PDA

View Full Version : Voss is a knob

Dry Rot
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think he's knob for getting pissed off that he wasn't offered a 3 year contract as senior coach at the Gold Coast?

Whether it's Voss, Hird, Buckley or Grant, how can any great ex-player with no coaching experience have such an expectation?

Worsfold did him a favour, IMO.

ledge
11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think he's knob for getting pissed off that he wasn't offered a 3 year contract as senior coach at the Gold Coast?

Whether it's Voss, Hird, Buckley or Grant, how can any great ex-player with no coaching experience have such an expectation?

Worsfold did him a favour, IMO.

It comes with believing the press on how good you are and a massive ego.

macca
11-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Voss is kidding himself it he thinks he can walk straight into a AFL head coaching role. Working in the media is one way traffic. Working with young people to shape and hone their talents is another question. Great player, ordinary commentator, ready made AFL coach ???? Please.... focus on improving your commentary

Chris bond must be thinking what he needs to do to be a chance.

hujsh
11-07-2008, 02:08 AM
It's not an outrageous request.

He would want to have a proper chance to coach instead of only one year. Although he would have to be pretty bad for them not to give him a second year

Sedat
11-07-2008, 10:47 AM
His post-playing career knob status was confirmed with his egocentric interview on Footy Classified this time last year, when he told the footy world he was ready to coach in 2008 and had already hand-picked his assistants.

Still, he was captain of the side that broke Collingwood's hearts two years in a row so he's racked up a few credits in my eyes on that alone.

The good news is that his woeful special comments will not be contaminating the Channel 10 telecasts from 2009 onwards, and Luke Darcy, a far more insightful and polished media merformer, will continue to shine in this role.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
The Gold Coast need to sign a coach for 3-5yrs. So the coach thinks long term with his recruiting and drafting. They dont need to worry about winning a game for the first 3 yrs, just build a talented young list.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Vos was offered a 3 year contract. First years would be coaching in the TAC Cup. Second years would be in the VFL. Third year would be in the AFL.

Voss wanted a 5 year contract so that he could establish the list at AFL level.

Pembleton
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM
He has a very high opinion of himself despite his continued struggles to utter consecutive comprehensible words. Voss is a worthy wearer of the 'knob' title.

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Gold Coast have just dodged a massive bullet

Raw Toast
11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Gold Coast have just dodged a massive bullet

And that's what really disappoints me in this whole debacle - I was really looking forward to Voss starting with a promising team and taking them a bit further down the hill for three AFl seasons in a row...

BulldogBelle
11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
He has a very high opinion of himself despite his continued struggles to utter consecutive comprehensible words. Voss is a worthy wearer of the 'knob' title.

I couldn't agree more Pembleton, it had gotten to the stage everytime he uttered something it would always get back to being about him. He has been ramming his continual coaching aspirations down everyone's throats for ever and a day and because the AFL didn't want to commit to a 5 year deal his press conference came across as one big sook.

I hereby proclaim him for WOOF's 'knob of the week" award.

Twodogs
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I couldn't agree more Pembleton, it had gotten to the stage everytime he uttered something it would always get back to being about him. He has been ramming his continual coaching aspirations down everyone's throats for ever and a day and because the AFL didn't want to commit to a 5 year deal his press conference came across as one big sook.

I hereby proclaim him for WOOF's 'knob of the week" award.

:D

That's that then! Vossy is the proud recipient of the inagural WOOF 'Knob Jockey' award.

In the best traditions of the interweb I now dub the award 'The Vossy'.

Twodogs
11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Does anyone else find Voss to be a younger, less bitter Robert Walls?

Both make a post playing career out of pointing out the bleeding obvious and talking about himself endlessly under the guise of 'special comments'. If Voss gets himself appointed to a coaching spot, sits back and basically watches his team coach itself to a flag and then live of the kudos for the next 15 years I wont be suprised.

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I support Vossy 100% on this..

Of course he would want a 5 year deal..

Stuff coaching them in the tac cup, vfl and then 1 freakin year at AFL...just when they could be on the way of becoming a successful side, of course you want to be a part of that, instead of being replaced.

Kidding yourself if you question why he turned down that 3 year dear, to go somewhere where hes garunteed 3 years assisting a successful AFL club

Topdog
12-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Stuff coaching them in the tac cup, vfl and then 1 freakin year at AFL...just when they could be on the way of becoming a successful side, of course you want to be a part of that, instead of being replaced.

Kidding yourself if you question why he turned down that 3 year dear, to go somewhere where hes garunteed 3 years assisting a successful AFL club

How bad would he have to do to not get an extension?!?!

If he had any sort of belief in himself and his ability, as opposed to his cockiness he would have leaped at that deal.

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 06:49 PM

You take your chances as they arise. So far all Vossy has done is burn bridges-I make it three clubs he's managed to burn so far.

ledge
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
You take your chances as they arise. So far all Vossy has done is burn bridges-I make it three clubs he's managed to burn so far.

Not being smart here, but maybe ignorant, what clubs and how?
Im interested to hear.

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Not being smart here, but maybe ignorant, what clubs and how?
Im interested to hear.

It's cool. Essendon sacked Sheedy to be in the Voss race last year, and Carlton sacked Pagan for the same reason. Not long after Voss announced that he wasnt ready to coach this year despite endlessly telling everyone how good he was and how he was ready to coach straight away. I know that Carlton, in particular, were not impressed.

Add those two to GC17 and that makes three.

ledge
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Bit himself on the arse then, not the brightest spark in the fireplace by the sounds of it.
Unless he is waiting for one particular club who will not be named but are coached by a bloke by the initials of Leigh Matthews!

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 09:46 PM
If he thinks that he can coach at the top level without being an assistant then it automatically makes him arrogant. However, believing that he deserves a 5 year contract, for a brand new team on top of that is just ridiculous- obviously he wants security, which is fair enough, but the AFL can't afford to make such a huge risk on a new team...I wouldn't have thought the AFL would have wanted Voss in the first place, surely a safer option would be in the best interests of the AFL in ensuring that the Gold Coast team isn't a complete disaster.

JimmySewell
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
its jobs for the boys if you ask me !

i mean, who even knows if he can coach ? he hasnt prooven himself yet, but the media think he is some kind of god or something !

alwaysadog
13-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Great player that he was, he has done nothing to convince me that he really understands the game when he's on the outside looking in. One time he was calling a game with Blighty and Blighty said, as a prospective coach what would you say to the team at the break. A long pause and then no answer. Totally different gigs playiong and coaching. Remember royce Hart anyone.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Voss has done the right thing here.
Only 1 year of a senior role in a club in its first year, he was on a hiding to nothing.
I agree he is a knob too.
Problem is he should have gone for an assistant role earlier.
I don't agree he has pissed off Essendon and Carlton either, they were stupid if they were going to get someone with no coaching experience.

ledge
13-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Great players arent always great coaches, Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett, Tony Shaw(debatable)
Voss i see as another like these.
You must be able to scare and intimidate your players and have respect, yes Voss might have the respect as a player but i honestly could not see a player taking a blast from him and not laughing.
To me he just doesnt have the serious voice needed.
And apart from that, how does anyone know he actually has game plans or if they work if he hasnt shown his wares at all!

The Pie Man
13-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Great players arent always great coaches, Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett, Tony Shaw(debatable)
Voss i see as another like these.
You must be able to scare and intimidate your players and have respect, yes Voss might have the respect as a player but i honestly could not see a player taking a blast from him and not laughing.
To me he just doesnt have the serious voice needed.
And apart from that, how does anyone know he actually has game plans or if they work if he hasnt shown his wares at all!

Remember the look on Chad Cornes' face when Voss was in his ear at quarter time in the 04 GF? While it looked intimidating (and Cornes didn't say a word which is rare for him) Cornes just had this bemused expression on his face. Was pretty funny