PDA

View Full Version : Tom Williams Re-Injured?

LostDoggy
26-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Just read on another forum that it was mentioned on radio today that Williams had re-injured his shoulder at training.

Would anyone know if this is true?

Apparently Callan also re-injured himself too.

GVGjr
26-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Given how secretive the club is about injuries we probably won't know for sure until an hour before the game. Shame about he and Callan if that is true. Callan was taking an eternity to come back from a 3 week injury which makes you wonder if the original report on the injury was in anyway accurate.

KEN
26-07-2008, 10:32 PM
It's true the Oak (Schawaz) SEN was a trainning on thursday Callan pulled up very sore calf injury in practice match may miss a 1-2week. Williams also has hurt the same sholder in a tranning may miss 1 week. The OAK said on SEN today.

bornadog
27-07-2008, 12:36 AM
It's true the Oak (Schawaz) SEN was a trainning on thursday Callan pulled up very sore calf injury in practice match may miss a 1-2week. Williams also has hurt the same sholder in a tranning may miss 1 week. The Oak said on SEN today.

aaahh.......... you mean the OX:D

FrediKanoute
27-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Not surprised by the reports of Willo reinjuring his shoulder. The tackle in whcih he did it originally was nasty and it didn't look good then. Glad he failed the test rather than losing him in a crucial stage of the game. Should bring in Tiller/Everitt.

Dogs 24/7
27-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Not surprised by the reports of Willo reinjuring his shoulder. The tackle in whcih he did it originally was nasty and it didn't look good then. Glad he failed the test rather than losing him in a crucial stage of the game. Should bring in Tiller/Everitt.

He has had a shocking run and I really do believe that some players are cursed. When you hear by so many of the players and coaching staff how dedicated he is its a shame that he can't get to play more games. I remember going to training once and seeing him with that moon boot on. He spent the better part of the training session on that arm rowing machine and I thought that he must get sick of doing that day after day. At the end of the session he hobbled back into the rooms with a smile on his face which really enforeced just how dedicated he is to making himslef into a good footballer. Lets hope this is just a one week set back.

Stevo
27-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Has anyone noticed that our supporters are starting to get on his case about his run of injuries?
The sarcastic comments have started to wear very thin with me but I get the impression that the numbers of distruntled supporters with him will increase if he does get injured again this year. I don't understand why people are getting on his case because he trains hard and he is fully focused on making it and yet because he gets injured he is now been seen by some as a liability.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Has anyone noticed that our supporters are starting to get on his case about his run of injuries?
The sarcastic comments have started to wear very thin with me but I get the impression that the numbers of distruntled supporters with him will increase if he does get injured again this year. I don't understand why people are getting on his case because he trains hard and he is fully focused on making it and yet because he gets injured he is now been seen by some as a liability.

Yep just read some stuff on BF. Not impressed with some of those comments. Does Tom want to be injured? NO. In fairness, he has missed a large chunk of his career with the same foot injury that wouldn't heal. He got smashed in the shoulder, which I would imagine would be one of the worst places to sustain an injury.

People are talking as if he works directly for them and he keeps having sick days. Tom doesn't owe any of us anything. He is a frigging AFL footballer playing a game that is extremely taxing on the body so lets cut him some slack and show some support rather than try and run him out of town.

The Pie Man
27-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Yep just read some stuff on BF. Not impressed with some of those comments. Does Tom want to be injured? NO. In fairness, he has missed a large chunk of his career with the same foot injury that wouldn't heal. He got smashed in the shoulder, which I would imagine would be one of the worst places to sustain an injury.

People are talking as if he works directly for them and he keeps having sick days. Tom doesn't owe any of us anything. He is a frigging AFL footballer playing a game that is extremely taxing on the body so lets cut him some slack and show some support rather than try and run him out of town.

I used to read the Liverpool forums a bit being a fan, and the vast majority turned on Harry Kewell in the same way (vitriolic at times) so I stopped reading. Tom will be alright.

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Should we shelf him for the rest of the season and bring him back next year? If the reports are correct it sounds like a pretty persitant injury and it may be best to operate and rest him until 2009. Thoughts?

Mofra
27-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Should we shelf him for the rest of the season and bring him back next year? If the reports are correct it sounds like a pretty persitant injury and it may be best to operate and rest him until 2009. Thoughts?

Porplyzia (forgive the spelling) has a similar weakness in the shoulder, and he was in the Crow's best last night. It can probably be managed until after September, given he'll have 7 motnhs to heal after an Op.

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, my Supercoach team was very happy with his performance last night. :)

Sockeye Salmon
27-07-2008, 03:13 PM

If he can get through the year he should play. We can't win it without him.

Rach
27-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Williams isn't listed on the AFL game day thing. Must be a late withdrawal :(

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes.

Eade said on the foxtel preview that Williams twinged his shoulder at training, and although he actually pulled up OK yesterday, they decided to err on the side of caution and give him one more week to be fully fit for the Sydney game.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Yes.

Eade said on the foxtel preview that Williams twinged his shoulder at training, and although he actually pulled up OK yesterday, they decided to err on the side of caution and give him one more week to be fully fit for the Sydney game.

I hope it is as Rocket says. Only a twinge and should be ok for next week.

The Pie Man
28-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Yes.

Just had a message from my brother saying Tom is out for the year, not sure where he heard it or if at resembling truth. I wouldn't be surprised though.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Just had a message from my brother saying Tom is out for the year, not sure where he heard it or if at resembling truth. I wouldn't be surprised though.

I wouldn't be surprised either.

The thing that irritates me more than anything is the club. Why not tell us exactly what's wrong? There's been quite a few times this year the club has said the injury isn't as bad as what it was. Callan, Williams & West all examples of this. All it does is frustrate the supporters; I don't see what's gained by underestimating the extent of the injury.

I hope Williams is OK though, if he really is gone for the year, so too are we.

1eyedog
28-07-2008, 05:26 PM

Not sure about this. I think there is way too much pressure on a guy who has played less than 20 games. Sure he will be good if he can stay injury free but while a good CHB has been integral to premiership sides in the past I believe we can win it without Williams. Williams only looked good on Buddy because the midfield applied so much pressure on Hawthorn going forward. He really hasn't done anything of note yet and it just means Everitt or Wight will somehow have to take up the slack. The premiership can be won by our midfield and a champ or two in the forward line

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 01:25 PM

He can be as focused as he wants. At the end of the day he is injury prone. We are paying a bloke to sit on the sidelines and recover constantly. If he can't get over his injuries, no matter how good he could potentially be, (and this goes for anyone) you would be better off trading him for a player who can consistently get on the park.

Mofra
29-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Not sure about this. I think there is way too much pressure on a guy who has played less than 20 games. Sure he will be good if he can stay injury free but while a good CHB has been integral to premiership sides in the past I believe we can win it without Williams.
Pressure & hype. The kid can seriously move, but given his injury history isn't the sort of player I'd be willing to risk playing injured. We won plenty of games earlier in the year without Williams.
Honest goers like Wight or Tiller would be a better choice at the moment IMO

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2008, 02:12 PM
He can be as focused as he wants. At the end of the day he is injury prone. We are paying a bloke to sit on the sidelines and recover constantly. If he can't get over his injuries, no matter how good he could potentially be, (and this goes for anyone) you would be better off trading him for a player who can consistently get on the park.

That's true for someone who continually strains hamstrings but it's a load of bollocks for someone who has had a broken foot and a hurt shoulder

Desipura
29-07-2008, 02:31 PM

"Here here" against Carlton the ball was coming in so fast that no one could have stopped Fev on a lead (not many can match his pace)
Rocket even tried to get Welsh to play in front of Fev during the 3rd qtr. Williams height and strength would be invaluable in assisting Lake when he is under the pump. I agree we cannot win it without Williams.
I just hope/prey that he can string the next 5 games together to give him a reasonable fitness base going into the finals.

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2008, 03:15 PM
"Here here" against Carlton the ball was coming in so fast that no one could have stopped Fev on a lead (not many can match his pace)
Rocket even tried to get Welsh to play in front of Fev during the 3rd qtr. Williams height and strength would be invaluable in assisting Lake when he is under the pump. I agree we cannot win it without Williams.
I just hope/prey that he can string the next 5 games together to give him a reasonable fitness base going into the finals.

perhaps moving lake off fev might of helped?

after all he is half the pace of fev on a lead.

Topdog
29-07-2008, 06:43 PM

You would get absolutely nothing for him though. Much better to persist with him and hope he can get out.

GVGjr
29-07-2008, 08:35 PM

I think you might be missing the point. It's actually not his fault that he is getting injured and whilst it is frustrating for everyone, it's not like he is being half arsed with his preparation.

Some people carry on like it's personal and I think that is what Stevo was referring to.

Rocket Science
29-07-2008, 10:23 PM
You would get absolutely nothing for him though. Much better to persist with him and hope he can get out.

Not sure you'd get "nothing" for Williams in a trade, there'd be suitors alright, but while he's on and off the park you certainly wouldn't get an asset reflective of his true value.

When healthy, he's a walk up start in our best 22, makes us an infinitely better team, and we don't have an adequate replacement in the wings. Yes it's been a frustrating ride, least of all for Tom himself you'd think, but why we'd contemplate cutting him loose unless you miraculously snagged someone who could legitimately do his job, and now, is beyond me.

We've invested too much effort in Williams to give up now and he's simply too rare and valuable an asset.

Desipura
30-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Rocket was flogging his book on SEN this morning and mentioned that Williams will play for Will this week. He has a similar injury to Porplyzia & Kennelly
Callan/West are 1-2 weeks away and Higgins needs another 2 games at Willi.

KEN
30-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Tom Williams/ Tim Callan will play for Williamstown this week and Scott West will play for Williamstown the next week.

The Pie Man
30-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Tom Williams/ Tim Callan will play for Williamstown this week and Scott West will play for Williamstown the next week.

Just spoke to my dad about the 'out for the year' rumour - this came from Dermot on SEN apparently (I didn't hear it)

Good to hear he'll play this week