PDA

View Full Version : Hooray for me! (I hope)

Throughandthrough
15-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Snapshot:

43 years of age.

Dogs have not played in a gf while I am alive.

Been to three dogs finals, the two prelims and our game two years ago vs WCE.

(0 from 3)

Have two passions in life, the WBU and the Glenelg Footy Club in the SANFL.

The Glenelg Tigers were a powerhouse of the SANFL in the mid 80's, i could not afford to go to the gf in 85 and 86 (we won both)

Have played in and lost about 4 or 5 gf's since them (I was at all of them...)

Had a very bad period for the last decade, a few spoons, generally very crap.

This year the dogs are flying (and yes i am a social club member)

The Tigers are also flying.

Top of the SANFL ladder by 2 games, have won the last 12 in a row.

Will this be the best year of my life.....

Bulldog4life
15-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Snapshot:

43 years of age.

(0 from 3)

The Glenelg Tigers were a powerhouse of the SANFL in the mid 80's, i could not afford to go to the gf in 85 and 86 (we won both)

If you can dance as good as that.......anything is possible.:D

ledge
15-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Sad to say, Centrals will upset your applecart, but hey, I am with you on the Western Bulldogs,.
I am 44 and the last few years have been great , Centrals winning grand finals, Portsmouth winning the F.A cup.
So all the signs are there!!

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I'm 29 so probably haven't been through quite as many bad times but I've gotta say that I'm going to sleep every night dreaming about what may happen this year. I think the best thing about being Doggies supporters is that we are kind of used to being let down so it's easier for us to keep a lid on things.

Here's hoping we can at least get to the GF guys!!

P.S If we make it I'll be coming to the GF by myself so I'll be looking to meet up with other members to enjoy some beers!!

Twodogs
15-07-2008, 01:23 PM
My dad said to me a few years ago, I think it was the dim, dark days of 2004. "You reckon that after all these years of buying memberships, going to games, travelling everywhere to se the team play and unquestioning loyalty that a bloke would get to see at least one premieship in his lifetime"

"What are you talking about? You were 15 in 1954"

"Oh yeah...well it doesnt count after 50 ****ing years"

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Snapshot:

43 years of age.

(0 from 3)

All I can selfishly say is : Considering your record, if we make it...

DON'T GO TO THE GRAND FINAL!!!

Throughandthrough
15-07-2008, 01:51 PM
All I can selfishly say is : Considering your record, if we make it...

DON'T GO TO THE GRAND FINAL!!!

the same occured to me as I was typing.....

bornadog
15-07-2008, 02:35 PM
It would be nice to make a grandfinal let alone win one. The only ones I have seen are the old reserves competition:(

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm 44 too, and I've always said to my husband, that I just want that one week of anticipation, knowing we have made it. I usually also say I don't care what the outcome is, I just want to see the bulldogs there (I'm not sure if I'm being 100% truthful when I make this second statement).

He has always replied to me, that I don't know how much it hurts to make it and lose (he supports Hawthorn)

I usually reply that he doesn't know what if feels like to never make it.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I was born about 20 years after we last made the grand final. The first final that I went to was the 1997 prelimnary final (the worst day of my life), seeing us get that close to being there on grand final day, but just missing out, is somthing that I never want too experience again.

LostDoggy
15-07-2008, 11:33 PM
It would be nice to make a grandfinal let alone win one. The only ones I have seen are the old reserves competition:(

I remember watching those reserves GF's on the telly. I lapped up the wins even though it was only the 2's.

GetDimmaBack
15-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I was lucky enough, as a little kid, to go to the 1961 Prelim (the day Merv Hobbs took the Mark of the Century) and the GF the following week. My dad and I went to almost every game that year, but he lost interest after the GF loss and actually never went to another game...
I have been at a couple of prelims since 61, and like everyone else had my heart ripped out in 97.
I really want to see another GF with the Dogs in it - time is marching on!

A friend of mine, also a lifelong Dogs supporter/member, went to the 1995 Carlton premiership celebrations on the night of the GF and the next day, singing the song and waving the flags. When I asked her why, she said she just wanted to celebrate one premiership before she died!
You'd have to be a Dogs supporter to understand that one...

Sockeye Salmon
16-07-2008, 12:28 AM
I was lucky enough, as a little kid, to go to the 1961 Prelim (the day Merv Hobbs took the Mark of the Century) and the GF the following week. My dad and I went to almost every game that year, but he lost interest after the GF loss and actually never went to another game...
I have been at a couple of prelims since 61, and like everyone else had my heart ripped out in 97.
I really want to see another GF with the Dogs in it - time is marching on!

A friend of mine, also a lifelong Dogs supporter/member, went to the 1995 Carlton premiership celebrations on the night of the GF and the next day, singing the song and waving the flags. When I asked her why, she said she just wanted to celebrate one premiership before she died!

Nope. Struggling to follow that one.

bornadog
16-07-2008, 06:21 PM
I remember watching those reserves GF's on the telly. I lapped up the wins even though it was only the 2's.

My friend dragged me to the 1988 Grandfinal to Watch Melbourne get the biggest flogging of all time. It was such a boring match, the only consolation was watching the doggies reserves win.

I'm 44 too, and I've always said to my husband, that I just want that one week of anticipation, knowing we have made it. I usually also say I don't care what the outcome is, I just want to see the bulldogs there (I'm not sure if I'm being 100% truthful when I make this second statement).

He has always replied to me, that I don't know how much it hurts to make it and lose (he supports Hawthorn)

I usually reply that he doesn't know what if feels like to never make it.

I am with you and I bet so are every other Doggies supporter.

craigsahibee
16-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I want a first edition Weg Premiers Poster!

I want to be able to line up at the shops at 9:00am on the Monday after the GF to buy the DVD of the game.

I want to hug total strangers at the Whitten Oval after the GF.

I want to drink beer at exorbitant prices on the last Saturday night in September, and be happy whilst doing it.

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 09:56 PM

I want to be able to line up at the shops at 9:00am on the Monday after the GF to buy the DVD of the game.

I want to drink beer at exorbitant prices on the last Saturday night in September, and be happy whilst doing it.

What he said !!

cinder
16-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Here here!
I'm not allowing myself to think about any of that yet - too early!
We'll have more of an idea after this weekend.
Go Dogs!

PS. Did anyone fill in the WB survey? I answered 'strongly agree' to feeling personally insulted if anyone critisises the Bulldogs. I'm officially nuts!

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Stumbled across a bottle of port I bought from the club in either 2003 or 2004, I suprised the bloke on the phone so much when I agreed to buy it, that I got a sneaky suspicion that I was the only one that did that year:o Still it will be cracked open if the boys get up and win the flag;)

bornadog
17-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Stumbled across a bottle of port I bought from the club in either 2003 or 2004, I suprised the bloke on the phone so much when I agreed to buy it, that I got a sneaky suspicion that I was the only one that did that year:o Still it will be cracked open if the boys get up and win the flag;)

I got one too:p

1eyedog
17-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I got one too:p

I got one three;)

1eyedog
17-07-2008, 12:30 AM

The best post I've seen this week

Twodogs
17-07-2008, 12:52 PM

I could imagine killing or maiming every Carlton fan I could lay my hands on, but not celebrating their premierships...

Throughandthrough
28-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Snapshot:

43 years of age.

(0 from 3)

Bump...

Glenelg won the prelim today (smashing Sturt), in the gf next Sunday against Central Districts (their 9th gf in a row, our first for 16 years)

Go_Dogs
30-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I fell asleep at half time of the game.

In saying that though, Kirkby is still someone I think we should really look at (I also talked him up last year). Former Hawks rookie, has played 2 pretty good finals series this year and last year, and is a tall forward, ready to go.

LostDoggy
30-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Sorry ThroughandThrough but Centrals will smash ya just like in the Second Semi.

My mates the Gowans boys will clean you up - sons of Peter ex-West Footscray champion.

A mate of mine said last night that the cheer-leaders from Glenelg's last premiership can now be contacted at the Fullarton Elderly Citizens Home.

Don't know whether that's true or not:D

Throughandthrough
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
aah James and Chris Gowans...

The Liberatore's of the SANFL :)

Greta blokes off the field (and love the dogs I believe) and absolute filth on :rolleyes:

4 sleeps to go!

LostDoggy
01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Missed you not coming over last Friday to stay. Obviously, that would have meant our beloved doggies would have been in the GF and possibly 2 weeks of celebratory drinking while our wives wondered where we were.

P.S I even had a framed Scotty Welsh photo over your bed!

Go the Glenelg boys, I saw they were beaten the other week and assumed you were out of the finals race. Good to hear they have got one last chance to snag the flag.

Throughandthrough
03-10-2008, 01:01 AM
ah hah, cheers mate.

Three sleeps to go!

Next week off work :)

Throughandthrough
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
lost by seven goals.

Central Districts bulldogs win their seventh flag in nine seasons.

Scraggers
06-10-2008, 09:50 PM
lost by seven goals.

Central Districts bulldogs win their seventh flag in nine seasons.

Commiserations mate ... Next Year !!!

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
The Gowans do it again

Seven from nine winning Second Semi-Finals in a row

World record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go_Dogs
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
And my man Kirkby had a grand total of 4 possessions for the day.

LostDoggy
07-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I think the AFL Recruiters got him right

Throughandthrough
15-10-2008, 12:33 AM
And my man Kirkby had a grand total of 4 possessions for the day.

Had the flu all week, in hindsight shouldn't have played.

But he's not AFL standard though, but is a very good SANFL player (on his day...)