PDA

View Full Version : Mr Clayton

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:25 AM
I just heard that our recruiting manager has recruited 21 players of our 22 going out on the field at the moment ( johnno being the exception) sounds like a great effort or is it he has been here so long he has to have been involved in all of them.
Do we have other recruiters also?

Sockeye Salmon
18-07-2008, 12:36 AM
I don't know how true that is.

Wallace wanted Eagleton, for example, how much input into that did Clayton have?

Akermanis, Hudson, Welsh?

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Was mentioned by Taylor on Fox, he said that only West and Johnno were not recruited by him.
Thats why I posted it, just how true is it and is quite an interesting statement to make.
He is known as the best recruiter going around, didnt he build the lions for the 3 premierships they got?
Another great grab from Smorgon!

hujsh
18-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Was mentioned by Taylor on Fox, he said that only West and Johnno were not recruited by him.
Thats why I posted it, just how true is it and is quite an interesting statement to make.
He is known as the best recruiter going around, didnt he build the lions for the 3 premierships they got?

Was also said on TFS tonight

LostDoggy
18-07-2008, 02:22 AM
Any recruiter that has been at the same club for 9/10 years could almost claim the same thing though. Don't get me wrong I'd take Clayton over anyone else though.

Mantis
18-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Wallet was the person who wanted him.

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Any recruiter that has been at the same club for 9/10 years could almost claim the same thing though. Don't get me wrong I'd take Clayton over anyone else though.

I would presume that too, but to be at a club 9-10 years is that a great achievement in itself?
How many other recruiters last that long? Is it common?
Theres a lot of ways recruiting can work, eg does the coach say who he wants position wise or does the recruiter just report on every one.
In the end the coach i would say chooses the best options depending on the team make up he wants.
Is the recruiting manager the actual talent spotter or is his job just to get the deal done?
Is it both?
Coon Dog you went to the draft maybe you can fill us in on how we go about it.

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Will GC17 come sniffing around Mr Clayton? With the limited high picks to be available from 2009 draft for a couple of years, Scott Clyton's value to the club will be increased dramatically over the next few years. We will need to open the vault if we want him to stay.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Coon Dog you went to the draft maybe you can fill us in on how we go about it.

Scott Clayton has the final say, drafting wise, unsure how it works re: trading.

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:26 PM
The AFL are sneaky, when Cook from Geelong was asked about the GC17 he said he was approached by the AFL, but when Demetriou was asked about Cook he replied we havent approached anyone.
These question were asked by a reporter doing background on how the AFL was looking for club officials and were they poaching as of course it will affect other clubs.
One of the 2 is not telling the truth.
My opinion, of course they are poaching officials, why dont they do it out in the open and just advertize it in the papers or within the AFL instead of back dooring clubs?

The Coon Dog
18-07-2008, 12:30 PM
^^^^^

Trying to work out the relevance in this thread?

ledge
18-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Scott Clayton has the final say, drafting wise, unsure how it works re: trading.

So Coon if your the coach and sitting at the table doing a pick and you and the recruiting manager are at loggerheads as to who to pick, the recruiting manager gets the nod?
Thats interesting, I can see how things can go pearshaped very quickly if the coach is adamant he wants a certain player or visa versa.
Then again i suppose it all depends on how the coaches and recruiters contracts are written as to who gets final say.
Would be great to see how things work within a club on player choices and how they work together to get the maximum return.
Never heard a bad word about Scotty Clayton, he must have excellent people skills, apart from picking talent at a young age.
As just a supporter from outside the club, I am very impressed with the top of our tree, Smorgon, Rose, Fantasia,Clayton and Eade, a lot of other clubs would be in envy.

Topdog
18-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I can't imagine a coach ever really being adamant about wanting a player.

He would have watched them a minimal amount of time compared to someone who has been tracking the player for 2 years.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't imagine a coach ever really being adamant about wanting a player.

He would have watched them a minimal amount of time compared to someone who has been tracking the player for 2 years.

I know one coach who was adament he didn't want a player. He was subsequently drafted by Adelaide, before we got him this year!

Mantis
18-07-2008, 01:49 PM
I know one coach who was adament he didn't want a player. He was subsequently drafted by Adelaide, before we got him this year!

So we could have been on the Rohde to glory before now.

Happy Days
18-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Ever been a case of a player requesting the drafting of a certain player to the club?

Just heard a story from the NFL about Ben Rothlisberger requesting the drafting of a tall reciever and the club acted upon this request.

Mofra
18-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Ever been a case of a player requesting the drafting of a certain player to the club?
Not so much drafting, but one would presume some guy named Terry would have had a bit to do with Brown, Bowden & McMahon going to Richmond.

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Not so much drafting, but one would presume some guy named Terry would have had a bit to do with Brown, Bowden & McMahon going to Richmond.

Understand Brown & McMahon but Wallace had plenty of chances to play Bowden but plainly refused to. His first game was against the Tiggers and Wallace played him for all of about 10 minutes I reckon.

Cyberdoggie
18-07-2008, 06:22 PM

exactly it's his job,

how else could he not be involved in recruiting the players?

bizarre topic if you ask me.

mjp
18-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I actually think this is very amusing. Why aren't people out saying that Woodhouse recruited all 22 players on West Coast's list this weekend...or more specifically, making the same statements about Clayton before round 22 last year.