PDA

View Full Version : The Collingwood Effect

wimberga
13-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Would like to draw something to peoples attention from todays game (Dogs and Dee's). its pretty hard to explain so ill try get it out and you can make of it what you will.

I was at the game today and it was clear that we were the home team. There was only a small crowd there today, but i would say 80% bulldogs fans. Whenever there was the slightest decision going against the dogs there was a mighty uproar even if there was absolutely nothing in it. Alternatively, there was as much noise when melbourne were payed a free kick, but it was all in boo's. I just wondered if this is how collingwood got there reputation as paying out the umpires and being toothless and all that rubbish. It just felt like when your at a collingwood game and they have there 35,000 fans cheering and booing decisions left and right and centre that they could not possibly have understood, with our 10,000 fans struggling to be heard. It probably didnt help that i had a lot of very vocal but very negative doggies fans sitting closeby either.

Does anyoe have any idea what im on about? and if so do they agree or disagree? it just seemed different for us today because we had the majority of the crowd.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Collingwood get a lot better run with the umps than we do. We are nothing like them.

The game was lacklustre and the umpiring didn't help. The first 2 Melbourne goals came from soft and incorrect decisions, are we suppose to say nothing?

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 07:48 PM
The interstate sides know all about it.

We'll cop it next week at Geelong

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Collingwood get a lot better run with the umps than we do. We are nothing like them.

The game was lacklustre and the umpiring didn't help. The first 2 Melbourne goals from soft and incorrect decisions, are we suppose to say nothing?

I'm convinced the umpire got it the wrong way around for Melbourne's first goal and then again when Will got one later.

Clash jumpers should be compulsory and they should be predominately white.

Actually eddie, no you don't run the league.

Dad1
13-07-2008, 07:51 PM
the umpiring was pathetic.

Go_Dogs
13-07-2008, 08:32 PM
the umpiring was pathetic.

Agreed - some of the weirdest, and worst decisions/non-decisions I've seen for some time. Terrible display.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Clash jumpers should be compulsory and they should be predominately white.
Why do they have to be white? Have dark and light coloured tops. Why couldn't Melbourne have worn a predominately red top?
With there white shorts they basically wore the same colors as us.

ledge
13-07-2008, 09:28 PM
The players did give off thinking it was a teammate at times,believe i saw Aker lay off a handball straight to a Melbourne player at one stage.
The umpiring? yes it was terrible but did work both ways, I think this is because you have 3 umpires who see the degree of offence differently.
I had one of those (sad to say) annoying one eyed screaming Bulldog fans behind me, and the first goal Melbourne got was as he said, the worst decision in 150 years of football, thus causing me to turn around to see what a bloke over 150 years old looked like!

Mofra
13-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I had one of those (sad to say) annoying one eyed screaming Bulldog fans behind me, and the first goal Melbourne got was as he said, the worst decision in 150 years of football, thus causing me to turn around to see what a bloke over 150 years old looked like!
Now be fair... I beleive he would only have to be about 95 years old, as captains used to make the decisions up until the early 20th century :D

1eyedog
13-07-2008, 10:31 PM
The players did give off thinking it was a teammate at times,believe i saw Aker lay off a handball straight to a Melbourne player at one stage.
The umpiring? yes it was terrible but did work both ways, I think this is because you have 3 umpires who see the degree of offence differently.

Nothing wrong with them

ledge
13-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Nothing wrong with them

Maybe i should of mentioned he was negative in everything, even his own team and quite embarrasing with the comments he came out with.

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Nothing wrong with them

I was getting really pissed off with an old bloke barracking for Footscray behind me. he wanted the game played the way he played it in 1936. No handball, no playing on from a mark and most importantly of all every kick had to be 55 metres.

I particularily liked the "Kick it long" cries followed by "Why did you do that?" when the bloke did actually kick it long to the inevitable 3 Melbourne players sitting deep behind the ball.

wimberga
14-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I just cannot stand those negative one eyed types. They are ALWAYS the loudest, the "you shouldve" and "why didnt he" are there catchcry and you guys are all right, they are just downright embarassing.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 02:01 AM
I was getting really pissed off with an old bloke barracking for Footscray behind me. he wanted the game played the way he played it in 1936. No handball, no playing on from a mark and most importantly of all every kick had to be 55 metres.

I particularily liked the "Kick it long" cries followed by "Why did you do that?" when the bloke did actually kick it long to the inevitable 3 Melbourne players sitting deep behind the ball.

Well that's just called an idiot. My version of a 1eyed type is to not harbor on the negative that's for sure and try not to act like you're a knob know it all but still vehemently support your beloved dogs against the heinous fluro green or whatever colors those maggots wear these days. I see your point. I go to the footy with my three uncles, very big boys how don't mind telling loud mouths to shut up:D had some pretty funny moments this season on level 2 aisle 32. I agree there is nothing worse than a loud mouth but you've got to give it to the umps, rather than chastise the players, at least with the umps you can make it look like you know what you're talking about, try telling a player what to do from the stand and you look like a right dill.

Super 27
14-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Well that's just called an idiot. My version of a 1eyed type is to not harbor on the negative that's for sure and try not to act like you're a knob know it all but still vehemently support your beloved dogs against the heinous fluro green or whatever colors those maggots wear these days. I see your point. I go to the footy with my three uncles, very big boys how don't mind telling loud mouths to shut up:D had some pretty funny moments this season on level 2 aisle 32. I agree there is nothing worse than a loud mouth but you've got to give it to the umps, rather than chastise the players, at least with the umps you can make it look like you know what you're talking about, try telling a player what to do from the stand and you look like a right dill.

good old level 2 section 32.....:D

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 11:01 AM
good old level 2 section 32.....:D

Yep, pretty vocal bunch up there, some funny buggers too, very entertaining.

Twodogs
14-07-2008, 11:16 AM

He might have been my dad.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 11:42 AM

The game was lacklustre and the umpiring didn't help. The first 2 Melbourne goals came from soft and incorrect decisions, are we suppose to say nothing?

First goal was a free kick, the second one was through a 50metre penalty. We got four goals from free kicks they got one.

The umpiring wasn't good, but it really didn't effect the game or result.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 06:40 PM
First goal was a free kick, the second one was through a 50metre penalty. We got four goals from free kicks they got one.

The umpiring wasn't good, but it really didn't effect the game or result.

First one was a soft free, Scooter thinks it should have gone the other way.
Second was actually more a mark to Ray. The opposition player was over the mark and obvious Ray needs to hold him up. Gets a 50 and certain goal when it was really a mark to Ray or a ball up on centre wing.

Agree with your last statement.

ledge
14-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Did anyone see the mark one of our players took in front of an opponent and the umpire balled it up?
What happened to paying the man in front?

hujsh
14-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Did anyone see the mark one of our players took in front of an opponent and the umpire balled it up?
What happened to paying the man in front?

The Gia one? It was questionable that he was in front

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2008, 02:36 AM
The Gia one? It was questionable that he was in front

It was questional that it was his mark perhaps but he was definately in front.

I thought it was Gia's mark.