PDA

View Full Version : If you want to expand the competition...

Sockeye Salmon
31-07-2008, 10:04 PM
...surely you would look at adding a side in the nations biggest growth corridor.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24104482-2862,00.html

"Three of the city's municipalities were among the nation's top 10 growth areas, according to the Victorian Population Bulletin 2008. And growth in outer western suburbs like Werribee and Hoppers Crossing outstripped that in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.
Just days ago, Mr Brumby warned the state was reaching its population limit amid rising road congestion, crowded public transport and pressure on the health system.

"I think we are probably at the limits of growth," he said.

Former premier Jeff Kennett yesterday criticised Mr Brumby for lacking proper population and water policies.

"Brumby is crowing about Victoria growing by 76,000 people a year, but we don't have a program of how we are going to accommodate those people," he said.

As of June 30 last year, there were 5.2 million Victorians. And Monash University demographer Dr Bob Birrell said if current immigration and fertility rates continued, Melbourne's population would grow by almost another million over the next 15 years.

"Pressure on housing costs, rental prices and congestion will intensify and this will add to the overload that the city's already experiencing," he said.

The state's top growth municipality was Wyndham, covering outer western suburbs such as Werribee and Hoppers Crossing, adding more than 7000 people in 2006-07.

Next was Casey, in the city's south-east growth corridor, which added about 6800 more people to areas such as Berwick and Cranbourne.

The Shire of Melton, which adjoins Wyndham, saw an influx of almost 5000 people.

All three shires were in the national top 10 for growth. "

hujsh
31-07-2008, 10:09 PM
No, just leave us there thanks.

LostDoggy
31-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Thats where the new pokies go not the new teams.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Not surprised.

Werribee & Hoppers continues to grow, plenty of newly developed sites, and there's still room - particularly out the Wyndhamvale side, if I can remember correctly. The Werribee/Hoppers region actually extends out a fair proportion, it's bigger than most people think, and the fact that it has two functioning night clubs is a sure sign of that - especially when you cvonsider many of them aged below 35.

Personally I prefer the competition as it is though. I think the AFL are making a mistake incorporating another football team, particularly ones based in predominately rugby cultures. It's too 'forced' - I bet the GC people couldn't give a rats, by and large.

Topdog
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Most of Werribee and Hoppers is badly lacking in infrastructure though, esp. the newer regions. Attempting to get anything resembling the Internet there would be nigh on impossible.

Go_Dogs
01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I think we are probably at the limits of growth," he said.

Former premier Jeff Kennett yesterday criticised Mr Brumby for lacking proper population and water policies.

"Brumby is crowing about Victoria growing by 76,000 people a year, but we don't have a program of how we are going to accommodate those people," he said.

So I shouldn't be aiming to move to Melbourne?

Twodogs
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
So I shouldn't be aiming to move to Melbourne?

More like you shouldnt be listening to the rubbish that spills from Kennetts mouth. Pretty much everyone who doesnt barrack for Hawthorn woke up to him in september 1999.

Thank Christ or we woudlnt have ANY public infrastructure left.

Sockeye Salmon
01-08-2008, 06:09 PM
More like you shouldnt be listening to the rubbish that spills from Kennetts mouth. Pretty much everyone who doesnt barrack for Hawthorn woke up to him in september 1999.

Thank Christ or we woudlnt have ANY public infrastructure left.

Of course when he took over Victoria's credit rating had dropped from AAA to COD.

Twodogs
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Of course when he took over Victoria's credit rating had dropped from AAA to COD.

Actually it was AA. Amazing what an advertising man can convince everyone to believe.

And if Kennet hadnt had an intelligent bloke like Stockdale backing him up then we'd really be in the poo these days. We'd have no power, no water or public services and no money. At least Stockdale overruled Kennet's worse excesses and made sure the money came in. If Kennett had been left to his own devices he would have just given them all away.

LostDoggy
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Love the political commentary! You guys remind me why I keep coming back here..

Re: the original thread, the Dogs HAVE to be best placed to exploit this. It would be negligent in the extreme to not be able to tap into this growth, and I believe that we are, with the corresponding increase in support over the medium term (4/5 years minimum before we start seeing it translate into solid numbers, I would suggest).

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 10:40 PM
The dogs had the opportunity to tap into the growth out in Werribee/Hoppers when they were aligned with Werribee.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2008, 10:56 PM
The dogs had the opportunity to tap into the growth out in Werribee/Hoppers when they were aligned with Werribee.

I don't think too many kids would care about the alignment at all.

Werribee were only interested in Werribee, they had to go.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2008, 01:26 AM
I don't think too many kids would care about the alignment at all.

Werribee were only interested in Werribee, they had to go.
Exactly right.

If they cared enough about the relationship they would have worked on it with us, not delayed the development of many of our players.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Easier to build services infrastructure around Tarneit and throughout Casey and support a team out there one day than convert rugby league loving west Sydney or the GC imo. Sydney are supposed to have the biggest supporter base in Australia but they don't have a lot more members than us and I think the lowest of all the interstate teams (except maybe Brisbane), just like me and the Melbourne Storm Sydney siders don't give a shieser about the Swans. Any more Victorian clubs though and hell's bells will sound for us and North. Werribee has always been 30% Bulldogs, 40% Geelong and then the rest, those figures are a mathematical approximation based on the survey of 2,500 Werribee residents, not overly empirical but that's how social surveys are conducted. Source is the AFL almanac 2003.

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
My OP didn't really mean that I thought the AFL should have another side in the Western Suburbs.

My point was that the AFL are pushing into GC & WS because "they are the fastest growing areas in Australia" while at the same time considering removing the CBF and therefore ensuring a continued struggle for the one team they already have who really is in the "fastest growing area of Australia".

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 08:37 PM
My OP didn't really mean that I thought the AFL should have another side in the Western Suburbs.

My point was that the AFL are pushing into GC & WS because "they are the fastest growing areas in Australia" while at the same time considering removing the CBF and therefore ensuring a continued struggle for the one team they already have who really is in the "fastest growing area of Australia".

I know but it went that way kinda. I was replying to another post, shoulda quoted