PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Kelvin Templeton

The Coon Dog
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Kelvin Templeton – Footscray 1974-1982, 143 games & 494 goals – Melbourne 1983-85, 34 games & 99 goals.

1980 Brownlow Medal
1978 & 1979 VFL Leading Goalkicker (118 goals & 91 goals)
1978 & 1980 Best & Fairest
Centre Half Forward – Team of the Century

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/images/KTempletonFoot.jpg

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2007/07/12/wbFOOTSCRAYtemplestowe_gallery__287x400.jpg

TCD: Kelvin, thank you so much for your time, I know you’re very busy, so I really do appreciate you talking to me.

KT: You’re most welcome.

As a child, which VFL team did you support?

Melbourne.

When did you leave Traralgon & fist play for Footscray?

1974. I played the first 2 games in the reserves & made my debut against Collingwood at Victoria Park in round 3.

How did you go in your debut?

It was a draw & I kicked 6 goals.

Footscray made the finals in 1974. From memory you made way to fit Laurie Sandilands into the team.

Yes, I was disappointed to be dropped for the Elimination Final particularly as I had kicked 5 goals against Richmond in round 22.

In 1978 you kicked 15goals & 9 behinds against St.Kilda including 8 goals in the last quarter. Was that the best quarter you played?

No, by that stage St.Kilda had fallen away alarmingly, our midfield was right on top, so the ball was coming down relentlesly. I was a bit fortunate & I kicked straight too. 8 goals & no behinds, but in 1980 I played better quarters of total football.

1980, some former players say it was the best season of football they had ever seen from an individual.

A few things happened in 1980. I had a fantastic pre season & was at my peak physically. I fely very, very confident & enjoyed the challenge of playing on the likes of Bruce Doull, Ross Glendinning & Peter Knights.

After 3-4 rounds Royce Hart moved me from full forward out to centre half forward which suited me as I played all my junior football there. Royce also gave me the lisence to raom where & whenever, so I ofter wondered up to the centre line & on occassions into the back line. I also did much of the ruckwork in the forward line.

Were you the favourite heading into the Brownlow medal?

Yes, I had won a number of the media awards that season, but it was a little reserved as no one playing my position had won the Brownlow Medal upto then.

When did you injure your knee?

It was in a pre season game against Melbourne at VFL Park & in the final seconds of the game I bent down to pick up the ball & a Melbourne player dived kamikaze style & took my legs out. I was still on the ground as the final siren sounded.

I was shattered as I had just come off my best season & was in excellent shape at 24 years of age.

Who were some of the better players you played with at the Bulldogs?

* Terry Wheeler – Just his toughness & tenacity.
* Doug Hawkins – He was a brilliant player who could read the play so well & had exceptional delivery skills.
* Laurie Sandilands – A very strong Captain & leader.
* Bernie Quinlan – His athleticism, skills & ability.

What about opposition player?

* Neale Daniher – A tough competitor.
* Ross Glendinning – Strong, skillful & a fantastic athlete.
* David Dench – As a 17 year old I was taught a lesson! He ran off & even kicked goals from full back.

What prompted the move to Melbourne in 1983?

I had been at Footscray for 9 years & I felt the prospects were bleak. I knew with the injuries I had sustained I didn’t have a long time left & I thought Melbourne were on the way up. It was a very tough decision & hugely unpopular with the supporters too, there was a lot of ill feeling at the time.

Peter Moore & I had to challenge the VFL rules at the time. The lawyer we engaged subsequently became the VFL’s lawyer so the rukes were then changed as they allowed very little freedom. It was a positive benefit & highlighted that the rules were in dire need of change.

When did you go to Sydney?

I became the CEO in 1995 through to 2002, prior to that I was a part time assistant coach under Tom Hafey.

Where are you living these days?

In Adu Dabi in the United Arab Emirates, so you were fortunate to catch a hold of me.

Do you keep in touch with the AFL from abroad?

Yes, with cable we get to watch matches & I must say that the Western Bulldogs & Sydney for that matter are very good at keeping in touch. In August I’ll be in Melbourne & hope to get to watch the Bulldogs whilst I’m there.

Before I let you go, & again thank you so much for your time, what stand out as highlights in your career?

The Brownlow Medal, I’m sure if I got to play in a Premiership that would take precedence, but I didn’t unfortunately. Another highlight was being selected in the Western Bulldogs Team of the Century.

* Kelvin was very generous with his time, given his busy schedule.

1eyedog
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Well done TCD. You managed to put this up in amazing time too! Thanks for keeping me informed regarding the interview. Is there an eerie sequence here, barracked for Melbourne, did his knee against Melbourne and finally went to Melbourne. Kicking 5 goals in round 22 and being dropped was a bit tough, surely you play a guy who kicks 5 along with Sandilands. I wasn't at the match where he kicked 15 against St.Kilda but I did get to run out on the ground after his 100th in 1978 as an 8 year old. Simply a fantastic player to watch.

muttley3028
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Top Shelf TCD Really appreciate the effort you go to for these I can imagine how difficult it must be to tracking the past players down.

craigsahibee
04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
That season of his in 1980 was something special.

The first key forward to win the Brownlow. All footy followers were robbed of a true champion when Kelvin went down with his knee.

Thanks TCD. Great work.

Sockeye Salmon
04-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Now that's a good get, Baz. Well done.

Kicking 5 goals in round 22 and being dropped was a bit tough, surely you play a guy who kicks 5 along with Sandilands.

With the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure Bob Rose would have loved to have had Templeton in the side (or would he, seeing we were playing Collingwood?). Sandilands was club captain who won our goalkicking 4 times (72-75).

As it turned out, Peter McKenna kicked a bag on Gary Merrington. Templeton to FF and Sandilands back onto McKenna would have been desirable.

1eyedog
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Interesting points SS.

Look at that black and white photo, he had a wonderful goal kicking action.

bornadog
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
That season of his in 1980 was something special.

The first key forward to win the Brownlow. All footy followers were robbed of a true champion when Kelvin went down with his knee.

Thanks TCD. Great work.

Yes watching Kelvin in 1980 was the only highlight of the year. We lost the first 11 games of the season and finished up only winning 5 for the season, but he was just so dominant that year. The only good decision Royce Hart made.

One of the greatest forwards to ever play the game and could have been anything but for the damn knee. To this day, I hate watching the preseason games as I remember watching the moment Kelvin went down.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/image008.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/untitled-2.jpg

bornadog
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/bwscoreboard.jpg

The Coon Dog
04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
http://fnwb.com.au/img/scoreboard.jpg

This photo was take the next day. Check out KT's boots!! :D

muttley3028
04-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Brings a tear to the eye to see the ol' scoreboard

HAB54
04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Yet another great interveiw.

ledge
04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
TCD i remind you again that day will forever be a thorn in my side, the bloody pollywoodside!!!

The Coon Dog
04-07-2008, 04:36 PM
TCD i remind you again that day will forever be a thorn in my side, the bloody pollywoodside!!!

Funny, I've never been to see the Polly Woodside.

ledge
04-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Maybe i will get you a free ticket grand final day.

Sedat
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
How good might we have been with Beaser at FF and Kelvin at CHF for the majority of the 80's....both were only mid 20's when they played together in 1982.....(wistfully stares into the distance)

Templeton is the sole reason I barrack for the Dogs. I was obsessed as a kid. Absolutelty shattered when he left the club.

1eyedog
04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
How good might we have been with Beaser at FF and Kelvin at CHF for the majority of the 80's....both were only mid 20's when they played together in 1982.....(wistfully stares into the distance)

Templeton is the sole reason I barrack for the Dogs. I was obsessed as a kid. Absolutelty shattered when he left the club.

x2 Dad invited me into the Bulldog fold, but Kelvin made me stay

Pembleton
08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
My Aunt adored Kelvin. When i was born (in late 1980) she gave me a Dogs jumper with number 31 on it. It was not a baby sized jumper though, and by the time i could fit into it, Phil Krakouer was wearing 31, so i didn't wear it to games much (only once i think).

Great work TCD.

LostDogHome
08-07-2008, 06:58 PM
I was lucky enough to be there for both the St Kilda match and also ran onto the ground when he kicked his 100th. I jumped so high when he won the brownlow I fell off the couch and 31 is still one of my lucky number today.

1eyedog
08-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I was lucky enough to be there for both the St Kilda match and also ran onto the ground when he kicked his 100th. I jumped so high when he won the brownlow I fell off the couch and 31 is still one of my lucky number today.

Mine too

Twodogs
09-07-2008, 03:57 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/bwscoreboard.jpg

Have a look at Bluey Hampshire making sure no-one gets close enough to Kelvin to do any damage. That look on his face could kill a man at 30 paces.

[/QUOTE]

Mine too

craigsahibee
10-07-2008, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;46424]Have a look at Bluey Hampshire making sure no-one gets close enough to Kelvin to do any damage. That look on his face could kill a man at 30 paces.

Was described as having a head like a medieval helmet on this very forum.

GOLD:)

1eyedog
11-07-2008, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;46424]Have a look at Bluey Hampshire making sure no-one gets close enough to Kelvin to do any damage. That look on his face could kill a man at 30 paces.

Was described as having a head like a medieval helmet on this very forum.

GOLD:)

Glad you liked the analogy

The Dogs Bollocks
29-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Great read.
Thanks TCD