PDA

View Full Version : Who leads our defence?

Mofra
22-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Cast your mind back to 2005, when Chris Grant played a fair bit of his footy at CHB.

I remember he spent alot of time directing traffic, especially helping our Brian Harris wiith advice & positioning. He wasn't offically Captain, but was definately the leader of our back 6.

Now in 07, who fills the same role?
- I can't help thinking that SOS confused the bejeezus out of Harris until he lost confidence in his instinct:
- Morris is our no 1 stopper but needs to be led to the ball, so I don't think he is leadership material
- Gilbee spends as much time attacking as defending, so need to concentrate on his own game
- Hargrave knows what he is doing, but has lapses in concentration so should be free of leadership duties:
- No one else has yet stamped themselves as permanent defenders (apologies to Power, Griffen, Boyd, McMahon & Grant, but they will finds themselves all over the field).
Addision will take the scond flank in a year or two, but is still currently a fringe player.

Do we need a backline General, and if so who is the best candidate?

Mofra
22-02-2007, 10:07 PM
.... so I managed to post about our backline without mentioning Cam Wight, but I thought he looked really good in the practice match qtr 2 (on Bulldogs TV) ;)

Could he be the answer, or will Harris lift and take the role?

GVGjr
22-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I think Grant should be used there again in 2007. He is the general no doubt.

Smith was pretty good at organising things and will be missed and I think you underrate Morris's input into the teams structure. I also think Gilbee certainly has a leadership role to play in the back half despite his attacking nature. One option would be to have Monty back there. He would be very good at coaching and leading the defensive group.

One wild card for the role is Farren Ray. IMO he could hake a very good HBF and I rate him as a natural leader.

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Bloody good question, and if it's not Grant playing back I don't know.

Also begs the question who will it be post-Grant in 2008?

bulldogtragic
22-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Bloody good question, and if it's not Grant playing back I don't know.

Also begs the question who will it be post-Grant in 2008?
While I am starting to believe in Wight more and more, I see him as a running player much like he played in the intraclub match always running up the ground when we had possession. Not a general per-se that stays back and calms things. Could be Harris I think. Everitt and Williams are the other two big boys, but with their pace they two would be running. Harris for me is solid, takes good marks under pressure and led the AFL in 2006 with 1%ers. He wont be the loose man like Grant was sometimes, but Harris has the attributes for mine.

bornadog
22-02-2007, 10:43 PM
He wont be the loose man like Grant was sometimes, but Harris has the attributes for mine.

I agree, I think Harris needs to step up and become the backline General so to speak. Mofra hit the nail on the head, SOS confused the hell out of Harris. I don't know what it is but I have never rated Silvani. All he did was hang on to players all day and the umpires let it go, it was an absolute discrace the way he played and got away with it. There I have said it.

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 10:45 PM
IIRC, Harris has the most experience after Grant. But is he a leader? And should it be someone from the HB line?

bulldogtragic
22-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Depending on the team Harris may be CHb ala Jon Brown.

Harris if not a leader, should be putting up his hand and demanding to be. I think he is a leader, anyone who leads the AFL in 1%ers like spoiling, smoothers and shepards and how can take the biggest men and perform under pressure is a leader by their very actions.

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Don't doubt his deeds, but is he leadership material?

Also not saying that he's not, but it begs the greater question which of our best players are leadership material and which aren't? And why?

BulldogBelle
22-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I think Grant should be used there again in 2007. He is the general no doubt.

Agree with that, I always feel safe and comfortable when he patrols the defence region, although after he retires, I am still unsure who would step into Chris's role as it will be one which will be extremely difficult to fill. There is only one Chris Grant.

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Agree with that, I always feel safe and comfortable when he patrols the defence region, although after he retires, I am still unsure who would step into Chris's role as it will be one which will be extremely difficult to fill. There is only one Chris Grant.

True, but given this is his last year, who do we look to in 2008 and beyond?

BulldogBelle
22-02-2007, 11:39 PM

Not sure DR, will have to watch intently during the season and try and figure who can make that next step and take on a role like that. Will be an interesting season.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2007, 11:46 PM

It's a narrow list;

Long term it's either Williams or Everitt. Probably looking 2009+ for them though. Leaving, for the meantime, either Harris or Wight.

Morris could be an option of some sort, but I think the "general" in a Chris Grant mould would have to be one of the bigger guys.

You'd probably have to say Harris for 2008+ with hope that Williams is able to contribute in the later stages of this year, and then more so in '08 and '09.

Dry Rot
23-02-2007, 12:14 AM
IIRC Eade is on record that Williams was recruited as "a power forward".

I could be wrong, but I think that in the coming seasons that Wight, Everitt and Williams can't all play Chb.

LostDoggy
23-02-2007, 08:28 AM
It surely couldn't be Brian Harris. If he was confused by SOS (and you would have to ask him if that was the case), and has to concentrate on not being confused (playing his own game well), why would you want him now to be watching over everyone else? A leader who can tell others where to be as well as play their own game.......has to be Granty or Monty...they have the experience. And experience is a must to know the nuances of the game so you can play your own game yet be aware of what others are doing and should be doing, particularly under sustained pressure.

Hard Ball Get
23-02-2007, 11:44 AM
I think it has to be Harris in the future.
He needs to find his confidence obviously but under guidence from Grant and a few others I think he could turn into a pretty good leader.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2007, 09:57 AM
I could see a bloke like Wight doing it. He has a great attack on the ball, very competitive. Grant will probably play a little bit down back this year, mainly dropping back to fill holes rather than dominating at CHB. Grant can help out a lot though, getting players to focus and in the right spots.

Gilbee is another one who is really like a general down back.

Harris has the potential to do something, but he really needs to work at his concentration on confidence. He's still a vital player for us, but I thought he fell back a bit last year, which was disappointing considering how well he started the year.

firstdogonthemoon
24-02-2007, 06:34 PM
after today - and the brian harris supergoal i am not so sure

is it Doogs?

bulldogtragic
24-02-2007, 06:41 PM
after today - and the brian harris supergoal i am not so sure

is it Doogs?
If Doogs can hit the target more often, then it could very well be him. I like his attack on the ball, his attack on the man can be weaker sometimes, and he kicks very well. Today he was excellent but didn't hit many targets when roaming CHB, if he hits them he'll be the new general.

LostDoggy
24-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Give us a break. He's played one game for us against a half baked Swans' team. Leadership requires a great deal more than that! (mental awareness and toughness, instructing and teaching ability, sacrifice, fearlessness, ability to read the play, ability to spot opposition weaknesses and plan accordingly to take advantage of, rear and peripheral vision.....)

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Give us a break. He's played one game for us against a half baked Swans' team. Leadership requires a great deal more than that! (mental awareness and toughness, instructing and teaching ability, sacrifice, fearlessness, ability to read the play, ability to spot opposition weaknesses and plan accordingly to take advantage of, rear and peripheral vision.....)

I think some are too keen to jump onto the McDougall bandwagon. While it was a good display and one that should give him some more confidence it was as you say against a depleted side. Lets see how he goes over the next couple of weeks.

LostDoggy
24-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I thought Harris was brilliant today.If anyone questions his leadership abilities I think they are mistaken.

Mofra
24-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought Harris was brilliant today.If anyone questions his leadership abilities I think they are mistaken.
Leadership is shown in many ways, example is one of them. Although Harris seemed to play a little more in the 05/early 06 style (his better style) I still think he needs to show a bit more discipline.

LostDoggy
24-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Although Harris seemed to play a little more in the 05/early 06 style (his better style) I still think he needs to show a bit more discipline.

Yeah, I agree with that Harris still has that two match suspension to serve in Rnds 1 & 2 if he can get the discipline side of things settled he will be the better for it. IMO he just lacks something at the moment.