PDA

View Full Version : Brendan Fevola

LostDoggy
04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
If you missed the Footy Show last night,

"Hutchy" broke a story about Fev and how he has spoken to Sydney about signing a deal with them as negotiations with Carlton are at a stand still.

Which reminded me of our name thrown up in the air last year to take him..

I wouldnt say No to having Fevalinko at our club, he kicks big goals and at the moment is scandal-free..We have shown picking up someone at a later age (AKER) is not always a bad thing..

I would take Fev over Cousins any day, as that tall-enough FF to take over when Johnno moves on. Some would say why not someone younger? If we're getting a flag anytime soon he would come in real handy.

Thoughts? Would you want to see Fevola in our team?

Dry Rot
04-07-2008, 11:38 PM
High risk, high gain I suppose.

But what will we have to give up? Pick 14-16 won't do the job and may be used on Cordy. If it's players, it may mean 2 players of Gilbee standard at least.

Looks pretty costly and high risk to me.

And aren't we near 100% salary cap?

LostDoggy
04-07-2008, 11:42 PM
If he were to stay scandal free, he would be a great addition- I'm just not willing to give up what Carlton would rightfully demand in return. We have a great list at the moment, I don't think we need to keep trading our picks for older players...it'll hurt us in the end.

ledge
04-07-2008, 11:46 PM
If he is out of contract we dont need to trade, do what other clubs do , some sort of sneaky deal and he puts himself in draft.
Great thing at times a player coming out of contract because the player can say trade me to the club i want to go to or i go in the draft and you get nothing.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 12:04 AM
They would want a good pick and say Ray and Higgins, that would suit their youth policy pretty nicely. We would be looking at contesting 3 of the next 5 grand finals with Fev in the square surely.

BulldogBelle
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Quite happy to have Fev onboard - providing we obtain him without handing over any of our promising players.

bornadog
05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Quite happy to have Fev onboard - providing we obtain him without handing over any of our promising players.

or lots of cash:D

Twodogs
05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
or lots of cash:D

We're obliged to pay it to someone.

ledge
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
We're obliged to pay it to someone.

Yes but not at the expense of not having enough to keep other ten year players at the club.
Maybe we should just do what some other teams do, buy him a Mc Donalds and thats how we finance the rest as his own business venture.

Before I Die
05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
We would be looking at contesting 3 of the next 5 grand finals with Fev in the square surely.

What does he bring that we don't already have? We have no shortage of leading forwards at the moment. I would be concerned that we would become Fev centric and stop honouring quality leads from other players. Perhaps in two or three years we will have the need, and that hopefully will be covered by our draft picks.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
What does he bring that we don't already have? We have no shortage of leading forwards at the moment. I would be concerned that we would become Fev centric and stop honouring quality leads from other players. Perhaps in two or three years we will have the need, and that hopefully will be covered by our draft picks.

Nothing really, I reckon we'll contest finals football for the next 3 years anyway. We have a multitude of options up forward, hence we will not be so reliant on him but he will be one more dangerous option (along with Welsh, Aker, Murphy, Higgins) that's a pretty potent set up. Footy experts suggest the jury is still out whether a team can win a Granny minus a power forward, I'm happy to prove them wrong with our current line up. I'm not saying I want Fev at the club but with the quality of our other forwards there would be no need to be 'Fev-centric' and welcome to WOOF, it's a great site.

Before I Die
05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome 1eyedog. I have spent a fair part of today reading through WOOF and echo your thoughts about the quality of the site and the posters. I am very happy to be on board.

Back on topic: I think too many of the "footy experts" suffer from hero worship, and in the case of Brereton and Lyon, self hero worship. No doubt successful forward lines need strong marking targets and quality crumbers in addition to leading targets. They also need good understanding and a quality midfield. I think we tick all boxes, hence our position on the ladder and our heavy scoring. With the new teams coming in we need to recruit kids, kids and more kids.

Of course, post this year's finals I reserve the right to change my mind. :D