PDA

View Full Version : Boundary umps: then there were four

The Coon Dog
17-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Boundary umps: then there were four (http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=63586)

FOUR boundary umpires will be used in AFL matches leading into the 2008 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

The AFL Executive has approved a submission from the umpiring department to implement the system, which has been trialled several times in past pre-season matches and in this year’s Hall of Fame tribute match.

The system allows for two boundary umpires on each side of the ground. Currently three boundary umpires are used.

Under the new system, one boundary umpire on each side of the ground will start in the traditional position on the point of the centre square, with the other boundary umpire on each side to begin play around the half-forward region.

"For this year's finals series, the AFL umpiring department put forward a submission that we should use our extra on-ground resources when we have them available, to ensure that we can be in the best possible position for all line decisions,” Gieschen said.

“We are delighted this has been approved by the AFL executive."

Gieschen said the AFL would practice using the four boundary umpire system in rounds 21 and 22 so that umpires are familiar with the system when used in the finals series.

Scraggers
17-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I think we need six goal umpires as well ... talk about over officiating ... there is already too many stopages in our game

The Coon Dog
17-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with 4 boundary umps. The ball travels so fast now, sometimes a boundary umpire can be 60 metres behind the play; how would he determine if a ball was in or out from that far?

At the end of the day you want the correct call & the best way is to have a boundary umpire responsible for a quarter of the ground.

strebla
17-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree with 4 boundary umps. The ball travels so fast now, sometimes a boundary umpire can be 60 metres behind the play; how would he determine if a ball was in or out from that far?

At the end of the day you want the correct call & the best way is to have a boundary umpire responsible for a quarter of the ground.

Absolutely correct Coon dog getting it right at the pointy end of the season is the most important thing

ledge
17-07-2008, 09:23 PM
As long as they do not go on the playing field shouldnt be a problem.

1eyedog
17-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I posted about this last month and got shouted down as people thought it was over-officiating. It probably is, but it's fairer given the Adam McPhee debacle (out of bounds and goaled) during the Sydney v Essendon game. Imagine if that happened in a Grand Final! I think it's long overdue.

Scraggers
18-07-2008, 02:49 AM
I posted about this last month and got shouted down as people thought it was over-officiating. It probably is, but it's fairer given the Adam McPhee debacle (out of bounds and goaled) during the Sydney v Essendon game. Imagine if that happened in a Grand Final! I think it's long overdue.

It did didn't it ... 1979, Wayne Harmes ... Collingwood fans still haven't got over that incident ...

But i still say 4 boundary umpires is two too many ... the game has survived well without this many umpires for over a hundred years, and yes the game is quicker, but the umpires are now professional (no pies and beers at half time) and should be able to keep up with play, or at least position themselves to make an informed desision ... the Adam McPhee incident you mention, the boundary umpire was less than twenty meters from the play, but was blind-sided by McPhees body. This is going to happen regardless how many umpires there are.

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Nothing wrong with trialling it. Let's just see how it goes. I am of the opinion that we do need four, for the reasons TCD mentioned earlier.

The Underdog
18-07-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't think I could be any more ambivalent about this. When I start worrying about boundary umpires then I think I'll have gone too far.

bornadog
18-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Apparently the umpiring department will apply for four field umpires next year. The most over officiated game in the world.

1eyedog
18-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Apparently the umpiring department will apply for four field umpires next year. The most over officiated game in the world.

That's right you were the one:D

1eyedog
18-07-2008, 02:55 PM
It did didn't it ... 1979, Wayne Harmes ... Collingwood fans still haven't got over that incident ...

But i still say 4 boundary umpires is two too many ... the game has survived well without this many umpires for over a hundred years, and yes the game is quicker, but the umpires are now professional (no pies and beers at half time) and should be able to keep up with play, or at least position themselves to make an informed desision ... the Adam McPhee incident you mention, the boundary umpire was less than twenty meters from the play, but was blind-sided by McPhees body. This is going to happen regardless how many umpires there are.

It wont if there is also one in front of him.

The game also survived well without clash jumpers for 75 years, now everyone is yahooing where are the clash jumpers.

bornadog
18-07-2008, 03:12 PM
That's right you were the one:D

I thought I would add that one in, just for you:D

1eyedog
18-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I thought I would add that one in, just for you:D

Thanks for the mirth bornadog, much appreciated :)

The Coon Dog
18-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Starts this weekend.

1eyedog
18-08-2008, 09:41 PM

Was it ever proved that the ball was out? Harmes has always remained tight-lipped about it which is probably an indication in itself.

westdog54
19-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Was it ever proved that the ball was out? Harmes has always remained tight-lipped about it which is probably an indication in itself.

The more I watch the replay, the more I'm convinced the ball didn't entirely cross the line. I think the correct call was made on the day.

As for 4 boundary umpires, I think its a common sense move given the speed of the game, particularly the speed of counter-attacking from quick kick-ins.

But i still say 4 boundary umpires is two too many ... the game has survived well without this many umpires for over a hundred years, and yes the game is quicker, but the umpires are now professional (no pies and beers at half time) and should be able to keep up with play.

Being paid doesn't make you a professional. You are a professional if you do your job as your main occupation/source of income. Most field umpires have careers outside of football, let alone boundary umpires. They are certainly not professional and should not be held to the same fitness standards as players, particularly when the can't go to the bench for 5 minute spells during a quarter.