PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs vs. Sydney - Whilst it's happening.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Thought I'd take the liberty of putting up a "Game Day" type of thread for our first official match of the 2007 season, where we can post specifically about how the side is performing throughout the match, including the progress of players etc.

I can't see the game because I don't have Foxtel, so those of you who do have it will be able to give a better indication. I will, however, report on what I can through the radio.

Does anyone have the link to SEN?

Dry Rot
24-02-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm off to the Alexandria Hotel to watch it - tally ho chaps! Let's kick arse!

southerncross
24-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Off to a nice start with a goal to Johhno. Some very interesting field placements with so many of the experienced guys starting on the bench.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Griffen has been on fire.

6 possessions and 3 clearances in ten minutes.

Plus, he has set-up a few plays.

McDougall apparently has been impressive going by radio. Kicked a very good goal and has been presenting pretty well. The radio have wraps for him.

Higgins has done a few things.

Johnson seems to be in the play a bit too.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The conditions are horrid. Wind sounds like something shocking.

Harris has kicked a big 9 pointer running down from FB.

Right on the siren, Lynch has produced some serious magic with a goal.

Quarter time, and the signs sound pretty good. We appear to be running and pretty sharp. Nice to hear Lynch, Pask, Addison & McDougall getting a bit of ball.

southerncross
24-02-2007, 04:17 PM
The conditions are horrid. Wind sounds like something shocking.

Harris has kicked a big 9 pointer running down from FB.

Right on the siren, Lynch has produced some serious magic with a goal.

Quarter time, and the signs sound pretty good. We appear to be running and pretty sharp. Nice to hear Lynch, Pask, Addison & McDougall getting a bit of ball.

It's a bloody strong wind no question and there was some nice passages of play. McDougall is doing OK and so is Pask. Lynch is exciting and Addison took a nice grab. The Harris goal was a ripper. Griffen was very good early.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 04:17 PM
12-5 in the stoppages at quarter time our way.

Better sign, even though Sydney aren't fielding a particuarly experienced side.

southerncross
24-02-2007, 04:26 PM
12-5 in the stoppages at quarter time our way.

Better sign, even though Sydney aren't fielding a particuarly experienced side.

Did someone say Wayne Campbell? :)

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The Aboriginal boys seem to be doing well. Lynch & Harbrow have been very exciting and have got quite a bit of the ball, whilst Faulkner has done some nice things too.

McDougall seems to be in the action a fair bit, presenting and applying some defensive pressure.

These are the types you hope to see playing well.

southerncross
24-02-2007, 04:47 PM
So how does everyone rate our performance so far?
Who has surprised and has anyone been a disappointment?

southerncross
24-02-2007, 04:51 PM
The Aboriginal boys seem to be doing well. Lynch & Harbrow have been very exciting and have got quite a bit of the ball, whilst Faulkner has done some nice things too.

McDougall seems to be in the action a fair bit, presenting and applying some defensive pressure.

These are the types you hope to see playing well.

I'd add Baird to that list as well. He did some nice things. Addison shows a bit.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Griffen, Higgins, Addison, Lynch, Harbrow, McDougall, Baird, Faulkner have all been impressive from what I can collect listening in on the radio.

Big wraps on the radio for Griffen, Higgins, Lynch, Harbrow and ESPECIALLY McDougall. They are forever saying positive things about Doogs.

Addison appears to be doing pretty well also.

Wight was courageous, got a bit of a knock.

firstdogonthemoon
24-02-2007, 06:33 PM
How did we go?

I am quite pleased - I thought a number of people with ???? over their heads stood up - doogs, missy, even dmac

there were unexpected contributions from baird (it was a bit patchy but......) and skipper wasnt too bad either

and how about harbrow and lynch!!

wight turned up, and all of the experienced players who played turned up as well

griffen is a monster A MONSTER do you understand what i am saying

oh migod he is football GOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD

must have a lie down

Twodogs
24-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Doogs started well and got more and more confident as the game went on. Some of his saving marks in defence toward the end of the game were terrefic.

Minson spent almost the whole game in the ruck and looked much fitter than last season.

Harbrow and Lynch are going to be the new Krakour brothers. Very impressed with Lynch.

bulldogtragic
24-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Was it just me, or did Harbrow and particularly Lynch look like 50 to 100 game players that had been doing it for years.

I want to see Hill & Andrejs now.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Was it just me, or did Harbrow and particularly Lynch look like 50 to 100 game players that had been doing it for years.

I want to see Hill & Andrejs now.

The only question mark is if both small forwards be squeezed into the same team at the same time? It worked well today against an undermanned Swans and Johnson and Robbins have struck up a winning formula however, it works because both of them are such good marks.
Lynch and Harbrow would need to add more strings to their bow.

Atkins and the Bees should win the flag this year if they can have the likes of Lynch, Harbrow, Hughes, Hill, Everitt, Stack and Pask running around.

GVGjr
24-02-2007, 08:56 PM
NAB Cup: Bulldogs too good for slow-starting Swans
(http://prod.www.afl.cfour.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=38376)
8:05:00 PM Sat 24 February, 2007 | Back

Pre-season cup favourites the Western Bulldogs have comfortably accounted for notoriously slow-starters Sydney by 37 points in their NAB Cup clash in Canberra today.

The Dogs won 1.12.16 (97) to 1.9.7 (70) and will play either St Kilda or Brisbane in the second round of the NAB Cup.

Coach Rodney Eade was pleased with his side's opening effort despite stars Scott West and Brad Johnson having quiet days in Canberra.

"I was pretty pleased with the performance - they were pretty trying conditions in terms of the heat early and then it was very windy," said Eade.

"I thought for three of four quarters we dominated the play."

Powerful Swans tall Jesse White and Dogs' livewire Malcolm Lynch provided bright notes for their clubs with three goals each in impressive outings.

Imposing Bulldogs midfielder Ryan Griffen was best on ground with Lindsay Gilbee highly influential with his run out of the back line.

The only downside for the Bulldogs was Farren Ray being booked for charging Sydney's Paul Bevan in the final moments of the match.

The Swans have never won a pre-season match under Paul Roos, during a tenure that has included a premiership and two grand final appearances in the past two seasons.

They started with big guns Adam Goodes and Brett Kirk on the bench and the Bulldogs made the early running in the steamy conditions which eased as the match wore on.

Bulldogs spearhead Brad Johnson needed less than two minutes to open his team's scoring before Kirk entered and opened Sydney's goal account.

However, recruit Andrew McDougall's clever snap, defender Brian Harris' booming nine-pointer in a rare foray forward and Lynch's goal on the siren handed the 'Dogs a 21-point quarter-time lead.

White kept the Swans in the contest with a strong mark and goal from 45m out before All-Australian defender Craig Bolton got the fumbles in the goal square.

Bolton accidentally knocked the ball back to Travis Baird who kicked it off the ground straight past him for a major as the Dogs grabbed a 23-point halftime advantage.

The Swans fought back with the opening three goals of the third term, closing within eight points before the Dogs settled with the final three goals of the term.

Colourful Bulldogs recruit Jason Akermanis was paid plenty of attention from the opening bounce, being tagged by Kieren Jack, who himself made headlines last week after being named in the AFL's betting probe.

Akermanis provided a touch of class from the opening bounce of the fourth quarter by booting it forward and Shaun Higgins took advantage by swooping on the ball and kicking the sealer.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.3.6 1.4.13 1.7.15 1.12.16 (97)

SYDNEY 0.2.0 0.3.3 0.6.3 1.9.7 (70)

Goals: Bulldogs: Nine-point goals: D Harris. Goals: M Lynch 3 M Robbins 2 B Johnson 2 A McDougall T Baird R Griffen J Harbrow S Higgins. Sydney: Nine-point goals: B Kirk. Goals: J White 3 T Richards 2 B Kirk S Rowe N Davis D Currie.

Best: Western Bulldogs: R Griffen D Cross M Lynch L Gilbee J McMahon S Power. Sydney: B Kirk B Mathews J White T Schmidt T Richards N Malceski.

Umpires: H Kennedy C Kamolins S Grun.

Official Crowd: 5,557 at Manuka Oval.

Views: 3,921

bornadog
25-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Very impressed with Lynch

Dry Rot
25-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I suspect my view of the game is tainted by the company - a room full of idiot Swans fans who either talked through the game or got up and played darts around the corner.

WTF happened for the first half of the 3rd quarter?

I know its really early days, but we still seem:

1. To go sleep

2. To have problems with clearances

3. To fail to put defensive pressure on up forward

4. General tackling has improved, but the Swans broke through a number of half hearted attempts

5. No real forward structure

Hopefully a few of these areas will change as senior players come back to the side.

Grumpy Rot

firstdogonthemoon
25-02-2007, 05:55 PM
I suspect my view of the game is tainted by the company - a room full of idiot Swans fans who either talked through the game or got up and played darts around the corner.

WTF happened for the first half of the 3rd quarter?

I know its really early days, but we still seem:

1. To go sleep

2. To have problems with clearances

3. To fail to put defensive pressure on up forward

4. General tackling has improved, but the Swans broke through a number of half hearted attempts

5. No real forward structure

Hopefully a few of these areas will change as senior players come back to the side.

Grumpy Rot

If I was an articulate and knowledgable football person this is the thread I would have written.

What he said.

I demand explanations from the other articulate and knowledgable football people. What needs to change?

dog town
25-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I thought we were fairly ordinary to be honest but we blew the cobwebs out fairly well. Looked pretty happy to just rely on our edge in skill and pace to get us home and it was interesting to see who stood up when they closed the game down and came at us in the 3rd quarter.

Power- Probably the most assured game I have seen from him. Took care of his man and still gave plenty of run from behind with his disposal being as good as I can remember from him. The poor kick in could have happened to anyone but I still maintain he should never kick in as he just hesitates to often.

Higgins- Really liked his second half where he was a very dangerous player at ground level especially up forward. Loose balls and stoppages up forward were his most productive areas. Really wanted to see his clean hands in the midfield more often.

Faulkner- Eade gave him plenty of opportunity. He was ok but I thought his decision making with the ball was a bit off and he chose a few wrong options or didn't move the ball quick enough. Got a little bit more of the ball in the handball recieve/uncontested possesion sort situation but still needs more to play 1sts consistently.

Mcmahon- Played his normal type game and was one of our best I thought. Took some good steadying marks down back.

Doogs- Fitted in nicely for us with his mobility. Blazed away by foot a bit I thought and that isnt really suited to our style.

Lynch- I liked that he didn't just rely on opportunist snaps and crumbing goals but got 2 goals from marks which shows the potential for a pretty solid all round game. Wouldn't play him or Harbrow first up but it was a positive game.

Harbrow- Got a very good change of direction that can break a line. Not ready yet but will be dangerous no matter where he plays.

Ray- Almost got killed by Goodes because he didn't put his body over the ball which is a good way to get hurt.

dog town
25-02-2007, 08:11 PM
We lost 6 clearances in a row at one stage even though we won all 6 taps. The ball would get hit to space and either our player would be to close to the tap and it would get behind him or we would have no player in that area.

Our forward line didn't really work but we experimented with a few guys and it was very windy by the looks of it. Not concerned by the forward line.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Ray- Almost got killed by Goodes because he didn't put his body over the ball which is a good way to get hurt.

How did he go through-out the rest of the game do you think? This is exactly the type of thing that Ray really needs to improve on.

dog town
26-02-2007, 05:07 PM
He went ok I would say but no better. He actually went back into a pack in our backline with great courage but cant remember if it was after the first incident. Might just be a positioning/ coaching thing that made it look bad in the earlier incident because he shows great courage at times. Best way to give yourself the best chance of getting a possesion at ground level is to cut across the back of the ball and square your shoulders up with the ball but he looked to go a bit half hearted and thats when you get hurt especially at his size.

Raw Toast
27-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I thought we were fairly ordinary to be honest but we blew the cobwebs out fairly well. Looked pretty happy to just rely on our edge in skill and pace to get us home and it was interesting to see who stood up when they closed the game down and came at us in the 3rd quarter.

Power- Probably the most assured game I have seen from him. Took care of his man and still gave plenty of run from behind with his disposal being as good as I can remember from him. The poor kick in could have happened to anyone but I still maintain he should never kick in as he just hesitates to often.

Higgins- Really liked his second half where he was a very dangerous player at ground level especially up forward. Loose balls and stoppages up forward were his most productive areas. Really wanted to see his clean hands in the midfield more often.

Faulkner- Eade gave him plenty of opportunity. He was ok but I thought his decision making with the ball was a bit off and he chose a few wrong options or didn't move the ball quick enough. Got a little bit more of the ball in the handball recieve/uncontested possesion sort situation but still needs more to play 1sts consistently.

Mcmahon- Played his normal type game and was one of our best I thought. Took some good steadying marks down back.

Doogs- Fitted in nicely for us with his mobility. Blazed away by foot a bit I thought and that isnt really suited to our style.

Lynch- I liked that he didn't just rely on opportunist snaps and crumbing goals but got 2 goals from marks which shows the potential for a pretty solid all round game. Wouldn't play him or Harbrow first up but it was a positive game.

Harbrow- Got a very good change of direction that can break a line. Not ready yet but will be dangerous no matter where he plays.

Great report DT. I haven't seen the game yet (I listened to most of it on radio but the coverage was pretty terrible)so have a few questions for those who've seen the game.

How did Harris and Wight go? Who was Power's opponent? And how would you rate the games of Addison and DMac?

dog town
27-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Great report DT. I haven't seen the game yet (I listened to most of it on radio but the coverage was pretty terrible)so have a few questions for those who've seen the game.

How did Harris and Wight go? Who was Power's opponent? And how would you rate the games of Addison and DMac?
The defenders all got swapped around alot.

Harris- Got beaten on the lead a few times by young and inexperienced opponents. Ran off pretty well and took a few marks but still concerned with the amount of shots on goal his opponents are getting. Hope Brown plays this week as it should give him a good yard stick. Hard to judge when he is playing on kids in a low intensity game.

Wight- Got alot of time for him but he was a bit off his game at times. Got beaten a couple of times and another time was easily moved under the ball by one of Sydneys younger talls but he dropped the mark. Took a ridiculously courageous mark running with the flight.

Power- Definetly played on O'Keefe for a little while and kept him fairly quiet. Would have played on others but it was hard to pick up. Noticed Gilbee playing on talls at times just like last year. Probably the best all round game I have seen from Power in that mid size defender role because he used the ball very well and actually competed with and beat an opponent. Often when he has played down back he has become nothing more than a link and recieve man.

Really liked Addison every time I have seen him. Makes mistakes because of his inexperience but he has good pace , a good leap and is very brave. He seems to have all the tools. He was good I thought and looked to be playing as a small defender which he stuck to very well.

McCormack- Didn't appear as slow as he had looked late last year although I thought it was a bit unfair that he copped so much criticism. Pretty penetrating by foot and had a dip. Not bas impressive as Addison but didn't do alot wrong.

alwaysadog
27-02-2007, 10:51 PM
How did we go?

I am quite pleased - I thought a number of people with ???? over their heads stood up - doogs, missy, even dmac

there were unexpected contributions from baird (it was a bit patchy but......) and skipper wasnt too bad either

and how about harbrow and lynch!!

wight turned up, and all of the experienced players who played turned up as well

griffen is a monster A MONSTER do you understand what i am saying

oh migod he is football GOOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD

must have a lie down

A very balanced analysis IMO.

alwaysadog
27-02-2007, 10:54 PM

Harris- Got beaten on the lead a few times by young and inexperienced opponents. Ran off pretty well and took a few marks but still concerned with the amount of shots on goal his opponents are getting. Hope Brown plays this week as it should give him a good yard stick. Hard to judge when he is playing on kids in a low intensity game.

Wight- Got alot of time for him but he was a bit off his game at times. Got beaten a couple of times and another time was easily moved under the ball by one of Sydneys younger talls but he dropped the mark. Took a ridiculously courageous mark running with the flight.

Power- Definetly played on O'Keefe for a little while and kept him fairly quiet. Would have played on others but it was hard to pick up. Noticed Gilbee playing on talls at times just like last year. Probably the best all round game I have seen from Power in that mid size defender role because he used the ball very well and actually competed with and beat an opponent. Often when he has played down back he has become nothing more than a link and recieve man.

Really liked Addison every time I have seen him. Makes mistakes because of his inexperience but he has good pace , a good leap and is very brave. He seems to have all the tools. He was good I thought and looked to be playing as a small defender which he stuck to very well.

McCormack- Didn't appear as slow as he had looked late last year although I thought it was a bit unfair that he copped so much criticism. Pretty penetrating by foot and had a dip. Not bas impressive as Addison but didn't do alot wrong.

Can't find anything to disagree with. :D

Raw Toast
28-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Ta muchly DT.

My feeling listening to the radio was the McCormack worked his way into the game. Good to hear that he started using his kick to advantage. IIRC the raps on him initially were that he was a good long kick and good in the air as well. Got lots of competition for a spot but if he can find some composure at senior level then the least he'll do is give us some more depth, and hopefully something more than that.

I guess we need to be careful about expectations for Wight given that he only really started breaking into the team late last year, so he's probably going to take time to find some consistency. Great that he took that mark because it means he was able to come back and have an impact (inspiring others with courage and skill) after what sounds like a bit of a disappointing day.

I'm a little bit worried about Harris to be honest - clearly he''s already very important to us, the question is to whether he's going to be able to fulfill the promise of becoming a real scrooge who creates as well. His best is so valuable to us, but the difference between his best and worst is greater than we'd like it to be, and as you say, he still leaks a few easy goals even when seeming to dominate.

Addison continues to sound v promising and a bit of a Clayton special. Pace, leap, bravery and a willingness to take opponents on suits us v nicely. The thing I'm going to be looking for with him is what kind of vision and footskills he has. Seems like he has the ability to run and create and thus be a good to v good player. If he can then use the ball with vision he could break games apart.

Vision has not been a problem with Power, imo. He just hasn't used it much at senior level, especially when playing down back. Maybe his stints up forward, where you can't really just link but have to create, have helped him get to the confidence to look for the best option (rather than the easiest). Eade playing him on Johnno in the practice match and then O'Keefe suggests both a vote of confidence and that he's challenging him to prove himself against the best. I reckon O'Keefe was the most dangerous Swan playing last week, given Goodes was always going to play in bursts and Kirk was being brought back slowly as well. Be interesting to see where Eade plays Power this week.

dog town
28-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Ta muchly DT.

My feeling listening to the radio was the McCormack worked his way into the game. Good to hear that he started using his kick to advantage. IIRC the raps on him initially were that he was a good long kick and good in the air as well. Got lots of competition for a spot but if he can find some composure at senior level then the least he'll do is give us some more depth, and hopefully something more than that.

I guess we need to be careful about expectations for Wight given that he only really started breaking into the team late last year, so he's probably going to take time to find some consistency. Great that he took that mark because it means he was able to come back and have an impact (inspiring others with courage and skill) after what sounds like a bit of a disappointing day.

I'm a little bit worried about Harris to be honest - clearly he''s already very important to us, the question is to whether he's going to be able to fulfill the promise of becoming a real scrooge who creates as well. His best is so valuable to us, but the difference between his best and worst is greater than we'd like it to be, and as you say, he still leaks a few easy goals even when seeming to dominate.

Addison continues to sound v promising and a bit of a Clayton special. Pace, leap, bravery and a willingness to take opponents on suits us v nicely. The thing I'm going to be looking for with him is what kind of vision and footskills he has. Seems like he has the ability to run and create and thus be a good to v good player. If he can then use the ball with vision he could break games apart.

Vision has not been a problem with Power, imo. He just hasn't used it much at senior level, especially when playing down back. Maybe his stints up forward, where you can't really just link but have to create, have helped him get to the confidence to look for the best option (rather than the easiest). Eade playing him on Johnno in the practice match and then O'Keefe suggests both a vote of confidence and that he's challenging him to prove himself against the best. I reckon O'Keefe was the most dangerous Swan playing last week, given Goodes was always going to play in bursts and Kirk was being brought back slowly as well. Be interesting to see where Eade plays Power this week. Had another look at the first half last night and McCormack was better thn I thought. He got a bit of it actually.

Agree with concerns on Harris.

Addison does tend to spray his kicks a bit and doesn't steady up when he kicks. Plenty of work to do for the kid but he has impressed me.

Would be massive for the side if Power can play on those sort of players more often. It would free up Morris to play on more dangerous players who play closer to goal. When we drafted him most of us saw his height and thought he will develop as a third or 4th tal down back who can run and create but he has had trouble playing as a defender. The signs were good on saturday though and he looked alot more comfortable in that role and is clearly bigger again. In one contest he got to the ball at the same time as O'Keefe nudged him off it and then shot off one of those lightning handpasses of his. Wasn't alot of one on one contests between the two but it will do alot for his confidence. Brisbane have an incredibly young side in right now. Power might end up on Brennan or Patfull but who you just dont know such is the transformation to Brisbanes list.

One thing I noticed that I left out was that Guido was very good at the clearances in the first half and the team was probably on top at the stoppages during that time. The second half was probably the other way around.

alwaysadog
28-02-2007, 09:35 PM

RT I agree with just about everything else you have said but IMHO the seemingly easy ones Brian gave up were when we let them dominate thew clearances and spot up forwards. It looks easy to stop but when it comes lace out on the forward's chest he has no hope.