PDA

View Full Version : Nathan Eagleton (A positive thread for a change)

bulldogtragic
13-07-2008, 11:54 PM
I have not been a knocker of his in the past, but have not been his number 1 ticket holder either. So i come at this fairly neutral.

I think he is important to our team and i'm sick of the crap our so-called 'supporters' put on him, such was a text read out on MMM radio this afternoon.

His run is great, his kicking for goal is good, and you can count on a goal or two like today. Sure he didn't rack up 30 possies today, but he is a 200 game plus player, that breaks lines, carries the ball, has decent pisposal and kicks goals.

His long standing criticism for which i agreed was a perception of softness. I really think he has addressed this. Our improvement across the board in toughness, tackling, sheperding and 1%ers is particularly seen in Eagle.

I think he has added this to his game with others and that is where we have seen his improvement and team improvement. I'm not suggesting he is in line be beatified by the pope this week, but suggesting Eade has him picked every week for a reason and i think for all the crap 'we' (collectively) have given him, he deserves a slap for value adding to our team.

Mantis
14-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I can't stand him...

Picks and chooses when he wants to chase and when he wants to put his body on the line.

His long kicking is beneficial, but I feel he is one player who will let us down under pressure.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 12:00 AM
A month ago his pressure and tackling were good, he was racking up 6 or 7 tackles a game, but he's dropped off again. He is too often in and out of the game, sure he kicks a goal here and there but his pressure just isn't up to scratch. He doesn't do any hard stuff whatsoever and I have dropped him for Higgins while moving Everitt onto a wing in my best 22. Nathan Eagleton plays 5-10 minutes of good football a game, that's why he doesn't get votes in the Marmo. You said His run is great, his kicking for goal is good, and you can count on a goal or two like today..... he is a 200 game plus player, that breaks lines, carries the ball, has decent pisposal and kicks goals. A player described like this should be getting votes, the reason he does not is because he only does the above for 10% of game time.

Twodogs
14-07-2008, 12:03 AM
His intensity has dropped off alarmingly.

Sockeye Salmon
14-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Had the chance to mark a high ball on the Medallion Club wing and didn't go. It was a shocker.

He'll keep his spot this year but will come under heaps of pressure next year.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Had the chance to mark a high ball on the Medallion Club wing and didn't go. It was a shocker.

l think that was when he looked up and saw the melbourne guy coming towards the ball/him at full pace.
He pulled out and think Melbourne took it away.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 09:35 AM
He made up for dropping that mark a little by later in about the same position diving over the ball and winning it.

Sedat
14-07-2008, 10:33 AM
He made up for dropping that mark a little by later in about the same position diving over the ball and winning it.
Therein lies the conundrum with Eagle. He has the capacity to go in where angels fear to tread (this particular hard ball get was Cross-like) but then lets himself down by short-stepping it at another contest.

He was good early yesterday.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I can't stand him...

Picks and chooses when he wants to chase and when he wants to put his body on the line.

His long kicking is beneficial, but I feel he is one player who will let us down under pressure.

Agreed, and for a senior player this has been the most disappointing aspect. I noted in the stats today that he had 5 effective tackles, however my only impression after the game was that too often he'd let someone stroll by without putting the necessary pressure on them.

He just needs to be willing to work harder backwards and force the extra few steps to lay a tackle/block/pressure. I've been a big fan of his for a number of years, however I'm not convinced he's taken a big enough step towards improving his defensive efforts this year, which is a bit disappointing considering as a team its been one of our best areas of improvement.

dog town
14-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Rocket said he was dissapointed with a couple of senior players. You would be fairly certain that Eagle was one of them. I normally hate whacking blokes for pulling out of contests because it all happens pretty quickly but he did it twice and no other explanation could be found for those instances.

ledge
14-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Eagle was the one who tackled and got our second goal, so we know he has it in him, its just he needs to show it all the time.
If Eagle was one of them i would be surprised if he plays against Geelong because you cant afford to pull out.
But sometimes experience in tight games is best to go with, all in all as i said in another post in some other way, Eade will be earning his pay this week with team selection for sure and game moves.

aker39
14-07-2008, 03:33 PM

He didn't drop the mark.

He shat himself and didn't even attempt to mark it in the end.

Scorlibo
14-07-2008, 03:53 PM
My problem with Eagle has always been that he holds the ball for too long running towards the fifty, ingores good leads and ends up having some sort of half hearted, confused shot at goal, while under avoidable pressure, which ends up being a complete shank. When you find that much space and are that unaccountable you just have to hit targets. Faz is starting to annoy me in the same way and he still has that terrible kicking action which produces terrible results - he is good at everything else but the kicking just lets him down.

GVGjr
14-07-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll stick up for him. It wasn't his best game yesterday but I think he still has a few credits in the bank....just a few.
The troubling sign is his inconsistency. In years gone by he might have had a couple of quiet games but the quality of his work was still good but now there is a fair gap between his better and poor performances which will put him right under the microscope.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I'll stick up for him. It wasn't his best game yesterday but I think he still has a few credits in the bank....just a few.
The troubling sign is his inconsistency. In years gone by he might have had a couple of quiet games but the quality of his work was still good but now there is a fair gap between his better and poor performances which will put him right under the microscope.

You've not really stuck up for him very well. What are those credits? I'm not saying he hasn't got them, just wondering what your thoughts are.

GVGjr
14-07-2008, 06:55 PM
You've not really stuck up for him very well. What are those credits? I'm not saying he hasn't got them, just wondering what your thoughts are.

Simply speaking he has put in a few good games in my opinion and his form is solid enough to hold his spot. He will need to lift the tempo though especially with the likes of Higgins trying to gain some fitness with Williamstown.

1eyedog
14-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Simply speaking he has put in a few good games in my opinion and his form is solid enough to hold his spot. He will need to lift the tempo though especially with the likes of Higgins trying to gain some fitness with Williamstown.

Agreed, he will be under the pump when Higgins and West are available, although of course he is a different type of player but we may just substitute him for one of them if he doesn't lift his game. It is too early to ride him off and he may pick up some consistency coming into the finals. I agree that he is a damaging player once he gets going, I'm just wondering if he is capable of finding that form again. I hope so as he has been a good servant.

Madone
14-07-2008, 11:34 PM

He wasn't on his pat malone there. I saw Boydy watching the ball coming in at one stage, in defense, to which there was not even any attempt to spoil let alone mark. Not sure if the Dee's got a goal out of it but there was no putting the body on the line in that attempt.

craigsahibee
15-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I think he is important to our team and i'm sick of the crap our so-called 'supporters' put on him, such was a text read out on MMM radio this afternoon.

I heard that SMS read out on MMM, I was more disappointed in MMM for reading it out. But it was Dunstall. If he could do anything in his power to destabilize our tilt at the flag he will. He is such a bitter and twisted has been that has never given us any credit. One of the world's great ar$eholes.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I heard that SMS read out on MMM, I was more disappointed in MMM for reading it out. But it was Dunstall. If he could do anything in his power to destabilize our tilt at the flag he will. He is such a bitter and twisted has been that has never given us any credit. One of the world's great ar$eholes.
Fair point. BT actually gave it to him for reading it out.

No love between us Dunstall and that ar$epick Grant Thomas. I wont listen when he is on.

1eyedog
16-07-2008, 04:25 PM
He wasn't on his pat malone there. I saw Boydy watching the ball coming in at one stage, in defense, to which there was not even any attempt to spoil let alone mark. Not sure if the Dee's got a goal out of it but there was no putting the body on the line in that attempt.

Couldn't imagine Boydy skirting an issue. May have been some confusion on the ground as to who was to go, still I know what you mean, a player like DFA goes every time regardless.

bornadog
16-07-2008, 06:31 PM

I think generally he has played well this season. He had a great game in round one then injured his ankle, took awhile to get back and into form. Sunday wasn't his best but then again he had a lot of team mates in the same position ( Murphy 15 disposals, Cooney 17, Johnno 20, Hahn 6 Harbrow 15). Agree that he has to keep up his form as Willy guys are busting to get in.

Some stats:
Season Highlights

23 disps (16 kicks 7 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 14 54-pt win over Port Adelaide at Marrara Oval (28 Jun 2008)

25 disps (16 kicks 9 hballs) in Rd 12 63-pt win over Brisbane at the MCG (14 Jun 2008)

22 disps (18 kicks 4 hballs) and 14 marks in Rd 11 27-pt win over St Kilda at Telstra Dome (8 Jun 2008)

21 disps (13 kicks 8 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 10 32-pt win over Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium (31 May 2008)

22 disps (15 kicks 7 hballs), 6 marks, 7 tackles and a goal in Rd 8 3-pt win over Fremantle at Subiaco (18 May 2008)

24 disps (16 kicks 8 hballs), 6 marks and a goal in Rd 6 60-pt win over West Coast at Telstra Dome (26 Apr 2008)

25 disps (18 kicks 7 hballs), 5 marks and a goal in Rd 1 3-pt win over Adelaide at Telstra Dome (23 Mar 2008)

hujsh
16-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Some stats:
Season Highlights

23 disps (16 kicks 7 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 14 54-pt win over Port Adelaide at Marrara Oval (28 Jun 2008)

25 disps (16 kicks 9 hballs) in Rd 12 63-pt win over Brisbane at the MCG (14 Jun 2008)

22 disps (18 kicks 4 hballs) and 14 marks in Rd 11 27-pt win over St Kilda at Telstra Dome (8 Jun 2008)

21 disps (13 kicks 8 hballs), 10 marks and a goal in Rd 10 32-pt win over Hawthorn at Aurora Stadium (31 May 2008)

22 disps (15 kicks 7 hballs), 6 marks, 7 tackles and a goal in Rd 8 3-pt win over Fremantle at Subiaco (18 May 2008)

24 disps (16 kicks 8 hballs), 6 marks and a goal in Rd 6 60-pt win over West Coast at Telstra Dome (26 Apr 2008)

25 disps (18 kicks 7 hballs), 5 marks and a goal in Rd 1 3-pt win over Adelaide at Telstra Dome (23 Mar 2008)

I was almost about to highlight that all these games were in wins, then i realized that we've only had 2 games where we haven't won

bulldogtragic
17-07-2008, 01:40 PM
I was almost about to highlight that all these games were in wins, then i realized that we've only had 2 games where we haven't won
:) :)

Cyberdoggie
18-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Therein lies the conundrum with Eagle. He has the capacity to go in where angels fear to tread (this particular hard ball get was Cross-like) but then lets himself down by short-stepping it at another contest.

He was good early yesterday.

that is true, he does surprise you from time to time, which is why we all get so bloody frustrated with him.

I thought he was excellent against melbourne, his disposal was clean and accurate, of course he wasn't under much pressure and had time to move on that left foot each time.
And he went in hard at most contests. Ran very hard going with the ball and ok going the other way.

Will be very interesting to see how he competes against geelong. They won't give him time or space to run around on his left foot.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2008, 08:37 PM
As mentioned above, sometimes Eagleton dives in hard, others he takes a side step. It's frustrating because along with that, at times he really doesn't appear to be working hard enough. He's a good runner and link-up man with great long foot skills - he can absolutely carve sides up, but he doesn't do it enough.

Tomorrow's a big test for Eagleton. He needs to step up and prove he's holding his spot down. Against Geelong, he's an important link-up player because he can break the lines and spot targets - particularly the long ones, preventing Geelong enough time to double team.

A few years ago in 2006, Eagleton was in career best form, he copped a tag in a game against Collingwood - the same one Murphy did his knee in. He's slowed down a bit since then, but he's still a dangerous player - hopefully he's cherry ripe for Finals, and tomorrow.

hujsh
19-07-2008, 01:07 AM
A few years ago in 2006, Eagleton was in career best form, he copped a tag in a game against Collingwood - the same one Murphy did his knee in. He's slowed down a bit since then, but he's still a dangerous player - hopefully he's cherry ripe for Finals, and tomorrow.

I remember he had about 10-15 disposals and a goal or 2 at quarter time.

LostDoggy
19-07-2008, 12:35 PM
I think there have been a posts that have been a bit harsh on the bald eagle. Eagletons strengths, along with Gilbee, are their long penetrating kicks over the lines and hitting targets the opposition haven't seen. We have enough players now to do the grunt work without expecting two of our key rebounders being smashed in an avoidable collision.

Every team needs the hard in and unders and the receivers to make everything work. Also have to remember that he is getting a bit older and can't just bounce back up like some of the younger players. If rocket really thought that this "deficiency" in eagles game was letting the team down he wouldn't pick him.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Every team needs the hard in and unders and the receivers to make everything work. Also have to remember that he is getting a bit older and can't just bounce back up like some of the younger players. If rocket really thought that this "deficiency" in eagles game was letting the team down he wouldn't pick him.

Fully agree, at this stage he is in our best 22 IMO and next year will be the test for Rocket.

Both Eagle and West in need to be outstanding otherwise we blood kids.

At the risk of being smashed, I think this will be the last year for both these guys. would love to win a flag from Westy. ;)