohan Smith. I got a Brownlow vote that day too.

You were on The Footy Show the night word came through that Ted has passed away.

Yes, during a break Eddie got the news & told us. If it had been earlier there wouldn’t have been a show that night.

You weren’t very happy with Peter Rohde’s appointment as coach were you?

No, I felt Chocco should have got the gig. David Smorgon told me Peter Rohde had a great Power Point Presentation. What’s a Power Point Presentation?

Do you watch much of the Bulldogs these days?

No, I’m usually coaching my son’s footy team, but if I can’t go I make sure I watch it on Foxtel.

Who impresses you at the Bulldogs?

• Adam Cooney – He just goes past people like they’re standing still.
• Aker – He uses the ball well, but it’s his decision making that sets him apart.
• Ryan Griffen – He is some player!
• Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd & Dale Morris – Gee they just work so hard.
• Ben Hudson – Been a great recruit, should have been a Bulldog from day 1.

You’ve got a lovely wife & 3 children, still live in Bacchus Marsh?

Yes, Raels, honey, darl, & my 2 daughters Leah &Toni & my son Ricky.

Do they follow the Dogs?

Yes & no, The oldest girl Leah (18) has a soft spot for Essendon, the youngest girl Toni (16) is a Bulldog who loves Shaun Higgins & Ricky (14) likes Geelong, particularly Gary Ablett Jnr.

Thanks for your time Doug, it’s been a pleasure.

No worries.

hujsh
02-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Good interview TCD.

Find that Powerpoint presentation thing funny.

Twodogs
02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Fantastic stuff TCD.

I remember Doug coming back from his knee playing in the reserves alongside Ronnie James. They would both line up on the same wing and the full back would kick it in their direction every time. I'd change from wing to wing just to watch them up close. It's the only time I've shifted positions during the reserves and I wasnt alone. Most of the crowd was moving from wing to wing during the breaks.

The Pie Man
02-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Good interview TCD.

Find that Powerpoint presentation thing funny.

That's hilarious - that and 'Ben Hudson Been a great recruit, should have been a Bulldog from day 1.' So true, and again, Peter Rhode at fault for this not happening.

Fantastic interview TCD (as per usual)

Interesting to think of Royal as coach, he may still be there as it'd be impossible to flop as hard as we did under Rhode - I wonder what it would've been like.....

Sedat
02-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Interesting to think of Royal as coach, he may still be there as it'd be impossible to flop as hard as we did under Rhode - I wonder what it would've been like.....
All this fawning over an untried like Voss and there is a quality assiastant who has seen everything there is from a number of different clubs over a 12 year assistant coaching career. I hope Choco gets his chance with a main AFL coaching gig somewhere, but he'll need a better PR manager :rolleyes:

1eyedog
02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
:D yellow Gemini and a Sandman, that's gold and brings back the early years of football negotiation for sure. Great interview TCD I can almost hear Doug speaking as I read the words.

I grew up in Geelong and I remember watching Geelong vs Footscray at Kardinia Park. We were getting flogged and after a Geelong goal the ball must of bounced off the advertisement board behind the goals and Doug caught it on the full with a boot sending it up to us in the middle section of the R.J Hickey stand. The ball deflected off one of the stands support beams and landed 2 seats away from me. That ball never returned to the field of play. My uncle still has the ball and says he'll leave it to me when he dies. I thought it was mean at the time that he didn't give it to a 10 year old kid, but in hindsight I wouldn't pass it on either.

Scraggers
02-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for chasing this interview up TCD.

I was a huge fan of Dougies when i was young; and even though my Dad was a Bulldog supporter, I think it was the fact that Dougie was so exciting to watch, that turned me into a fence sitter to a True Bulldog supporter (mind you, iwas six at the time).

I was there the day he did his knee, and I was there the day he came back to senior footy ... I think I cried both days.

Dougie was always great with the supporters as well, I remember asking him to sign my autograph book out the front of the changerooms one day, he whisked me past security, took me into the changerooms and i got the whole teams autograph ... great footballer, great guy

craigsahibee
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
How good would Doug be in today's footy environment?

I think the nearest comparison to him out of today's players would be Luke Hodge, however I reckon Doug was better overhead than Hodge is.

Twodogs
02-07-2008, 01:58 PM

I think the nearest comparison to him out of today's players would be Luke Hodge, however I reckon Doug was better overhead than Hodge is.

He was born to play footy the way it's played today. Dunno how much of the gameplan(s) details and set plays would stick in his mind though.

Interesting comparasion with Hodge, Hodge would have him for physicallity but Doug (Hawk was no shrinking violet though) would be better in every other aspect. Every now and then Gilbee does something that reminds me of Doug, especially his kicking style and balance.

craigsahibee
02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;45730]He was born to play footy the way it's played today. Dunno how much of the gameplan(s) details and set plays would stick in his mind though.
QUOTE]

Surely he couldn't get this game plan wrong.

"Gilbee, you kick out from full back to Hawk. Hawk you mark it and hit a leading forward on the chest, either foot, it doesn't matter. Forward, you kick a goal."

1eyedog
02-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Doug had much better awareness than Hodge does in heavy traffic and he was able to get out of almost any situation

The Coon Dog
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Doug used to do something so effortlessley, which you don't see nowdays. That was the ability to pick the ball up one handed at pace whilst bending down, didn't need to stop to collect it, just glided up to the ball & whisked it off the sodden turf.

EJ Smith
02-07-2008, 04:24 PM
That was probably the best example of his skill. Tends not to happen nowadays as the grounds are in much better condition. The ball tends not to plug like a nine iron into a bunker.

HAB54
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Great inteveiw. Doug Hawkins was always my favourite player during his playing days, I still wish he could have plyed his entire career with us tough.

The Pie Man
02-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Doug used to do something so effortlessley, which you don't see nowdays. That was the ability to pick the ball up one handed at pace whilst bending down, didn't need to stop to collect it, just glided up to the ball & whisked it off the sodden turf.

That was always great to watch - the hallmark of a 'natural footballer' as my old man would say.

Hawkins has a Hodge covered for both sides of the body, his left was almost as good as the right. Leon Cameron still the best I've seen - Aka is damn good.

I was 8 when he did his knee, standing up in the old Southern Stand - anyone remember they had tiered standing room in one of the upper sections?

beaser
03-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Doug Hawkins was just copybook skills. Some of his passes to Simon Beasley must have knocked the wind out of him. His footwork and balance was a pleasure to watch. I remember when he came onto the ground against West Coast in his comeback, it was one of my greatest Western/ Whitten oval moments.

ledge
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
The Hawk used to go out with a girl who lived next to one of my best friends, Roll up in his sandman while we were playing road cricket, we always said hello whenever we saw him.
The Braybrook joke was that he would have fathered half of Braybrook in 10 years time.

Caught up with him at the Marsh hospital when Raelene was having his second child and my wife was having her first, always came across as a good bloke and was happy to talk to me about life in general.
I remember Raelene trying to spend as much time in hospital as she could after the birth, because she said she got to rest and wanted to take advantage of it.

Raelene always checked on my son in his crib when he was born as she knew it was my wifes first and experience always helps.
A little story for my son to tell his kids in the future.

minson27
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Ben Hudson Been a great recruit, should have been a Bulldog from day 1.[/B][/B]

Couldnt agree anymore Dougie.

Thanks for posting that TCD, was agreat read.

Sockeye Salmon
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Doug and I had a mutual friend who set up a lunch for the three of us. The friend barracked for Carlton (despite coming from Braybrook) so Hawk and I spent the entire lunch discussing the Dogs.

He was still on TFS in those days and was perfectly aware that he only had one joke (his speech) and that the time was close when his time on TV would be over.

He was a lot quieter and more humble than I expected.

bornadog
03-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Brilliant player and one of the all time best, saw most of his games from the year he started playing.

1985 does stick in the memory, he was just unbelievable that year. One of the great battles was between him and Dipper and it continued in the 1985 prelim final, along the wings.

The Hawkins wing at Whitten Oval was named as such because Malthouse decided to keep him on the same wing every quarter and not switch around. He owned that wing and was never ever beaten.

gohardorgohome
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
"Kennedy kicks out from Full Back to the Gordon St Wing........... Douggie Hawkins bodies out his opponent and takes a one handed mark...........plays on...........kicks in lace out to his teammate up field........"

How many times did that happen?????

He was very very good...

The Coon Dog
03-07-2008, 05:57 PM
"Kennedy kicks out from Full Back to the Gordon St Wing........... Douggie Hawkins bodies out his opponent and takes a one handed mark...........plays on...........kicks in lace out to his teammate up field........"

How many times did that happen?????

He was very very good...

The beauty of what you said is that it's very easy to picture it in your mind. Gee it happened alot.

The Dogs Bollocks
03-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Tanks again.

One of the best yet!

hujsh
03-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Tanks again.

One of the best yet!

Is that you Libba:D