PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs can dare to dream

The Coon Dog
05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Western Bulldogs can dare to dream (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23971747-19742,00.html)

Garry Lyon | July 05, 2008

WITH just one loss after 14 games, the Bulldogs are virtually guaranteed a top-four position, with a top-two finish a distinct possibility.

What makes them legitimate contenders is their back half, with a mix of players now capable of handling most forward-line combinations they may confront in September.

Brian Lake is the bedrock. It is a great comfort for Rodney Eade that he can pencil in Lake for the likes of Barry Hall, Cameron Mooney, Jarryd Roughead, Jonathan Brown or Daniel Bradshaw and Brendan Fevola, if the Blues make it.

Tom Williams was the missing piece in the puzzle that has frustrated the Dogs for so long.

All of a sudden they have a match-up for Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Travis Cloke, Ryan O'Keefe and maybe even Steve Johnson.

These roles have been bravely handled by Dale Morris in the past. The fact that he can now go to the opposition's third tall, or most dangerous mid-size, forward, transforms this backline from serviceable to formidable.

Like the Hawks, the Dogs midfield is beautifully balanced.

The silk is provided by Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen, Nathan Eagleton and Farren Ray and the impressive Callan Ward, while the inside grunt work is carried out by two of the best in the business, Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd.

Scott West still has a role to play in this set-up and if can make it back he will have a voracious appetite for the football when finals swing around.

The Bulldogs have the best group of medium-size forwards in the competition.

Robert Murphy and Jason Akermanis are out-and-out stars capable of tearing any defence to shreds.

Scott Welsh is better than average playing out of the square, and relishes the fact that opposition teams are not really sure who the ball is going to be directed through.

If those three are quiet, Brad Johnson is likely to kick five goals. Or Daniel Giansiracusa.

Simply, the Dogs are a very difficult side to plan against because their plethora of forward-line options makes them highly unpredictable.

And with a super-skilled midfield that will hit a leading target 80 per cent of the time, defenders can't drop off their man in the hope of providing some zone coverage.

Mitch Hahn, while not as skilful as the others, is as important as anyone. He is a magnificent competitor. They would hate to lose him.

WHY CAN'T THEY WIN IT?

THE Dogs were the third-highest scoring team in 2006, on the back of an exciting group of mid-size forwards.

They were hard to stop for many of the same reasons they are doing well this year. The question was whether their precise, hit-up-the-leading-forward style would stand up under the pressure of finals.

The Dogs were too quick for the Pies in their first final, but against West Coast at Subiaco the game plan unravelled.

There is no question the 2008 model is an infinitely better Dogs outfit, but the jury is still out as to whether a side can win a premiership without at least one, and preferable two, big, powerful key forwards.

The form of Hahn and, to a lesser extent, Will Minson, suggests that the Dogs will not be left as badly short as they were a couple of years ago.

This midfield is more polished and Murphy and Aker have a touch of genius, so Bulldog fans have cause for great optimism. I hope they are right.

One thing is certain: if Cooney, Akermanis, Cross, Boyd, Murphy, Morris, Harris, Griffen and maybe even Lake can maintain their career-best form for the next eight weeks, the Dogs are a very real chance to contest their first Grand Final since 1961.

LostDoggy
05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Gary, Essendon won the 2000 flag precisely with their "precise, hit-up-the-leading-forward" style.

Mantis
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
After watching a bit of Geelong last night it might just be a 'dream'.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Exactly that, they were awesome

Morris on a 3rd tall what I have been saying all along

LostDoggy
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Geelong were good, but premierships aren't decided in July.

hujsh
05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Exactly that, they were awesome

Morris on a 3rd tall what I have been saying all along

"Third tall or the most dangerous mid sized forward," Often the mid sized player wil be more dangerous so Morris should take that option.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
"Third tall or the most dangerous mid sized forward," Often the mid sized player wil be more dangerous so Morris should take that option.

Yep, not the oppositions small forward.

LostDoggy
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Yeah Geelong were impressive.

At least someone is giving us Credit, being 2nd on the ladder with 1 loss n all..

But, I didnt think it would come from the god of body hair, Lyon

hujsh
05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Yep, not the oppositions small forward.

Don't know that i said small but I just say small normally. I normally refer to any player under 190cm as a small forward.

LostDoggy
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Geelong were awesome last night - are we good enough to beat them?

hujsh
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
One thing is certain: if Cooney, Akermanis, Cross, Boyd, Murphy, Morris, Harris, Griffen and maybe even Lake can maintain their career-best form for the next eight weeks, the Dogs are a very real chance to contest their first Grand Final since 1961.

I can't say that Harris is in career best form. Haven't noticed him all year

bornadog
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Geelong were awesome last night - are we good enough to beat them?

Yes we are, don't worry about last night. Collingwood beat them by 86 points, so it all means nothing, its what happens on the day.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't know that i said small but I just say small normally. I normally refer to any player under 190cm as a small forward.

Fair enough, put it down to interpretation I would say 188-190cm is a mid-sized forward, a common enough term and usually about the size of the 3rd tall forward in a team. Morris would get him rather than someone under 188cm. You did say small that's why I disagreed, but it's not exactly eating away at me.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I can't say that Harris is in career best form. Haven't noticed him all year

Exactly what you want from your full back or was that the point?

LostDoggy
05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Exactly what you want from your full back or was that the point?

I believe hujsh is referring to to the fact that our full back is no longer named Harris.

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 08:11 PM
I believe hujsh is referring to to the fact that our full back is no longer named Harris.

Doh!

1eyedog
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes we are, don't worry about last night. Collingwood beat them by 86 points, so it all means nothing, its what happens on the day.

I'm not so sure. Geelong have been in sparkling form this past month, they seem to have stepped up a gear. I have not seen the Bulldogs play 4 quarters of football like Geelong have over this period. We came close during the Hawthorn game. We need to improve to match it with Geelong this finals series.

Mantis
05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not so sure. Geelong have been in sparkling form this past month, they seem to have stepped up a gear. I have not seen the Bulldogs play 4 quarters of football like Geelong have over this period. We came close during the Hawthorn game. We need to improve to match it with Geelong this finals series.

Which I think was always going to happen.

Winning the flag meant they started there pre-season after almsot every other team so were always going to take a little longer to hit top gear. Losing only 1 game through the first 14 games with this in mind shows just what we are up against.

Twodogs
05-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mantis

I personally wasnt all that impressed with Geelong last night. They were only OK from my POV. They cooked the ball an awful lot, they lairised with it even more, too many times their midfielders didnt lift their eyes and bombed away with guys in much better position waving their arms in the air and they werent very patient bringing the ball out of defence and consequently broke down across half forward a lot, especially in the first half. They relied on good individual performances rather than an even team effort. If they do that against us we'll win by 10 goals

I reckon it was just a stop start performance against a team that was out of form on the night. The Crows were pooh and Freo would have beaten them even if they were in front at 3/4 time.

I'm not saying they arent a good team and in all likelyhood they are the team to beat for the flag but they are still a long way short of premiership form ATM.