PDA

View Full Version : Everitt brothers battle in capital

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Everitt brothers battle in capital (http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=64622)

SUNDAY’S clash between the Sydney Swans and the Western Bulldogs in Canberra isn’t just a pivotal fixture because it pits third against fourth; it is also the first time the Everitt brothers, ‘Spida’ and Andrejs will play against one another.

The 15-year age gap between the pair means they haven’t even had a kick around in the backyard of the family home.

‘Spida’ is now 34 and a veteran of 284 games while Andrejs is still an AFL babe at just 19 years of age and with a mere 15 games under his belt.

But ‘Spida’ forecast that there would be some sledging, particularly if the brothers found themselves matched-up at any stage of the game.

“I’ll have to tell him to make sure he does the right things because he’s mum’s favourite and she’ll be watching him,” Spida said.

“That will put him under huge pressure and if I remind him that she’s come all this way to watch him and not me it will definitely put him off his game.”

And although younger brother Andrejs admitted that he was the “mum’s boy” of the family, he said he wouldn’t be distracted by his big brother’s taunts. In fact, he believed the family support would work in his favour.

“He’s just jealous because he’s not mum’s favourite anymore,” Andrejs says.

“I love my parents coming to watch. He’ll be more worried because he knows mum will be all focused on me and he’ll crack under the pressure of trying to get her attention.”

Who to support is a cause of much conflict in the Everitt household.

Each family member’s intentions for the season ahead must be flagged before the end of the previous year.

“Every Christmas, on the back of the lounge room door, we’ve got a big sign there where you have to tick which side you’re going to follow for the year, whether it’s the Bulldogs or the Swans,” ‘Spida said.

“Nobody’s allowed to sit on the fence. I think it’s 14 for the Swans and 12 for the Bulldogs at the moment. But then I have four kids so that makes it sway my way.”

Andrejs had a very different theory as to why his older brother was winning the battle for support.

“He got over the line because he’s coming to the end of his career and they feel sorry for him,” Andrejs said.

In fact, only the four Everitt sisters remain neutral.

“My mum’s knitted jumpers which are half Bulldogs and half Swans for the girls. Left hand the Bulldogs, right half the Swans.”

While the battle of the brothers has certainly caused a divide in the Everitt family, ‘Spida’ said it had even affected Swans’ coach Paul Roos’ approach to the game.

“Roosy had to put something nice in the team report when we reviewed the opposition because he thought that if he wrote something too bad about Andrew (Andrejs)I might not like it,” ‘Spida’ said.

And although Andrejs admitted that his older brother had always been his “hero”, he vowed not to hold back from the contest.

“I think I’ve got him covered. He’s not as quick, he’s not as agile and he’s basically playing on one leg at the moment so if it does come down to me and him I think he should be worried. I’m out there to hurt him. We won’t be going easy on each other that’s for sure,” Andrejs said.

However, older brother Spida, insisted that inflicting “hurt” on his younger sibling would have serious consequences for family gatherings in the near future.

“We’ve got dinner organised after the game so if I do anything bad to Andrew I’m sure that will be cancelled.”

ledge
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Great to see the two having a good laugh.

hujsh
01-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Didn't mind that. Interesting they said they never had a kick. Surely not true

KT31
01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hopefully this week he will start performing to his potential .
Has been well and truly down on form this season nothing like the Andrej we seen last season.
Isn't it 2nd against 4th ?

firstdogonthemoon
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Isnt it good to read something other than the normal game of two halves, mustnt underestimate blah blah blah.

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Isnt it good to read something other than the normal game of two halves, mustnt underestimate blah blah blah.
Yeah, I thought that too, tho Spida generally tells it exactly how he sees it.

BulldogBelle
02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Has been well and truly down on form this season nothing like the Andrej we seen last season.

Andrejs looked fantastic in the 2nd half of last season when a significant amount of other players were performing poorly.

Andrejs looked like a deer in headlights, and like a skinny kid playing against Geelong several weeks ago...cant really criticise his disposal or decision making, its just his ability to contest against bigger bodies puts him under the spotlight.

The rest of this season is going to be a fantatic expereince for him, and have not doubts that he will be a better player for it in the future.

bornadog
02-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Andrejs looked fantastic in the 2nd half of last season when a significant amount of other players were performing poorly.

Andrejs looked like a deer in headlights, and like a skinny kid playing against Geelong several weeks ago...cant really criticise his disposal or decision making, its just his ability to contest against bigger bodies puts him under the spotlight.

The rest of this season is going to be a fantatic expereince for him, and have not doubts that he will be a better player for it in the future.

Thats what he is. Will be a great player for us in years to come. In the meantime we have to be patient as we develop him.

The Pie Man
03-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Third temporarily as the Dawks moved into 2nd on Friday night....well at least I'm confident it's only temporary.

That was a good article - don't like Spida much though, or at least the stories you read about his time at Hawthorn and the raffle he ran rather dodgily. Stories of him standing up to Grant Thomas while at St Kilda are funnier

bornadog
03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Third temporarily as the Dawks moved into 2nd on Friday night....well at least I'm confident it's only temporary.

That was a good article - don't like Spida much though, or at least the stories you read about his time at Hawthorn and the raffle he ran rather dodgily. Stories of him standing up to Grant Thomas while at St Kilda are funnier

I hope little brother doesn't listen to big brother about money, loyalties etc in years to come.