PDA

View Full Version : Its time the 50 metre penalty is reviewed - fans and players are confused

bornadog
28-07-2008, 02:19 PM
This penalty is very tough on teams, especially with some of the ridiculous interpretations and circumstances. We copped a few last night and for the life of me I don't know why.

1. Eagle got pinged for holding the ball, despite having no prior opportunity, and then cops a 50 metre penalty. Probably because he questioned why.
2. Fev on the lead, Lake right up there with him, the momentum of his action falls on top of Fev. For goodness sake, Lake had no hope of stopping - 50 metre penalty. Lucky, Fev has no brain and free kick reversed.
3. Harbrow trys to stop him self running into a player that had marked a ball, it was evident to every one in the ground, except the umpire.

I for one am sick and tired of these penalties as the original rule was to stop players rushing at players after they marked it so that there was an advantage to the team to delay play and pick up players down field. Now its gone beyond ridiculous.

Time to change the rule, its costing teams games.

Mofra
28-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Number 1 was because Eagle wouldn't hand the ball back when asked. He was trying to hold up play & give our defenders a chance to cover the Blues players streaming forward. Smart play if you don't get pinged for it.

The Underdog
28-07-2008, 04:43 PM
With the frequency which they are handed out these days, is it time to bring back a lesser 15m or 25 m penalty for such things as time wasting or non violent infringements.

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Number 1 was because Eagle wouldn't hand the ball back when asked. He was trying to hold up play & give our defenders a chance to cover the Blues players streaming forward. Smart play if you don't get pinged for it.

True but should it really have been holding the ball, as they say where was the prior opportunity. As with Harbrow I'm sure I saw a Carlton player (can't remember the name) do exactly the same thing with no penalty. The thing that irks most is the inconsistancies, I wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't mind so much if the rule interpretations were at least consistant for the match, unlike yesterday. Also when Cross got pinged for attacking the footy, I thought the main job was to protect the man going for the ball, obviously not, damn umpires.

Sockeye Salmon
28-07-2008, 10:44 PM
The 50 metre rules are OK - you can't legislate for morons ****ing it up.

I'm far more concerned about hands in the back and chopping the arms

hujsh
28-07-2008, 11:15 PM
True but should it really have been holding the ball, as they say where was the prior opportunity. As with Harbrow I'm sure I saw a Carlton player (can't remember the name) do exactly the same thing with no penalty. The thing that irks most is the inconsistancies, I wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't mind so much if the rule interpretations were at least consistant for the match, unlike yesterday. Also when Cross got pinged for attacking the footy, I thought the main job was to protect the man going for the ball, obviously not, damn umpires.

Worst rule in the history of the game.

Makes hands in the back look awesome.

Desperation is penalised

bornadog
18-04-2010, 11:35 PM
There have been some shockers given over the past few weeks. I don't believe last weeks against Minson was warranted, or last nights one against Shaggy. Yes the Minson one in the first round is what the penalty was originally designed to stop.

Surely some common sense must prevail.

Mofra
19-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Shaggy was airborne before Brown even marked it. A couple of years ago Skipper was pinged for exactly the same thing.

Surely the umpires can't expect players to defy the laws of physics.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Shaggy was airborne before Brown even marked it. A couple of years ago Skipper was pinged for exactly the same thing.

Surely the umpires can't expect players to defy the laws of physics.

Exactly. I thought the same thing when I saw it - how the hell was Shaggy supposed to stop in mid air? :mad:

hujsh
19-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Exactly. I thought the same thing when I saw it - how the hell was Shaggy supposed to stop in mid air? :mad:

All he had to do was switch on his jetpack and fly away from Brown.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Worst rule in the history of the game.

Makes hands in the back look awesome.

Desperation is penalised

Yeh. A real sad day when the player attacking the ball is penalised!!
Gotta reward that sort of thing.