PDA

View Full Version : Everitt and Hill

LostDoggy
28-07-2008, 11:17 PM
To me these two have been disappointing. I know often on top of promising debuts comes a drop off factor but we need more from them.

Everitt is no where near the level he was last year. I understand the side was at a low and anything different looked good. At least last season, he took marks and made runs. His fumbles were terrible and had no positive influence at all yesterday.
Whats going on? Is it the hair cut? He is bigger and stronger this season but worse?

Hill may escape a drop but only cos he kicked a few goals. For someone with so called great running capacity I haven't seen him run with the ball too often since the early rounds.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 12:06 AM
To me these two have been disappointing. I know often on top of promising debuts comes a drop off factor but we need more from them.

Everitt is no where near the level he was last year. I understand the side was at a low and anything different looked good. At least last season, he took marks and made runs. His fumbles were terrible and had no positive influence at all yesterday.
Whats going on? Is it the hair cut? He is bigger and stronger this season but worse?

Hill may escape a drop but only cos he kicked a few goals. For someone with so called great running capacity I haven't seen him run with the ball too often since the early rounds.

He is worse. He was promising last year but has done nothing this year and is not progressing rapidly enough to ensure he holds his spot. His fumbles were shocking and they happened on 3 or 4 occasions, he turned the ball over by foot and looked disinterested in getting the ball. I don't know about the other options but I would be tempted to play Wight instead of Everitt or even Tiller and play him back, at least Tiller attacks the ball and applies pressure. I would even try Everitt forward and put Welsh back. Welsh has been a bit out of sorts as well and Rocket put him back on Sunday night with some result. I'd personally be happy with a straight swap for Williams and bring in Callan for Addison when fit.

bornadog
29-07-2008, 12:19 AM
May I remind you, Everitt just turned 19 and has played only 15 games, 7 this year, did his knee preseason and is just a kid. Ha sshown promise and has been forced to play CHB when he is nowhere near ready.

Hill, 19 years old, played 12 games, 11 this year, and has done some great things. Has kicked 11 goals and averaging 14 disposals a game.

Give them a break, not sure what people are expecting from these promising young guys that are virtually in their first seasons as footballers.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Not expecting much but at least intensity at the ball. If Rocket puts them on the park they are good enough and if they appear not to they, like any other player need to come under pressure and be replaced. They don't have to have the intensity of like Addison or Harbrow but they need to show at least something, some kind of intensity, Hill has been ok IMO but Everitt looks disinterested in the ball atm.

Mantis
29-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Yeah they haven't been great, but a few of there more experienced 'mates' need to have a little bit of pressure applied to them as well.

I'm not hearing much criticism of our 'senior' players whose attack on the ball and the man with the ball has been less than satisfactory over the past month.

I'm willing to cut some slack to our younger more slight bodied players which includes these 2.

Mofra
29-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Everitt needs a spell; he is a KPP and realistically 2-3 years away from making a serious impact at AFL level. The decision to warehouse Grant this season is a smart one, as KPP should be handled with cotton wool somewhat during their early years, lest they get monstered by opposition talls (look at Josh Fraser, he'll never hit his potential because of the way Collingwood treated him at the start of his career).

Hill has been ok, at least he has tackled, although his intensity is down and needs to lift.
Welsh has put on a few chases, although I think he is more comfortable closer to goal & given a preference I'd move him there rather than the HF line. Eade probably put him there as this has been our weakest area for a few games now.

I'd agree with Tiller or Wight in the side - I'd lean towards Wight as a CHB, and I liked Tiller forward as well. Last year he played as a defensive forward & kicked a goal per game, and his intensity seems to be higher this year.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Everitt needs a spell; he is a KPP and realistically 2-3 years away from making a serious impact at AFL level. The decision to warehouse Grant this season is a smart one, as KPP should be handled with cotton wool somewhat during their early years, lest they get monstered by opposition talls (look at Josh Fraser, he'll never hit his potential because of the way Collingwood treated him at the start of his career).

Hill has been ok, at least he has tackled, although his intensity is down and needs to lift.
Welsh has put on a few chases, although I think he is more comfortable closer to goal & given a preference I'd move him there rather than the HF line. Eade probably put him there as this has been our weakest area for a few games now.

I'd agree with Tiller or Wight in the side - I'd lean towards Wight as a CHB, and I liked Tiller forward as well. Last year he played as a defensive forward & kicked a goal per game, and his intensity seems to be higher this year.

You think everyone needs a spell, we wont have many players left;) Everitt needs to remember what number he is wearing and why he was given it. He should go and have a look at the names on his locker. It's not really his fault, as others on this thread have suggested he is a skinny 19 year old, but if he is not ready he should be at Willi and Tiller or Wight should be in the side.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah they haven't been great, but a few of there more experienced 'mates' need to have a little bit of pressure applied to them as well.

I'm not hearing much criticism of our 'senior' players whose attack on the ball and the man with the ball has been less than satisfactory over the past month.

I'm willing to cut some slack to our younger more slight bodied players which includes these 2.

I think Hahn, Gia, Eagleton, Aker and even BJ have come under scrutiny over the past month although Hahn, Aker and BJ may be carrying niggles and Gia had an interrupted pre-season.

Desipura
29-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I will say this about Hill, he has that "x" factor you need in September. He has a great leap off one step and I like they way he can read the play by cutting off a lead (when his confidence is up)

Mofra
29-07-2008, 01:28 PM
You think everyone needs a spell, we wont have many players left;) Everitt needs to remember what number he is wearing and why he was given it. He should go and have a look at the names on his locker. It's not really his fault, as others on this thread have suggested he is a skinny 19 year old, but if he is not ready he should be at Willi and Tiller or Wight should be in the side.
Everitt & Aker need a spell, that's not everyone.

Everitt's form has been terrible and a number of people agree. He clearly needs time.
Aker is clearly injured and is barely having any sort of impact in games.

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2008, 02:50 PM

i'm certainly with you there.

have a look at the possesion stats from the last 2 games and there is certainly some senior repeat offenders when we lose games.

Blaming hill and everitt isn't appropriate.

Bagging them for possibly not being as good as they should is perfectly fine.

Everitt has been rubbish all year, even before his injury he was dreadful in pre-season matches. Looked slow and had no confidence in his own ability. Perhaps the number 3 is weighing heavy on the young lad. Methinks it perhaps a little too soon to pass such a heavy number on such an in-experienced player.

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 02:56 PM
No one is pointing the blame solely on them. Just stating they have been disappointing.

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2008, 03:11 PM
No one is pointing the blame solely on them. Just stating they have been disappointing.

if we had of won that game, and hill had exactly the same game, kicked 2 goals 9 possesions, we would of been saying how clever he is at finding goals etc, but because we lost of all of sudden he had a bad game and isn't standing up.

the fact is that hill wasn't bad, he was good but just didn't have enough of the ball and defensively he is still weak.

everitt however i agree is dissapointing and out of form. He was rushed back way too early based on talent and reputation alone. There always seems to be different rules for different people when it comes to selecting bulldog sides. If your name is everitt or williams you seem to go top of the list to fill a spot regardless of form at willy.
Everyone else has to prove themselves.

Mind you i also think the coaching should be partially to blame. I wonder how many goals rocket thought fevola could get before we moved players?
Lake has never been any good on fev because he burns him on the lead, lake is excellent at goal square body on body defence, but struggles with fast leading forwards, lloyd, thompson, fevola. While we were getting destroyed by carlton's midfield in that last quarter they had the luxury of delivering the ball on a platter in front of fev on a lead. We had to put morris on him at this stage, carlton had wiggins and fevola just about kick all their goals and morris wasn't on either of them at any stage. At the very least i think he might of prevented 1 or 2 of those shots on goal, this could of given us a sniff.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Everitt & Aker need a spell, that's not everyone.

Everitt's form has been terrible and a number of people agree. He clearly needs time.
Aker is clearly injured and is barely having any sort of impact in games.

There are other senior players in the team sorely lacking form as well as a few carrying injuries. I am unsure why you have not mentioned them, or do you propose a rotation system? I don't think we can rest Aker just as Johnno has been carrying an injury and we haven't rested him. Mitch Hahn's foot, Scott Welsh's back, Griffen's thigh it goes on. The players listed on this post have all been down on form through some kind of injury. Aker and Johnno at 60% are better than anything else in the rank and file. Once 2nd or 3rd position is absolutely sewn up it should be considered but not before.

Mofra
29-07-2008, 04:19 PM
There are other senior players in the team sorely lacking form as well as a few carrying injuries. I am unsure why you have not mentioned them, or do you propose a rotation system?
Simple. Everitt isn't a senior player, he isn't holding his place in the team. He was the 22nd best for us last week, so doesn't hold his spot.
Aker is ineffectual at the moment. His greatest strength is getting the ball deep & kicking the ball around a defender for a difficult goal. His injury effects his lateral movement which means he can't get around defenders - hence his quiet month.

He isn't mentioned in the same vein as Johnno (tried his guts out last week, got a reasonable amount of the ball) Hahn (3 goals) or Welsh (chased hard & made position) as he is not making an impact at all, whilst the others (in varying degrees) are.

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 06:06 PM
if we had of won that game, and hill had exactly the same game, kicked 2 goals 9 possesions, we would of been saying how clever he is at finding goals etc, but because we lost of all of sudden he had a bad game and isn't standing up.

the fact is that hill wasn't bad, he was good but just didn't have enough of the ball and defensively he is still weak.

We didn't win and if we get wingman so called ball carrier getting 9 possessions a game we will lose more. 2 goals is the only reason he will survive another week.

bornadog
29-07-2008, 06:31 PM
We didn't win and if we get wingman so called ball carrier getting 9 possessions a game we will lose more. 2 goals is the only reason he will survive another week.

We need to give young guys game time as part of their development. If you add in Harbrow as well thats three first year players ( I mean three players with less than a full season of games). This can only work when you have more senior players playing at their best.

Personally, I thought we made an error in dropping Wight after the Melbourne game and he should have been in for both the Geelong and Carlton games, given that Williams was out.

IMHO - Current Wight>Everitt
Future reverse.

1eyedog
29-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Simple. Everitt isn't a senior player, he isn't holding his place in the team. He was the 22nd best for us last week, so doesn't hold his spot.
Aker is ineffectual at the moment. His greatest strength is getting the ball deep & kicking the ball around a defender for a difficult goal. His injury effects his lateral movement which means he can't get around defenders - hence his quiet month.

He isn't mentioned in the same vein as Johnno (tried his guts out last week, got a reasonable amount of the ball) Hahn (3 goals) or Welsh (chased hard & made position) as he is not making an impact at all, whilst the others (in varying degrees) are.

Maybe just Eagleton then with his 9 possessions although Welsh needs a change of scenery from the goal square, he has been largely ineffective there. I undertand what you are saying about Aker. I watched Carazzo walk around him on the mark like he wasn't even there, still think we need to keep playing him, sure Rocket will because he knows he will come good.

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I will say this about Hill, he has that "x" factor you need in September. He has a great leap off one step and I like they way he can read the play by cutting off a lead (when his confidence is up)

Agree, his ability to take a grab inside 50 is sorely needed in our team ATM.

LostDoggy
29-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Both been a little down but still oh so young they are in learning mode.

Mofra
29-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe just Eagleton then with his 9 possessions although Welsh needs a change of scenery from the goal square, he has been largely ineffective there. I undertand what you are saying about Aker. I watched Carazzo walk around him on the mark like he wasn't even there, still think we need to keep playing him, sure Rocket will because he knows he will come good.
I prefer Welsh from the goal square, however Eade was probably trying to inject some life in the HF line as Welsh was still chasing hard late in the game, and Hahn had shown much more closer to goal than at HF as well. Eagleton (despite the knockers) would have some brownie points up to keep him in the 22, although I still query his defensive efforts,

The Carazzo incident is a real indication that Aker has been found out. The guy simply can't push off laterally at the moment, and I'd be willing to lose him for a few weeks if it meant a fit Aker ready for the finals.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2008, 10:39 PM
The guy simply can't push off laterally at the moment, and I'd be willing to lose him for a few weeks if it meant a fit Aker ready for the finals.

Heard him on SEN tonight he said he is fine just had a few down weeks. Will be interesting to see how he goes against Sydney. I think he is carrying something though.