PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Finals Wildcard?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Even though we're still a few weeks away from Finals football, I thought it'd be interesting to begin making predictions on who our 'wild card' will be for the Finals. It doesn't have to be somebody from left field - it could be Cooney, Griffen etc. I suppose a little run down on how & why you think the player will be the wild card would be insightful too.

Personally, I'm going with Tommy Williams. I questioned him prior to his first few games this year, he didn't appear match ready at all, but he came in and did a fantastic job. He really did well on Franklin who was in absolutely red hot form and from that week onwards, he really started to settle into AFL Football. His skills were good, his decision making was good & he was getting the defending/attacking spot on. Just started to take some strong grabs too, and then he went down to an injury.

For mine, he settles the backline. It gives us the perfect flexibility with him, Lake & Everitt. All three are mobile defenders who are particularly good at spoiling the ball. They all provide good defense & run off the backline - Lake is one of the best FB's in the comp whilst Everitt has fantastic skills. Additionally, it releases Morris & in particular Hargrave to oppose players their own height/weight. Both Morris & Hargrave have been in career best form lately. Having Lake, Williams & Everitt is handy too - means we're able to switch the matchups around and even throw one of them up forward, or in Everitt's case, on the wing. IMHO it cuts Lake some slack as well because too often he felt the need to help out one of the other defenders, often resulting in a direct goal to his opponent. Having Williams back down there really helps Lake, and we seem to function much, much better.

Due to Tommy not playing too many games, it's also still a bit of the 'unknown' with sides - they don't really know what to expect, and to a degree - neither do we. If he's able to keep improving and play quality football, that can only be a bit of a bonus - especially up against Geelong & Hawthorn who regularly have three talls up forward. Tommy has plenty of ability - he can mark, kick & run - all he needs is game time. If we're able to get some into him prior to Finals, he should be cherry ripe, and because of that 'unknown' factor it gives a 'secret weapon' of some sorts. Premierships are generally won by a good defense and with Williams in there, we're pretty solid.

Welsh & Hahn would be my next choices in terms of 'looking a little deeper' than the obvious ones, too. Welsh played a very good game v Hawthorn last year and is crucial to our set-up (as shown by his absence on sunday), whilst Hahn's game style is exactly what Finals footy's all about.

Mofra
16-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I'll go one from old-field. Westy.
He knows how to get the job done, will add experience & toughness which are vital in finals.

We also could have a fit & firing Higgins abailable come finals time, who has added size & you'd assume is niggle free unlike most players running around. I'd prefer Higgins to Hill on the wing with his strength over the ball, and the unlucky Harbrow (despite his defensive strength & attack on the footy) would also be behind Higgo.

bulldog
16-07-2008, 09:43 PM
shaun higgins

osakabulldog
16-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Farren Ray - hes getting better and better every week and doesnt get the attention that Cooney, Griffen et al get.

Rocket Science
16-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Raging Bull: Mitch Hahn

Looking forward to him uncorking his heady blend of pack busting, hard nosed tackling and timely goals in the heat of September action. Invaluable.

Madone
16-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Scotty Welsh kicking 8 goals and taking mark of the year

LostDoggy
16-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Farren Ray - hes getting better and better every week and doesnt get the attention that Cooney, Griffen et al get.

BOG in the last final we won against Collingwood.

1eyedog
17-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Aker, the man is made for finals and can turn a game in a quarter.

wimberga
17-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Ill go with Farren Ray aswell. In the tight physical games that are september action, players like Ray who can grab the pill and run with it are invaluable at breaking the game open.

2nd would have to be Akermanis. Not just in terms of what he can do on the field, but just the experience he brings to the club from so may finals campaigns (succesful ones) will be invaluable.

close 3rd goes to Mitch Hahn. As people have already alluded to, hes the kinda player you want in your team during finals. Makes the tackles stick and hurt, can kick a few goals in morale boosting style and never gives up

Go_Dogs
17-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Griffen. I can picture his Norm Smith winning runs down the wing kicking long goals and setting them up as I type.

LostDoggy
17-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Bobby Murphy. His relaxed frame of mind will help settle everyone down and keep our structure in place.

Sockeye Salmon
17-07-2008, 01:13 PM
We've gone this far with Johnno playing a bit part.

If he can do what we all know he can do - look out!

Rach
17-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Aker. I think mainly because of his ability to kick freakish/inspirational goals and he's a finals veteran!

hujsh
17-07-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm with Sockeye. Johnno

Scraggers
18-07-2008, 03:26 AM
It has to be Rocket Eade ... his game plans and set plays are the best in the business and have been since his time at Sydney ... I think he is our ace up the sleeve

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2008, 08:23 PM
It has to be Rocket Eade ... his game plans and set plays are the best in the business and have been since his time at Sydney ... I think he is our ace up the sleeve

Not a bad observation at all.

He's managed our list extremely well this year, he's got a lot out of players who I thought would struggle to play a role (Addison, Tiller etc. whilst Williams, Everitt & several others have been rock solid). Finally, our potential has been realised and we're playing to our ability - much of the credit must goto Rocket.

It'll be interesting if Rocket changes anything for the Finals, eg. giving Johnson a more dangerous FP/FF role again, or if we see players like Akermanis singled out at times as the sole FF. Perhaps he may even swing Griffen down back if in need?

Either way, the finals series will be be intriguing and very much a game of chess.

firstdogonthemoon
18-07-2008, 08:55 PM
What about scott west? He will come back and free up all those people doing his job and they will run around and do different stuff and the opposition will freak out.

BulldogBelle
18-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Word. Firstdog. Word.

LostDoggy
19-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Aker is always gunna be one of those players to shine, but i think Morris could be our savior, keeping 2nd tall forwards to nothing.

LostDoggy
20-07-2008, 12:31 PM
What about scott west? He will come back and free up all those people doing his job and they will run around and do different stuff and the opposition will freak out.

Maybe those guys doing his job -- Crossy, Boyd -- will be the ones who freak out when they have nothing to do and have to learn to kick again!

westdog54
20-07-2008, 03:20 PM
After watching yesterday's game, I'll say Jarrod Harbrow. His willingness to chase, tackle, create contests and take risks was most impressive for a second year player.

As for the turnover in the 3rd quarter, all I'll ask is, why was he left 2 on 1 at half back? Where was the support?

Happy Days
20-07-2008, 05:17 PM
After watching yesterday's game, I'll say Jarrod Harbrow. His willingness to chase, tackle, create contests and take risks was most impressive for a second year player.

As for the turnover in the 3rd quarter, all I'll ask is, why was he left 2 on 1 at half back? Where was the support?

In all fairness to Harbrow, I don't think he'll be suiting up come finals time...

I'm gonna go with Higgins. Like Westy, he's sort of become the forgotten man, and he knows where the goals are, which will come in handy in a close one.

Mantis
20-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Happened quite a lot.

The Geelong team hunted in packs, we didn't.

The Geelong team got number's at the contest, we didn't.

The Geelong player's ran to supprt each other, we didn't.

Well we did in parts, but not for the full 120min like Geelong did.

Scraggers
21-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Happened quite a lot.

The Geelong team hunted in packs, we didn't.

The Geelong team got number's at the contest, we didn't.

The Geelong player's ran to supprt each other, we didn't.

Well we did in parts, but not for the full 120min like Geelong did.

Agree

Agree

Agree

Agree

The best part is ... we are capable ... in the majority of our 15 rounds this year we have done all of the above for the full 120 minutes, and this is what we will have to do again to make it to the last Saturday in September

Rocket Science
21-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Was particularly taken with Geelong's capacity to consistently outnumber us in contested/loose ball situations...two-on-one's, three-on-two's...they're particularly good at creating numerical advantages around the ground where one Dog was left to toil against two or three Cats. They're extremely good at creating the sorts of situations which effectively makes the game easier for themselves.

This produced some mighty singular efforts from some of our boys, mostly early, but you can't remain competitive in the face of that all day.

Reminds me a little of a quote by ice hockey icon Wayne Gretzky, who when once asked about the method behind his five-time Stanley Cup winning Edmonton Oilers' domination of the NHL during the 80's declared that they simply broke their opponents down by "two-on-one'ing" them into submission.

Provided the work rate's there there's no physical or skill barrier to applying ourselves in this way. It's a matter of playing intelligent football.

The Pie Man
21-07-2008, 09:26 AM
There's a photo in the Herald Sun this morning that perfectly illustrates this point - Joel Corey turning with the footy (presumably towards the forward 50) and behind him running forward with intent are five Cats just out of focus, Harley & Scarlett amongst them. You can see one Dog on the edge of the pic backtracking. Fair reflection of the whole game and their very successful game plan.

I thought the Herald Sun's 'Cats expose Dogs as pretenders' on the front page yesterday was a bit harsh. Eade may just keep a copy of that headline