PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Sandy

GVGjr
12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
First off it was bloody freezing there and I still haven't thawed out.

The reserves has a huge win was were just way too good for Sandy.

Easton Wood - played as a forward for the majority of the game and performed well. He makes some fundamental errors which undoes a bit of his game but he makes up for it by doing some spectacular things. He also kicked 3 goals today.
He still has a bit to learn but has been a big improver this season.

Jarrod Boumann - had a good game and must be pressing for a senior berth especially with a number of talls out at the moment. Boumann kicked a couple of goals and the coaches seemed very pleased with him.

James Mulligan - rotated on and off as the ruckmann and even went forward kicking 3 goals. He still hasn't improved his marking but he is very athletic and has good stamina.

John Shaw - had a very good 3rd quarter as his job was to stay a kick behind play and clog up the attacks into the Sandy forward line. He was quiet up forward but this is only his 2nd game back after his injury so he just needs a bit more time.

Thats all the Dogs players who played in the 2nds.

After a brilliant 9 goal first quarter the Seagulls gradually had their lead whittled away by the determined Zebras before rallying in the last quarter (against the breeze) and winning a close one.

Most of the Doggies listed players were a bit quiet but I will give a special mention to both Street and Reid.

Peter Street - rucked the full four quarters and did a good job against White and Meesen. The conditions did not suit him but it was another encouraging display.

Sam Reid - has really started to make some progress over the last few weeks and todays effort was particularly good. He kicked a nice goal in the last quarter when it counted and I thought his work around the midfield was very good. He still needs to improve his skills a bit but he works very hard in the contests and has a strong work ethic.

Guy O'Keefe - battled on strongly in the midfield but didn't have a great game. He undoes a lot of good things by some skill errors but he can genuinely win a bit of the ball on his own merits. O'Keefe did kick a nice goal.

Callan Ward - was also a bit on the quiet side. He played across half forward and without a genuine key foward opportunities for the smaller guys were fairly scarce.

Paul O'Shea - played mainly on Adam Yze and did a very good job without winning much of the ball.

Henry White - played his first senior game and after a good start faded a fair bit. He was used on the wing and even in defence.

Brennan Stack - started off manned up with Aaron Davey and performed well. He wasn't on Davey for long and in the 3rd quarter when the Seagulls were struggling really lifted his work rate. He kicked a great long goal and had a close miss on another. Some nice runs and some good dashes were a couple of the highlights. I liked some of his defensive efforts in contests as well.

Shaun Higgins - made a welcome return and started off well with a couple of well timed marks in the blustery conditions but it wasn't long before he was coming on and off the bench because understandably his fitness level wasn't right.

McDougall did not play today and I am told that Wight will be replacing Scott Welsh.

Bulldogs_6
12-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Cheers for that, so Cal Ward had a quiet one? You think he might return to play AFL in the next couple of weeks (based on his performance). Also would like to know how much game time Shauny Higgins got. Cheers.

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 11:25 PM
:( Whats wrong with Welshy?

So Wight is replacing him, i assume Harbrow is in too?

Williamstown 9.3 12.4 14.8 18.11-119
Sandringham 2.3 7.8 10.10 15.15-105

Goal Kickers: N. Sautner 5, A. Yze 3, C. Liddell 2, J. White, D. Gallagher, N. Carroll, A. Davey, A. Maric
Best Players: A. Yze, R. Petterd, A. Biddlecombe, D. Gallagher, N. Sautner, N. Carroll
Williamstown
Goal Kickers: P. Rose 4, M. Little 3, A. Cook 2, P. Street, B. Johnson, J. Cloke, D. Stretton, D. Galea, L. Picken, G. O''Keefe, B. Stack, S. Reid
Best Players: L. Picken, P. Street, P. Rose, B. Johnson, D. Stretton, M. Little

Sandy had plenty of Melbourne experience in Yze, White, Carroll, Davey..

GVGjr
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Cheers for that, so Cal Ward had a quiet one? You think he might return to play AFL in the next couple of weeks (based on his performance). Also would like to know how much game time Shauny Higgins got. Cheers.

A spot would need to open up for Ward but he has already shown that he can play at the next level. Hard to say how much time Higgins was on the ground but I suspect a bit more than half of the game. Greene went off early in the game and played no further part so I think Higgins probably played more than originally planned.

hujsh
12-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I take it Harbrow didn't play.

Makes sense.

GVGjr
12-07-2008, 11:47 PM
I take it Harbrow didn't play.

Makes sense.

No he was there watching the game. There was a good turn out of Bulldogs players supporting the boys.

ledge
12-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Is Welsh out because of his finger?

LostDoggy
12-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks G-man.

We just can't get that in depth info on the Seadogs elsewhere - especially on the seconds.

Also, it's nice to have a head start on tomorrow's 22.

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 12:18 AM
:( Whats wrong with Welshy?

So Wight is replacing him, i assume Harbrow is in too?

I don't really know what's the matter with Welsh but a couple of people mentioned that he would be missing tomorrow and that Wight was replacing him. It's not confirmed but seems likely.
Harbrow is in for Griffen.

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks G-man.

We just can't get that in depth info on the Seadogs elsewhere - especially on the seconds.

Also, it's nice to have a head start on tomorrow's 22.

With only 4 players in the magoos there wasn't much to write about ;)

A player sponsor and a guy from the media made the same comments about Wight replacing Welsh but I don't know if it is 100% accurate.

The Pie Man
13-07-2008, 09:40 AM
With only 4 players in the magoos there wasn't much to write about ;)

A player sponsor and a guy from the media made the same comments about Wight replacing Welsh but I don't know if it is 100% accurate.

Is Doogs injured?

I'd almost rather see him come up and play FF today - though Cam probably deserves a chance to show what he can do in the forward half in the ones (and he was an emergency so clearly it will be him)

Welsh's finger looked bad in Darwin, still surprising that that's possibly kept him out though.

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Is Doogs injured?

I'm not sure but I guess so.

comrade
13-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Strange that Wood was dropped. From all reports he had adjusted well in the seniors and been in the bests. Hopefully he and Boumann get a run soon.

Go_Dogs
13-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Great report GVGjr - thanks a lot.

Seems like Reid has moved ahead of O'Keefe now who is starting to quieten down after a great start to the year.

Pleased to read you were impressed with Stack's defensive efforts too - as I know it is an area of concern you have previously had about his game.

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Strange that Wood was dropped. From all reports he had adjusted well in the seniors and been in the bests. Hopefully he and Boumann get a run soon.

Wood wasn't dropped. He wasn't in the side last week.

Some posters here (let's just call them footballarily challanged, like Bornadog) rated him in the best players when he wasn't even in the team. What losers.

Stevo
13-07-2008, 08:14 PM
McDougall did not play today and I am told that Wight will be replacing Scott Welsh.

GVGjr, I was the toast of the town when I shared that scoop because initially nobody believed me. Hutchy might cop some crap for lazy journalism but sites like this provide some excellent insights that we might not otherwise know until just 20 minutes before the game.

Dogs 24/7
13-07-2008, 09:11 PM
So do we know what the problem is with Welsh? Is it serious?

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 09:12 PM
So do we know what the problem is with Welsh? Is it serious?

It's tightness in his back. It might take another week.

GVGjr
13-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Rocket was interviewed on radio after the game...said Williams, Welsh and Griffen would be back next week.

I hope he is right but rushing Williams back sounds risky.

Dogs 24/7
13-07-2008, 09:44 PM
GVGjr, I was the toast of the town when I shared that scoop because initially nobody believed me. Hutchy might cop some crap for lazy journalism but sites like this provide some excellent insights that we might not otherwise know until just 20 minutes before the game.

Journos are lazy so and so's if they have to pop on here and take nuggets of information off here and pass them off as their own ;)

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Journos are lazy so and so's if they have to pop on here and take nuggets of information off here and pass them off as their own ;)

I would too if I was a journo.

Surf a few of the better respected sites, knock out a few articles that you've found already half written and could be in the pub by lunchtime.

Mantis
13-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Surf a few of the better respected sites, knock out a few articles that you've found already half written and could be in the pub by lunchtime.

I think that is what Mark Robinson does except he pops into the cake shop, the fish and chip shop and ice cream shop on the way to the pub.

bulldogtragic
13-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I just want go give a genuine heart felt slap to Streety.

Keeps getting in the best every week, named an emergenct most weeks and yet keeps on keeping on. It's for players like him in the middle range putting pressure on the others that help us lift our game.

Just thought it should be said.

Sockeye Salmon
14-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I think that is what Mark Robinson does except he pops into the cake shop, the fish and chip shop and ice cream shop on the way to the pub.

I saw Robbo on Wednesday at the National Champs. He really is a big boy these days.

He was just hanging around. I was sitting close to Peter Dean and another guy in a Bulldogs jacket I didn't recognise when Sean Wellman came up and said hello to Dean. Robbo took a few steps closer and nearly threw out his neck trying to hear what they were saying. I watched Robbo for a while and he did the same thing to Peter Schwab and Chris Pelchen as well.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Is Doogs injured? .

Somthing strange going on with Doogs. On MMM, according to Eade, Doogs had a "cold" and didn't play last week and this week his body didn't come up???? I just think he is not telling us the truth here and his explanation on radio was not convincing on what is going on with this bloke. He did say he was a wanted player and will get an opportunity if another tall is injured.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Yeah, I heard that on radio yesterday and reluctantly, Eade had to conceed that there was a late change.

ledge
14-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Didnt the Ox report watch out for another change earlier in the week, when he mentioned Griffen was out?

bornadog
14-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Didnt the Ox report watch out for another change earlier in the week, when he mentioned Griffen was out?

Yes, which was Welsh with his back spasms, which must have been known during the week.