PDA

View Full Version : Past players mid season lunch

BulldogBelle
07-07-2008, 03:28 AM
l went to the Past Players lunch on sunday where we had a few club legends get up and give us abit talk about the careers.
l took a few notes with a few beers so hopefully l have the details right!!

STEVE WALLIS

Coming from Leongathha he was zoned to the Dogs but he did play a permit game with Sth Melb before coming to the Dogs under Royce Harts recruiting drive. Was very grateful how the the club sent him to Trinity which set his life up.
He found the Dogs a very social club where the players would hang aroun alot together.

His thoughts on current side were that we could win GF. That we have had some good recruiting over the last few years. He also thinks we will have to be very tactical to beat Geelong. He is looking forward to the next 3 years and also likes the look of Minson and our 2nd run players who are vital to win a GF.

GEORGE BISSET

He started off with a few braybrook stories. Braybrook u16 and Spotswood were undefeated and he was riding his horse down Sommerville rd when he fell off. He then spent some time catching the horse and was late to the game. Did not say who won.

Followed essendon as a kid but was asked to come to the u19s at the Dogs.
He said he made a mistake in 1969 when he hit the wrong bloke in defence of another player and got reported and missed out on that years brownlow.

Another story of his, not sure when, but said the team were in a bouble decker bus coming down Flemington rd. They tried to go under the train bridge but they were to high, it ripped the roof off when they hit!

Collingwood supporters used to call him a black prick but when he went there under the 10year rule they loved him.

After retirement captain/coached St. Albans and then played for Yarraville in 1977 at 35.

DOUG HAWKINS

In typical Douggie style he said "Grouse to be here"
In 8 years at Braybrook he was in 7 GF and won 6 flags.

Yarraville offered Doug $100 a game to play for them. Yarraville asked why he had not accepted their offer he told them that the Dogs had given him a yellow Gemini to sign on.

He also had a question for everyone there. He got everyone to raise their hand who had been kicked out of a pub for under age drinking. Then he got eveyone to keep the hand up if that very same pub has a statue of them out the front now. Very funny moment.

He mentioned how he nearly went to essendon - covered in TCD interviews.

He thought 85 was a chance for a GF but was adament that 97 was our GF.

Funny story to finnish on from Doug dont know how true but funny.
Got home late after few drinks one night. Sneaks into bed feeling a bit horny decides to give Rails a quicky. Heads off after the deed to the toilet and meets Rails who tells him to be quite because her mum is sleeping in their bed!!

SIMON BEASLEY

Was asked to come to Dogs in 1977 but stayed because his dad would have killed him. When he did come over he missed 82-84 GF for swan districts. Has no regrets.

First game Windy hill. Did not ge his 1st touch until 3rd qtr - big loss.

Jack Collins used to ring Beasley up and ask how the dogs 2nd greatest full forward was - running joke.

He hates the kick backwards thinks it should be play on. Loves the current side he thinks they are a class act. But he thinks we need to keep a cap on it.

l have probably missed heaps. if anyone else was there feel free to add.

Twodogs
07-07-2008, 11:42 AM
l went to the Past Players lunch on sunday where we had a few club legends get up and give us abit talk about the careers.
l took a few notes with a few beers so hopefully l have the details right!!

STEVE WALLIS

Coming from Leongathha he was zoned to the Dogs but he did play a permit game with Sth Melb before coming to the Dogs under Royce Harts recruiting drive. Was very grateful how the the club sent him to Trinity which set his life up.
He found the Dogs a very social club where the players would hang aroun alot together.

His thoughts on current side were that we could win GF. That we have had some good recruiting over the last few years. He also thinks we will have to be very tactical to beat Geelong. He is looking forward to the next 3 years and also likes the look of Minson and our 2nd run players who are vital to win a GF.

GEORGE BISSET

He started off with a few braybrook stories. Braybrook u16 and Spotswood were undefeated and he was riding his horse down Sommerville rd when he fell off. He then spent some time catching the horse and was late to the game. Did not say who won.

Followed essendon as a kid but was asked to come to the u19s at the Dogs.
He said he made a mistake in 1969 when he hit the wrong bloke in defence of another player and got reported and missed out on that years brownlow.

Another story of his, not sure when, but said the team were in a bouble decker bus coming down Flemington rd. They tried to go under the train bridge but they were to high, it ripped the roof off when they hit!

Collingwood supporters used to call him a black prick but when he went there under the 10year rule they loved him.

After retirement captain/coached St. Albans and then played for Yarraville in 1977 at 35.

DOUG HAWKINS

In typical Douggie style he said "Grouse to be here"
In 8 years at Braybrook he was in 7 GF and won 6 flags.

Yarraville offered Doug $100 a game to play for them. Yarraville asked why he had not accepted their offer he told them that the Dogs had given him a yellow Gemini to sign on.

He also had a question for everyone there. He got everyone to raise their hand who had been kicked out of a pub for under age drinking. Then he got eveyone to keep the hand up if that very same pub has a statue of them out the front now. Very funny moment.

He mentioned how he nearly went to essendon - covered in TCD interviews.

He thought 85 was a chance for a GF but was adament that 97 was our GF.

Funny story to finnish on from Doug dont know how true but funny.
Got home late after few drinks one night. Sneaks into bed feeling a bit horny decides to give Rails a quicky. Heads off after the deed to the toilet and meets Rails who tells him to be quite because her mum is sleeping in their bed!!

SIMON BEASLEY

Was asked to come to Dogs in 1977 but stayed because his dad would have killed him. When he did come over he missed 82-84 GF for swan districts. Has no regrets.

First game Windy hill. Did not ge his 1st touch until 3rd qtr - big loss.

Jack Collins used to ring Beasley up and ask how the dogs 2nd greatest full forward was - running joke.

He hates the kick backwards thinks it should be play on. Loves the current side he thinks they are a class act. But he thinks we need to keep a cap on it.

l have probably missed heaps. if anyone else was there feel free to add.

The answer's pretty simple. MAN UP! We dont need to change rules to suit sides that are to lazy or stupid to do the basics properly.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2008, 03:54 PM
The answer's pretty simple. MAN UP! We dont need to change rules to suit sides that are to lazy or stupid to do the basics properly.

Fair call.

BulldogBelle
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Just received email of photo from sunday lunch.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3326/pastplayers2008fp0.jpg

GetDimmaBack
07-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Is that Ian Bryant in the middle?

LostDoggy
07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
SIMON BEASLEY
He hates the kick backwards thinks it should be play on.
Thats funny considering he profitted from a famous Gubby Allen backwards kick.

Sockeye Salmon
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM

Don't agree at all.

Why bother to man up? The bloke recieving the ball is in no better position than the guy who kicked it. All that happens is the team with the ball wastes time, usually for o benefit to anyone.

They would still be allowed to kick backwards, but if you do it's play on. Now there's an incentive to man up.

hujsh
08-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Don't agree at all.

Why bother to man up? The bloke recieving the ball is in no better position than the guy who kicked it. All that happens is the team with the ball wastes time, usually for o benefit to anyone.

They would still be allowed to kick backwards, but if you do it's play on. Now there's an incentive to man up.

But that's often what they want to do.

bornadog
08-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Who is that in the brown leather jacket?

Twodogs
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Who is that in the brown leather jacket?

Dunno but Beazer looks and dresses the way I remember Jack Collins doing when I was a kid.

It's almost eerie.

bornadog
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Dunno but Beazer looks and dresses the way I remember Jack Collins doing when I was a kid.

It's almost eerie.

Funny that, I know what you mean.

Sockeye Salmon
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Jack would've been wearing a much smaller suit.

Dancin' Douggy
09-07-2008, 12:27 AM

It's almost eerie.

Hey y'all prepare yo' self for the rubber band man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twodogs
09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey y'all prepare yo' self for the rubber band man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone got it!

BulldogBelle
09-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Is that Ian Bryant in the middle?

l think you are right but l was at the bar or toilet when the photo was taken.
l did not meet or speak to him so l can not be sure.

l am sure this totaly clears this up:rolleyes:

Twodogs
09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
l think you are right but l was at the bar or toilet when the photo was taken.
l did not meet or speak to him so l can not be sure.

l am sure this totaly clears this up:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure it's him I used to live around the corner from him and it looks like him My old man used to work with him at Footscray council and knew him fairly well-I'll get him to have a look and tell me

bornadog
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty sure it's him I used to live around the corner from him and it looks like him My old man used to work with him at Footscray council and knew him fairly well-I'll get him to have a look and tell me

Any clues, I am not getting it:confused:

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Jack would've been wearing a much smaller suit.

yeah beaser appears to be a touch over his playing weight. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Any clues, I am not getting it:confused:

Nope-Dad say it's not him. He reckons that Bryant has dark hair.

Sockeye Salmon
09-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Nope-Dad say it's not him. He reckons that Bryant has dark hair.

30 years ago so did your Dad.