PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Geelong?

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Gesz I would love to get back Williams, Griffen, Welsh and West for this game.
Might have to settle for one of four.

I think we will struggle to win without Welsh. Our forward line today was poor and lacking a leading player. Hahn and Minson seemed to at the back continuously.

Say either Tiller or Wight will go.

hujsh
13-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Griff and Welsh would be ideal ins

Dogs 24/7
13-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Slim pickings at the moment if Welsh, Griffen and Williams aren't available.
After reading GVG's Williamstown report Reid or Stack might be the closest but they can't play as talls.

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2008, 09:47 PM
All this talk of our fantastic depth is bollocks.

Go_Dogs
13-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Griffen and Welsh would be very important ins and seem the more likely of the 4 at this stage from what I can gather.

Griffen in particular would be a fantastic in especially if Gary can't get over his ankle. Explosive players at the stoppages will be crucial.

Would be a bonus if Williams can get back, thought Wight and Everitt did ok as key defenders today, but against Geelong it'll be a much harder task.

ledge
13-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Eade mentioned Williams and Welsh be right ,just Griffen no comment yet.

Go_Dogs
13-07-2008, 09:54 PM

I guess, but any side with 5 key players out injured will make the depth look worse than it is.

FWIW I think we have about 5 or 6 guys playing and Williamstown who could slot in with little fuss - although I wouldn't like all 5 or 6 of them in the side at the same time. Guys like Ward, Street and to a lesser extent, Stack, Reid and O'Keefe could all probably come in and do enough on top of the side that played today.

West, Griffen, Welsh, Williams and Higgins are pretty nice group to come back into the mix over the next week or so too.

Edit: And I completely forgot about Timmy Callan.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 09:58 PM

We still have some depth with the running brigade but the cupboard is bare with the taller guys. I can see us going in with a very small forward set-up soon.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I would like to see..

In: Williams, Griffin, Welsh
Out: Tiller, Harbrow, Wight

Harbrow had a above average game, Wight was ok, Tiller was not great..but mainly them 3 out because they arent in our best 22..they would be some strong inclusions to take on Geelong

ledge
13-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I was impressed with Harbrows hardness and strength today, he really wanted to be part of it and his hunger was there.

Mantis
13-07-2008, 10:19 PM
I would like to see..

In: Williams, Griffin, Welsh
Out: Tiller, Harbrow, Wight

Harbrow had a above average game, Wight was ok, Tiller was not great..but mainly them 3 out because they arent in our best 22..they would be some strong inclusions to take on Geelong

I can't see how you could drop him on today's performance especially for a game against Geelong. Harbrow was one of the few player's who applied pressure in our forwardline and from behind. Geelong's run from defence is the best in the comp so we are going to have to have players in our forwardline who are willing to chase, Harbrow ticks that box.

1eyedog
13-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I was impressed with Harbrows hardness and strength today, he really wanted to be part of it and his hunger was there.

Agreed, he can play inside or out.

BulldogBelle
13-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Players back....

Key Dogs set to return (http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/key-dogs-set-to-return-52339)
13/07/2008 8:06:57 PM
Andrew Wu
Sportal

The Western Bulldogs will be bolstered by the returns of important trio Scott Welsh, Tom Williams and Ryan Griffen for next Saturday's top-of-the-table clash with Geelong at Skilled Stadium.

And Bulldogs veteran Scott West headlines another three players set to make their returns the week after against Carlton. Eade said Tim Callan and Wayde Skipper were also likely to be available to face the Blues.

Griffen missed Sunday's 31-point win over Melbourne due to personal reasons, while Welsh was a late withdrawal with a back injury and Williams has not played since injuring his shoulder in Round 13 against Collingwood.

Eade said he was reasonably confident Williams would be fit to face the Cats.

"If he doesn't play next week we're confident he'll play the week after but we're confident that he'll play next week," he said.

A Bulldogs spokesperson said Welsh would be a certain starter against the premiership favourite.

Talented youngster Shaun Higgins played for Williamstown in the VFL on Sunday. Eade said Higgins would need to regain match fitness in the VFL for another three weeks before being available for senior selection.

"And then it will come down to form and opportunity," said Eade of Higgins' prospects of breaking into the firsts.

LostDoggy
13-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Boy so much selection possibilities and only 22 spots :/

Good dilemma to have..we havent had such a choice in recent years..

Higgins, West, Callan, Williams, Welsh, Griffin all you could say were in the best 22...unless you can only have either Callan or WIlliams..

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 09:39 AM
For those who suggest that Wight played OK yesterday, did you go home at three quarter time?

Time and again Miller led Wight to the ball by distance and Miller is no champion. it's unfortunate but Wight simply does not measure up at CHB.

Against Geelong, he will be a liability. We need Williams back desperately.

Rocket Science
14-07-2008, 09:42 AM
1) Sadly, have a feeling Williams mightn't quite get up for the Cats game, and that'll probably be all that saves Wight's spot...Best to err on the side of prudence with Tommy and we simultaneously keep something up our sleeve for a possible finals date with the Cats.

2) Unless someone's absolutely kicking the door down (which isn't the case right now), couldn't possibly drop Harbrow...he put in versus the Fuscias. If there's a likely victim in the event Griff returns, it'd be Hill for mine.

3) You'd think Welsh will take Tiller's spot...latter wasn't particularly bad v Melbourne but just has to make way for a more established player at this point.

4) Finally...not sure of Callan's status, but any odds he'd come under consideration for the tilt versus his former employers, or is he still a little way off?

EDIT: Appears Callan is at least another week away.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Callan is two weeks away from the horses's own mouth -- Westy and Tim were interviewed after the game in the Victory Room. As was Aker.. boy he's a crack-up.

JimmySewell
14-07-2008, 10:55 AM
geelong will towel wight up if he makes a mistake - williams in for wight if you ask me

and griff and welsh in for tiller and harbrow ( or hill )

cheers

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Wight is no star but I think we have to settle with him at the moment.
Who would be his match up against Geelong?
I wouldn't put him on Mooney or Ottens but yes for Mackie.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2008, 11:02 AM
I can't see how you could drop him on today's performance especially for a game against Geelong. Harbrow was one of the few player's who applied pressure in our forwardline and from behind. Geelong's run from defence is the best in the comp so we are going to have to have players in our forwardline who are willing to chase, Harbrow ticks that box.

Spot on Mantis. Going to be a very important player this week... genius whoever spoke of bringing him in last week. ;)

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 11:13 AM
geelong will towel wight up if he makes a mistake - williams in for wight if you ask me

and griff and welsh in for tiller and harbrow ( or hill )

cheers

At the risk of being accused of being anal, the standards are slipping on this board a bit. Surely capital letters are not that difficult.

If I wanted to read from lazy typers I'd read another forum where that's the go. I think we're better than that at WOOF! Full stops wouldn't hurt either while I'm on a roll.

The mods can only do so much counselling, the onus is on all of us to maintain the hight standards on this board.

Not a personal shot at you JS, just camels & straws. ;)

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Are you suggesting Wight ahead of Williams?

bornadog
14-07-2008, 11:45 AM
IN: Williams, Griffen and Welsh

OUT: Wight, Harbrow, Tiller

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Harbrow was named in our best and I reckon did enough to keep his spot.
I'd drop Hill if it came down to choosing between the 2.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Harbrow was named in our best and I reckon did enough to keep his spot.
I'd drop Hill if it came down to choosing between the 2.

I thought Hill was pretty good yesterday with 21 disposals, 5 tackles and could easily had two goals. Harbrow is a live wire, but only picked up 15 disposals, 6 tackles and really should have done more. Interesting that Harbrow turns 20 on Friday and Hill is 7 months younger than him.

Hill is still very light and doesn't like the hard contest, but as he puts on a few kilos, he will be a very handy player. Harbrow also has a lot of potential and his time will come.

We have to drop some one for Griffen.

ledge
14-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Welsh for Wight, Griffin one is interesting, if Eade wants height against Cats he will play Hill, if he wants hardness and and a go getter with tackling prowess he will keep Harbrow, Ablett playing might have a bearing on which one plays.
One out of left field maybe.. Harbrow on Ablett, a great learning curve for Harbrow and i think Harbrow is really whippy and quicker than Ablett and tackles well.
This then releases one of our other midfielders Eade would have lost to tagging Ablett.

Mantis
14-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Welsh for Wight, Griffin one is interesting, if Eade wants height against Cats he will play Hill, if he wants hardness and and a go getter with tackling prowess he will keep Harbrow, Ablett playing might have a bearing on which one plays.
One out of left field maybe.. Harbrow on Ablett, a great learning curve for Harbrow and i think Harbrow is really whippy and quicker than Ablett and tackles well.
This then releases one of our other midfielders Eade would have lost to tagging Ablett.

Aren't we all lucky you aren't our coach.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Has Harbrow ever had a run with role before? I can't ever remember him playing that type of role, so against arguably the best player in the comp, I don't think so.

ledge
14-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I did say left field, just surprises me as most indiginous players are filled with great ball handling and opportunism, but Harbrow really surprized me with his tackling and hardness considering his size.
Whats wrong with the first 10 minutes of the game and doing it.
Also think it would throw out Geelongs thoughts on who would be the expected tagger for a while.
Remember he does have an ankle injury and any quick turning done by Ablett will certainly be matched by Harbrow.
Abletts great ability is his ball skills like Williams was at Carlton, quick with his hands and vision but leg speed is probably the same as most Afl footballers his size.
If it doesnt work well you change it.
Two ways to tag in my opinion , to hold on all day and annoy, with which Ablett contends with every week and beats it, or have someone who has speed and can get in front of him in close contests and knock it away from him.
Mantis how do you think Ablett should be handled, if he plays that is?

ledge
14-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Has Harbrow ever had a run with role before? I can't ever remember him playing that type of role, so against arguably the best player in the comp, I don't think so.
I have no idea if he has, but how many players do you know start in one position when they come to a club and change when clubs try something different and it surprises everyone.
Not saying i would expect Harbrow to become a tagger at all , just maybe a horse for this course.
Eade has always been a person to make sure players know how to play defensive in some way.
I know one player who is at the club now and came as a forward, even played his first few games up forward and kicked a few goals but finds himself playing in the back line most of the time.
Adding strings to a bow.
Ok he might not be the one to tag Ablett, was just a thought on surprizing as it works some times.

strebla
14-07-2008, 01:53 PM

I think we will need Lake on Mooney "you need a gorrilla to play on a gorrilla" and would like wight on Lonergan Ottens poses a big problem.

Rocket Science
14-07-2008, 02:10 PM
For mine, a decision between Harbrow and Hill versus the Cats is no decision at all.

This is no slight toward Hill, who I rate very highly, but based on his showing yesterday and what he brings to the table we can make more effective use of Harbrow versus the Cats, regardless of his role. We could particularly use his pressuring skills across half forward in order to help give the Cats' freewheeling backs plenty to contend with.

Diverging slightly, should Ablett play I'd be confident giving Matty Boyd the job. He'll make Jnr earn every touch he gets, while still winning enough of the pill himself.

Mantis
14-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Mantis how do you think Ablett should be handled, if he plays that is?

I am going to pack an elephant gun in my bag.;)

Personally I would be putting Cooney on him. This will create a 2 on 1 as Cooney will have someone follow him and it might work in our favour.

Harbrow hasn't got the endurance to play in a 'run with' role. He is just a kid and in a few years time when he has had a few more pre-seasons he might be able to do this sort of job, but not now.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Boyd will most likely go to Bartel, Cooney on Ablett will probably work. If Ablett doesn't play, Sellwood will most likely go to Cooney.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I think we will need Lake on Mooney "you need a gorrilla to play on a gorrilla" and would like wight on Lonergan Ottens poses a big problem.

If Williams comes back in then Wight won't be in. Everritt may be used to pick up Lonergan.

ledge
14-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I find this a great game to discuss in the way of match ups, oh yes it is first and second playing but look at our recent past against them, both teams play a brand of football that compliments aussie rules and how both coaches go about it will be interesting, could be won more in the coaches box as much as on the field.
Geelong is not a side I detest as some sides are detested when they are so good, I respect them the way they play football, dare i say this, but if (and its a big IF), we were to make a grand final and play them, (this is scary) and IF we were to be unsuccessful, the club i would rather be unsuccessful to more than any other club is them.
Now that hurt even just to think of that happening but i hope you all get what i mean.
Would most of our supporters if they have second teams say it is Geelong?

dog town
14-07-2008, 03:26 PM
If Williams is fit then he has to come straight back in at Wight's expense. Having said that Wight was more than passable yesterday. He was probably our best defender in the first half in terms of winning one on ones.

So much of our selection depends on who we can get up for the game and perhaps even who Geelong can get over the line. Welsh and Griffen are extremely critical IMO.

The Underdog
14-07-2008, 03:35 PM
In: Williams, Welsh and Griffen (if they're all good to go)
Out: Wight, Tiller and Hill (one of Hill or Tiller to play if Hahn misses through injury)

ledge
14-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Is Hahn a possible miss?

Scorlibo
14-07-2008, 04:52 PM
My god the selectors are gonna have some headaches this week. Wight and Tiller are obvious outs shouls Welsh and Williams be right to go. Griffen has to come in but there is no one any where near deserving droppage. Hill was brilliant against the Dees and Harbrow was good as well. Ray is probably next in line but even he got 22 touches and provided plenty of run. Probably Harbrow out still - not because he was bad but because Hill and Ray were better.

aker39
14-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Is Hahn a possible miss?

He was on crutches after the game.

The Underdog
14-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Is Hahn a possible miss?

Hurt his heel. Played the game out but as A39 said, was on crutches after the game

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2008, 06:23 PM
For mine, a decision between Harbrow and Hill versus the Cats is no decision at all.

This is no slight toward Hill, who I rate very highly, but based on his showing yesterday and what he brings to the table we can make more effective use of Harbrow versus the Cats, regardless of his role. We could particularly use his pressuring skills across half forward in order to help give the Cats' freewheeling backs plenty to contend with.

Diverging slightly, should Ablett play I'd be confident giving Matty Boyd the job. He'll make Jnr earn every touch he gets, while still winning enough of the pill himself.

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments RS.

If Welsh, Griff and Williams are available they come straight in, which means 3 have to miss out. At this stage I'd have Tiller, Hill and Wight make way for them.
Tiller and Hill haven't done anything particularly wrong, but I can't see anyone else in the current line-up that would be left out over them.

I still have concerns over Wight's ability to get the job done cosistently at the top level, and his game against Melbourne (whilst not as bad as his last game against the Roos) hasn't done anything to quell my doubts. His last quarter in particular whilst on Miller, marks him out as a potential defensive liability against a team like Geelong.

The Pie Man
14-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with your comments RS.

If Welsh, Griff and Williams are available they come straight in, which means 3 have to miss out. At this stage I'd have Tiller, Hill and Wight make way for them.
Tiller and Hill haven't done anything particularly wrong, but I can't see anyone else in the current line-up that would be left out over them.

I still have concerns over Wight's ability to get the job done cosistently at the top level, and his game against Melbourne (whilst not as bad as his last game against the Roos) hasn't done anything to quell my doubts. His last quarter in particular whilst on Miller, marks him out as a potential defensive liability against a team like Geelong.

I'm not his biggest fan, but I do remember Cam towelling Brad Ottens up round 1 2007. Whether that comes into any consideration I'm not sure - if he plays, he & Lonergan (after closer inspection, yes he clearly is tall (for anyone recognising a former incorrect post of mine)) are similar body types. Everett (as was suggested at the time by Sockeye I think) could also take him, he kept Miller quiet in the first half yesterday.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Are you suggesting Wight ahead of Williams?

No but if Williams is out, Wight will probably play.

craigsahibee
14-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Wight is a dilemma. At times his decision making and execution can be suspect. If he plays, and he will only play if Tommy doesn't, we need to use his endurance to our benefit so he can run off his man and make his direct opponent chase him when he have the pill forcing his opponent to use up energy. The downside to this is we will occasionally have to give him the ball otherwise the Cats will let him run up and down the ground unattended. This is where his disposal and decision making could hurt us. If it's not better than 80% effective we will pay dearly on the scoreboard.

hujsh
14-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not his biggest fan, but I do remember Cam towelling Brad Ottens up round 1 2007. Whether that comes into any consideration I'm not sure - if he plays, he & Lonergan (after closer inspection, yes he clearly is tall (for anyone recognising a former incorrect post of mine)) are similar body types. Everett (as was suggested at the time by Sockeye I think) could also take him, he kept Miller quiet in the first half yesterday.

I suspect he might have played on Ablett that day

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 07:53 PM
My god the selectors are gonna have some headaches this week. Wight and Tiller are obvious outs shouls Welsh and Williams be right to go. Griffen has to come in but there is no one any where near deserving droppage. Hill was brilliant against the Dees and Harbrow was good as well. Ray is probably next in line but even he got 22 touches and provided plenty of run. Probably Harbrow out still - not because he was bad but because Hill and Ray were better.

Ray provided plenty of run yesterday- without him, we would have been dead on our feet! Especially in the absence of Griffen- i think Ray played well.

I would drop Hill over Harbrow, i prefer Harbrows attack and defensive pressure.
Welsh is a vital part of our forward line, and possibly without Hahn next week we need all the hardness and defensive pressure in our F50 we can get. Should be right to play, glad to have him back.
Fingers crossed for Williams in......

The Pie Man
14-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I suspect he might have played on Ablett that day

Happy to be proved wrong, happens often enough - I swear it was a Wight/Ottens matchup, Lake was out. Ottens was horrible

alwaysadog
14-07-2008, 10:57 PM

I too have concerns about Wight but that pass to Hahn yesterday was brilliant and audacious in it's conception and superb in its execution. Every game he does something that is well above the ordinary, but the rest of the time that is his level. Wish someone could get him to play like that all the time.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 11:12 PM
I too have concerns about Wight but that pass to Hahn yesterday was brilliant and audacious in it's conception and superb in its execution. Every game he does something that is well above the ordinary, but the rest of the time that is his level. Wish someone could get him to play like that all the time.

Eade said yesterday that although Wight hasn't been playing that well at Willy, the club really rates him and that is why he is getting his opportunities. I see alot of upside with Wight as well as down side, especially with his decision making. Lets face it, he is 200cm, very fast for his size, reads the play well and can thump a ball. He needs to strengthen his body and improve his short passing and decison making.

Dad1
15-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Hutchy says Ablett out for one, maybe two .

BulldogBelle
15-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Hutchy says Ablett out for one, maybe two .

Saw some footage of Ablett hobbling away on crutches, doubt he will come up. Geelong are giving it till Wednesday to see how he fares.

Neil Balme had this to say...

Cats football manager Neil Balme admitted Ablett was an unlikely starter but no decision will be made until at least Wednesday.

"If I had to put my house on it, I'd say he probably wouldn't play this weekend but we're not ruling him out at this stage," Balme said.

"If he's able to be up and running by Wednesday, we'll give him until as late as possible to decide whether he'll play."

Dad1
15-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Saw some footage of Ablett hobbling away on crutches, doubt he will come up. Geelong are giving it till Wednesday to see how he fares.

Neil Balme had this to say...

Cats football manager Neil Balme admitted Ablett was an unlikely starter but no decision will be made until at least Wednesday.

"If I had to put my house on it, I'd say he probably wouldn't play this weekend but we're not ruling him out at this stage," Balme said.

"If he's able to be up and running by Wednesday, we'll give him until as late as possible to decide whether he'll play."

Hutchy says definatly .( I see sqigaly red lies under mistakes , but dont no how to rectify spelling mistakes yet . But am trying .)

strebla
15-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Ray provided plenty of run yesterday- without him, we would have been dead on our feet! Especially in the absence of Griffen- i think Ray played well.

I would drop Hill over Harbrow, i prefer Harbrows attack and defensive pressure.
Welsh is a vital part of our forward line, and possibly without Hahn next week we need all the hardness and defensive pressure in our F50 we can get. Should be right to play, glad to have him back.
Fingers crossed for Williams in......

I agree Gabi that Ray gave us plenty of run but it was a different type of run to Griffen . I just love the way Griff breaks through a congested area when other teams flood back that is what we missed on sunday!!

Go_Dogs
15-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Hutchy says definatly .( I see sqigaly red lies under mistakes , but dont no how to rectify spelling mistakes yet . But am trying .)

Right-mouse-click on the word, and options of the word you're after should come up.

Dad1
15-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Right-mouse-click on the word, and options of the word you're after should come up.

Thanks .

BulldogBelle
15-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I just love the way Griff breaks through a congested area when other teams flood back that is what we missed on sunday!!

He was very much missed Aker was on SEN earlier this evening and made mention that Griff and Welsh would be back. Was asked about Williams he had a chuckle and mentioned if it was up to Tom he would be back this week but the medico's said one more week.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Lol Aker seems to be a fan of Tommys..good to see.

Griff & Welsh In would be awesome
Who goes out though? Hill, Harbrow, Wight would be the contenders you'd think

The Pie Man
16-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Lol Aker seems to be a fan of Tommys..good to see.

Griff & Welsh In would be awesome
Who goes out though? Hill, Harbrow, Wight would be the contenders you'd think

Tiller & maybe Hill for mine. Not easy to say Hill, I'm a big fan - who has the brighter fiture, Harbrow or Hill? I'd like to think both will play 100 + games

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh forgot Tiller was in there,

Tiller def up on the chopping block he didnt have an impact Sunday and hes hangin in there with Harbrow,Hill,Wight

bornadog
16-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh forgot Tiller was in there,

Tiller def up on the chopping block he didnt have an impact Sunday and hes hangin in there with Harbrow,Hill,Wight

With Williams not playing, Wight will not be dropped.

Bulldog4life
16-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Happy to be proved wrong, happens often enough - I swear it was a Wight/Ottens matchup, Lake was out. Ottens was horrible

You are right. Ottens played forward most of that day and Wight thrashed him.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Tiller & maybe Hill for mine. Not easy to say Hill, I'm a big fan - who has the brighter fiture, Harbrow or Hill? I'd like to think both will play 100 + games

I was quite excited about Hill at the start of the season, but not so much anymore. I still rate him of course, but his first couple of games have impressed me much more than his recent few. This is probably just me. I rate Harbrow more as a player, and especially after last weeks performance from him, I think he deserves to keep his spot.
I think Hill will be out.

hujsh
16-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Who would have played on N.Ablett with Harris(past tense;))on Mooney?

bornadog
16-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Who would have played on N.Ablett with Harris(past tense;))on Mooney?

Morris, or Shaggy

hujsh
16-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Morris, or Shaggy

Didn't take me long to forget they played on tall players most weeks

bornadog
16-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I was quite excited about Hill at the start of the season, but not so much anymore. I still rate him of course, but his first couple of games have impressed me much more than his recent few. This is probably just me. I rate Harbrow more as a player, and especially after last weeks performance from him, I think he deserves to keep his spot.
I think Hill will be out.

You may be surprised Hill had 21 disposals, 5 tackles and kicked a goal and also created a couple of goals, compared to Harbrow who had 15 disposals, 6 tackles and a goal. Harbrow is a live wire but needs to do more with his disposal and kick more crumbing goals.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2008, 06:57 PM
You may be surprised Hill had 21 disposals, 5 tackles and kicked a goal and also created a couple of goals, compared to Harbrow who had 15 disposals, 6 tackles and a goal. Harbrow is a live wire but needs to do more with his disposal and kick more crumbing goals.

Being pedantic, but Hill actually kicked only 2 behinds and didn't score a goal.

Both Hill and Harbrow showed good signs, however I personally think at the moment that Harbrow is more intense at the football and contest than Hill is. It's not an indictment on Hill's potential, I think both have solid futures ahead of them. However for this weeks game against Geelong, I think Harbrow would be a better fit if it is a given that one or the other has to miss out.

The Pie Man
16-07-2008, 06:59 PM
Didn't take me long to forget they played on tall players most weeks

It's great having Everett and Williams (when fit) in the side for that very reason. I'm hoping Wight can build on what was an ok game last week (forgetting his last quarter fade out on Miller as someone pointed out previously)

Did Nathan Ablett play against us that day - round 1 07? I know Hawkins didn't, he debuted the next week vs Carlton and kicked a few (they couldn't shut up about it)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-07-2008, 07:00 PM

I think though that the Geelong of Rnd 1 2007 is a vastly different team, and Ottens is a much improved football player. I would be worried if Cam was on him this week. I don't think he would have the same result in that matchup this time round.
A big test for Cam this week given it's likely Tommy won't play.

Sockeye Salmon
16-07-2008, 08:57 PM
For the record, Wight played on the dud who Geelong delisted - was his name Matt McCarthy?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2008, 09:35 PM

Hill turned the ball over a few times and often stops in the middle of nowhere and haults. He's going to be a good player but he needs to improve on a few things before being selected again IMO. Harbrow's field kicking is alright, he's creative, even though he's not a long kick. I agree though that he needs to kick more goals. For now though, I prefer Harbrow to Hill - more intensity & pressure - Hill picked up a lot of cheap possessions so I don't think he played as well as the stats suggest.

Against Geelong, we're going to need crumbers - defensively they often bring the ball to ground. Additionally they run out in waves, so we're really going to need Harbrows pressure skills.

IN: Welsh, Griffen.
OUT: Tiller, Hill.

Tiller's unlucky that we require Wight this week, and that he was ignored regularly on Sunday. He presented well but they didn't give him too many opportunities. I like the way he goes about his footy, he just needs to get more involved. He needs to have a big pre-season to earn a position in the best 22, otherwise he's going to find himself in this type of position for a while to come.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I favour Hill over Harbrow because:

1. He shows poise when in possession and doesn't appear rushed
2. He has better disposal than Harbrow
3. He is stronger over the ball because of his bigger body
4. He is a goal-kicker

Rocket Science
17-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I favour Hill over Harbrow because:

3. He is stronger over the ball because of his bigger body
4. He is a goal-kicker

Interesting appraisal. Here's a counter take:

Hill certainly demonstrates poise, but occasionally borders on laconic both with the pill and without. He's a class act in the making and that's his go, but I'd lean towards Harbrow's urgency versus the hard-pressuring Cats.

Agreed, but it's not as if Harbrow butchers the footy.

3. He is stronger over the ball because of his bigger body.
AFL prospectus lists Hill at 73 kgs to Harbrow's 71...not a great disparity, but in terms of strength on the ball I'd suggest Harbrow's clearly the grittier and more accomplished performer. He's lower to the ground and has much more of an appetite for contested footy.

4. He is a goal-kicker
While you can never have too much talent in front of the big sticks, would argue we're fairly well equipped with numerous avenues to goal for the time being. Versus the Cats would argue we need tenacity and hardness more than flair.

Regardless, after all this conjecture am intrigued to see what the selection panel comes up with later today.

ledge
17-07-2008, 11:20 AM
I think its a question of not who is better than who, its more a question of if Eade decides to go with tall or short.
After reading about the supposed weather conditions with which doesnt get thought about anymore because of where we usually play.
I would say Harbrow will get the gig if its between Hill and Harbrow because apparently its going to bucket down.

Go_Dogs
17-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Interesting appraisal. Here's a counter take:

Hill certainly demonstrates poise, but occasionally borders on laconic both with the pill and without. He's a class act in the making and that's his go, but I'd lean towards Harbrow's urgency versus the hard-pressuring Cats.

Agreed, but it's not as if Harbrow butchers the footy.

3. He is stronger over the ball because of his bigger body.
AFL prospectus lists Hill at 73 kgs to Harbrow's 71...not a great disparity, but in terms of strength on the ball I'd suggest Harbrow's clearly the grittier and more accomplished performer. He's lower to the ground and has much more of an appetite for contested footy.

4. He is a goal-kicker
While you can never have too much talent in front of the big sticks, would argue we're fairly well equipped with numerous avenues to goal for the time being. Versus the Cats would argue we need tenacity and hardness more than flair.

Regardless, after all this conjecture am intrigued to see what the selection panel comes up with later today.

Tend to agree with you here RS. Harbrow is definitely harder over the footy and with his defensive efforts than Hill is. Hill may have a slightly heavier body, but I don't think I've seen him put his head over it too many times (not a knock on the kid, because if I were his size, I wouldn't either).

Harbrow's field kicking seems to be continually underrated too. Hill is an excellent user of the ball, but Harbrow's field kicking is nowhere near bad.

Won't disagree that Harbrow needs to kick more goals though, especially as he plays pretty much permanently forward.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Harbrow may end up playing a similar role to what Matty Robbins used to play. Permanent forward pocket but not necessarily one of our key goalkicking options. More a defensive forward to put pressure on opposition defence and lock the ball in our F50.

Sockeye Salmon
17-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I'd go with Harbrow as well. IMO he has Hill covered at this stage of their careers in every aspect except Hill can mark above his head - having said that we've seen precious little of that from Hill for a while.

Pembleton
17-07-2008, 01:26 PM

You're right, Wight played on Ottens in round 1 2007 and did a really good job.

Pembleton
17-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I am another that favours Harbrow over Hill. Whilst Hill seems to rack up the tackle stats, he is not a very good tackler and doesn't work as hard to apply pressure as Habrow does, and that will be important against Geelong. Hill has very little physical presence, in contrast, Harbrow has become really willing to throw his body around. Hill's big strength over Harbrow is that he can be really dangerous in the air, but he isn't consistently taking a lot of inside 50 marks, so he is more potentially dangerous than actually dangerous at the moment. With Welsh coming back in, Hill is unlikely to play as a deep forward target, and that is the only area where i see him as superior to Harbrow right now.

hujsh
17-07-2008, 05:42 PM
For the record, Wight played on the dud who Geelong delisted - was his name Matt McCarthy?

Didn't play.

B: Harley Scarlett Enright
HB: D Johnson Egan Milburn
C: Wojcinski Bartel Mackie
HF: Chapman Mooney Byrnes
F: Gardiner Ottens G Ablett
FOLL: Blake Corey Ling
I/C: N Ablett Selwood Prismall Hunt

Are you thinking of Gardiner?

bornadog
17-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Griffen and Welsh are in, I missed the outs. Stay tuned

Mantis
17-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Griffen and Welsh are in, I missed the outs. Stay tuned

Hill & Wight.

The Pie Man
17-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Well we mostly half right. I'm very surprised with Tiller over Wight, this I would assume means Everett gets Lonergan. Maybe Tiller plays FF so Scarlett can't run off him like he would Minson?

Sockeye Salmon
17-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Didn't play.

B: Harley Scarlett Enright
HB: D Johnson Egan Milburn
C: Wojcinski Bartel Mackie
HF: Chapman Mooney Byrnes
F: Gardiner Ottens G Ablett
FOLL: Blake Corey Ling
I/C: N Ablett Selwood Prismall Hunt

Are you thinking of Gardiner?

No. I got my games confused.

I looked it up. I was thinking of R16, 2006. McCarthy had kicked 5 v Carlton 2 weeks earlier and Wight stiched him up. It was to ne McCarthy's 2nd last game of AFL footy.

hujsh
17-07-2008, 10:20 PM
No. I got my games confused.

I looked it up. I was thinking of R16, 2006. McCarthy had kicked 5 v Carlton 2 weeks earlier and Wight stiched him up. It was to ne McCarthy's 2nd last game of AFL footy.

I remember thinking Cam looked good that day. First time I noticed him do well.