PDA

View Full Version : Brian Lake

LostDoggy
03-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Whats does everyone think of his form this season ?

As much as I rate him as one of the most important players in the side I have been slightly disappointed with his season. I'm not sure if he carried an injury during the early part of the year (I think I read here that he had an interrupted pre-season) he just hasnt been the solid contributor of previous years.

How have you rated his season ?

Stevo
03-08-2008, 10:18 AM
It hasn't been a consistent season for big Bryza. I'm not sure if it is the injuries or the fact that he hasn't had another key backman assisting him but he does need to lift his performance if we are to make the the big day late in September.

bornadog
03-08-2008, 11:02 AM
He has had a dodgy knee for most of the season which has effected his confidence, however, when he gets a chance, he doesn't mind going for a run down the ground.

The one area he must improve on for the finals is his decision making, especially when he hesitates and has time to think.

Rocket Science
03-08-2008, 11:22 AM
No doubting he's had a couple of howlers of quarters and halves this season, but overall I'm still fairly content with what Bryza's given us this season.

Agreed on the momentary lapses of sanity with the pill in his hands, and he could show his direct opponent a little more respect at times, so there's certainly room for refinement, but he's still been an integral contributor far more often than not. We'd be stuffed without him.

1eyedog
03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Bloody glad he's there every week, love his laconic style of football, he is like the quiet larrikin. Been a bit down since he copped that whack on the side of the knee.

Cyberdoggie
03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
i think we are all forgetting he is clearly still injured.

I'm pretty sure he hurt his medial ligament many weeks ago and has continued to play heavily strapped. It has limited his ability to move (especially turning and also straight line running) but he is still effective as ever in the goal square.

BulldogBelle
03-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Lake has been ok for the most part but at times his concentration is a bit off. In saying that he has been hampered with that niggling knee injury throughout the season.

He is a very integral part of the Bulldog structure without him in the side things could turn nasty very quickly.

bornadog
03-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Lake has been ok for the most part but at times his concentration is a bit off. In saying that he has been hampered with that niggling knee injury throughout the season.

He is a very integral part of the Bulldog structure without him in the side things could turn nasty very quickly.

I thought he did well today against Hall. Did have one brain fade, I think in the last when he bounced the ball, then touched it on the ground, then coughed it up:(

mjp
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Caught in two minds with no-one to kick too I suspect.

bornadog
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Caught in two minds with no-one to kick too I suspect.

correct

Rocket Science
03-08-2008, 07:06 PM
I thought he did well today against Hall. Did have one brain fade, I think in the last when he bounced the ball, then touched it on the ground, then coughed it up:(

Liked his game too...Particularly enjoyed the one-handed pick-up of the ball off the deck while at full pelt on the far wing. Authoritative!

ledge
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Put him in perspective here with all the other sides, how many teams have better fullbacks?
1 error and it gets blown out because it usually results in a goal,all i can say is thank god Minson or Johnno dont play at fullback.
He is a great fullback, last week he did well untill halftime but did we all notice the passes Fev got after that, they all hit him on the chest low down , no fullback will stop that.
One on one Lake is fantastic, he punches when he has to and marks when he has to, he runs off which makes his opponent responsible.
Underestimated by the media and a few of us I think.

LostDoggy
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
He has been carrying an injury all year, which is very painful at times I heard. As soon as our season is over he will be booked in for surgery. He is irreplaceable in our team so that makes him invaluable.

Sockeye Salmon
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
We all love Morris because he rarely makes a mistake and rarely coughs up goals. He also rarely provides much rebound.

Lake has that attacking edge to his game that costs us goals sometimes but creates goals too. Defensive marks that can catch the other mob on the rebound are gold and Brian is up there with Tom Harley for them.

hujsh
03-08-2008, 08:26 PM
We all love Morris because he rarely makes a mistake and rarely coughs up goals. He also rarely provides much rebound.

Lake has that attacking edge to his game that costs us goals sometimes but creates goals too. Defensive marks that can catch the other mob on the rebound are gold and Brian is up there with Tom Harley for them.

Better than. Harley doesn't take the best forward as well.

1eyedog
03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
i think we are all forgetting he is clearly still injured.

I'm pretty sure he hurt his medial ligament many weeks ago and has continued to play heavily strapped. It has limited his ability to move (especially turning and also straight line running) but he is still effective as ever in the goal square.

No I'm not hence the post before yours

Eadey Rider
03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
i think he's done pretty well generally.

My only gripe with him is he does have a tendency to get caught a few metres behind his opponent. Yes, running off players is great for rebound, and i'd never begrudge him those runs. But when he is staying at home, he really needs to be in the number 1 forward's pocket. He stands 2-3m away from his opponent way too often for mine, and especially gets caught out when his opponent uses a pack to block Lake's chase.

Still love the guy, but i reckon those are the brain fades that are the most costly.

Sockeye Salmon
04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
i think he's done pretty well generally.

My only gripe with him is he does have a tendency to get caught a few metres behind his opponent. Yes, running off players is great for rebound, and i'd never begrudge him those runs. But when he is staying at home, he really needs to be in the number 1 forward's pocket. He stands 2-3m away from his opponent way too often for mine, and especially gets caught out when his opponent uses a pack to block Lake's chase.

Still love the guy, but i reckon those are the brain fades that are the most costly.

You can't have it both ways.

We all want everyone to be perfect but the world doesn't work like that. It's standing off his man that 2-3 metres that allows him to zone off and take defensive marks that quickly turn into attacks (and don't give opposition crumbers the chance to do their stuff).

I'd hate him to go back into his shell and be more defensive. The price you pay is that sometimes he will get caught out.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Better than. Harley doesn't take the best forward as well.

Not sure if I'd say he's better than Harley. Both play different positions. If we had a bigger genuine full back I think Lake would be perfect for that roaming harley like backmans role.

hujsh
04-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Not sure if I'd say he's better than Harley. Both play different positions. If we had a bigger genuine full back I think Lake would be perfect for that roaming harley like backmans role.

He's better at taking marks off opposition kicks. Can do it contested instead of just floating off his man.

dog town
04-08-2008, 07:12 PM
He is a very good player and is still having a good season. His attack and marking in the backline are major parts of our game. He can still improve his attacking aspects aswell but its his defensive part that needs slight improvement.

He will always give up a few goals because he is so attacking but he needs to trim a few of his opponents. You can cop the goals where he is caught out after attacking but he probably needs to give up less goals where he is beaten on the lead. I certainly dont think its fair that they put the goals against tally in the herald sun though and have Lake up the top. Can be hard to stop your direct opponent if your playing on two others at the same time.

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Side note-how good was Lake's one hand ball pick up and quick disposal outer centre wing?

BulldogBelle
04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Side note-how good was Lake's one hand ball pick up and quick disposal outer centre wing?

It was great he just bent down scooped it up and didn't even break his stride. Great to watch.

craigsahibee
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
It was great he just bent down scooped it up and didn't even break his stride. Great to watch.

He didn't scoop it, he grabbed it palm down. At speed it was pretty good stuff. Love it when he runs off his man scarlett like. Just as long as someone else covers for him. Should take off on those long runs from defense like Kingsley Hunter used to do...........once.;)

LostDoggy
04-08-2008, 10:46 PM
The pick up was very Brennan like (From Brisbane)

bornadog
04-08-2008, 11:13 PM
It was 'special'.

Thanks Bruce:D

bornadog
04-08-2008, 11:14 PM
He didn't scoop it, he grabbed it palm down. At speed it was pretty good stuff. Love it when he runs off his man scarlett like. Just as long as someone else covers for him. Should take off on those long runs from defense like Kingsley Hunter used to do...........once.;)

Difference is Kingsley didn't have a ticker.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 01:18 AM
Difference is Kingsley didn't have a ticker.

but he had pretty mean eyebrows

LostDoggy
05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
but he had pretty mean eyebrows

Incorrect. Its eyebrow, not brows.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM

You must be really bored:D I see two eyebrows it has to be plural, he has one brow line but two distinct eyebrows. I can't believe I'm having this discussion but it is becoming more interesting the more I write. Is it really one eyebrow even though they do not appear connected? Never thought about it before but there was this guy at St. Joeys in Geelong where I went to school who had what we called a mono-brow

craigsahibee
05-08-2008, 09:26 AM
You must be really bored:D I see two eyebrows, he has one brow line but two distinct eyebrows. I can't believe I'm having this discussion but it is becoming more interesting the more I write. Is it really one eyebrow even though they do not appear connected? Never thought about it before but there was this guy at St. Joeys in Geelong where I went to school who had what we called a mono-brow

Kinglsey definitely had 2 eyebrows. One was permanently frozen in a "serious" mode while the other was left in a quizzical state of mind.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Kinglsey definitely had 2 eyebrows. One was permanently frozen in a "serious" mode while the other was left in a quizzical state of mind.

That's pretty funny, he was kind of like the famous (Michaelangelo?) thinker statue who finally worked out he didn't understand what he was thinking about.

1eyedog
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM

If we are talking grammar, pronunciation or proper Queen's English it's it's not its.

LostDoggy
05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
If we are talking grammar, pronunciation or proper Queen's English it's it's not its.

Not talking grammar, talking fact, Kingsley is a well known mono-brow.