PDA

View Full Version : Terry Wallace = great for our club

Throughandthrough
11-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Is a hobby of dogs fan to put down Wallace at every half chance.

IMHO he brought the club back from (almost) oblivion, gave us a winning team, and restored pride in our colours.

Fercrissake we played in 2 prelims, and missed a granny by a bees thingy.

Yes, it was a bit ugly @ the end, but hells bells, credit due where credits due.

I don't read the Swans boards, but do their supporters show a similar angst towards Rocket Eade?

Sedat
11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Is a hobby of dogs fan to put down Wallace at every half chance.

IMHO he brought the club back from (almost) oblivion, gave us a winning team, and restored pride in our colours.

Fercrissake we played in 2 prelims, and missed a granny by a bees thingy.

Yes, it was a bit ugly @ the end, but hells bells, credit due where credits due.

I don't read the Swans boards, but do their supporters show a similar angst towards Rocket Eade?
Rocket was sacked - he didn't walk out on a club with 2 years still to run on a contract. Early in 2002, Wallace told the media "I've now built the list I've always wanted at the Bulldogs". Less than 3 months later, he's out the door saying "I can't take this list any further :rolleyes:". I can only speak for myself, but my angst with him is purely based on this about-face.

I loved what Wallace did for our self-esteem from when he took over until the 2000 season - from then on he became obsessed with personal gratification.

I have a theory on when and why it all started to go wrong. 'Super-flood' was the beginning of the end - the media was incredibly gushing in their praise of Wallace the match-day coach and (IMO) he became self-obsessed about his coaching prowess rather than concentrating on mundane activity like a settled team structure, sensible list management, etc... In his last 2 seasons with us, he was trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat most weeks in the box because the media perception of him as a miracle worker overtook the less glamorous aspects of coaching.

ledge
11-07-2008, 02:45 PM
I thing Terry was awesome for the club , he took the job when we were in deep poo and admittedly he saw it as a great way to get into AFL coaching.
All coaches are going to get sacked sooner or later, lets face it 100 or so footballers go through a club over 5 years, its a pressure cooker situation and your hired to win premierships.
I think Terrys only problem was he got too close to some players and his time was up, but as far as doing good for the club he did a lot for us.
In saying that, i do think he did a no-no and took some players with him on the sly.
No one is perfect and in time i think he will be forgiven.

1eyedog
11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Never! He left us for financial gain and encouraged players to follow him, he was an ok coach but he was paid handsomely for it. We gave him his start and he walked out of the club once established. Dirty, low lying scum of the earth is Wallace. If you don't want to be at our club good riddance as some players said at the time. Richmond deserve everything they get and they are getting it. He will be sacked at the end of next year and he will fade into oblivion. Another great Hawk will be remembered for what he did at the club, but not Wallace. I feel like punching his face in every time I see it. Thank you for this opportunity castrate him once again T&T.

hujsh
11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Seems a good time to bring this avatar back.

(don't punch the computer 1eyedog)

Twodogs
11-07-2008, 03:13 PM
My one problem with Terry is he is an opposition coach.

Apart from that he is a bloke who worked long and hard for our club over a decade and a half. The manner of his leaving was ugly but the time was right. If you were to tot up his credits and debits over his Bulldog career then the credit side would be a long way in front.

Rocket Science
11-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Never! He left us for financial gain and encouraged players to follow him, he was an ok coach but he was paid handsomely for it. We gave him his start and he walked out of the club once established. Dirty, low lying scum of the earth is Wallace. If you don't want to be at our club good riddance as some players said at the time. Richmond deserve everything they get and they are getting it. He will be sacked at the end of next year and he will fade into oblivion. Another great Hawk will be remembered for what he did at the club, but not Wallace. I feel like punching his face in every time I see it. Thank you for this opportunity castrate him once again T&T.

+1

For some time I've been counting the days til the Tiger faithful revert to type and turn on him in typically ugly fashion.

Dad1
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
he left the dogs to win a premiership how ironic given the two clubs records since buckley did the same to brisbane

Pembleton
11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I am happy to give him a lot of credit for his achievements with the club. :)

ALSO

I am happy for him to get whacked forever for his despicable behaviour at the end of his time with us. :mad:

The Coon Dog
11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
It's sad in a way that he'll be much more remembered for the manner in which he departed than what he brought to our club.

When he was our coach I felt really happy with the job he was doing & when he left I felt empty & betrayed.

I know that if I bumped into him in the street I'd be more than happy to reminisce with him about the good times, including 2 B&F's & the exciting footy we played under him.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Though he did a good job in his first three years as coach of th Bulldogs I will only ever remember him as a traitor to the Western Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
11-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I acknowledge the positive things he did for the club, years back, but the manner in which he finished just makes him disrespectful and unlikable.

Wallet will get a Terry Towelling (haha, sorry the crap pun!) at the end of the year- and if he doesn't, he thoroughly deserves one. He's had sufficient time at Richmond to have some success (i mean if Rocket could pick up Rhodes pieces, surely Terry Wallet could achieve SOMETHING...) and I dont see what's come of it. I'm not entirely sure if recruiting McMahon was the most effective use of their second (i think..) round pick. If he's coaching next year, Richmond will really be clutching at straws.

Whingy, selfish man, unseasonably tanned man (Toasted Terry is a favourite nickname of mine). The cons far outweigh the pro's. That makes the Tezmeister a negative, in my opinion!

1eyedog
12-07-2008, 12:52 AM
I acknowledge the positive things he did for the club, years back, but the manner in which he finished just makes him disrespectful and unlikable.

Wallet will get a Terry Towelling (haha, sorry the crap pun!) at the end of the year- and if he doesn't, he thoroughly deserves one. He's had sufficient time at Richmond to have some success (i mean if Rocket could pick up Rhodes pieces, surely Terry Wallet could achieve SOMETHING...) and I dont see what's come of it. I'm not entirely sure if recruiting McMahon was the most effective use of their second (i think..) round pick. If he's coaching next year, Richmond will really be clutching at straws.

Whingy, selfish man, unseasonably tanned man (Toasted Terry is a favourite nickname of mine). The cons far outweigh the pro's. That makes the Tezmeister a negative, in my opinion!

We call him bong throat Terry for obvious reasons

GetDimmaBack
12-07-2008, 12:57 AM
After turning things around in 1997, I thought TW was a genius. He had the side playing for him, and success seemed to be part of his natural style.
To hear him say "I can't take this list any further..."
"I'm burnt out..." at the same time as claiming "I'm still keen to coach..." was just a bit too much for me.
From that day on, I lost respect for him. I realised that he had started to believe his own publicity - expecting a fond farewell from the players, officials and supporters was unbelievable. He couldn't understand that he'd upset anyone.

There are lots of stories out there about player reactions, about TW contacting other clubs offering his services AND declaring that he would bring at least one star Bulldog player with him (guess who?). Not to mention the rumour of a large contract at Sydney...
Love and hate are two sides of the one coin, and TW felt the love. Most Dogs supporters seem to have little time for him today. I wonder how he feels now about the list that he couldn't improve?
He seems to be having trouble improving the list he has at the moment.

BulldogBelle
12-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I have mixed emotions about his departure these days...he spent quite a bit of time at the Bulldogs and kept coming up with new innovations to continously keep the Dogs in the media.

Obviously in his mind he had exhausted all his avenues and towards the end didn't think he "could take this team any further" that spoke volumes it was his time to go...he just could have orchestrated his departure a little better - in hindsight he probably would have done things differently.

My annoyance has disipitated towards him - but I always like to give Richmond a good belting whenever we play them. ;)

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
He managed to get a pretty average list into 2 prelim finals.
His list management skills need work.(To many quick fixes rebuilding the list at WB and Rich)
Dont know enough of the circumstances 'behind the scenes' ( no one does here) when he departed Whitten Oval.
All in all he was a massive plus for the Dogs

bornadog
12-07-2008, 01:49 PM

I bet you didn't talk like that when we made the finals four years in a row.

bornadog
12-07-2008, 01:54 PM
His list management skills need work.(To many quick fixes rebuilding the list at WB and Rich)
Dont know enough of the circumstances 'behind the scenes' ( no one does here) when he departed Whitten Oval.

Agree with most of your post except the average team comment. He inherited a Grant, Smith, Darcy, Johnno, West, Croft, all at their peak, along with others such as the three amigos, a young Nathan Brown etc etc. What he didn't do was recruit in the 1996, 97, 98 drafts, some young players, instead he went for the ready made and this hurt us badly from 2001, to 2004 as those young players should have been around the 100 game player stage.

1eyedog
12-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I bet you didn't talk like that when we made the finals four years in a row.

Well then your money would be well placed. Of course I didn't, isn't hindsight is a beautiful thing? The nature of his exit eradicates the positives of his time with us IMO. I am a 1eyedog, if you are not with us you're against us and you must be admonished accordingly.

bornadog
12-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Well then your money would be well placed. Of course I didn't, isn't hindsight is a beautiful thing? The nature of his exit eradicates the positives of his time with us IMO. I am a 1eyedog, if you are not with us you're against us and you must be admonished accordingly.

Although I don't really like Wallace as a person, I thought your criticism was a little harsh, or maybe the words you used to describe him were. As I said in my follow up post. I think he was lucky he inherited some great players coming into their peak of form, however, he did nothing to build the club for the future as he was after instant success. This could have been the pressure he was under from the Board. I too didn't like the way he left the club, but I can also see some postives he left behind.

The Pie Man
12-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I have mixed emotions about his departure these days...he spent quite a bit of time at the Bulldogs and kept coming up with new innovations to continously keep the Dogs in the media.

Obviously in his mind he had exhausted all his avenues and towards the end didn't think he "could take this team any further" that spoke volumes it was his time to go...he just could have orchestrated his departure a little better - in hindsight he probably would have done things differently.
My annoyance has disipitated towards him - but I always like to give Richmond a good belting whenever we play them. ;)

He conceded the following summer he was kidding himself if he thought he could have a final game as coach after quitting - it was staggeringly dumb but I respect that he's since admitted that.

I still get a laugh at some of his sprays late 96 in Year of the Dogs. He was pretty good for us as a player as well. I always found it weird that a bloke with a nickname like 'Plough' and played the way he did was instrumental in the 'downhill skiing' gameplan. Still, it should've got us to a GF in 97 and we were very entertaining to watch. Super important in the 'Western' Bulldogs emergence.

Gee he gives the solariums a flogging these days huh? He's looking a tad weatherbeaten - Nathan Brown is the real spoon chaser - has Burton done his knee?

1eyedog
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Although I don't really like Wallace as a person, I thought your criticism was a little harsh, or maybe the words you used to describe him were. As I said in my follow up post. I think he was lucky he inherited some great players coming into their peak of form, however, he did nothing to build the club for the future as he was after instant success. This could have been the pressure he was under from the Board. I too didn't like the way he left the club, but I can also see some postives he left behind.

I got the impression that you were and thanks for voicing it. I can vaguely fathom the positives of him being at the club especially how he turned around the confidence of a down and out team in 97 but I just don't like the man. With a complete lacking of any type of rationale on the subject I think Wallace is a bit of a knob. I should put him in BBs thread about knobs who think they aren't knobs. Anyway, my 1eye view unfortunately skews my better judgement, you're probably right Bornadog, either that or you're more rational or perhaps show better judgement than I.

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 06:47 PM

I wouldnt bet on it. There are some very well informed posters on this site.

ledge
12-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I wouldnt bet on it. There are some very well informed posters on this site.

Like Mike Sheahen.

hujsh
12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Like Mike Sheahen.

or that hujsh character.

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Like Mike Sheahen.

Better informed than him even!

ledge
12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Twodogs?
Rocket?
What about our one and only Coooooon Dog?

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Twodogs?
Rocket?
What about our one and only Coooooon Dog?

A very good friend of mine's father was, and still is, very involved in Team Terry. I know a lot of what was said at the time was BS and that there was a lot of stuff that didnt make it to the public domain that impacted on events.

ledge
12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
A very good friend of mine's father was, and still is, very involved in Team Terry. I know a lot of what was said at the time was BS and that there was a lot of stuff that didnt make it to the public domain that impacted on events.

You cant possibly say all that and not elaborate!
So give us what you know was true!
I have a freind who is a trainer down there, might ask him how things are going there now, but then again they tend to be hush, hush because they love theyre club and dont want to put them down even if things arent rosy.

Twodogs
12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
You cant possibly say all that and not elaborate!
So give us what you know was true!
I have a freind who is a trainer down there, might ask him how things are going there now, but then again they tend to be hush, hush because they love theyre club and dont want to put them down even if things arent rosy.

All I can say is Terry's circumstances changed considerably over the course of 2002 and forcing him to stay on wouldnt have been the best option for us. If you recall there was some talk about him relocating interstate through that year and Smorgon had a presser with Terry saying 'Never say never'-we may have been better off cutting him loose then.

Sockeye Salmon
12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
All I can say is Terry's circumstances changed considerably over the course of 2002 and forcing him to stay on wouldnt have been the best option for us. If you recall there was some talk about him relocating interstate through that year and Smorgon had a presser with Terry saying 'Never say never'-we may have been better off cutting him loose then.

The Sydney offer was hardly a national secret, or do you mean something else?

Twodogs
13-07-2008, 12:20 AM
The Sydney offer was hardly a national secret, or do you mean something else?

Not the Sydney offer.

alwaysadog
13-07-2008, 12:22 AM
I thought a quality board like this could leave the Wallace matter alone. I've moved on. Terry who?

hujsh
13-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I thought a quality board like this could leave the Wallace matter alone. I've moved on. Terry who?

It just doesn't die does it

alwaysadog
13-07-2008, 12:29 AM
It just doesn't die does it

My analogy is a pot that is long passed boiling... and needs no stirring.

1eyedog
13-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Not the Sydney offer.

The Adelaide offer between Blight and Ayres, when Grant nearly went there.

Pembleton
13-07-2008, 01:04 AM

I think Wallace mentioned that his assisstant died during 2002. He framed it in a way that suggested it was a major part of why he left, as he found it hard to face up daily at the place where they had worked so closely together. Is that what you are getting at?

Dry Rot
13-07-2008, 01:21 AM

And no-one seems to be raising the role the state of the club played in Wallace's leaving - IIRC there were pay cuts and unpaid players and staff. We came within a whisker of going under.

I was really pissed off at the time but now I don't blame him for leaving what was a sinking ship.

Anyone else remember those pre-Rose days?

MrMahatma
13-07-2008, 07:03 AM
The interesting thing about a thread like this - look how passionately some people HATE the guy who gave us the closest thing we've had to success in a long time.

Thing is, I hate the guy with a severe passion too. But I think it's like any thing in life - if your best mate gets it on with your wife, you'll be more likely to kill him than if it was some stranger you'd never met...

Ok, bad analogy, but I think he's so hated because he was so well liked when he was at the club.

At the end of the day, he chose to leave. Coaches get sacked most of the time, and the club does what's best for the club - Wallace did what was best for Wallace. Another 2 years of bad footy and he'd never have got a job anywhere else, and he'd have been sacked. Instead he spends a year making loads in the media, then lands a 5 year deal at Richmond. The guy's a genius!

The Pie Man
13-07-2008, 09:45 AM
The Adelaide offer between Blight and Ayres, when Grant nearly went there.

What happened between Chris Grant & Wallace - that turned remarkably sour, it couldn't just be because Turtle felt he was being played out of position could it?

Raw Toast
13-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Won't forgive him for how it ended, it's too much fun hating him and Richmond, but he helped keep us afloat and gave us some success and I'm grateful for that.

I don't rate him nearly as much now, and aren't convinced he can ever win a flag, BUT if I was a Freo mover and shaker (or maybe even a Weagles one) I'd seriously consider trying to lure him over - his game-plan suits Subiaco so well, I reckon he could have great fun building teams to fly over there, heck Richmond's record this year would be much better if they'd played half their games in WA (even against non-WA opposition).

Scraggers
16-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Wallace admitted to hospital
By Catherine Murphy
1:11 PM Wed 16 July, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has been admitted to hospital with a respiratory infection.

A Tigers’ club statement said that Wallace’s hospital stay is “a precautionary measure” and that the coach should be available for the clash against the Bombers on Saturday at the MCG.

Wallace pulled out of his regular media commitment “Tuesdays with Terry” yesterday due to illness.

Assistant coaches Brian Royal, David King, Craig McRae and Jade Rawlings will hold the fort at Tigerland in Wallace’s absence.

Hopefully Choco gets a chance to coach the senior side on the weekend ...

Dry Rot
17-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Whatever misgivings I have about him, I hope he quickly gets over his respiratory infection. Sounds nasty if he had to go to hospital.

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Well you have to have your doubts about the Richmond football club, heres a bloke layed up in hospital and they make him come out for an hour and address the team , then he has to go back to hospital for another night!
Well thats great welfare of your staff, dont think i would work for them, Its a wonder Polak didnt get fined for not turning up for training the last 2 weeks!

The Coon Dog
05-09-2008, 05:58 AM
The jungle drums are beating at Punt Road...

Either Wallace is up to it or not (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24289704-12270,00.html)

Patrick Smith | September 04, 2008

IT is not easy working out exactly what Richmond has done well this season.

The board sacked football hot shot Greg Miller, the president Gary March publicly torched fellow director Tony Free, a major sponsor called it quits and now the club is lining Terry Wallace up for the chop.

About the only positive turn of events at the club was the leap up the ladder: the Tigers finished bottom with just three wins last year and then ninth this season with 11 wins.

We would invite you to at least celebrate that significant jump up the ladder, but March has told us it is not worth a single cheer never mind a merry jig. He has only given that performance a five out of 10. He argues that if you don't make the top eight then the season cannot be considered successful. Just why then he gives the season a five when ninth in a competition of 16 teams can hardly be a pass mark is quite beyond us.

If he applies his standards rigidly then a leap from 16th to ninth is still worth no more than a four. We might also conclude, rightly or wrongly, that the Richmond board knows nothing about football. The club directors still cannot work out whether coach Terry Wallace is any good even though he has been at the club for four and more years.

March has decreed that - in agreement with Wallace, and as though the coach had any option - the future of the coach will not be decided until halfway through next year, the last in Wallace's contract.

Surely it is fair to ask what will the club learn between now and June 2009 that was not bleeding obvious in late 2004 and all of 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008? Either it believes Wallace can do the job or it reckons he is a dingbat. If the directors are of the mind that he is a dunderhead then replace him now and not waste 2009. If they think he has the wherewithal to continue the improvement shown this year then the directors should offer him a new contract so he has the confidence to coach for the benefit of the club and not just his immediate future. Because there is a difference.

A coach fighting for his future is vulnerable - no matter how drenched in integrity he is - to taking an expedient option rather than the one best placed to strengthen the club not momentarily but permanently.

If the Richmond board of directors thinks it needs another six months to figure out if Wallace is the right coach for their club it is more an indication that they need to reassess their competency rather than that of Wallace.

All of this, of course, is predicated that Wallace wants to continue on after next year. He might not now that he has a good indication of the club's faith in him. There is the possibility, too, that he might just have had enough of coaching not only Richmond but anybody. He has just finished his 11th year as a senior coach and that is a long time on the front line.

The Tigers' managerial style this year has not been something they might boast about. First up, Miller. The club sacked the football department head at a critical time in the year with the Tigers very much a chance to make the finals. At the time March said: "What we wanted to do was not be behind the rest of the field. It's well documented there are a number of clubs out there looking for different people - Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast - and what we didn't want to do is miss the best available person once we'd made the decision to move forward.

"All the key decisions that are made around football are made in October, but we felt that once we made the decision, we needed a new person to come into the organisation and we wanted that person in the chair to be part of those decisions."

That was back in July. Richmond is yet to name Miller's replacement while Melbourne, Port and West Coast (until Michael Voss decamped on Tuesday) have been busy filling their vacant positions.

While Wallace would not have been at all fussed by Miller's dismissal, nobody can be impressed by Richmond's handling of it. The Tigers also fluffed the management of Free, appointed to the board, effectively as football director. He commented inoffensively on Miller's dismissal on radio and was then publicly humiliated by March. The president all but indicated Free was talking out of school, had been too enthusiastic for his own good in pursuit of his brief. That Free did not walk away is evidence of a man hard to rattle.

It has been reported that Wallace has not been consulted on Miller's replacement. Well, at least March and the board have got that right. It would be untenable for Wallace to have any input in the appointment of the football department boss because he will become Wallace's boss.

Anybody at Richmond's centenary celebration dinner - now that was well run - could sense that the Tiger spirit is strong and that past players dearly want old Richmond people in charge of the club. If that mood is shaping the board's thinking then end Wallace's contract now and save itself the angst of publicly debating his future over summer and into winter next year. Richmond promises much next year and a distraction over its coach's future could be destructive.

The board can avoid all that by reappointing Wallace now so everybody at Richmond can work together, unencumbered by divisive headlines of the coach's tenure. If the Tigers don't do that, then good luck finding a better coach than Wallace.

It won't be easy.

GVGjr
05-09-2008, 07:01 AM
I think the Tigers would be making a big mistake in letting him go a year early. They did show plenty of improvement and he should be given the chance to see if he can get them into the finals next season.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I disagree. 4 years there and the best is 9th. Which is where they were when he got there.
I want him to stay so Richmond can stay 9th.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I disagree. 4 years there and the best is 9th. Which is where they were when he got there.
I want him to stay so Richmond can stay 9th.

But in that time he has turned over a fair bit of the list and they look like they are on the way up.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 09:46 AM
But in that time he has turned over a fair bit of the list and they look like they are on the way up.

Yes Yes. Heard it all before from Richmond and Wallace.

Mantis
05-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes Yes. Heard it all before from Richmond and Wallace.

I'm not sticking up for either, I hate Richmond and I hate Wallace more, but the facts are that they are on there way up and have a pretty exciting list.

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm not sticking up for either, I hate Richmond and I hate Wallace more, but the facts are that they are on there way up and have a pretty exciting list.
Weren't they on the up when he started?
Yes great new exciting players but in the end still their best players are Richo, Brown and Bowden.
How many years they got left?

The Pie Man
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM

Mostly agree - if I was a Tigers fan I'd be concerned that Richo & Bowden are still in the best players regularly - though I think they're a genuine top 4 chance should both remain fit & in form, and the likes of Reiwoldt/Cotchin/Deledio/Tambling/Foley all keep making improvements.

Don't want to see it though

LostDoggy
05-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Richmond did the right thing in getting rid of Miller, phase 2 for them is getting rid of Wallace.