PDA

View Full Version : Round 16 : Opposition Player Focus - Steve Johnson

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks to Twodogs for giving me the opportunity to complete this weeks opposition player focus.

I apologise for the delay in posting this thread but we had a communication issue.

Steven Johnson

DOB: 4th July 1983
Height: 189cm
Weight; 89 kg’s
Recruited From: Murray Bushrangers U18’s
Debut: 2002

Has a player captured the attention of the public as much as Geelong’s Steven Johnson has in recent times?

Described by many as an enigma in his formative years, Johnson’s early career was dotted with acts of brilliance interspersed among periods of inconsistency. Off field indiscretions often overshadowed his acts on the paddock and this was highlighted during the 2007 pre season when he suffered a club imposed sanction of 5 matches after being arrested in Wangaratta for public drunkenness.

Villain to Hero

His 2007 season started off in disgrace but finished with the ultimate prize as he collected the Norm Smith Medal for best on ground in his teams massacre of Port Adelaide in the Grand Final.

Playing predominately as a half forward, Johnson is capable of scoring the miraculous whilst also contributing to the team ethic by creating goals and handing off to team-mates in a better position. He consistently baffles opponents, and occasionally his own team-mates, with his freakish skills and look away handballs to provide better scoring options.

One of his fine attributes is his aerobic capacity. He works his opponent over by making multiple leads up the ground and then doubling back inside the forward 50. His return of only 6 contested marks this season indicates that he likes to get on the bike and win the ball on the lead. Of his 92 marks taken this year 38 have been inside the forward 50 suggesting that he is able to lose his opponent through hard leading and screens/blocks provided by the other Geelong forwards.

He is extremely unpredictable and is equally adept in the air or with the ball at his feet, making it difficult for opposition coaches and players to match up on. Johnson is blessed with flair and skill making him one of the finest players to watch as an exponent of our great game but he also has the grunt to be able to win the ball inside. This is highlighted by the fact that he averages 6.13 contested possessions per game in a season where he is weekly return is an average of 19.3 possessions.

Consistent is a word that could best describe his contribution this year. Whilst not being outstanding he has played his role in one of the most powerful attacks in the competition kicking 31 goals and being credited with 17 goal assists. He has scored goals in 12 of his 15 games with a season high of 5 against the Blues in Round 10 when Geelong won by 56 points. After being held goalless on the weekend he will be keen to get his name back in front of the scorers this week against the Bulldogs.

Likely Opponent

The Bulldogs coaching staff will no doubt be targeting Johnson as one of the key Geelong Forwards we need to keep quiet. At 190cm and 92 kg’s Dale Morris looks to be the ideal match up. Ultra consistent, Morris thrives on these types of challenges and will like nothing more than adding another notch to his belt of big name victims. Dale has the speed and endurance to be able to stick with Johnson. Hargrave and even Tiller could provide likely back-up and it may be worth considering rotating both Morris and Hargrave on the dangerous Johnson to help negate the fatigue factor should Johnson work harder higher up the ground.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks to Twodogs for giving me the opportunity to complete this weeks opposition player focus.

I apologise for the delay in posting this thread but we had a communication issue.

Wouldn't have been waiting on a response from Twodogs by chance? He has been known to respond to PM's with the speed of a glacier!

Good choice hibee, very freakish, although you really could have put most of the Geelong players up on a dartboard & picked whoever you hit such is the talent.

Agree with Morris as the stopper.

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Wouldn't have been waiting on a response from Twodogs by chance? He has been known to respond to PM's with the speed of a glacier!

Good choice hibee, very freakish, although you really could have put most of the Geelong players up on a dartboard & picked whoever you hit such is the talent.

Agree with Morris as the stopper.

Response from TD was quick. I thought TD was going to post it, but obviously I was supposed to. Still quite new at this sort of stuff. All good now.

Mantis
18-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Good choice.

Will Johnson have a few too many party tricks for Morris? I know Dale did a very good job on Motlop recently, who is a similiar player, but Johnson is at the next level.

bornadog
18-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Heard Johnson on the radio the other day and he is expecting Dale to be his opponent. I think this will be a great match up and one of the highlights of the day.

1eyedog
18-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Agreed it will be a great match up and one of many that I will watch with interest. He is a super-dangerous player because he not only kicks goals its the way he gets them that ignites his fellow teammates and gives his mid fielders confidence going into F50.

bornadog
18-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Agreed it will be a great match up and one of many that I will watch with interest. He is a super-dangerous player because he not only kicks goals its the way he gets them that ignites his fellow teammates and gives his mid fielders confidence going into F50.

I heard one of his teams (can't remember who) talking about him and he said he practises those freakish goals at training and slots them in. He definitely is a danger man and lets hope "The Glove" fixes him up.

craigsahibee
18-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Dale is the one that has the concentration to stay with him and not get sucked towards where the ball is. That is where Johnson can kill you. He is great at peeling off the contest and finding dangerous space. If he has the ball anywhere inside 40m he will be a better than even chance to kick the goal.

Sockeye Salmon
18-07-2008, 06:39 PM
One of the keys to us winning is making sure Johnson gets gloved.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Dale is the one that has the concentration to stay with him and not get sucked towards where the ball is. That is where Johnson can kill you. He is great at peeling off the contest and finding dangerous space. If he has the ball anywhere inside 40m he will be a better than even chance to kick the goal.

Agreed; Morris plays the situation between ball & man very well. He doesn't get drawn to contests for no reason - it's probably why he doesn't end up with too many possessions, but it's how he needs to play. Morris should have Johnson covered in the air, and whilst it'll be a challenge, I'm confident he can make a good account for himself when the ball hits the ground too.

Johnson's a good player but IMO he hangs out way too often and borders on being soft. In Geelong he can afford to play like this though, because they have several ball winners. I hope Morris makes it a tough afternoon for him.

mjp
18-07-2008, 10:55 PM
This is the week we find out how good our defensive group is. Morris on Johnson is just one part of it...

LostDoggy
19-07-2008, 12:05 AM
We gotta be careful of Johnson...

I hear he injects himself with sunscreen lotion at half time, gives him super human strength

....or so ive heard. ;)

Mantis
19-07-2008, 12:30 AM
This is the week we find out how good our defensive group is. Morris on Johnson is just one part of it...

Yep your right there. Hargrave & Lake are 2 players in particular who will have to have good games tomorrow if we are to stand a chance. Lake got man-handled by Mooney early in the game last time we played and it set the tone for a disappointing night. Mooney can spark the team and the fans with a few early ones so we need Lake to be switched on from the start.