PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see on Saturday?

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Playing the Swans on Saturday, we are missing a number of players.

Will Eade play some surprises or experiments? - given this is far from a Rd 1 team and the Swans are similarly weakened.

What do you want to see? Some WCE fans reckon McDougall could be good at CHB.

Will Pask play? If so, what position?

Here are the squads from http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32047&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

WESTERN BULLDOGS

1. Farren Ray, 4. Daniel Cross, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Brad Johnson, 7. Scott West, 9. Lindsay Gilbee, 13. Daniel Giansiracusa, 15. Sam Power, 16. Ryan Griffen, 18. Cameron Faulkner, 19. Shaun Higgins, 20. Travis Baird, 21. Jason Akermanis, 22. Dylan Addison, 23. Jordan McMahon, 27. Will Minson, 28. Damien McCormack, 29. Andrejs Everitt, 30. Matthew Robbins, 31. Josh Hill, 32. Andrew McDougall, 34. Wayde Skipper, 36. Brian Harris, 37. Cameron Wight. 39. Malcolm Lynch, 40. Jarrod Harbrow, 41. Marty Pask, 43. Brett Montgomery.

SYDNEY

2. Nick Davis, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 4. Ben Matthews, 5. Ryan O’Keefe, 6. Craig Bolton, 8. Daniel O’Keefe, 9. Nick Malceski, 18. Jesse White, 22. Matthew Laidlaw, 23. Peter Faulks, 25. Ted Richards, 26. Sean Dempster, 27. Kristin Thornton, 29. Jonathan Simpkin, 31. Brett Kirk, 32. Amon Buchanan, 34. Ryan Brabazon, 35. Daniel Currie, 36. Tim Schmidt, 37. Adam Goodes, 38. Luke Vogels, 40. Nick Smith, 41. Ed Barlow, 42. Paul Bevan, 45. Earl Shaw, 46. Sam Rowe, 47. Simon Phillips, 48. Kieren Jack.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Personally, not necessarily from a team perspective, i want to see the kids playing and being given a licence to thrill particularly Hill, Lynch and Harbrow. Give them all a taste of the big time. Pask didn't show a great deal in the intraclub up forward, but doesn't have a match-up back, so if he does play probably forward. Doogs has to play forward imo, we need to see what we have. Also looking forward to my other man baird getting a good run.

BulldogBelle
22-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Perhaps seeing some experimentation with certain positions on the field, try different players in different roles. Bring the kids on to give them a taste of what they are to expect. Whilst I would like a win, for membership purposes - the NAB cup I view as a learning curve in readiness for the season proper to start.

bornadog
22-02-2007, 11:05 PM
A competitive team and a big win:)

Can Pask play he is on the rookie list? What is the rule for rookie in the preason?

bulldogtragic
22-02-2007, 11:14 PM
A competitive team and a big win:)

Can Pask play he is on the rookie list? What is the rule for rookie in the preason?
Rookies can play. Pask and Harbrow are right to play.

Dry Rot
22-02-2007, 11:22 PM
I want to see lynch, harbrow and pask play. And that aker bloke in red, white and bliue.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2007, 11:34 PM
What I'd like to see?

* Doogs be played out at CHF or FF. Give him the whole game, and let's see what he can do. These NAB Games are his chance to crack into the line-up and we need to give him every opportunity.

* Pask to play at either FF or CHF too with perhaps a bit of time down back. Again, we need to see what he can do at this stage of the year. It's a good test for him.

* Harbrow to be let loose in the midfield. No tagging jobs or run with roles. Just send the kid to go and play on instinct, and let's see how he handles the extra pressure. Big wraps for him in the Training Reports, and an experience such as this can only better his development as a footballer.

* Power to be given a lot of game time, to continue his improvement, preferably on a HFF.

* Addison to be given a role in the midfield for a quarter or so, and the rest down back. I think he could string a few games together this year, he has developed quickly.

* Minson at FF. Just a case of trying to educate Will, and he's only going to learn by playing there. This is good practice for him.

Other then that, Griffen & Higgins in the midfield, Faulkner 75+% game time with stints in the midfield and up forward, Baird a role on the HFF & Wight to hold down CHB.

GVGjr
23-02-2007, 05:22 AM
Rookies can play. Pask and Harbrow are right to play.

Spot on.

Harbrow
(http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=311)

GVGjr
23-02-2007, 05:27 AM
This an article about the Swans (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/22/1171733950667.html)

Eight-man bench puts Goodes back in the frame for Bulldogs clash

Samantha Lane, Canberra
February 23, 2007

BROWNLOW medallist Adam Goodes will have an unexpected first competitive hitout of the year by virtue of the extreme heat policy being invoked for tomorrow's Sydney-Bulldogs match at Manuka.

Despite naming Goodes in their squad of 28, the Swans had decided to leave their brilliant big man out of the first-round NAB Cup game before the AFL told both teams late yesterday that they could use an eight-man bench.

Tomorrow's forecast in Canberra, where it has been humid all week, is 33 degrees.

Goodes will fly with his teammates to Canberra this afternoon.

Sydney's football operations manager Andrew Ireland last night confirmed that Goodes would play and estimated he'd be used for a maximum of 60 minutes over the four quarters. "Adam clearly won't be able to play a full game, but he'll at least be able to help share the load around," Ireland said.

Depending on the heat, there will be an option to extend the 20-minute half-time break by five minutes.

Goodes and forward Michael O'Loughlin were withdrawn from the Indigenous All-Stars game against Essendon in Darwin two weeks ago after confusion over Sydney's request that its dual Brownlow medallist only play seven minutes a quarter.

Initially, the club had an undertaking to that effect from the All-Stars, but All-Stars coach Michael McLean later expressed dissatisfaction with the constraint and neither Swan took part.

Brett Kirk, Ryan O'Keefe, Amon Buchanan and now Goodes are the four senior Sydney regulars included for tomorrow's match who did not play against Collingwood last weekend.

All-Australian defender Craig Bolton has added his name to the long list of people frustrated by the rule change that will police in-the-back contact more heavily this year. "We were surprised that there was no consultation with the players or coaches," the Sydney backman said.

"I guess as a playing group, we're probably a little bit concerned with the amount of changes that happen — that's speaking on behalf of only the Swans players, obviously.

"Generally speaking, we probably didn't think there was a need to have too many changes, but that's the direction the AFL's gone, so we'll have to see how it pans out."

Like his coach Paul Roos, Magpies coach Mick Malthouse and Collingwood skipper and member of the laws of the game committee Nathan Buckley, Bolton said the routine of having to adapt to a new rule every pre-season was wearing thin.

"I can't speak on (behalf) of every player, but as a playing group, it's a little bit frustrating for us.

"Whether or not it's going to advantage or disadvantage forwards and defenders is probably the main question and how much of an impact that will have.

"I guess in the past, some of the adjustments haven't been as big as everyone's made out, so hopefully they won't be again this year."

The Western Bulldogs train at Manuka Oval this morning before tomorrow's match. The NAB Cup fixture is a handy dress rehearsal for their round-nine home-and-away game against the Swans.

"It's been a long time since that West Coast game and we've got a lot of demons, I suppose, to put to bed," Bulldogs midfielder Daniel Cross said yesterday of his team's 74-point semi-final loss last year. "It was a bad match for us, and we're looking forward to getting out there on Saturday.

"I think we're just excited about playing with each other again."

Both teams will be without some of their best players, with coaches Rodney Eade and Roos keeping several of their big-name players on ice.

One player who won't be rested, though, is the usually outspoken Jason Akermanis, who has slapped himself with a self-imposed media ban in the lead-up to the match.

His Bulldog teammates, however, were more than happy to sing his praise. "If he ran past me, I would certainly give (the ball) to him," Cross said. "Our style suits his style … it would be great for him to be up in the midfield."

Cross said the lure of $1 million for any club that wins the premiership and NAB Cup had barely rated a mention in the pre-season. "It's a nice incentive (but) it's not the be-all and the end-all … our preparation for round one is the most important thing."

Raw Toast
23-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Well I want to see us win ( I really do hate losing, even in recfooty) but want us to do what is best for our coming season (and further development). So I'd like to see McDougall given at least a half up forward to show what he can do.

Harbrow played on the hfb in intraclub I reckon, so that's where I would play him (if he's going to be elevated that or the forward flank is where he'll get a gig). I'd be happy to rest Robbins and Baird to make sure they're cherry ripe, but if they need a run then I'm happy for that to be a factor as well (and if we lose because of it I'll just grit my teeth).

I'd like us to focus on winning the clearences and contested possessions. I know the Swan's have a weakened side, but this is their strength and I'd really like us to take them on and see where we're at (as the saying goes).

alwaysadog
23-02-2007, 03:27 PM
A win would be nice but it's also a chance for a few lesser lights to sparkle. Would love to see second year, second tier and recruits to generate some drive.

The Coon Dog
23-02-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't just want to see a win, I want to slaughter the Swans (ala Richmond in round 1 last year). I'm not into this touchy feely nonsense of using the NAB Cup as a place to experiment, try that at training. Use this to get a solid win, get used to the feeling of winning & make it a habit.

I want us to win EVERY game we play, even the NAB Cup. I was filthy when we lost to Melbourne last year. I just hate losing.

Remember, if 2 teams from different states make it to the NAB Cup Grand Final, the side that has kicked the most goals in the 3 previous games gets to host it. I want us to win it here in Melbourne.

I'm looking forward to seeing Griff cut lose in the middle, tho I expect Kirk to wear him like a glove, might just allow Westy to run amok.

Keen to see Shaun Higgins drift forward & snag a few goals.

Also, just want to see that new bloke with the blond hair in #21. They say he can play a bit.

LostDoggy
23-02-2007, 04:21 PM
No Injuries

Palace03
23-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Firstly a win, I hate loosing, even in practice matches. It would be good to get an early glimpse of a few draftees, however I hope the guys fighting for their spot on the list get a crack first. I'd love to see Faulkner, Skipper and McCormack really impress and push for selection in Round 1.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 09:04 AM
No Injuries

I'm hoping for that plus a fair bit more. I really want to see a good display but a number of our guys.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Firstly a win, I hate loosing, even in practice matches. It would be good to get an early glimpse of a few draftees, however I hope the guys fighting for their spot on the list get a crack first. I'd love to see Faulkner, Skipper and McCormack really impress and push for selection in Round 1.

Getting good games from Faulkner and Skipper is vital for a team looking for playing depth throughout the season. These guys are not in our best 22 at them moment but a good display today will do wonders for team selections once the H&A season starts.
Nothing better for the club is for them to struggle at the selection table because they have so many guys knocking the door down.

Go_Dogs
24-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Does having the 8 man bench give more of a chance to guys like Lynch to get a run do you think?

I'd really like to see us win the game, injury free, and see some different faces in different places. McMahon, Griffen, Higgins, Faulkner, would be good to see these guys get a bit of a run through the middle. I'd like to see Addison playing off half back, Wight doing well.

I also want Gilbee to kick a few super goals.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Does having the 8 man bench give more of a chance to guys like Lynch to get a run do you think?

I'd really like to see us win the game, injury free, and see some different faces in different places. McMahon, Griffen, Higgins, Faulkner, would be good to see these guys get a bit of a run through the middle. I'd like to see Addison playing off half back, Wight doing well.

I also want Gilbee to kick a few super goals.

An 8 man bench really does give an opportunity for a few of the youngsters to get some game time. Harbrow and Everitt should get a lot of minutes on the ground and Pask and McDougall will have a great chance to impress the fans.

LostDoggy
24-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Agree about the "no injuries". They're bad at any time, but losing players during this pre-season comp is even worse.

Still as Coon Dog says (and boy are you fired up!) losing is the pits! Expect everyone (both sides) to be rusty. I would like to see Skipper have a really good game and impose himself - he has certainly been a work in progress. Is he looking more solid this pre-season?

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd love to see it on Television.

Stupid Foxtel.

alwaysadog
25-02-2007, 11:55 AM
A win would be nice but it's also a chance for a few lesser lights to sparkle. Would love to see second year, second tier and recruits to generate some drive.

I don't like cycles of mutual citation and quoting yourself is even worse, but I'm pretty happy today about the dogs at least. Got what I wanted out of yesterday.

Dougs and the recruits, showed something and while it's not huge yet it's what we could reasonably expect from them. Few let us down and overall it looked like evidence of the much heralded across the board improvement.

Would be more happy if the AFL site could show highlights or a replay but although a BogPond (intentional) cable customer I get asked to log in and when I click OK it crashes my computer. Not such a good start to the season for them. Hope they have done some intensive preseason training but I supect it will just be in how to not admit to failure.