PDA

View Full Version : Griffen Out

bornadog
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Apparently will miss due to family reasons. I wonder if its due to his father.

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Whats wrong with his father?

In: Harbrow, Street, Wight, Ward
Out: Griffen (family reasons)

Mantis
10-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Whats wrong with his father?

I am pretty sure he is fighting cancer.

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Losing Griffen is a massive blow. I've mentioned this a few times but the most vital statistic in winning teams is 'meters covered' that's by running and kicking. An American scientist pulled AFL to bits and concluded this by just looking at raw stats. Griffen is the number 1 at this in the league over the past 3 years.

In saying that, Ryan has to do what's best for himself and his family.

DOG GOD
10-07-2008, 07:36 PM

i was 15 when my dad died of cancer so i can totally understand ryan missing games to be with his family.

My heart is with him and his family.

hujsh
10-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Losing Griffen is a massive blow. I've mentioned this a few times but the most vital statistic in winning teams is 'meters covered' that's by running and kicking. An American scientist pulled AFL to bits and concluded this by just looking at raw stats. Griffen is the number 1 at this in the league over the past 3 years.

That's a really interesting stat

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 07:59 PM

Dont believe everything those sepo scientist's say.
AFL games are won by contested marks in the forward 50.

Twodogs
10-07-2008, 08:08 PM

The doctors removed a tennis ball sized cancerous growth from his sinus in Febuary.

Ox said tonight that he's pretty close to the end. He also said that Griff wont be the only player missing on sunday-dont know what to make of that.

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
If this is true, I am not going to complain about him not playing. Cancer is a horrible thing and I wish his father all the. best

Dad1
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
all the best to ryan and family

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 09:31 PM

I always thought AFL games were won by kicking more points than the other team...:p

LostDoggy
10-07-2008, 09:37 PM
i was 15 when my dad died of cancer so i can totally understand ryan missing games to be with his family.

My heart is with him and his family.

I can sympathise with you. I lost my dad when i was 4 due to cancer.

My heart is also with him and his family.

ledge
10-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I always thought AFL games were won by kicking more points than the other team...:p

Rather kick more goals than points.

G-Mo77
10-07-2008, 11:26 PM
It's easy to get selfish at a time like this and say dam Griffen is going to miss a game of football, in the end that is all it is a game.

All the best to the Griffen family at a time like this.

As for the other Bulldog missing this game I'd put my money on Murph or Morris.

Mantis
10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Rather kick more goals than points.

Shouldn't it be more goals than behinds?

ledge
11-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Well if ur kicking behinds u arent scoring at all , just getting your foot up peoples bums so i will stick with points unless its Barry Hall then i will kick his behind.

Templeton31
11-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Ox said tonight that he's pretty close to the end. He also said that Griff wont be the only player missing on sunday-dont know what to make of that.

all the best to griff & his family.

r.e. ox's second comment i wonder about Murph. has anyone been to training in last few weeks? nothing much was made of it but he did limp off at the end of the darwin game and Rocket said it was general fatigue or something which i thought was a load.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Which is why Richo, Stewie Loewe and Lockett are weighed down by their multiple premiership medallions. ;)

... agree about the scientists though...

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Which is why Richo, Stewie Loewe and Lockett are weighed down by their multiple premiership medallions. ;)

... agree about the scientists though...

3 good contested marking players......3 most important players to their sides ???

The Pie Man
11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
all the best to griff & his family.

r.e. ox's second comment i wonder about Murph. has anyone been to training in last few weeks? nothing much was made of it but he did limp off at the end of the darwin game and Rocket said it was general fatigue or something which i thought was a load.

Like everyone else, similar sentiment from me for Ryan and his family, horrible time for them all and it's so important they're all together for support (can you imagine how proud the Griffen family are of Ryan?)

Murphy would fit the bill to miss - no chance of Welsh with his finger?

bornadog
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Like everyone else, similar sentiment from me for Ryan and his family, horrible time for them all and it's so important they're all together for support (can you imagine how proud the Griffen family are of Ryan?)

Murphy would fit the bill to miss - no chance of Welsh with his finger?

Shame for the Griffen family, especially as his dad would be so proud of his achievements and would love to see him play finals footy.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Exactly Mantis. Goals + Behinds = Points. Therefore whoever kicks the more points (the accumulation of goals and behinds) wins.

ledge
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Exactly Mantis. Goals + Behinds = Points. Therefore whoever kicks the more points (the accumulation of goals and behinds) wins.

Sorry boys just having a giggle on the behinds bit, apparently it became known as behinds when, i think it was Jack Dyer said its gone behind the post in commentary and it stuck as he said it all the time.

DOG GOD
11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
I can sympathise with you. I lost my dad when i was 4 due to cancer.

My heart is also with him and his family.

sorry to hear that borgy...life can be cruel alright. Make the most of everyday.

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Poor Ryan, :( I heard his father was ill but I didn't realise that it was that bad. My sympathies are with him and his family.

Dry Rot
13-07-2008, 01:23 AM
Presume he won't be back next week either?

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 01:35 AM

I doubt anyone would have that answer. He will be back when he is back.

Mantis
13-07-2008, 10:27 AM

I heard that he wont be back til his father passes away.

Mantis
14-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Just read on BF that someone heard at TD today that Ryan's father passed away this afternoon.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Just read on BF that someone heard at TD today that Ryan's father passed away this afternoon.

Well that's just bloody terrible news, taken away from Ryan and family way too early. My heart goes out to Ryan and his family.

Dry Rot
14-07-2008, 12:47 AM

Sorry to hear that but given that palliative care is useless and if the cancer is really bad (secondary tumours and pain), then going sooner than later is a blessing.

It's really sad and best wishes to his family.

RIP.

immortalmike
14-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Poor Griff, this has to be terrible on the bloke. He should take as much time as he needs football is only a game. Best wishes to the Griffens, hope they can remember the good times and get through these very tough times together and in one piece.

JimmySewell
14-07-2008, 10:50 AM
my condolances the griff and his family:(

i am sure that he will come back more determined now to go all the way in honour of his father..

cheers

Go_Dogs
14-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Very sorry to hear that. Best wishes to Griff and the rest of his family for what no doubt is a tough time.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Has that been confirmed, by a reliable source?

According to Eade, (on MMM, before the game) Griffen took time off to be with his mother while his father had some further tests done. Eade said he was attending the match yesterday, so if his dad died in the meantime, that would be a shock for him not being home?

Mantis
14-07-2008, 12:06 PM
^^^

No it hasn't. I was just passing on info. that I had read on BF.