PDA

View Full Version : Canberra

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm sure there'll be a few heading up to Canberra on Sunday.
Has anyone been before and would they advise buying a ticket beforehand or is it safe to just swipe the membership card at the gate?
Is it worth getting a seat or is the GA area ok?
Also anyone know a good spot for a post (or even pre) match beverage. I land at about 10am and fly out at about 8pm so I've got a bit of time to kill.

Sockeye Salmon
28-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Not going this year. I have some unexpected expenses coming up.

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Not going this year. I have some unexpected expenses coming up.

My first response would be "when's she due?":D but that says more about my financial situation

The Coon Dog
28-07-2008, 01:56 PM
My first response would be "when's she due?"

http://www.jamesshuggins.com/i/web1/hammer_and_nail.jpg

ledge
28-07-2008, 02:09 PM
The baby making club is well in advance on woof, could some of you new dads,or dads to be, please change your name to players who have played more than 100 games at the bulldogs.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I'll be there flying up on Saturday

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 02:15 PM
The baby making club is well in advance on woof, could some of you new dads,or dads to be, please change your name to players who have played more than 100 games at the bulldogs.

Hmm what has this got to do with Canberra?

Ill be going for the day, i think my flight leaves melb at 8.30 sunday morning, and leaves canberra 8.30 sunday night.
I bought a ticket just in case its packed, but if i can get a good General Admin seat ill stay there, my ticket was $20 but its in the upper stand which im not too interested in..

Im up for meeting some Woofers, ive got from like 9am till the game starts to find stuff to do, same with a couple hours after the game, so if we have a few woofers going we should meet up for brunch somewhere close to Manuka..

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 02:29 PM

You want me to change my name from Douglas Hawkins? :p
I don't think my 11 month old daughter is going to be draft eligible regardless.

aker39
28-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Underdog, you've managed to fit in a few interstate trips this year.

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Underdog, you've managed to fit in a few interstate trips this year.

Some guy with a fondness for umpires put up a thread that Tiger were having a sale late last year. Flew return to Darwin with girl and child for $525. I managed to fly the 3 of us back from Launceston for $45 plus $120 on a Jetstar flight to get down and am flying up to Canberra for $10 on Sunday and using frequent flyers to get back. Won't be doing it next year I'm pretty sure, but at least this week I won't have an infant at the footy so I may get to watch the whole game, unlike Darwin and Launny.

aker39
28-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I also took advantage of those flights, but have had to wait until now to use them. The family (wife & 2 kids) are off to the Gold Coast next week, which "just happens" to coincide with our game at the Gabba. $10 flights = $80 in total.

I'm then going to Adelaide in round 22 with a coupe of my brothers. Once again $10 flights.

Hope it's not too cold in Canberra for you all.

Cyberdoggie
28-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Hmm what has this got to do with Canberra?

Ill be going for the day, i think my flight leaves melb at 8.30 sunday morning, and leaves canberra 8.30 sunday night.
I bought a ticket just in case its packed, but if i can get a good General Admin seat ill stay there, my ticket was $20 but its in the upper stand which im not too interested in..

Im up for meeting some Woofers, ive got from like 9am till the game starts to find stuff to do, same with a couple hours after the game, so if we have a few woofers going we should meet up for brunch somewhere close to Manuka..

it's a lovely ground but you have to remember it's a suburban cricket ground.

the seats are all reserved so best to buy one unless you plan to get their early and "bring" your own fold out seat, or get a standing spot.

The reserved area sold out last time i went so i doubt there will be much available.

Templeton31
28-07-2008, 03:55 PM
AS a new-Dad, bulldog in Canberra I better respond to this thread. ;)

I'd recommend either getting a ticket before if you can or if you just want to swipe then turn up early. It will be close to a sell out which means the GA spots will be pretty tight. GA at manuka Oval is mostly "the hill" (its not much of a hill) on the outer wing where you can sit on the grass or stand up behind the grass. It gets pretty packed and as it doesnt have much elevation the view might not always be the best. It is close to the action though when the ball is on the outer wing boundary - my mate gave David King a hell of a spray one year! :)

On the drink/eat front there are a few options. Manuka Oval is right next to (not suprisingly) the Manuka cafe area so there are plenty of cafes etc. Even a cinema if the footy goes bad ;). Alternately if you walk along the road that comes into the East Gate of the ground you will get to the Kingston Pub and Eastlake Footy club. The Kingo is a niceish pub with bistro etc. Eastlake is NSW-style Leagues club with bistro, pokies, TAB, big screen etc. Only difference to Leagues club is it is actually an AFL club.

Hope that helps.

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks T31, all valuable advice. A bit of local knowledge never goes astray.

Templeton31
28-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks T31, all valuable advice. A bit of local knowledge never goes astray.

No worries Underdog.

I will add another tip for those coming up. Bring your winter woolies! Its not likely to rain but at this time of year typical Canberra weather is overnight -3 and top of 10.

Current forecast for Canberra for Sunday is Fine, Min 0, Max 12.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm going Saturday.
I hope its a better trip than last year

BulldogBelle
28-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Got my tickets thru club. They came express post on friday.

Driving up early friday morning.

Take the kids to a few things friday arvo and saturday then come home monday.

Fingers crossed for that last quater - no more fade outs!!

We will be dressing up warm, it will be bloody cold.

whythelongface
28-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Driving down early Sunday morning. Looking forward to it.

Dry Rot
28-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Going down there Thursday morning to do some sightseeing and see some mates.

Spoke to one tonight - even a hardened local is saying it's real cold down there ATM.

I like the cold - hope there's a stiff breeze off the the snow covered Brindabella mountains on the day. :)

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2008, 02:10 PM
AS a new-Dad, bulldog in Canberra I better respond to this thread. ;)

I'd recommend either getting a ticket before if you can or if you just want to swipe then turn up early. It will be close to a sell out which means the GA spots will be pretty tight. GA at manuka Oval is mostly "the hill" (its not much of a hill) on the outer wing where you can sit on the grass or stand up behind the grass. It gets pretty packed and as it doesnt have much elevation the view might not always be the best. It is close to the action though when the ball is on the outer wing boundary - my mate gave David King a hell of a spray one year! :)

On the drink/eat front there are a few options. Manuka Oval is right next to (not suprisingly) the Manuka cafe area so there are plenty of cafes etc. Even a cinema if the footy goes bad ;). Alternately if you walk along the road that comes into the East Gate of the ground you will get to the Kingston Pub and Eastlake Footy club. The Kingo is a niceish pub with bistro etc. Eastlake is NSW-style Leagues club with bistro, pokies, TAB, big screen etc. Only difference to Leagues club is it is actually an AFL club.

Hope that helps.

Last year we heard that it could be a sell out so we decided we would turn up at 10.00am, swipe our membership cards to get in, then get smokers pass outs and come back in time for the start of the game.

Once we got in they told us no pass outs until the game starts so we had to sit there, bored as hell for 3 hours.

The Underdog
29-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Last year we heard that it could be a sell out so we decided we would turn up at 10.00am, swipe our membership cards to get in, then get smokers pass outs and come back in time for the start of the game.

Once we got in they told us no pass outs until the game starts so we had to sit there, bored as hell for 3 hours.

On T31's advice I just bought a cheap seat. After reading your experience Sockeye I'm glad I did because I was thinking along similiar lines.

Super 27
29-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Got my tickets thru club. They came express post on friday.

Driving up early friday morning.

Take the kids to a few things friday arvo and saturday then come home monday.

Fingers crossed for that last quater - no more fade outs!!

We will be dressing up warm, it will be bloody cold.

Might see you on the road. The wife and i are leaving early friday morning.
I have a mate and his wife that live in Narrabunda a coupleof suburbs away from the ground. Green Square in Kingtson has a few pubs and some nice resturants.

Templeton31
29-07-2008, 04:26 PM
On T31's advice I just bought a cheap seat. After reading your experience Sockeye I'm glad I did because I was thinking along similiar lines.

Curious Underdog - how much was 'cheap seat' with memebership discount? We bought 'standard' seat and with membership it was only $10.

The Underdog
29-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Same here, cheaper than what it cost me in Launceston and Darwin for a seat. It did offer me some viewing restricted seats for $2 but I wasnt sure exactly how restricted they'd be.

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I'll most likely be heading up.

If you see 'DOGS50' on the road with a fat bald guy driving, thats my dad :)

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 08:31 PM
my mates and i are on the sunday morning tiger flight, then heading straight to the pub where you cook your own steak, think its the kingston.

the more the merrier!!

BulldogBelle
29-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Might see you on the road. The wife and i are leaving early friday morning.
I have a mate and his wife that live in Narrabunda a coupleof suburbs away from the ground. Green Square in Kingtson has a few pubs and some nice resturants.

Look for a blue AU Falcon wagon with a dogs membership sticker on the back!!!!

We must not be to far from there we are staying at Best Western, Narrabundah Ln Symonston???

Super 27
30-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Look for a blue AU Falcon wagon with a dogs membership sticker on the back!!!!

We must not be to far from there we are staying at Best Western, Narrabundah Ln Symonston???

No worries....i'll be in a Navy Blue Mazada Sports Wagon....member sticker ont he back and ths scarf flying out the window.

Templeton31
30-07-2008, 10:48 AM
my mates and i are on the sunday morning tiger flight, then heading straight to the pub where you cook your own steak, think its the kingston.

the more the merrier!!

yeh woofgirl thats the Kingston Hotel ("The Kingo") I mentioned in an earlier post. You can see the gates to the ground from the Kingo balcony.

Templeton31
30-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Based on Canberra Times this morning I reckon if you are coming up you should try and get a ticket in advance. Newspaper says as of yesterday 9500 tickets sold which is 500 more than at same day before game last year. Last year there was 14500 at the game and given its capacity is 15000 thats pretty packed. Also next to the article there was a photo of Woofer at one of the local primary schools promoting the game so there's sure to be a run on tickets now. ;)

LostDoggy
30-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I will be at an archery competition all day, so I will have to record it and watch the game when I get home.

LostDoggy
02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Anyone else going by themselves tomorrow morning?

We can meet a fellow WOOFer if you like lol

Dunno what im gunna do while im there for a few hours..
Head over to parliment i guess?

Hit a pub pretty early too, before headin to the ground at 12ish..

Anyone else in the area without plans let us know!