DOB: 20-01-1981
Debut: Rd 17 1999
Games
2008 16
Career 158
Goals
2008 69
Career 456

Is there another Current AFL footballer quite like The Big Fev? In many ways he’s a throwback to the old days of VFL football. A fullforward who kicks the majority of his teams score, a player who plays when he feels like it and either an idol or a villain to both Carlton and opposition fans.

Despite all that he is a player who deserves due consideration from the opposition coaching staff or he will hurt you. The downside for Carlton is that the planning could have been done three years ago and would still be relevant now-Brendan just doesn’t improve his form or output from year to year.

Having said that Fevelenko (geez he’s got a lot of nicknames!) will work an opponent hard with lots of leads and amazing pace of the mark to leave all but the best fullbacks in his wake. He’s at his best when the ball is there to be marked but his work when the ball hits the ground can be lacking.

Brendan has had his share of off field indiscretions that have led to club suspensions as recently as the last off season and this year has been involved in long drawn out and public negotiations with Carlton over the length and money payed in his next contract. It’s of interest to long term Bulldog supporters that the man Brendan thinks will help sort this out for him is former Bulldog recruiter Mark Kleiman-I don’t know how much help he’s going to be.

Fev has kicked 69 goals in his 16 games this year but has been hot and cold. Who knows, now that contract negotiations have been put on ice until seasons end, which player will turn up on Sunday? It could be the dynamic goalkicker wh marks everything and bombs goals from everywhere or it could be the sook who stands in the goalsquare and blames his teammates for all his ills.

Either way Brian Lake will take him and if Fev’s on his game he will have his hands full.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Tom Williams, if fit, should stand Fev. Lakey is far better left to read the flight of long bombs and come in as the third man up (which he does as well as anyone in the league). He's shown a weakness when led to the ball - I don't think he's ever been a great follower, unlike Dale or even Tom.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 02:17 PM
No way Tom will take Fev. He is not comfortable deep in the goalsquare and at this stage lacks the nous to go with Fev.

Tom is far better served at Half-back where his run can be a bonus.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 02:21 PM
In our last 3 encounters Fevola has kicked 2.5 so has not being a threat in the past..

Lake will have to be at his best though, as Fev is in form and can easily kick a bag of 6-8 on a good day without being worry to the opposition

The Coon Dog
22-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Dale Morris has to be the match up for Fev. Has been succesful in the past.

How does Fev get most of his goals? From marks on the lead, so it's about pace of the mark, not strength. Morris has pace to burn.

westdog54
22-07-2008, 02:44 PM

How does Fev get most of his goals? From marks on the lead, so it's about pace of the mark, not strength. Morris has pace to burn.

Agreed. Fev has been Dale's bitch two years running, why change that now? He's clearly their most damaging forward, Morris usually gets the oppositions most dangerous forward, why should we use Williams or Lake simply because Williams is on the park nowadays?

Sedat
22-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Agreed. Fev has been Dale's bitch two years running, why change that now? He's clearly their most damaging forward, Morris usually gets the oppositions most dangerous forward, why should we use Williams or Lake simply because Williams is on the park nowadays?
Even Adam Morgan beat the Fev comprehensively back in 2004 at Princes Park - he generally hasn't fired a shot against us. Morris will be itching to make immediate amends for being beaten on Saturday against Steve Johnson.

Mantis
22-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Agree with TCD and a few other's that Morris has to take Fevola. He has a pretty good recent record on him.

Lake can pick up Hartlett and try not to make a fool of himself. If Williams plays maybe Lake goes forward?

craigsahibee
22-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I think Lake plays his best footy from the goal square. He tends to get a bit lost further up the ground. The Cats exploited that last week. Lake will play on Fev and Tom can be the 3rd man in. This week will be a good week to let Tom run loose and pick up some cheap possessions to get a feel for the footy again.

Mantis
22-07-2008, 04:17 PM
I think Lake plays his best footy from the goal square. He tends to get a bit lost further up the ground. The Cats exploited that last week. Lake will play on Fev and Tom can be the 3rd man in. This week will be a good week to let Tom run loose and pick up some cheap possessions to get a feel for the footy again.

But Lake tends to struggle on player's who lead from the square. Seems to lack the necessary concentration for this type of player.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 05:37 PM
But Lake tends to struggle on player's who lead from the square. Seems to lack the necessary concentration for this type of player.

Myth

The Pie Man
22-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Even Adam Morgan beat the Fev comprehensively back in 2004 at Princes Park - he generally hasn't fired a shot against us. Morris will be itching to make immediate amends for being beaten on Saturday against Steve Johnson.

I remember this - Morgan was the bizzarro world Bulldgod big man - a born backman that we tried to convert into a FF - normally it's the other way around. He completely shut Fev down that day - hey that whole day was a little strange, Jade Rawlings kicked 4 goals (even one from the pocket I recall) and no goals from either team in the last quarter.

I tend to think Morris will get him - I think Williams is the long term perfect match up, and Everett may have to go with Waite. Hargrave looks destined for Fisher. They might look to through Kreuzer/Cloke forward when they can.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Fevola would break Fanning's record on Williams. Lets face it, Tommy has potential but at this stage his only claim to fame is holding Buddy to 5.

hujsh
22-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I tend to think Morris will get him - I think Williams is the long term perfect match up, and Everett may have to go with Waite. Hargrave looks destined for Fisher. They might look to through Kreuzer/Cloke forward when they can.

I think Williams is perfect for Waite if he goes forward. Everitt should go with Fisher and Hargs can continue his work on small players

Happy Days
22-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I remember this - Morgan was the bizzarro world Bulldgod big man - a born backman that we tried to convert into a FF - normally it's the other way around. He completely shut Fev down that day - hey that whole day was a little strange, Jade Rawlings kicked 4 goals (even one from the pocket I recall) and no goals from either team in the last quarter.

Remember that game too...the last quater was pretty much kick-to-kick between the two teams.

Who's going with Betts?

Mantis
22-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Myth

Prove me wrong then.

Bulldog Revolution
22-07-2008, 06:40 PM

Morris struggled on him preseason at Princes Park - not sure its the best matchup. I am leaning towards thinking Lake, but they can always start with Morris and change if need be.

bornadog
22-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Morris struggled on him preseason at Princes Park - not sure its the best matchup. I am leaning towards thinking Lake, but they can always start with Morris and change if need be.

Agree there. We must stop the supply to Fev.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2008, 07:03 PM

Carlton had 3 extra players that afternoon & they rotated their midfielders accordingly. We couldn't keep up. Put pressure on the ball carrier so pass can't be hit lace out.

LostDoggy
22-07-2008, 07:49 PM
(And its the Nonsene And Bullsh*t Cup..take almost nothing from it)

1eyedog
22-07-2008, 08:36 PM
The big Shag, yes a very enigmatic player and I suspect Lake will go to him. While others have suggested Morris will go to him as Shag gets most of his kicks on the lead the Blues also bomb it long to him as he is so strong one on one. I don't think Morris can cut the mustard on Shag in the strength department so hoping Lake can match him well in that department. Lake is no bunny over 20 metres either and remember Shag rarely goes outside the 50 which will suit Lake.

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Prove me wrong then.

Don't need to prove you wrong. You do that for yourself with your comments about Lake

Lake can pick up Hartlett and try not to make a fool of himself. If Williams plays maybe Lake goes forward?

Here is the current club B&F of whom, you hope doesn't make a fool of himself against a nobody.

Of whom, despite the fact that he wins the B&F at full back you suggest moves to full forward.

Your suggestion that he is poor covering the lead is further evidence of your "wrongness" No full back will ever cover the perfect pass to the leading forward, likewise no full back will cover the pass taken by his opponent when diving forward as happened on Saturday.

David Darcy commented last weekend that in his view Lake is the most important player in the side. In my view he was not far off the mark.

No, he did not have a good game on Saturday but he had plenty of mates. When the ball comes in at the speed and regularity that it did against Geelong all backman are placed under immense pressure including Morris who had a bigger shocker that Lake.

The rest of us put this aside as a once only - you clearly have a blinkered and thoroughly incorrect view of the skills that Lake brings to the side

Mantis
23-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Here is the current club B&F of whom, you hope doesn't make a fool of himself against a nobody.

In a team that hit the self destruct button. Not taking anything anyway from Brian as he had a very good year, but it was a pretty soft B&F to win due to the fact that quite a few of our best players were injured or unfit

The top 5 for this year's B&F would probably include Cooney, Murphy, Aker & Cross. All were injured or under-done last year.

Your suggestion that he is poor covering the lead is further evidence of your "wrongness" No full back will ever cover the perfect pass to the leading forward, likewise no full back will cover the pass taken by his opponent when diving forward as happened on Saturday.

David Darcy commented last weekend that in his view Lake is the most important player in the side. In my view he was not far off the mark.

No, he did not have a good game on Saturday but he had plenty of mates. When the ball comes in at the speed and regularity that it did against Geelong all backman are placed under immense pressure including Morris who had a bigger shocker that Lake.

The rest of us put this aside as a once only - you clearly have a blinkered and thoroughly incorrect view of the skills that Lake brings to the side

I wasn't saying Lake wasn't an important player just that he struggles on players who lead strongly up the field. Lake is very good in a man on man contest or when or in a pack situation where has the great ability to read the flight of the ball and take a defensive mark. He is also very good when he can fly for the ball as a 3rd man up. He lead the league in marks from the opposition because of these skills.

All I said was that he struggles against players who can lead as half the time Brian seems to be off in 'fairy land' when his opponent is starting a lead.

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 11:52 AM
In a year when we played poorly, the full back is the one player under constant pressure. It's easy being a good full-back in a good side - look at Rutten.

For Lake to win the B&F in these circumstances is a very creditable performance.

You're comments are disingenuous in the extreme. As was the comment regarding him playing on Hartlett

Mantis
23-07-2008, 12:39 PM
In a year when we played poorly, the full back is the one player under constant pressure. It's easy being a good full-back in a good side - look at Rutten.

For Lake to win the B&F in these circumstances is a very creditable performance.

You're comments are disingenuous in the extreme. As was the comment regarding him playing on Hartlett

Can you please give examples of when Lake or Harris has beaten player's who predominately rely on there ability to take marks on the lead?

From my observations I would have thought that Morris usually picks up this type of player (Lloyd, Fevola) whereas Lake generally picks up the slightly bigger/ lumbering forward.

I am not saying that Lake isn't a good player or an important player, just that he has his limitations.

And furthermore the Hartlett comment was an off the cuff remark. If Lake plays on Hartlett I expect him to beat him comfortably in marking duels and work off him such to give Morris a hand in containing Fevola. I think this is the type of role in which Lake prospers and therefore is more influential in helping the teams fortunes.

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Every full forward looks to lead as a part of their armoury including the lumbering types as you call them.

Thompson, Gehrig, Rocca all seek to take advantage on the lead. If Lake was unable to cope with this as you suggest, he would not be the full back and never would have won a B&F.

You categorise him as one-dimensional. I think that's wrong. I believe him to be a fine player and an excellent full back.

Obviously we will agree to disagree.

ledge
23-07-2008, 01:42 PM
All you have to do with Fisher is drag him more than 15 metres from goals and he wont make the distance.
Has to be the worst kick in the league.
Oops i better be careful, rumour is he is trade bait, we might take him!

LostDoggy
23-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Yeah, there's no point trying another player on him when we already have a proven performer- I don't think he's kicked multiple goals on Dale ever.

The Pie Man
24-07-2008, 05:29 AM
All you have to do with Fisher is drag him more than 15 metres from goals and he wont make the distance.
Has to be the worst kick in the league.
Oops i better be careful, rumour is he is trade bait, we might take him!

How bad was that shot in the first quarter last week against Sydney? Hideous

ledge
24-07-2008, 12:23 PM
How bad was that shot in the first quarter last week against Sydney? Hideous

My mate is a Carlton supporter he told me last year he is a shocking kick, since then I have kept an eye on him, last weeks kick is not rare, he does it at least once a game!
A jam tin is too big for him to get over and he couldnt hit a silo from 15 metres.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree that Morris is the man to take Fev this week. If Williams comes in I wouldn't actually mind seeing Lake have a proper run up forward just to see if he can play the swingman role.

Hopefully the game isn't an open shoot out, we need to congest the midfield and not give Carlton any space, if they have space, Fev could have a field day.

ledge
24-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Wasnt Lake known as a forward before he came to us? mmm interesting, maybe the forward we have been looking for after all these years has been at the wrong end of the ground for 5 years.
We know he can mark contested, he certainly doesnt miss many goals when he has a shot, he has a good build and he seems to be pretty quick on the dash.
Lake at CHF, I would love to see how he would go, just once and who knows.

The Pie Man
24-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Wasnt Lake known as a forward before he came to us? mmm interesting, maybe the forward we have been looking for after all these years has been at the wrong end of the ground for 5 years.
We know he can mark contested, he certainly doesnt miss many goals when he has a shot, he has a good build and he seems to be pretty quick on the dash.

Likewise - though I reckon his set shots are very suspect. On the run from outside 50 he's on the money (nice one last week - he should have kicked 2)

dog town
25-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Morris has the closing speed needed to go with Fev on the lead. He has shown this before so I see no need to change it. Lake is better off playing on spuds.

bornadog
25-07-2008, 10:30 AM

No Thanks, he is the best FB we have had for many years. Last week against Geelong, he was thrown in at FF and didn't have a clue.

LostDoggy
25-07-2008, 02:45 PM
No Thanks, he is the best FB we have had for many years. Last week against Geelong, he was thrown in at FF and didn't have a clue.

He was there for all of 5 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter. He got the ball but miskicked it over his shoulder, but he DID get to the fall of the ball and got his hands on it. I think he could make something of a stint up forward. Having said that, he's still a gun FB.

Dale normally takes Fev because we never had anyone else in the structure to do it, and so he and Hargrave used to play undersized against bigger match-ups. Tommygun exists PRECISELY to do these jobs so that Dale and Ryan can cut up THEIR respective match-ups and not just have to do negating jobs all year. Dale took Riewoldt earlier this year, but if Tom was fit he would be the direct match-up. This is what Tom brings to the team. If he was fit, played CHB, and we didn't play him on their most mobile tall I don't know what he exists for.

Watch 4.40pm Sunday arvo, Tom Williams will line up on Fev.

Mantis
25-07-2008, 03:03 PM
He was there for all of 5 minutes at the start of the 4th quarter. He got the ball but miskicked it over his shoulder, but he DID get to the fall of the ball and got his hands on it. I think he could make something of a stint up forward. Having said that, he's still a gun FB.

Dale normally takes Fev because we never had anyone else in the structure to do it, and so he and Hargrave used to play undersized against bigger match-ups. Tommygun exists PRECISELY to do these jobs so that Dale and Ryan can cut up THEIR respective match-ups and not just have to do negating jobs all year. Dale took Riewoldt earlier this year, but if Tom was fit he would be the direct match-up. This is what Tom brings to the team. If he was fit, played CHB, and we didn't play him on their most mobile tall I don't know what he exists for.

Watch 4.40pm Sunday arvo, Tom Williams will line up on Fev.

A few points in this don't make sense to me.

1. You say Lake is a gun FB, Fevola is a gun FF, why wouldn't Lake play on Fev?

2. Morris is a negater, that's his job. He plays on the most like player to himself (small or tall) and he tries to negate there impact on the game. We don't need to try and free him up like Hargrave as Dale's offensive skills are pretty poor compared to Ryan's.

3. Williams hasn't played for 4 or 5 weeks. Why would you play him on Carlton's most dangerous forward? You say that if Tom was fit he would have played on Riewoldt some weeks back who is St.Kilda most dangerous forward, but he wasn't and he may have been exposed. Is Tom less un-fit this time such that he can play on Fevola?

LostDoggy
25-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Hm.

1. Good point (But Lakey doesn't punch from behind when FF leads out fast like we've seen Dale do)
2. Thought of that, but quelled my self-doubts just to make a point..
3. Thought Tom didn't play against the Saints (thus Dale playing Nick), but just had a quick check, and Tom DID play.. (did he stand Nick at any time?)..

In any case, I'm clearly wrong and happy to admit it.

(Just that it's such an obvious match-up for Tom to play on Brown, Fev, Franklin, Riewoldt and the like, and Rocket and others have said the same thing plenty of times..)