PDA

View Full Version : Solomon to face tribunal

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Solomon to face tribunal (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24017876-19742,00.html)

FREMANTLE'S Dean Solomon striking charge has been referred directly to the tribunal by the match review panel.

Solomon hit Geelong's Cameron Ling with an elbow in the first term of Saturday's match, resulting in the Cats' tagger having surgery on his cheek.

Due to the severity of the incident, the panel referred the matter directly to the tribunal. Solomon has an existing bad record of three matches suspended within the last three years. He also has 32.81 demerit points carried over from within the last 12 months.

The panel handed out several heavy sentences, hitting Swan Amon Buchanan with a five-match suspension, Eagle Daniel Kerr with four and Roo Daniel Pratt with two.

Solomon's teammate Ryan Crowley faces a week on the sidelines after being offered a one-match ban for striking Gary Ablett if he pleads guilty.

Several Geelong players - including Cameron Mooney and Jimmy Bartel - were not cited by the panel.

Kerr can reduce his ban for striking Tiger Matthew White to three matches if he takes an early plea, while Buchanan can also take one week off his by pleading guilty to making high contact with Hawk Luke Hodge.

Pratt cannot reduce his sentence for eye-gouging Port Adelaide's Brett Ebert.

Demon Colin Sylvia has been given a one match ban which can be redueced to a reprimand and 93.75 points towards his future record with an early plea for striking Bulldog Dale Morris, while Crow Richie Douglas has been fined $1950 for wrestling.

Sockeye Salmon
14-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I am astonished Hunt didn't get dome for his swinging arm.

ledge
14-07-2008, 08:09 PM
How does one player get done for wrestling?

Rocket Science
14-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I am astonished Hunt didn't get dome for his swinging arm.

Thought the same thing...hard to spot the difference between Hunt's deed and Kerr's on the weekend, with the latter copping a month off for his troubles (albeit with ample prior form affecting the penalty).

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Crowley getting a week was pretty soft, there was barely anything in it...did he have carry over points from his last incident? Either way, very soft.

Madone
14-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Solomon should get the rest of the year off for his deliberate and reckless raising of the elbow. Lingy will get 4 weeks on the sideline so I reckon Solly should get 5 plus Lingy's time off too.
Sheer stupidity.

bornadog
14-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I was thinking about Solomans hit and how many weeks should he get and thought about similiar incidents this year. I will give you a couple of examples and see what you think:

1. Murphy's hit - Very similiar to Solomans except the end result was a blood nose and not a broken cheek. Two weeks (one with early plee)
2. Buddy - Hip on shoulder but no damage - reprimand

Can any one tell me the difference between these two and what Soloman did. All three went for the man without the ball. Yes the result with Soloman's is Ling is hurt badly, but the acts were all the same.

Personally, I would treat them all the same, however the severity should count for a larger penalty in the case of Soloman. At most he should get 4 weeks, based on Murphy's and Buddies penalties.

LostDoggy
14-07-2008, 11:08 PM
I was thinking about Solomans hit and how many weeks should he get and thought about similiar incidents this year. I will give you a couple of examples and see what you think:

1. Murphy's hit - Very similiar to Solomans except the end result was a blood nose and not a broken cheek. Two weeks (one with early plee)

Can any one tell me the difference between these two and what Soloman did.
Big difference.
Solly stuck out a cocked elbow. Would have missed Ling if he kept his arm down. The others no where near as dirty. No difference between Murphys and Buddys except one is golden boy. Murphy went passed the ball slightly, Buddy went the man with the ball.

Solly's elbow was 4 weeks+ in the old days.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2008, 11:19 PM
It beats me how anyone could say Murfs was worth reporting let alone as bad as Franklin's or Solomon's.

It looked to me like the ball went past him. He blocked the opponent while stationary rather than running into him.

Solomon's was worse than Franklin's obviously by the result but also he blatantly raised his elbow in order to do some damage.

Madone
14-07-2008, 11:19 PM
My interpretation of the Murph hit was that the ball was in the play, had spilled out and in the process of both players attempting to retrieve it couldn't avoid each other. Bobby copped his whack for his misdemeanor as I believe there was no intent on his behalf to deliberately hurt or take out his opponent. What Dean Solomon did was run straight past the ball, raised his elbow and deliberately took out Lingy. It may have been a brain freeze but there is a big difference between keeping the elbow tucked in tight on the side and lifting it when going the bump.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2008, 11:21 PM

At the risk of sounding like John McEnroe, 'YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!'

Solomon's hit on Ling (http://media.theage.com.au/?rid=39541)

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2008, 02:43 AM

Can any one tell me the difference between these two and what Soloman did. All three went for the man without the ball. Yes the result with Soloman's is Ling is hurt badly, but the acts were all the same.

Personally, I would treat them all the same, however the severity should count for a larger penalty in the case of Soloman. At most he should get 4 weeks, based on Murphy's and Buddies penalties.

That is a simply wrong.

Solomon hit him with the point of his elbow - that's why Ling ended up with a broken cheekbone.

Murphy and Franklin didn't even commit reportable offences (according to AFL rules).

aker39
15-07-2008, 10:15 AM
The comparison of Murphy to Solomon is laughable.

At the time, I said Franklins was similar to Murphy.

I agree with SS, I can't believe Hunt was not put up. But not only that, after reading the article in the OP, it wasn't even looked at.

Does anyone know if the MRP made any comment on the Josh Hunt hit.

bornadog
15-07-2008, 10:16 AM
That is a simply wrong.

Solomon hit him with the point of his elbow - that's why Ling ended up with a broken cheekbone.

Murphy and Franklin didn't even commit reportable offences (according to AFL rules).

Ok, I am not saying the actual contact is the same, what I am saying is all three were an attempted shirt front but all carried out differently. I am not condoning what Soloman did, I am sure he didn't intend on breaking a cheek bone, but in the act of bumping Ling, he raised his elbow. Ling had the ball and disposed it seconds before he was hit.

I just hate all the histaria surrounding these sort of things and the call for Soloman to be out for 7, 8 weeks etc. You have to look at the whole incident, compare to others and the severity and then give him the appropriate penalty.

aker39
15-07-2008, 10:20 AM
You have to look at the whole incident, compare to others and the severity and then give him the appropriate penalty.

We have. He needs to get 6 to 8 weeks.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Ok, I am not saying the actual contact is the same, what I am saying is all three were an attempted shirt front but all carried out differently.
Sorry bornadog
I thought a shirt front was when you tuck in your elbow.

bornadog
15-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Sorry bornadog
I thought a shirt front was when you tuck in your elbow.

I did say attempted.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I did say attempted.

:)
Solly's attempt is very poor then.

bornadog
15-07-2008, 03:03 PM
:)
Solly's attempt is very poor then.

Agreed.

What my original post was saying were all three were attempted shirt fronts with different results. I can't believe Soloman went out to deliberately fracture Lings cheek, or Murphy deliberately knocked out Ellis. Soloman was very careless and he should pay for his actions.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Agreed.

What my original post was saying were all three were attempted shirt fronts with different results. I can't believe Soloman went out to deliberately fracture Lings cheek, or Murphy deliberately knocked out Ellis. Soloman was very careless and he should pay for his actions.

Bit of backpeddling going on Bornadog!!
Not sure i would put it in the careless category either.
Solomon deserves 4-6wks.

Twodogs
15-07-2008, 06:08 PM
That was nothing like a shirtfront. He came in from the side with his elbow cocked like a shotgun. A shirtfront is designed to split a bloke down the middle from head on.

Topdog
15-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok, I am not saying the actual contact is the same, what I am saying is all three were an attempted shirt front but all carried out differently. I am not condoning what Soloman did, I am sure he didn't intend on breaking a cheek bone, but in the act of bumping Ling, he raised his elbow. Ling had the ball and disposed it seconds before he was hit.

I just hate all the histaria surrounding these sort of things and the call for Soloman to be out for 7, 8 weeks etc. You have to look at the whole incident, compare to others and the severity and then give him the appropriate penalty.

Since when does a shirt front involve lunging at someone with an elbow directed at their head?

This is the worst incident I have seen on a football field since......Lockett to Caven. That is what you should be comparing it to, not bloody Murphy standing upright and delivering a solid hip and shoulder.

bornadog
15-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Since when does a shirt front involve lunging at someone with an elbow directed at their head?

This is the worst incident I have seen on a football field since......Lockett to Caven. That is what you should be comparing it to, not bloody Murphy standing upright and delivering a solid hip and shoulder.

A little emotional there TD.

You will be pleased to know he got 8 weeks, thats more than Barry Halls King hit.

Topdog
15-07-2008, 07:38 PM
How was that a little emotional?

8 weeks is what he deserves.

bornadog
15-07-2008, 07:42 PM
How was that a little emotional?

8 weeks is what he deserves.

No your post was emotional because I dare to mention Murphy. Murphy knocked the bloke out with an elbow to the nose. All I am saying is there is not much difference in the intent, but the excution by Soloman was terrible.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 09:37 PM
A little emotional there TD.

You will be pleased to know he got 8 weeks, thats more than Barry Halls King hit.

Barrys king hit got 10wks

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Barrys king hit got 7 weeks. I think he was out for a further 2 or 3 getting over his broken wrist.
Solomon should of got 10 IMO

The Coon Dog
15-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Barrys king hit got 7 weeks. I think he was out for a further 2 or 3 getting over his broken wrist.
Solomon should of got 10 IMO

10 & 7 are both right.

He got 10, but with an early plea it was reduced to 7.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 11:36 PM
So does that mean Solomons hit was rated not as bad as Halls? Or did Solomon get a reduction with a guilty plea?

I thought Solomons was far worse than Halls.

bornadog
16-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Yes but because he was allowed to give an early plea this was reduced to 7 weeks. Soloman was not given that opportunity as his case went straight to the tribunal.

I just think the whole tribunal system, with points, early please etc is not consistent. If Soloman deserves 8 weeks, Hall should have got 12 weeks.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Yes but because he was allowed to give an early plea this was reduced to 7 weeks. Soloman was not given that opportunity as his case went straight to the tribunal.

I just think the whole tribunal system, with points, early please etc is not consistent. If Soloman deserves 8 weeks, Hall should have got 12 weeks.

I see it the other way. If Hall deserved 7 weeks Solomon deserved 10.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Hall got 10 and got it down to 7
Solomon got either 5 or 6 but because of his bad record its 8

bornadog
16-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I see it the other way. If Hall deserved 7 weeks Solomon deserved 10.

Really, I am shocked. Halls had nothing to do with the play. It was outright thuggery, basically a king hit and meant to do damage. Solomans at least was a delayed hit after Ling got rid of the ball and no way was meant to do the damage he did...... very careless.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Really, I am shocked. Halls had nothing to do with the play. It was outright thuggery, basically a king hit and meant to do damage. Solomans at least was a delayed hit after Ling got rid of the ball and no way was meant to do the damage he did...... very careless.

Solomon throws his elbow out for contact and you don't think that's thuggery? I suppose that's part of the game though. :rolleyes:

Hall didn't break Stakers cheek or jaw etc. Solomon has given Ling a depressed fracture.

I don't think Solomons really had anything to do with the play. He has collected Ling well after he had disposed of the ball, he could of pulled out of contact. At least Hall has reacted to something, (Not condoning what he did but Staker was all over him and as you pointed out was not in the play). Solomons hit was far worse in execution and end result to the victim.

bornadog
16-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Solomon throws his elbow out for contact and you don't think that's thuggery? I suppose that's part of the game though. :rolleyes:

Hall didn't break Stakers cheek or jaw etc. Solomon has given Ling a depressed fracture.

I don't think Solomons really had anything to do with the play. He has collected Ling well after he had disposed of the ball, he could of pulled out of contact. At least Hall has reacted to something, (Not condoning what he did but Staker was all over him and as you pointed out was not in the play). Solomons hit was far worse in execution and end result to the victim.

We will agree to disagree which one was worse, however, hopefully both penalties will send a message to players that this sort of thing is not condoned in football.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 06:41 PM
We will agree to disagree which one was worse, however, hopefully both penalties will send a message to players that this sort of thing is condoned in football.

Agreed. Except I hope you meant to say that this sort of thing is NOT condoned in football.

bornadog
16-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Agreed. Except I hope you meant to say that this sort of thing is NOT condoned in football.

yes sorry, will edit

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 09:10 PM
yes sorry, will edit

lol :cool:

Twodogs
17-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Do you mean that it's a suprise that Ling had his cheek broken or that Solomon was more careless or reckless rather than outright thuggish and didnt really know what he was doing? If so then I beg to differ

I reckon if anyone in AFL should be aware of what the result of an indiscrimminite elbow to the face then it should be Dean Solomon. He is the worst kind of repeat offender with that exact type of incident. He's probably done it 4 or 5 times that I can remember just of the top of my head at reserve and senior level.

Topdog
17-07-2008, 06:45 PM
No your post was emotional because I dare to mention Murphy. Murphy knocked the bloke out with an elbow to the nose. All I am saying is there is not much difference in the intent, but the excution by Soloman was terrible.

I think you should watch the incident again.

Dry Rot
17-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Finally saw the incident and Solomon on TFS.

Shocking effort and I would be very disappointed if a Dogs player did that.

Solomon isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Finally saw the incident and Solomon on TFS.

Shocking effort and I would be very disappointed if a Dogs player did that.

Solomon isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Well he isnt alone as far as AFL footballers go.

Topdog
18-07-2008, 09:16 AM
To be fair to him I think he has been exceptional since the incident.

He was genuinely remorseful last night on TFS and it's taken a lot of courage to do what he has done since the hit.