PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - Bulldogs vs Blues

GVGjr
27-07-2008, 08:53 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game against the much improved Carlton side.

I'm not that confident for this game.

The Dogs by 4 points, Akermanis for the first goal and Ray for BOG honors

Dogs 24/7
27-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Welsh for the first goal and I think Cooney will be the best on the ground. The Dogs by 34 points

The Coon Dog
27-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Murph for the first goal. Dogs by 17 points.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Murphy 1st goal, Cooney best on ground.

Doggies by 5 goals

Max469
27-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Never confident against the Blues, they always seem to find something against us.

Saying that:

Dogs by 15 points

First goal - Gia

BOG - Murphy

Rocket Science
27-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, have 'officially' tipped the Dogs today but worth noting I've also gone a glorious zip-for-five with the tipping so far this round.

In light of this; Blues by 24 pts, Waite best on ground, and wee Willy Minson to snag our first major.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Gia to get the first goal
Akermanis BOG
Dogs by 17 points.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Mitch Hahn first goal

Dogs by 26 points

Hobdog's girlfriend to get the poos with him by half time due to the footy still being on so late on a Sunday!!

The Underdog
27-07-2008, 11:33 AM
This is the discussion thread for this evenings game against the much improved Carlton side.

I'm not that confident for this game.

The Dogs by 4 points, Akermanis for the first goal and Ray for BOG honors

I'm the same and wierdly enough had a big vibe on today being a big one for Farren, either he or Johnno for BOG. Can see Faz as a good match up for Gibbs.
dogs by 10 points, Murphy for first goal.

oh yeah and a win is imperative today. We guarantee ourselves a top 3 spot (essentially) meaning we don't have to leave the MCG or even TD in September and can rest some player's coming into the finals, or even ease some in.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Take her out to lunch!

It's all good. She's going out with a friend this afternoon!! Anyway I'm doing house work today to get some points up.

The Pie Man
27-07-2008, 12:19 PM
37 point win, Giansiracusa first goal. Cooney BOG

Go_Dogs
27-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Dogs by 50, Hahn first goal, Griffen BOG.

wimberga
27-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Minnow for the first
Gilbee for BOG
Dogs by 40

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Murphy first goal
Cooney BOG
Dogs by 31pts

ledge
27-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Lake first goal running off Fev because he wont chase and has poos re contract.
Cooney BOG because Blues midfield think its all about Judd and dont ever have to tag anyone for the next 6 years.
Dogs by 30

Mantis
27-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Dogs by 26pts.

A game we really should win. I am hoping that our delivery into the forwardline is much better than it has been in previous weeks.

First goal to Gia.

BOG for Griffen.

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Dogs by 21 points
Murphy first goal
Boyd BOG

Wish I could get to this one, suffered a severe eye injury playing football last week which has kept me down and out all week. :(

I'll be back for the North game :p

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 03:22 PM
With no real confidence I'll go with Morris BOG, Eagleton with the first goal and the Dogs by 1 point.

1eyedog
27-07-2008, 03:24 PM
We SHOULD win this, Dogs by 17 points, Aker first goal Cooney BOG

DOG GOD
27-07-2008, 03:57 PM
aker first goal

blues by 11 pts....fev to star. :mad:

Scraggers
27-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Aker first goal

Cooney BOG

Bulldogs by 11 points

Fev to try out for his new club next year ... Go Dogs !!

Rach
27-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Gonna go with Griffen for the first goal.
Boyd BOG.
Doggies by 15.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Hill & Harbrow both are doing well to half time, both adding something with Harbrow's pressure skills & 2 goals, whilst Hill's marking has been a highlight & one goal.

Griffen, Gia, Hargrave & Gilbee are running and creating well.

Still think we can play a lot better, towards the end of both quarters we started playing better, but there's a way to go yet.

GetDimmaBack
27-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Are they for real in the last quarter?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Our second half is reminiscent of the tripe we served up late last year.
Anaemic midfield, no clearances, and no drive.
How the heck can we give up a 37 point lead, without even a whimper.
This is way more disappointing than last weeks game, and we need to dig deep and rediscover our mojo and real quick.

Dry Rot
27-07-2008, 08:03 PM
8 goals in a row to the Blues! Very poor effort.

And has Addison done his knee?

LostDog
27-07-2008, 08:08 PM
absolutely disgusted

Dry Rot
27-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Agreed - we couldn't score a goal since the 23rd minute mark of the third quarter.

We are crap at the moment - not even top 8 standard.

LostDog
27-07-2008, 08:13 PM
deja vu

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Agreed - we couldn't score a goal since the 23rd minute mark of the third quarter.

We are crap at the moment - not even top 8 standard.

I am so disgusted right now, this is supose to be a top 3 side? Not only do we give up a 37 point lead we didn't even score a goal in the final quarter. Serve up that shit in the finals and it is going to be a straight sets and out, that is if we finish in the top 4.

Pathetic!!!! There is nothing good to take out of this game at all. This was as weak as 2007 if not worse we were embaressed tonight by a second rate team.

Throughandthrough
27-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Any chance Everitt could actually tackle someone?

He must have missed half a dozen tackles in the second half.

Back to the weights room for you fella, and don't come back until you learn how to stop someone.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2008, 08:20 PM
I just can't understand how we could give up a 37 point lead so easily?
We looked out on our feet about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter, and there seemed to be free Blues player all over the ground.
I hate to single out players when many had their colours lowered in the second half, but Everitt's efforts in defense were atrocious. For someone who showed so much poise and run last year, he just looked slow, and indecisive, with very little endeavour towards hitting the ball hard.
Eade's decision not to tag Judd was a very big miscalculation. He was constantly getting handball received out of the middle, and whenever he is receiving the ball with momentum and space he's going to hurt you.
For most of this season we were winning more than our fair share of hard ball, and clearances, but the last two weeks, and probably longer, we've been getting hammered inside.
I am absolutely gutted after this loss, moreso than the game against the Cats.
All of a sudden I'm not looking forward to travelling to Canberra next weekend.

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Any chance Everitt could actually tackle someone?

He must have missed half a dozen tackles in the second half.

Back to the weights room for you fella, and don't come back until you learn how to stop someone.

That is what angers me the most our tackling was deplorable!

I watched hEveritt near the end of that game a ball went out of the back of the pack and he was just jogging towards it. It ended up in another Carlton goal. The game is on the line go and get the dam thing!!!! I could see today why he was dropped although he is not alone after this one.

LostDog
27-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Sponsor thought

THE LOST DOGS HOME

DOG GOD
27-07-2008, 08:25 PM
aker first goal

blues by 11 pts....fev to star. :mad:

wasnt far off...got the fev bit and the blues win right.

very very disappointing was that effort....we are in a bit of strife i'd say.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I am so disgusted right now, this is supose to be a top 3 side? Not only do we give up a 37 point lead we didn't even score a goal in the final quarter. Serve up that shit in the finals and it is going to be a straight sets and out, that is if we finish in the top 4.

Pathetic!!!! There is nothing good to take out of this game at all. This was as weak as 2007 if not worse we were embaressed tonight by a second rate team.

I agree. I refuse to give votes this week. Noone deserves any after that effort.

JimmySewell
27-07-2008, 08:34 PM
sorry, but that effort today was nothing short of piss weak !

an absolute rabble !

Soft as SH*T !

Rach
27-07-2008, 08:38 PM
I can't even begin to say how disappointing that last quarter was. I feel more annoyed this week then I was with last weeks efforts (or lack of) in the 4th quarter. :(

cinder
27-07-2008, 08:46 PM
One has to wonder if the wheels are falling off here.
I had hoped this year was going to be different.
I thought they didn't accept mediocrity anymore.

easybeat
27-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I agree. The softest effort I've seen us play I reckon, as far as i can remember anyway. It doesn't seem they are playing for each other, or as a team.

Either they weren't trying, or we're in big trouble for the rest of the season...again.

Hope I'm wrong, and it's just a speed bump.

cinder
27-07-2008, 08:52 PM
It was already going to be hard enough to keep up with Geelong and Hawthorn.
Now it seems we're going to struggle to even hold on.

KEN
27-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree. They were 37ponts up and lost the game what a waste of time for me and the kids who when't to the game today. A few changes need to made piss weak game boys that was the wost game i have see for long time no run and no second efforts..:mad:

Rocket Science
27-07-2008, 08:59 PM
We're pissing away the respect we worked so hard to earn through the first dozen rounds, and it's deflating just how quickly we've fallen back into playing the same rattled footy and poor habits that characterised our downfall last season.

Am curious if you glass half full types want to persist in downplaying last week's result and what it suggests about where we're at right now.

Would argue the signs have been there for a month but have grown progressively worse culminating in what we witnessed this arvo.

Stop me if you've hear this before...

Disposal into forward 50 is often slow, aimless and lacks forethought and purpose.

We still lob high, no-look lollypops in the general direction of the goals and expect an undersized, outnumbered forward to somehow win the ball or create a scoring opportunity. This wasn't a product of Carlton's pressure today either and too often occured when the ball carrier was under little-to-no duress. As a consequence, in rather rapid fashion we've gone from being the most potent scoring outfit in the comp to relying on guile and arse to keep the scoreboard ticking over. That'll go over well come September.

The obvious turnovers this creates are compounded by the unbelievable latitude our forwards and more particularly our mids gave the Blues on the rebound. How many freakin times did we turn the ball over at half-forward and see it go coast-to-coast for a Carlton scoring opportunity without a Bulldog in the general vicinity let alone getting a hand on it.

And to complete the trilogy of woe, with a few of the usual suspects excepted, we've simply lost our teamwide appetite for contested footy. Six, eight, twelve weeks ago, everyone, including the blokes you didn't expect to get their nose dirty, was instinctively sacrificing to win the ball to advantage and putting their head over the ball when required. I'm afraid to say I saw more than one Bulldog put in half-steps before a contest tonight. It's not quite pattern forming yet, but happened enough to make you wonder about this team's attitude right now.

If we take this inconsistent, half-hearted shite into September we'll be cannon fodder.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm devasted. Had the most one eyed idiot of a Carlton supporter sitting near us all game, which made the whole experience 100 times worse.

Has anyone heard how Addison is?

G-Mo77
27-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Has anyone heard how Addison is?

No, on crutches after the game. Replay showed it could be a bd one. I guess we will find out soon enough. :(

GVGjr
27-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Is it fair to say that the apparent decision not to put a strong tag on Judd backfired in a big way?

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:29 PM
The post match report on Sportal says medial ligament for Addison in the injured list.

May be a guess by the journo though.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Is it fair to say that the apparent decision not to put a strong tag on Judd backfired in a big way?

Big time - I took a friend tonight to the footy that had never been to the footy and he picked up on that straight away. Judd just did what he wanted, whenever he wanted.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Lake on Fevola? Morris has always done well on Fev
No tag on Judd...

Does anything think that with a top 3 spot virtually sewed up that the Dogs training/coaching staff have changed the teams training program to allow the team to physically peak in September...rather than running themselves into the ground all year round...not saying that they are throwing games...but the side has been constantly outrunned in the last couple of weeks....and have faded and looked very flat in the 2nd halves against both Carlton and Geelong...not being able to run games out, little zip in their legs, missing tackles etc....???

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Maybe we need an end season reveiw?:D

Hopefully a form slump and things will improve.

l was worried about the last qtr before the game after our efforts against Melbourne and Cats.

And l have bought tickets to Canberra.....

GVGjr
27-07-2008, 09:37 PM
No tag on Judd...

Does anything think that with a top 3 spot virtually sewed up that the Dogs training/coaching staff have changed the teams training program to allow the team to physically peak in September...rather than running themselves into the ground all year round...not saying that they are throwing games...but the side has been constantly outrunned in the last couple of weeks....and have faded and looked very flat in the 2nd halves against both Carlton and Geelong...not being able to run games out, little zip in their legs, missing tackles etc....???

DH, Welcome to WOOF and it's an interesting point you have made. I'd be reasonably confident to say that we wouldn't be flogging them on the track so that they can freshen up just before the finals but I'd doubt there has been a huge change to the training format.

The worrying sign is that this has brought back some memories from last years fade outs.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Its not looking good when you have a senior player telling another player hes an "f***** lazy c***".

Im still trying to work out what happened out there tonight? Geez i think we stayed in the rooms at half time.

What a pathetic performance.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Had the most one eyed idiot of a Carlton supporter sitting near us all game, which made the whole experience 100 times worse.

Well how's this - I sat in a different area today, not in my normal seats and had the displeasure to be sitting a row behind a drunken Mark Alvey he (who was supporting Carlton) and his entourage were telling the Bulldog supporters to go home. What a tool!

Rocket Science
27-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Well how's this - I sat in a different area today, not in my normal seats and had the displeasure to be sitting a row behind a drunken Mark Alvey he (who was supporting Carlton) and his entourage were telling the Bulldog supporters to go home. What a tool!

That's a shame. Predictable sour grapes from a bloke who wasn't good enough, even when we were the epitomy of mediocrity.

whythelongface
27-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Its not looking good when you have a senior player telling another player hes an "f***** lazy c***".

Im still trying to work out what happened out there tonight? Geez i think we stayed in the rooms at half time.

What a pathetic performance.

Who made that remark?

wimberga
27-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Ok guys What is the deal with Cooney and Akermanis? they arent playing there normal footy. i dont know if its injuries or what, so shed some light if you can, but they just haven been themselves the last 3-4 weeks.

Also, ALOT of turnovers today, did anyone believe some of the players were confused by carlton wearing there navy jumper? Makes you wonder why, being the away team, they werent made to wear there White one. Im sure when we play them in an away game we will don our White guernsey.

LostDoggy
27-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Who made that remark?

Brad Johnson, said it right in front of my friend.

If you watch Johnno hes always having a go at our other forwards, especially Will and Welsh, today Hahn copped it a bit.

They all need to work as a team ,stop argueing out on the ground and jsut get on with it, work as a bloody team and come away with the points.

Mofra
27-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Ok guys What is the deal with Cooney and Akermanis? they arent playing there normal footy. i dont know if its injuries or what, so shed some light if you can, but they just haven been themselves the last 3-4 weeks.

Aker looks hurt. Real hurt. He doesn't seem to be able to shuffle sideways, which means he woudl struggle to get around an opponent & kick on goal if played deep forward. He's lost his best weapon, and needs to be rested.

Go_Dogs
27-07-2008, 10:17 PM
As in the past against Carlton the game was a bit of a shoot out, and once again they came out on top. They seem to always do that when we're meant to be traveling alright. We should have tried to congest the game Sydney style and make it more of a grind.

Perhaps Eade wanted to roll the dice this week and see where we are really at. Not tagging Judd was pretty interesting, as was not giving Morris first run at Fevola who Morris has done pretty well on in the past.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2008, 10:18 PM
DH, Welcome to WOOF and it's an interesting point you have made. I'd be reasonably confident to say that we wouldn't be flogging them on the track so that they can freshen up just before the finals but I'd doubt there has been a huge change to the training format.

The worrying sign is that this has brought back some memories from last years fade outs.
Thanks GVG

Just seems a little odd that the team has been looking really sluggish in the 2nd halves...Errors increase once fatigue sets in...and we had plenty of errors today. Not to mention playing from behind for 2 quarters. Hopefully the team didn't physically peak too early, and hopefully we will begin to bounce back in the next few weeks. I cant really single out players who looked more sluggish then others...the whole team did.

Two weeks dont really make a trend though ;-)

The dogs need a decent victory against Sydney to get their confidence back up.

Topdog
27-07-2008, 11:29 PM
No tag on Judd...

I certainly hope so.
Aker hasn't been playing in midfield a lot, Cooney rarely in the forward line. I'm still perplexed at the severity of those fadeouts though and we have lost the last quarter in the past few weeks by 100 points.

1eyedog
27-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Aker looks hurt. Real hurt. He doesn't seem to be able to shuffle sideways, which means he woudl struggle to get around an opponent & kick on goal if played deep forward. He's lost his best weapon, and needs to be rested.

I agree and so we have lost one of our best weapons. Our forward line is struggling to work as a system, we were heralded as the most effective forward line in the competition six weeks ago now the ball comes into F50 and we look like a rabble. There appears to be only two sure moments forward lately the first is to Bob Murphy (who I think has lost a bit of touch personally) and the other is a long bomb to Will. The forward line with the most options six weeks ago has now turned into the most predictable in the competition.

Akermanis is running at 60% he is a liability out there. He is clearly injured and needs a week off. Young Everitt needs to go back to Willi and put his head over the ball. He also made some bad fumbles and cannot stick tackles. Why I don't blame a young player for not being able to make tackles the way he fumbled tonight clearly showed he is suspect under pressure and he is not ready. He is a liability in the back half and must make way for Wight until Williams is ready. I thought Welsh was a good player when moved down back and I gave him votes in the Marmo for it but it is a worrying sign that your forwards are sent back and then (with the rest of the back line tonight) are amongst your best players. I though Welsh should have gone to Everitt's match up and Everitt should have gone forward. Eade needed to try something but he seems to be out of ideas at present when the opposition gets and holds onto momentum. I think the coaching staff are as much to blame as the players for tonight's performance but I'm not going to bag any of them, I'm sure they don't want to lose and are doing their best as individuals, I think they need to start doing their best as a team again.

Our midfield is also obviously not as effective as it has been over the first 12 weeks. Carlton moved the ball so much better than us tonight I was almost jealous of it and this from a team in a re-building stage, at times it was embarrassing. Cooney and Griffen are well down on form and I do not like Gia in the middle, he does not apply enough pressure.

I am shattered after this loss and quite deflated when I look at the fixture for the next month, even though I think we play our best football away from the Dome (last week an exception). I am still confident we can turn our form around but we better do it sooner rather than later or the 5 teams on about 34 points below us may be biting on our heels by round 20.

1eyedog
27-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Why does Hayden Kennedy (7) hate us so much?

katemeehan
28-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Absolutely gutted.
Can Fevola pipe down for at least a minute?
At one stage he had a go and Lake then moved onto the water bottle guy, had a go at him and then he said something back and the goal umpire called out the bottle guy.
Anyone see it?
Ugh he just irritates me.
Hopeless effort, very angry.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2008, 12:31 AM
On another note, for those calling for Harbrow to be dropped for this week - this is exactly why he had to be kept in the side. He played very well today, he worked hard, chased hard & kicked goals - he did everything you could possibly ask for from a small forward.

Hill was handy tonight too with his ability to contest in the air. His skills were better than they have been in recent times too, so that was pleasing.

Outside of that - we were pathetic.

Pointless going on about the game as you all have it covered already.

Very, very angry though.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2008, 12:37 AM
As angry as i have felt at the footy for a very, very long time.

Even under cheap as chips, i dont recall being that angry. It was embarassing and the players and coaches deserve to feel it (with all respect of course).

1eyedog
28-07-2008, 01:07 AM
As angry as i have felt at the footy for a very, very long time.

Even under cheap as chips, i dont recall being that angry. It was embarassing and the players and coaches deserve to feel it (with all respect of course).

It hurts so much more because there are great expectations on this team now that we have had the start we have. We need to prove we have evolved as a Football Club from last year and it needs to start from the recovery session tomorrow.

Mantis
28-07-2008, 08:55 AM
As in the past against Carlton the game was a bit of a shoot out, and once again they came out on top. They seem to always do that when we're meant to be traveling alright. We should have tried to congest the game Sydney style and make it more of a grind.

Perhaps Eade wanted to roll the dice this week and see where we are really at. Not tagging Judd was pretty interesting, as was not giving Morris first run at Fevola who Morris has done pretty well on in the past.

Absolutely.

I cannot believe how you could allow Judd to run around un-manned. His centre clearance work in the end was the difference between the teams.

For those who argued that Lake is a gun FB and he is ok at picking up leading player's, well there is your proof. In an article in Sunday's HUN he explained what he had learnt from playing on Mooney and how he was led to the ball and how he would be working to rectify that part of his game, well it didn't work yesterday.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Absolutely.

I cannot believe how you could allow Judd to run around un-manned. His centre clearance work in the end was the difference between the teams.
Judd wasn't being tagged for 2.5 quarters when we were 37 points up. We were no where near the ball, man, nor were we desperate enough after that and our disposal suffered. Tagging Judd was one of the least of a our problems then.

For those who argued that Lake is a gun FB and he is ok at picking up leading player's, well there is your proof.
Not sure what you expected Lake to do yesterday. The ball was served on a plate to Fev continuously in the second half. He had gotten in Fev's head early which was a good thing.

Topdog
28-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I was astounded by the Judd and Fevola situations. I had Morris playing on Fevola in my mind all week.

Who did he end up playing on?

Mantis
28-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I was astounded by the Judd and Fevola situations. I had Morris playing on Fevola in my mind all week.

Who did he end up playing on?

Fisher

Go_Dogs
28-07-2008, 10:01 AM
Judd wasn't being tagged for 2.5 quarters when we were 37 points up. We were no where near the ball, man, nor were we desperate enough after that and our disposal suffered. Tagging Judd was one of the least of a our problems then.

Not sure what you expected Lake to do yesterday. The ball was served on a plate to Fev continuously in the second half. He had gotten in Fev's head early which was a good thing.

I think that is the problem though, we rolled the dice to see how we'd go head to head with them (like we will need to do to beat Geelong), we did ok for just over half a match and then fell to bits.

We need to get back to what we were doing at the start of the year, with a more defensive mindset, playing Boyd or Ray or Cross as a tagger. Defensive pressure is our key indicator. Contested ball.

This weekend also saw the re-emergence of 20 Bulldogs players forward side of a stoppage, and no one defensive side for the scenario we didn't win the contested ball. Looks fantastic when we're winning the ball, but we won't win too many games with everyone running forward of the ball looking for cheap goals and stats.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Just three points, and then I'm moving on from that game:

1. Some insisted that Lake, being our gun FB, is CLEARLY the player to play on Fev. Geez flippin' Louise. Got cut up by Mooney last week, Fev this week. Again, Lake is fantastic at reading the game, zoning off his man and being third man up to spoil or mark. One on one with a fast leading forward, he's not even CLOSE to the bloke. It's like he gives the guy a three step head start, and then just gives up and sooks. Watch the way The Glove sits on his man all the way to the mark and makes the guy earn it, even if he can't stop the marking attempt itself. Thank God we had Tom Williams make one of his rare appearances against the Hawks when we played them, otherwise Buddy would have destroyed us. Williams is clearly the man for these jobs -- he needs to get fit, or we have no defensive structure against teams with big, fast, strong gun leading forwards.

2. We needed Scott West in there today. Halfway through the game the Dogs couldn't get their hands on a clean centre clearance, and Crossy's hands today let him down a bit, which is rare.

3. How much did Carlton pay the umps? I'm not kidding. This is a club where Pratt's dirty money bought Judd, blatant tanking got Kreuzer, and both former presidents defrauded the Australian public and economy to the tune of over $100 million, what's a little something-something on the side for the officials? They would probably consider it in their mafia duty to 'help out' the umps; Paying the umps would be a small thing in their world, and we would be naive to think that it wouldn't happen when there's as much money and ego at stake.

The totally weird and wrong and touchy decisions against the Dogs and the numerous NON-decisions against the Blues when caught in possession (which are often worse than decisions), plus the most lopsided and inconsistently (although consistently favouring one team) interpretation of the 50-metre penalty in living memory can't just be sheer incompetence. The consistency of the inconsistency is too perfect to be random.

Watching their players ply their trade off the ball is also to watch one of the dirtiest, cheapest teams go around .. the number of punches I saw thrown surreptitiously off the ball into Dogs midriffs and backs was just disgusting and sickening, and the Dogs were disciplined enough not to retaliate for most part, but I sometimes wished that we would just turn around and scrag with the best of them. However, there is no skill in cheap shots, and nothing brave about punching a bloke when he's running past you. We are just too damn noble.

I can't believe a club gets away with as much as Carlton does. I'm so sick of footy when this sort of corrupt, match-fixing, cheating CRAP just goes unheeded. If Carlton win anything in the next few years I'm giving footy away, because it would just be watching a system that rewards crooks, and I have better places to put my time and money.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Just three points, and then I'm moving on from that game:

1. Some insisted that Lake, being our gun FB, is CLEARLY the player to play on Fev. Geez flippin' Louise. Got cut up by Mooney last week, Fev this week. Again, Lake is fantastic at reading the game, zoning off his man and being third man up to spoil or mark. One on one with a fast leading forward, he's not even CLOSE to the bloke. It's like he gives the guy a three step head start, and then just gives up and sooks. Watch the way The Glove sits on his man all the way to the mark and makes the guy earn it, even if he can't stop the marking attempt itself. Thank God we had Tom Williams make one of his rare appearances against the Hawks when we played them, otherwise Buddy would have destroyed us. Williams is clearly the man for these jobs -- he needs to get fit, or we have no defensive structure against teams with big, fast, strong gun leading forwards.

I don't understand the how the blame is on Lake? Lace up passes from Judd and Stevens to a quality forward is obviously Lake's fault.

Williams played well on Franklin cos the midfield controlled the game. Send the ball in Hawthorns forward line 50 times, no backman will beat Franklin at the moment.

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 11:35 AM
the most lopsided and inconsistently (although consistently favouring one team) interpretation of the 50-metre penalty in living memory can't just be sheer incompetence. The consistency of the inconsistency is too perfect to be random.

Watching their players ply their trade off the ball is also to watch one of the dirtiest, cheapest teams go around .. the number of punches I saw thrown surreptitiously off the ball into Dogs midriffs and backs was just disgusting and sickening, and the Dogs were disciplined enough not to retaliate for most part, but I sometimes wished that we would just turn around and scrag with the best of them. However, there is no skill in cheap shots, and nothing brave about punching a bloke when he's running past you. We are just too damn noble.

I'm not sure about the whole match fixing thing, but the 50 against Harbrow was a terrible decision, all he did was brace himself and try to avoid contact. A Carlton player did the same thing later on and wasn't penalised. I didn't think either was a 50.

As for being too noble, you obviously didn't have the excellent vantage point that I did of Shaggy come in 3rd to the wrestle between Lake and Fev and kneel down on Fev's head as he assisted. Let's not get too pious.
Also agree with your comments about the importance of Tommy Williams. A bit disturbing given his inexperience and injury prone-ness (apologies to all my English teachers).

Mantis
28-07-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't understand the how the blame is on Lake? Lace up passes from Judd and Stevens to a quality forward is obviously Lake's fault.

Williams played well on Franklin cos the midfield controlled the game. Send the ball in Hawthorns forward line 50 times, no backman will beat Franklin at the moment.

I understand that it is hard to defend when there is no pressure being applied up field, but Lake was giving Fevola far too much latitude in the last qtr. Atleast Morris makes you earn every kick.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Unless we have a rapid form reversal by next week, and let's face it we don't exactly have a great record of form reversals, we will be lucky to win another game come September. I see Sydney easily accounting for us next week because we don't play man on man anymore and we don't tackle, North match up well and we never stop Boomer, Brisbane up at the Gabba is probably our only likely win and even that is 50/50 at the moment, Essendon are playing very good footy and we don't have great record at Aami Stadium for Adelaide. By September their confidence will be well and truly shattered.

Happy Days
28-07-2008, 12:09 PM

Lake looked like he wasn't trying in the last qtr.

Disgusting effort. At least in the Rohde years, we were meant to be terrible. I thought we were good this time round?

The Coon Dog
28-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Matthew Lloyd was commentating on the ABC radio yesterday & he said Brian Lake is an annoying player to play on, but if you get on top of him, he can drop his head real quick.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Only entertaining thing out of yesturdays game was when Fev took a mark, was given a 50m penalty and he knocked one of our blokes down on his way through (Cooney i think?)

Umps then reversed it and gave us the free kick. Fev will never learn :)

Go_Dogs
28-07-2008, 12:37 PM
I understand that it is hard to defend when there is no pressure being applied up field, but Lake was giving Fevola far too much latitude in the last qtr. Atleast Morris makes you earn every kick.

Agreed. In situations where the midfield is suffering, Morris is our best pound for pound defender on dangerous smalls or talls. Once Fev got on a bit of a run late yesterday a change should have been made. I'm sure the players themselves have a fair idea, so perhaps there was a direction not to make a change. Either way interesting strategy, especially as Lake is such a confidence player.

2. We needed Scott West in there today. Halfway through the game the Dogs couldn't get their hands on a clean centre clearance, and Crossy's hands today let him down a bit, which is rare.

This has been the case quite a few times this year. Boyd and Cross are both excellent at winning the contested ball, but under pressure do make mistakes by hand that Westy doesn't. (Not a harsh dig at Boyd and Cross as West is obviously pretty exceptional in close with his hands.). But yes, Westy definitely would improve us a lot in close. Let's hope he can get himself back and be able to play somewhere near 70% game time.

Will be interesting to see what unfolds with him over the next month or so I guess.

Mofra
28-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Only entertaining thing out of yesturdays game was when Fev took a mark, was given a 50m penalty and he knocked one of our blokes down on his way through (Cooney i think?)

Umps then reversed it and gave us the free kick. Fev will never learn :)
2nd amusing point.

Everytime Nick Stevens had the ball, someone would yell out "Straughny!!!!!"

Laughed even when we were losing.

bornadog
28-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Totally agree Morris, Fev was at the end of some wonderful passes and his leading to the spoty was brilliant. No one could have stopped that at FB. The problem was upfield as we weren't winning the ball out of the centre. We should take note with the way the ball is delivered to the 50 metre area, and the forwards need to be leading and making space.

Scraggers
28-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Unless we have a rapid form reversal by next week, and let's face it we don't exactly have a great record of form reversals, we will be lucky to win another game come September. I see Sydney easily accounting for us next week because we don't play man on man anymore and we don't tackle, North match up well and we never stop Boomer, Brisbane up at the Gabba is probably our only likely win and even that is 50/50 at the moment, Essendon are playing very good footy and we don't have great record at Aami Stadium for Adelaide. By September their confidence will be well and truly shattered.

Meaning we finish this year the same as last year ... I hope its not all doom and gloom ... we need two wins to secure a Hawthorn v Bulldogs game first week of the finals ... More importantly we need good form coming into the finals to make a mark !!

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 10:38 PM

Who looked like they were trying in the last quarter?
Easy to blame Lake.
I don't believe playing Morris on Fev would have changed anything.

Throughandthrough
30-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Silvagni wouldn't have stopped Fev in the last quarter.

It all comes down to cutting down the supply, we were getting smashed out of the centre.

LostDoggy
30-07-2008, 11:25 PM
When i watched replay, hearing the commentators say 'Bulldogs arent tagging Judd & Stevens' sent shivers down my spine, that was a massive factor in why we lost

Why didnt we have Boyd going with Judd? hes done a great tagging job this year...frustrates me we left them both alone, one being a freakin brownlow medalist.

LostDoggy
30-07-2008, 11:51 PM
When i watched replay, hearing the commentators say 'Bulldogs arent tagging Judd & Stevens' sent shivers down my spine, that was a massive factor in why we lost

Sorry thats BS.
We weren't tagging them when we were 37 points up.
We dropped off in intensity is why we lost.

We tagged Judd and Cousins last year in the WC game at Telstra Dome and lost by more.